• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 19th: PM2019 060 - Aim to Become Leek Master! Stay With Me, Chivalry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Not sure I agree with this take when neither Gengar or Dragonite have gotten a character focus episode at all after capture and have been around longer so Far fetched getting three REALLY isn't something wotth getting negative about because it took a little long (because they obviously wanted to focus on Lucario first) yeah the pacing is a little eh but I really don't think it's worth the fuss
Gengar and Dragonite at least appeared in episodes and got to battle relatively close to their capture episodes. Again, it’s not the quantity of episodes but how long it took for them to happen. I’m not really complaining about it now: I just think the criticisms prior to the Gallade episode were justified.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I don't get that palpitoad thing at all? It was still a Mon ash caught in unova that was shafted, why shouldn't it be brought up? People feared Farfetch'd would be the same too soon.
I myself have said that the pacing isn't good but it does have arc and focus which doesn't make it shafted. Unlike noivern Farfetch'd got more development and focus, and it's evolving before the halfway mark of the series, so.....
Also for Lucario, it had an arc going for itself too, unlike Farfetch'd riolu was a complete novice, an egg hatched baby Mon, obviously baby Mon would appear in episodes clinging to ash. It got its bea arc and evolved in the darkest day. After that it's not been relevant at all. Appearing in episodes here and there isn't being a "screenhog", dragonite gets the same treatment too. Gengar is the only one who appears less. That "focus" lucario is getting doesn't mean it's a screenhog, it's the proper focus a Mon should get to evolve. Heck Farfetch'd evolution is more properly set up and built up to then riolu's I'd argue.

The pacing is off I agree, but you have to keep in mind that there were other arcs going on, and people did say to keep patient, that after those arcs it will get its focus.

The argument was that it won't end up being shafted, the pacing is off but it got its focus

I don't get you people, first you hated a Mon for not getting much focus and now that's it's getting focus ur annoyed and want it to go back to being irrelevant. Stop still being salty about sobble lmao, even if u didn't want ash to catch Farfetch'd, doesn't mean it's arc should be cut short and it shouldn't get focus. Make it make sense

Oh I never hated Farfetch'd for not appearing, it not appearing just proved what a useless capture it was for me lol. I never liked the bird and never will. It will always be second fiddle behind Lucario and his capture was pointless. And that's regardless of Sobble. Even if Ash caught both of them it would still be a pointless capture due to his redundant typing and that regardless of what the bird does, Lucario is always going to be Ash's first choice as a fighting type.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Oh I never hated Farfetch'd for not appearing, it not appearing just proved what a useless capture it was for me lol. I never liked the bird and never will. It will always be second fiddle behind Lucario and his capture was pointless. And that's regardless of Sobble. Even if Ash caught both of them it would still be a pointless capture due to his redundant typing and that regardless of what the bird does, Lucario is always going to be Ash's first choice as a fighting type.
So just because it's a fighting type it's useless? Even tho it's a complete different type of mon, with a COMPLETE DIFFERENT type of fighting style unique to its species, and it's lore has it as a battle heavy Pokémon tailor made for ash, it's getting focus and development, yet it shouldn't because you don't like it? Seems unfair to me

desdar300

So just because it's a fighting type it's useless? Even tho it's a complete different type of mon, with a COMPLETE DIFFERENT type of fighting style unique to its species, and it's lore has it as a battle heavy Pokémon tailor made for ash, it's getting focus and development, yet it shouldn't because you don't like it? Seems unfair to me
If Ash gets a certain bear it'll feel redundant IMO

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
It's the fact that it's a fighting type in name only that makes it useless to me tbh. I hate it when the writers give Ash a pokemon then just completely ignore all of it's typings. It's the same problem I had with Gliscor although at least he was likeable.

If you're going to do multiple of the same type of pokemon, at least give them secondary typings and focus on those without ignoring the other type.

dman_dustin

Why are people expecting that everything shown in the OP would debut instantly, lol. It ain't in a preview trailer so it doesn't have any reason to be introduced so early. Since the OP is here to stay for some time it's obvious all the events would be spread out instead of happening all at once. Patience people, patience.

Because it was lackluster otherwise. In other words if they were playing the long game I would've preferred a lot more than what little we did get.

It also runs the risk of the openining changing before we get to see anything if what was shown, not explicitly like Leon arc in Galar but not seeing Leon until after the next opening change.

Watershuriken97

Because it was lackluster otherwise. In other words if they were playing the long game I would've preferred a lot more than what little we did get.

