• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 23rd: SM19 - Intense Electric Shock Training! A Rematch with Kapu-Kokeko!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i'd be pretty impressed if rockruff curbstomped in its first trainer battle with ash lol. i expect it to win, but not easily. but i wonder if they're gonna put more focus on this battle or the one with tapu koko (probably the latter).

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
i'd be pretty impressed if rockruff curbstomped in its first trainer battle with ash lol. i expect it to win, but not easily. but i wonder if they're gonna put more focus on this battle or the one with tapu koko (probably the latter).

Probably the battle against Tapu Koko, since that's the one in the title. I wouldn't be surprised if the episode opens with the Rockruff vs. Mudbray battle, jumping right into the middle of it.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Probably the battle against Tapu Koko, since that's the one in the title. I wouldn't be surprised if the episode opens with the Rockruff vs. Mudbray battle, jumping right into the middle of it.
That's actually what I expect to happen. Then maybe two or three minutes dedicated to the battle.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Literally only one person here believes it's a curbstomp.
Um, no. I think another guy has a slight belief on it:

And like mystic9899, I would be pretty impressed with a curbstomp in Rovkruff's first battle with Ash, if Rockruff's Z-move is shown in a pretty dazzling way xD. And I do expect it to be a short lived battle(because of the summary and the fact that it's a celebrity cameo), and majority of the focus going to the Pikachu vs Tapu Koko battle.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
If Rockruff's fight with the horse is short, then that better be a quick easy win to show off Rockruff's strength.
I still don't like that they're doing a rematch with Tapu Koko this early...... at least let Ash catch Litten and develop his team some more first. He doesn't stand a chance against it right now.

GenIV: Lucario? Nope.
GenV: Zoroark? Nope.
GenVI: Phantump? NOPE!
GenVII: Lycanroc? FINALLY!

Phantump? Wat? I love Phantump, but he's not that Pokemon from generation six. That was Espurr/Meowstic, and Sylveon I suppose.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Um, no. I think another guy has a slight belief on it:

And like mystic9899, I would be pretty impressed with a curbstomp in Rovkruff's first battle with Ash, if Rockruff's Z-move is shown in a pretty dazzling way xD. And I do expect it to be a short lived battle(because of the summary and the fact that it's a celebrity cameo), and majority of the focus going to the Pikachu vs Tapu Koko battle.
...He literally says in his post that he expects Rockruff to win, but not easily. He's saying he doesn't expect a curbstomp, but would be impressed if it happened.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

What does the celebrity cameo have to do with the length of the battle?

Also, as I mentioned in the earlier post, the summary line "Claim victory in an instant with a Z-move!" is written in the imperative tense, I believe, so it reads as more of a command (to Ash and/or Rockruff), rather than a confirmation of instant victory. I'm not saying that Rockruff won't win the battle with Breakneck Blitz, but I highly doubt this is going to be a curbstomp battle, unless Ash starts off the battle with a Z-move.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
...He literally says in his post that he expects Rockruff to win, but not easily. He's saying he doesn't expect a curbstomp, but would be impressed if it happened.
That's why I said he has a slight belief.
What does the celebrity cameo have to do with the length of the battle?
Celebrity cameos are actually very short lived.

Also, as I mentioned in the earlier post, the summary line "Claim victory in an instant with a Z-move!" is written in the imperative tense, I believe, so it reads as more of a command (to Ash and/or Rockruff), rather than a confirmation of instant victory. I'm not saying that Rockruff won't win the battle with Breakneck Blitz, but I highly doubt this is going to be a curbstomp battle, unless Ash starts off the battle with a Z-move.

It could be a command as well, but the fact that it's mentioned in the summary makes me think that it would be a thumping victory for Rockruff+the scan convinces me more. I'd just say now that lets wait and see what happens!

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
The only actual celebrity cameo we've had in the actual show before was when Sachiko Kobayashi played the mom WAY back in OS34. I assume that got promoted decently back then too.

