• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 27: XY021 - Time to Debut! PokéVision with Serena and Fennekin!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I will gladly state what other people are too afraid to say. The truth must be told.

I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

It's the best way to reel viewers back when you need an apology for a controversial character.

Except for when you end up causing a bigger controversy in the process...

It's a bigger deal with Serena because she's being portrayed as blatant fanservice waifu bait already and this just escalates it to an even higher level. The entire narrative being shoved on the viewers about her is "awwww, isn't she just so cute? Don't you just want to take her home for yourself?" That's the entirety of what the viewer is given by the narrative. She's just a tool the writers are using to elicit very specific reactions from viewers.

First of all, this is a kids' show. Not sure why the writers would wanna expose the children to this kind of stuff so forcefully.

Second of all, this kind of fanservice thing has been around since OS (see Misty and her style of clothing)...which I guess makes my first point moot...but still...a kids' show?...

Third of all, this is Japanese anime, where preteen girls instead look like teenagers even in kids' shows (I know a couple of other examples), so I guess this was to be expected. ...Guess my first point's totally pointless...

I'm surprised they didn't do this sooner.

They already did it long ago, with Misty's clothing style.

Jesus Christ, this topic is starting to become uncomfortable!

Last edited:

Sephora

yes I'm back
I don't understand why people are having problems with Serena's attire in the scan. It is a very common thing in anime for girls to dress up like that. Plus come on you guys; it's an anime. Cutesy girl characters who dress up is nothing new. Did people forget about Misty and Dawn so quickly? -.-

I think this is just to portray the PR videos in the anime and I think it is just a filler episode tbh. I honestly don't think that it's going to be Serena's long-term goal. I mean what's she going to do, keep dressing up and posing for the rest of the series? Plus there is no battling involved which this anime thrives on.
Personally I think this is a Serena focused filler episode and nothing more. Yay at Fennekin finally doing something at least.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yay at Fennekin finally doing something at least.

I would hope that Fennekin does more than just pose here though. I mean I can't see why a battle would be involved unless TR interferes with the video production, but even then a battle with them isn't in Fennekin's best interest imo.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Screen Shot 2014-02-19 at 1.46.27 AM.jpg

Not sure why, but the large amount of contrast between these two images are rather telling when you really look at it.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Oh what's the big deal if Serena's stomach is out, Some of you need to go and see Misty's original outfit lol.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Third of all, this is Japanese anime, where preteen girls instead look like teenagers even in kids' shows (I know a couple of other examples), so I guess this was to be expected.

I don't understand why people are having problems with Serena's attire in the scan. It is a very common thing in anime for girls to dress up like that. Plus come on you guys; it's an anime. Cutesy girl characters who dress up is nothing new. Did people forget about Misty and Dawn so quickly? -.-.

Because Serena could never have been a good character without this, right? Dawn was pretty obnoxious with it too, but at least the two of them had characterization outside of raw fanservice, which is all Serena's been running on from the start.

Between this and how obviously Bonnie is there to pander to the little sister fetish that's huge in anime right now, I think it's all too clear that the writers are just resorting to cheap gimmicks to bring in viewers.

View attachment 11950

Not sure why, but the large amount of contrast between these two images are rather telling when you really look at it.

Do you think that's an accident? It'll remind everyone of how horrible that character Serena is apologizing for really was.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit
Because Serena could never have been a good character without this, right? Dawn was pretty obnoxious with it too, but at least the two of them had characterization outside of raw fanservice, which is all Serena's been running on from the start.

Between this and how obviously Bonnie is there to pander to the little sister fetish that's huge in anime right now, I think it's all too clear that the writers are just resorting to cheap gimmicks to bring in viewers.

Wait, having characters that are little sisters is suddenly a cheap gimmick now..? Im not sure how fair it is to judge a character's worth based on outside trends and not…you know…the actual character

Last edited:

Jesus, why so angry? We don't even have anything outside of a title and a scan photo to know about for the episode, so we don't even know what kind of specifics this will entail.

And besides, this is an anime; they do this kind of fanservice all the time, even in Pokemon's days of old! Why is this suddenly such a really big deal?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Having characters that are little sisters is suddenly a cheap gimmick now..?

No, having little sisters who inexplicably like trying to hook up their big brothers with women is. I know you know about how widespread the little sister fetish is there now.

Jesus, why so angry? We don't even have anything outside of a title and a scan photo to know about for the episode, so we don't even know what kind of specifics this will entail.

I'm sorry I don't love outright creepy and vile fanservice characters.

And besides, this is an anime; they do this kind of fanservice all the time, even in Pokemon's days of old! Why is this suddenly such a really big deal?

It's a big deal now because of the kind of character Serena is. Her entire existence is centered around fanservice. That's why.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
View attachment 11950

Yeah. One of them shows a female traveling companion who was actually treated right and who could actually battle competently, while the other shows Serena...modeling. Such progress.

Sephora

yes I'm back
"Time to Debut!" implies that this isn't going to be a one-off thing.

A debut doesn't necessarily mean it'll stay for long though. It can mean "perform in public for the first time" which Serena is doing I guess. Doesn't imply anything long term.

But I swear if this is what Serena's goal will end up being (which I personally don't think is the case) then I am going to be extremely pissed off disappointed. She can do better than this :/

No, having little sisters who inexplicably like trying to hook up their big brothers with women is. I know you know about how widespread the little sister fetish is there now.

Uh...and this is a really big problem?

And I don't think he knows, and apparently, neither do I, and even if I did, I don't see how that kind of "gimmick" will help to reel in viewers.

Soniman

Break the Limit

*sigh* indeed I do. But what I consider the extreme is nowhere near where Bonnie is. Like, Id understand your gripes if she did this in every episode, but as it stands she only does it once it a blue moon, like it's not really the defining aspect of her character or anything like that, such as how it was with Brock in his late tenure..

Yeah. One of them shows a female traveling companion who was actually treated right and who could actually battle competently, while the other shows Serena...modeling. Such progress.

To be fair it's comparing a character who had a series worth of growth to a character who's had barely 20, but still. It doesn't show Serena in a very positive light

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down

Ouch, sick burn.

Uh...and this is a really big problem?

And I don't think he knows, and apparently, neither do I, and even if I did, I don't see how that kind of "gimmick" will help to reel in viewers.

Little sister fetish is extremely popular in anime right now. That's why it's hard to see it as mere coincidence that a character whose running joke is trying to hook up her brother came along now.

Little sister fetish is extremely popular in anime right now. That's why it's hard to see it as mere coincidence that a character whose running joke is trying to hook up her brother came along now.

Well then, now that you say that, so what? It's anime. Japan obviously has different tastes than the Western world, so it's perfectly understandable if Pokemon, let alone any kind of anime, pulls that kind of wacky ploy. Same goes for fanservice. I'd certainly have a problem with these kinds of things if the show was directly produced here, but it's produced in another country, which has different tastes and preferences, and I've lived with that ever since I learned Pokemon is a Japanese product (which was quite a while ago).

dman_dustin

Oh what's the big deal if Serena's stomach is out, Some of you need to go and see Misty's original outfit lol.

I don't know.

Maybe people expect the girls that travel with Ash to be different to each other in terms of certain things they dress up in.

I don't know, I'm more excited and interested that it will be about Serena and Fennekin and might revolve around a battle, that I really honestly fail to see the point in criticizing/condemning a fictional character for showing their belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.