• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 23rd: SM19 - Intense Electric Shock Training! A Rematch with Kapu-Kokeko!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Given Lusamine's obsession with them I'd say they will make an appearance in the main storyline

I agree. Thanks to Lusamine's obsession with them, the Ultra Beasts are a major part of the storyline, and unlike with the XY legendaries (Xerneas/Yveltal being replaced with Zygarde), they can't be as easily replaced. So, I expect the Ultra Beasts to be in the main series, and not just relegated to a movie or two, and I expect Ash to join in the battle against them.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I can easily see Nihilego and Solgaleo or Lunala (possibly both) appearing in the main series. Some of the more obscure Ultra Beasts like Kartana and Celesteela may be relegated to movies, but with Lusamine playing a role in the animé, (she wouldn't have been introduced, especially this early on if she wasn't) there's no way Nihilego will merely be relegated to the movies. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Pheromosa and Buzzwole at the very least got cameos during the likely Ultra Beast arc.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I can easily see Nihilego and Solgaleo or Lunala (possibly both) appearing in the main series. Some of the more obscure Ultra Beasts like Kartana and Celesteela may be relegated to movies, but with Lusamine playing a role in the animé, (she wouldn't have been introduced, especially this early on if she wasn't) there's no way Nihilego will merely be relegated to the movies. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Pheromosa and Buzzwole at the very least got cameos during the likely Ultra Beast arc.

we can guarantee we'll see them in an opening soon, it'll add onto the opening of every movie how they talk about finding pokemon everywhere, now they'll add ultraspace most likely too. I'm curious if both Lunala AND Solgaleo will be in the anime or if they'll just choose one. Idk how they could just choose one, but I could see them leaning towards one more than the other as they usually seem to do in the anime. I do like the idea of them keeping some of the UBs for a movie, like GUzzlorde and another, and then having the rest in the anime.

I'm hoping Ash is given the role of sympathizer with the UB's, and he makes the connection between them. Curious if he\'ll end up going through a portal due to Cosmog, and then the UB's will be attracted to him. I'm sure they'll put that into the anime or movie.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
I don't expect Ash to put up much of a challenge to Tapu Koko, but I do think he will do better than last time. I do hope there is a good reason for why Tapu Koko is literally stalking Ash and wanting him to get better, and it better not be like "Because he is the chosen one to save the world from blah blah blah".

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I don't expect Ash to put up much of a challenge to Tapu Koko, but I do think he will do better than last time. I do hope there is a good reason for why Tapu Koko is literally stalking Ash and wanting him to get better, and it better not be like "Because he is the chosen one to save the world from blah blah blah".

I think that Pikachu will push Tapu Koko to its limits or seriously damage it. I don't think it will beat Tapu Koko this time- I think the battle will be interrupted after Pikachu does quite some damage to Tapu Koko.

I'm hoping that maybe each of the Tapus have a goal for four of the group members - similar to how Tapu Koko has a goal for the player in-game. I can easily see Mallow, Kiawe and Lana getting noticed by Lele, Bulu and Fini respectively. It'd still be a "save the world" situation, but it wouldn't feel as cliche and ridiculous if Ash isn't the only one. However, that'd still leave Lillie and Sophocles, but I'm thinking that Lillie's gonna get Nebby and Sophocles is gonna do something in a movie with Marshadow or something. Or he cries in the corner. One of the two.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I think that Pikachu will push Tapu Koko to its limits or seriously damage it. I don't think it will beat Tapu Koko this time- I think the battle will be interrupted after Pikachu does quite some damage to Tapu Koko.

I expect Pikachu to land a few hits and do some damage to Tapu Koko, but I highly doubt he will seriously damage it or push it to its limits. We're talking about a guardian deity Pokémon, after all. IMO, it's too early in the series for anyone, even Ash and Gochu, to do serious damage to one of the guardian deities. That would undermine the Tapus' power.

I'm hoping that maybe each of the Tapus have a goal for four of the group members - similar to how Tapu Koko has a goal for the player in-game. I can easily see Mallow, Kiawe and Lana getting noticed by Lele, Bulu and Fini respectively. It'd still be a "save the world" situation, but it wouldn't feel as cliche and ridiculous if Ash isn't the only one. However, that'd still leave Lillie and Sophocles, but I'm thinking that Lillie's gonna get Nebby and Sophocles is gonna do something in a movie with Marshadow or something. Or he cries in the corner. One of the two.

I'm going with "he cries in a corner." :p Honestly, I can't see what else the boy would do. I do like the idea of each of the Tapus having a goal for one of Ash's friends. As you said, it wouldn't feel as cliché as Ash being the Chosen One destined to save the world (as always). Lillie is getting Cosmog, no doubt.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
I'm going with "he cries in a corner. :p Honestly, I can't see what else the boy would do. I do like the idea of each of the Tapus having a goal for one of Ash's friends. As you said, it wouldn't feel as cliché as Ash being the Chosen One destined to save the world (as always). Lillie is getting Cosmog, no doubt.

damn sophocles gets no love in these forums lol. i hope sophocles does something noteworthy just to make people appreciate him for once.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
damn sophocles gets no love in these forums lol. i hope sophocles does something noteworthy just to make people appreciate him for once.
It's his fault I cannot seem to care about his presence. I knew from the moment I saw him, I wasn't gonna like him. U_U He's like Duck from Telltale's the Walking Dead game but without the love to hate aspect and depth. He doesn't give us any interest in his character (especially when we just had Clemont, a person he's very similar to so far but was likable and appealed to people). I do love his Togedemaru though.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
It does feel like he's just kinda "there," and he hasn't really done much to distinguish himself from Clemont. He's pretty much the Generic Guy of the group, and it feels like he's pretty much just thereto market Togedemaru. I can understand the dislike toward him.