Beyond that, such stunt casting is more of a movie thing.
Wouldn't Tomohisa Sako's self-insert in the first Kalos League match count? Although he didn't voice him so he wouldn't technically be a cast but a cameo also Ikue Ohtani from the Pikachu: The Movie episode with the Cosplay rodents?

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
it's fun seeing cameo appearances from people like abareru-kun in the anime. i hope we get to see more of these kinds of cameos in the future.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Wouldn't Tomohisa Sako's self-insert in the first Kalos League match count? Although he didn't voice him so he wouldn't technically be a cast but a cameo also Ikue Ohtani from the Pikachu: The Movie episode with the Cosplay rodents?

Modeling a characters after someone else isn't a "celebrity cameo", it's just an easter egg. The reason they're making a big deal out of this is that it's actually Abareru-kun the real person appearing in the anime.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Lucario was such a tease, but unfortunately, there were too many people owning one that it would be repetitive with Ash having one. (I'm expecting them to make changes to a certain SM character just to shove Lucario down our throats again...) That Riolu episode in Sinnoh just SCREAMED Ash getting one. (Then Iris suffered that syndrome multiple times).

Zoroark pretty much failed after its movie was over. Not even anime!N had a Zorua. The hell?

Phantump... Wait, why is Phantump popular?

We're not at Lycanroc yet, sadly...

Lol about Iris suffering the same syndrome.. Dat Deino-episode was a horror to watch.

Zoroark, yes.. That thing should've been central to the plot in Episode N, but it just got hamfisted into a Da!-filler (probably the worst one).

Phantump.. Well.. a few reasons why I named it..
- 1. Personal Bias: I really like it.
- 2. Opportunity: Ash had an opening in his team and no Grass-type.
- 3. Utility: With most of his team having a super-effective move against Grass, a Forest's Curse would help Aerial Ace, Flying Press, X-scissor, Acrobatics, Brave Bird and Flame Charge do more damage.
- 4. Uniqueness: It would've been Ash's first official Ghost-type.
- 5. Specificity: There was a shiny one... That wanted to see more of the world.. Yet it didn't happen.. -.-

Lycanroc. Well, I can't see them keeping it a Rockruff to be honest, Accelerock is just made for Ash to abuse. Or they could and I could be wrong. That being said, I can't see them giving Ash two quadrapeds as well, so either Midday and Incineroar, or Midnight and Torracat/Incineroar. Though I kinda just want Midday and Torracat, but I can accept Incineroar being on Ash's team considering the backstory this thing is getting.

Phantump? Wat? I love Phantump, but he's not that Pokemon from generation six. That was Espurr/Meowstic, and Sylveon I suppose.

I listed why I mentioned Phantump, but I don't necessarily see it as being in the same "group". I was more or less listing the pokémon from GenIV-VII that I at first thought had a chance/were teased, yet didn't happen. I 100% legit wasn't an Auraholic, but when that Ranger-episode happened, I definitely thought there was a possibility. If anything, Zoroark probably shouldn't be on this list, as I never expected Ash to get one.

Definitely not Meowstic though.. Probably just Sylveon.

Anime =/= games.

Don't forget, this is the same anime where a Serperior was taken out with one Electro Ball from a Pikachu and a Scyther was taken out with one Vine Whip from a Bulbasaur (no, I don't buy that BS excuse that Double Team lowers your defense, and no, I don't care that that is pretty much ancient history). We've seen Roxie's Koffing and Elesa's Tynamo as speed demons. Stats mean absolutely nothing in the anime. So I don't think it's too unbelievable that Rockruff could tank a couple hits from Mudbray.

Literally the first thing I said in that post was: "I know I shouldn't compare", implying Animé =/= Games, so nothing is forgotten.

But on the one hand, we're all talking about a game-mechanic that works for Mudbray's statistical advantage, yet we are supposed to ignore the basis of what that mechanic is influencing (the stats) when I'm discussing Rockruff. "With every hit, Mudbray's defenses toughen up because of its Stamina-ability! But lets not talk about Rockruff's defensive stat and whether it should be able to take super-effective hits.."