It also runs the risk of the openining changing before we get to see anything if what was shown, not explicitly like Leon arc in Galar but not seeing Leon until after the next opening change.
But pokemon has never worked like that? the XYZ opening shows mega sceptile vs ash-greninja, that happened in the 35th episode of the season, out of 49. final form Zygarde was even later than that. Sinnoh league victors show ash's old pokemon, but the first ones don't appear until the 25th episode of the season. Riolu/rabboot didnt appear until the last 3 episodes of the the last opening? The new opening (including the confirmed unaired episodes) isn't even 12 episodes in? yes these openings have been changing a little faster than other regions, but that doesn't take away that the big moments looking from a % perspective are still on about the usual course pokemon takes.

And I don't really get the 'risk' part? they still choose when the opening changes, there is no magical force that gives them a limit, the first version was until episode 31, 2nd to 49... this OP could be 30, 18 or any length in between or beyond.

dman_dustin

But pokemon has never worked like that? the XYZ opening shows mega sceptile vs ash-greninja, that happened in the 35th episode of the season, out of 49. final form Zygarde was even later than that. Sinnoh league victors show ash's old pokemon, but the first ones don't appear until the 25th episode of the season. Riolu/rabboot didnt appear until the last 3 episodes of the the last opening? The new opening (including the confirmed unaired episodes) isn't even 12 episodes in? yes these openings have been changing a little faster than other regions, but that doesn't take away that the big moments looking from a % perspective are still on about the usual course pokemon takes.

And I don't really get the 'risk' part? they still choose when the opening changes, there is no magical force that gives them a limit, the first version was until episode 31, 2nd to 49... this OP could be 30, 18 or any length in between or beyond.

All the opening showed was Iris and Gary, and that's it.

Nothing to look forward to at all (well beyond that). As for other openings they had things going for them.

Why put Iris or Gary if the episode wasn't finished on some level? I would expect people, or kids to want to see things quickly not 30 episodes from the beginning.

And while you may be right that the openings these days don't matter "short term" that wasn't always the case. Back in Diamond and Pearl era, openings AT most only revealed 18 episodes from the reveal in the opening, and I believe that was just Dawn getting Togekiss, whereas Infernape and Torterra happened a lot sooner.

Its bizarre that we see Gary and Iris, and yet Farfetch'd is likely to evolve before they show up, so why show us "Farfetch'd?" and not Sirfetch'd whereas they had no problem revealing Lucario and Cinderace. Hell the opening BARELY has Dracovish in it which is also extremely weird.

Why have an opening when the animation or dialogue of the episode hasn't been finished. Remember X&Y where we got a somewhat of an upcoming episodes preview, and it revealed to us Ash vs Clemont. Imagine they hadn't finished the animation or dialogue of THAT episode (well they didn't need to be 100% finished of course but just enough should've been done, obviously final touches to the episode still would've needed to happen), but imagine instead they just created the animation and the dialogue JUST for the upcoming episode preview but were a few weeks away from actually doing voice lines FOR that episode because it was still months away from airing, rather than just finishing the episode to add to a stockpile, of episodes already created.

That's the issue here, of course, there is the issue of Covid-19, so maybe they couldn't get her to voice the lines sooner, but that sounds more like the episode's animation is already done and they just needed dialogue for the episode. Does it really need to take months for the dialogue to be added to a finished episode to air in time? (I mean we still have 4 episodes to go before we get into uncharted waters here, why couldn't Gary be late April or early May?)

It would be nice if they'd just reveal exactly how production is done, for example, how many episodes at any given time, are completely ready to air on TV Tokyo but they don't air 2 episodes a week or more, because that eventually eats into the stockpile they've created. Is TV Tokyo really only given 2 or so episodes in advance or something? I ask because in Best Wishes they had to replace the Team Plasma two parter and go straight into the gym, then the Emolga episode and so on forth. So I'd assume that means they had at least 3-4 episodes in advance. 3 if we go with the gym, and then the Emolga episode was sent to them during the week. Or even 4.

I don't know, I was just disappointed with the opening revealing only Iris and Gary, and apparently having to wait to June or July for Gary seems unnecessary to me. The lack of Dracovish, just the Farfetch'd, the structure of the opening not really showing off Ash's Pokemon except in far off shots, compared to 2nd version of the opening. The hype of Iris and Gary are waning, unless at least Iris does show up in April.