Anyway, I really like the idea of Ash's classmates getting noticed by the other Tapus both because it's less cliché, as you said, and because it guarantees development and focus for each character except maybe Sophocles so they don't just fade into the background.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's his fault I cannot seem to care about his presence. I knew from the moment I saw him, I wasn't gonna like him. U_U He's like Duck from Telltale's the Walking Dead game but without the love to hate aspect and depth. He doesn't give us any interest in his character (especially when we just had Clemont, a person he's very similar to so far but was likable and appealed to people). I do love his Togedemaru though.

See, I feel pretty much the same way, with one exception: I do not love his Togedemaru. She is starting to get on my nerves. Pikachu, you have my admiration for being so amazingly patient with the hyperactive, lovesick porcupine.

I agree with satoharupika and Golden_Latias; the problem with Sophocles is that he is just there and feels rather generic. So far, there is just nothing particularly unique about him, especially since he has so much in common with Clemont. Even his focus episode didn't make him seem all that special; it showed he was intelligent and hinted toward his shyness, but that's about it. For the most part, it feels like he is there to market Togedemaru. He is just not as interesting as Kiawe, Mallow, and Lana.

Last edited:

Janovy

Banned
But Tapu Koko most likely does want Ash to save this region lol. Not sure what you expect.

satopi

See, I feel pretty much the same way, with one exception: I do not love his Togedemaru. She is starting to get on my nerves. Pikachu, you have my admiration for being so amazingly patient with the hyperactive, lovesick porcupine.
Much better than Buneary. I couldn't stand that bunny. Togedemaru's voice is very cute and I can't help imaging her as the adorable bloated fangirl who could rock the fashion world with her body shape.

For the most part, it feels like he is there to market Togedemaru. He is just not as interesting as Kiawe, Mallow, and Lana.
Basically this. At least with Kiawe and Lana having marketable Pokémon, they showcased their broad personality, family, and opened up on their goals. Mallow chan doesn't really showcase Bounsweet but she's important to Ash and Lillie, the people with the highest chance to advance the plot and is given a role in most of the episodes she's shoehorned in.

satopi

Nobody in this show ages. Tapu Koko is interested in those he know will do his dirty work for him without any question.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Basically this. At least with Kiawe and Lana having marketable Pokémon, they showcased their broad personality, family, and opened up on their goals. Mallow chan doesn't really showcase Bounsweet but she's important to Ash and Lillie, the people with the highest chance to advance the plot and is given a role in most of the episodes she's shoehorned in.
Not to mention, Togedemaru has shown a hell of a lot more personality than Popplio and Turtonator have. It's almost like the writers wanted to make up for Sophocles being kind of a bland character by giving his Pokemon a more dynamic personality, and it does convince me that Sophocles is pretty much just there to market Togedemaru.

Honestly, people say Rowlet is the comic relief starter this time around, but I get stronger Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin vibes from Togedemaru than Riwlet. Especially since she tends to hog screentime when she doesn't really need to. Not as bad as those three, granted, but it's still early.

Janovy

Banned
Sophocles is just super lucky to have a Pikachu-like character with him.

Just like how Dawn, Iris, and Bonnie(?) do.

(Why did May not get Plusle and Minum?)
Probably cuz they didn't wanna waste two slots with Pokemon that are essentially copies of one another.

And here we have the reason Ash has always been viewed as the Chosen One--his immortality/eternal youth. :p

Ho-oh didn't know that while doing his casual rounds he ended up making a young boy gain SPS (Shounen Protagonist Syndrome). Since then the boy has died and been revived at least five times, thrown himself in front of battles so many times I can't count, defeated plenty of evil teams, made just about every girl he's met beyond CotD status fall in love with him (and probably every male too), encountered all but eight legendary Pokemon (three Tapus, SM box legends, Marshadow, Ho-Oh itself and poor old Raikou), owned two different rare Pokemon with confusing Deus Ex Machina abilities (Blaze Infernape and Ash-Greninja), discovered he's quite possibly related to a dude with some strange blue power, been a prophecy on many occasions and a whole plethora of other things.

tl;dr: Shounen Protagonist Syndrome is like a f**kin nuclear explosion was dumped on your future. Tapu Koko is gonna have a field day with what he wants for Ash.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
this quickly became a "why does sophocles exist" discussion (although i guess its kinda my fault for trying to defend him). should probably be in the sun/moon character thread in any case.

anyways, i wonder if we'll actually find out why tapu koko is interested in ash in this episode.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
anyways, i wonder if we'll actually find out why tapu koko is interested in ash in this episode.

My guess is we won't find out why Tapu Koko is interested in Ash until much later in the series (after Tapu Koko has spent some more time stalking the boy). We might get a hint or two in this episode, and we might get other characters (such as Prof. Kukui) speculating, but I don't think we'll get the full reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.