So besides the way that the mechanic for stats work in the games, which is an entirely different thing altogether, I concede, there's also a disconnect between what we feel is an acceptable degree of talking about that mechanic for one of the combatants. In essence: Talking about Mudbray boosting its defensive stat via ability is okay, but discussing Rockruff's defensive stat vs. super-effective moves is a big no-no. That's weird, counterintuitive and the bit of lack of realism (for as far that's possible in an animé) that I was mentioning.

Honestly, the way you're phrasing your dissent with the Double Team-excuse from back when some people on here weren't even born, makes me feel you agree with me more then you disagree..

I don't want to see "VGC: The Animé", but when I'm seeing a Shuckle, I assume it will take a few hits. When I see a Rockruff vs. AntiRock-Donkey, I assume it won't be able to last long if the nature of the battle is going to be "draw it out to showcase an element of the AntiRock-Donkey".

Cat's Eye Draco

Phantump.. Well.. a few reasons why I named it..
- 1. Personal Bias: I really like it.
- 2. Opportunity: Ash had an opening in his team and no Grass-type.
- 3. Utility: With most of his team having a super-effective move against Grass, a Forest's Curse would help Aerial Ace, Flying Press, X-scissor, Acrobatics, Brave Bird and Flame Charge do more damage.
- 4. Uniqueness: It would've been Ash's first official Ghost-type.
- 5. Specificity: There was a shiny one... That wanted to see more of the world.. Yet it didn't happen.. -.-

Not to mention that Phantump/Trevenant can learn will-o-wisp, which is usually depicted as a multicolored/ghostly version of flamethrower in the anime.

For the most part, I think the Phantump craze came from the fact that up until XY, Ash always caught at least one grass type a series, and every other Kalos option (Gogoat, Gorgeist, etc.) seemed to have been passed up. Therefore, Phantump/Trevenant became the "obvious" choice for his final slot.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Okay, moving away from my own tangents..

If you saw my post in the nonfiller-list thread, you would know that I assume that we're still in initial phase of SM. There's been a running plot for Rockruff, Litten and Tapu Koko (and maybe Team Skull) - and I believe that when these are finished we will see Ash travel the region more. So what I'm wondering is whether this episode concludes the Tapu Koko-plot (at least for its Melemele's story: judging Ash) or if there will be a need for another episode to conclude it.*

Because if the former is the case, then we only need to see Ash capture Litten and perhaps to see Team Skull set-up in a greater capacity, as in an introduction of Plumeria for instance, before there's nothing left set-up on Melemele and Ash is "free" to move on to Akala.

*This is assuming we will see Tapu Koko again in some capacity, but in a different narrative yet unrevealed. The current narrative is whether Tapu Koko judges Ash to be worthy.

Janovy

Banned
IMO, the Tapu Koko plot will be a long-running plot to continue late into the series of SM or at least until the bigger plot begins to unfold.

From my point of view, Tapu Koko is training Ash and I think it will appear continuously to measure Ash's progress.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
IMO, the Tapu Koko plot will be a long-running plot to continue late into the series of SM or at least until the bigger plot begins to unfold.

From my point of view, Tapu Koko is training Ash and I think it will appear continuously to measure Ash's progress.

This is what I'm thinking, as well--Tapu Koko is training Ash and will continuously appear (hiding the shadows, just out of sight) to monitor Ash's progress throughout the entire series, until the reason it took interest in Ash to begin with is revealed.

jrizza88

Meteorite
This is what I'm thinking, as well--Tapu Koko is training Ash and will continuously appear (hiding the shadows, just out of sight) to monitor Ash's progress throughout the entire series, until the reason it took interest in Ash to begin with is revealed.

maybe Ash will help it battle Ultra Beasts? I am really curious if they will just be apart of a movie, or a huge plot toward the end of the Sun and Moon anime series.

Red and Blue

maybe Ash will help it battle Ultra Beasts? I am really curious if they will just be apart of a movie, or a huge plot toward the end of the Sun and Moon anime series.

Given Lusamine's obsession with them I'd say they will make an appearance in the main storyline

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!

It is possible that some of them might not appear apart from movie. But it is highly unlikely that none of them will appear in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.