Did you not watch the most recent episode about Farfetch'd learning its lesson in chivalry?

I think the point was more he already has Chivalry...why more Chivalry?

Like a Pokemon learning and mastering energy ball so to speak but then a future episode is like "Master Energy Ball" didn't already master energy ball? Or is this more about Farfetch'd still failing against Gallade, and doubts Ash as a trainer, but then shakes its head so to speak and then choosing to fault itself more than its trainer resulting in a critical hit evolution.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
It would be nice if they'd just reveal exactly how production is done, for example, how many episodes at any given time, are completely ready to air on TV Tokyo but they don't air 2 episodes a week or more, because that eventually eats into the stockpile they've created. Is TV Tokyo really only given 2 or so episodes in advance or something? I ask because in Best Wishes they had to replace the Team Plasma two parter and go straight into the gym, then the Emolga episode and so on forth. So I'd assume that means they had at least 3-4 episodes in advance. 3 if we go with the gym, and then the Emolga episode was sent to them during the week. Or even 4.

We know that XY&Z8 (which aired December 17th 2015) had already had its dialogue recorded when XY87 aired September 10th. So TV Tokyo had at least three months worth of episodes ready to air at the time.

Watershuriken97

It would be nice if they'd just reveal exactly how production is done, for example, how many episodes at any given time, are completely ready to air on TV Tokyo but they don't air 2 episodes a week or more, because that eventually eats into the stockpile they've created. Is TV Tokyo really only given 2 or so episodes in advance or something?
I still don't fully agree on your points on the showing of gary/iris... because an e4 is kinda hype to show since it's the first of this season... though i understand given your argument about kids, they might not know who wikstrom is. Then again kids won't really know iris or gary either unless parents made them binge older shows... so your point helps and hurts your case xD

But on the production note, generally anime start with about 4 to 10 episodes done and usually the lower end of that spectrum, with pokemon being this long of a show I'm not entirely sure... but i doubt they are on the longer end of that spectrum, though they could be outsourcing their episodes a bit more than say Mappa or Bones does... I'm no expert on this, but I'd imagine the 'special previews' are generally the amount of full episodes they are ahead of schedule, maybe a bit more

Watershuriken97

We know that XY&Z8 (which aired December 17th 2015) had already had its dialogue recorded when XY87 aired September 10th. So TV Tokyo had at least three months worth of episodes ready to air at the time.
But on the production note, generally anime start with about 4 to 10 episodes done and usually the lower end of that spectrum, with pokemon being this long of a show I'm not entirely sure... but i doubt they are on the longer end of that spectrum, though they could be outsourcing their episodes a bit more than say Mappa or Bones does... I'm no expert on this, but I'd imagine the 'special previews' are generally the amount of full episodes they are ahead of schedule, maybe a bit more
Ok that makes the pacing issues even less excusable, but that's a nice insight to have, kinda shocked given japan's usual style of production....

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
When the Ginga-dan arc was airing Iwane was working #171--a full twenty episodes after what was broadcasting. We also know from that behind-the-scenes for SM that production had begun back in May of that year. So, typically, key animation was being drawn five months beforehand. Furthermore, we know that storyboarding can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks and that scripts take about two weeks. That would mean episodes are being broken probably eight months before they air.

'Pacing' is such a relative term. Pokemon is a series that makes heavy use of episodic episodes and spreads its plots out usually pretty thinly or in groups. Why have we not had the Shigeru episode yet? Because they don't feel like it. Also, the longer they wait the easier it is to plan the staff. This is why Iwane was able to key animate so much of the last twenty episodes of Diamond & Pearl.

dman_dustin

I still don't fully agree on your points on the showing of gary/iris... because an e4 is kinda hype to show since it's the first of this season... though i understand given your argument about kids, they might not know who wikstrom is. Then again kids won't really know iris or gary either unless parents made them binge older shows... so your point helps and hurts your case xD

But we knew about Wikstrom before the opening changed because of the upcoming episodes preview which came out BEFORE the Dracovish episode (the opening change).

That's exactly why I didn't care to include Wikstrom in terms of hype in the opening, because we saw him in the preview, that kids would've seen as well.

Besides my argument was more about patience level, rather than them not knowing the characters (I don't think they want to see random people in the opening if it takes nearly 5 or 6 months to get to that episode)

Pteranodonte

The only useless capture would have been a coward mon like Sobble that would have been useless in fights. Thank god Ash got the duck and not the crybaby lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.