• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 31st: SM115 - Guzma, Emperor of Destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
He the animation director who most well known for his work on the ash vs sawyer league battle.

Also I just noticed that the writer is also the one who wrote the guzzlord arc aka the best ub episode in the series.

The animator from Ash vs Sawyer and the writer of the Guzzlord-two parter?

Man, if the episode doesn't turn out to be pretty good to excellent, one can definetely say there's something wrong on Sun and Moon lol

Shotgunrain

Title, summary and staff list:
I have some problems with the summary here. Throughout all these 100+ episodes of SM so far, not a single episode has ever made a reference to Guzma. If Kukui and Guzma do indeed have some history (like in the games) and they were fated to meet each other eventually, the writers could have foreshadowed their eventual meeting long ago. Bringing this up now just seems kind of rushed and like an ass-pull in order to give Guzma an appearance.

I do think this summary seems to be setting up Guzma VS Kukui (in his Masked Royal alter-ego) in the league though. That would be interesting to see.

D

Deleted member 384931

I have some problems with the summary here. Throughout all these 100+ episodes of SM so far, not a single episode has ever made a reference to Guzma. If Kukui and Guzma do indeed have some history (like in the games) and they were fated to meet each other eventually, the writers could have foreshadowed their eventual meeting long ago. Bringing this up now just seems like an ass-pull in order to give Guzma an appearance.

I do think this summary seems to be setting up Guzma VS Kukui (in his Masked Royal alter-ego) in the league though. That would be interesting to see.
Indeed, it is strange they didnt mention Guzma anytime in the past

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I have some problems with the summary here. Throughout all these 100+ episodes of SM so far, not a single episode has ever made a reference to Guzma. If Kukui and Guzma do indeed have some history (like in the games) and they were fated to meet each other eventually, the writers could have foreshadowed their eventual meeting long ago. Bringing this up now just seems rushed and like an ass-pull in order to give Guzma an appearance.

I do see what you mean, but I'll take Guzma randomly showing up for any reason as long as he shows up and kicks some butt before inevitably being ruined by whomever.

Shotgunrain

Indeed, it is strange they didnt mention Guzma anytime in the past
Yes. "It is said that Professor Kukui and Guzma are fated to get involved with one another", then why didn't they allude to this before? It could have been some good world-building. The world-building in SM is great overall, but I feel that this was a missed opportunity.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Yeah, I find it weird that the summary brings him up like we're supposed to know who he is, if we haven't played the games. Couldn't it have at least mentioned that he leads Team Skull.

Remix2

I have some problems with the summary here. Throughout all these 100+ episodes of SM so far, not a single episode has ever made a reference to Guzma. If Kukui and Guzma do indeed have some history (like in the games) and they were fated to meet each other eventually, the writers could have foreshadowed their eventual meeting long ago. Bringing this up now just seems kind of rushed and like an ass-pull in order to give Guzma an appearance.

Agreed they should have build this up thought out the series.

This isn’t the only time where sm did this as they did the exact same thing with mallow mom being dead out of nowhere instead of being buildup in the series.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Agreed they should have build this up thought out the series.

This isn’t the only time where sm did this as they did the exact same thing with mallow mom being dead out of nowhere instead of being buildup in the series.
They did though. There were hints like when she was at Oranguru's bar and when her friends talked about their mothers cooking, but she talked about Kiawe's mother's cooking instead during the sleepover in SM048. Plus, the fact that they didn't explicitly state it was probably because it was meant to be a surprise.

Henry's Journey

OmG! the announcement of the Alola League!? Could Guzma enter the league!? Really looking forward to the debut of Team Skull leader.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I mean, it's a bit late, but I still wouldn't have expected him before about EP075, since he is introduced fairly late into the game. The guy who did Ash vs. Sawyer animation? This could be good. Guzzlord's episodes were fairly underwhelming, though.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I'd be fine with Ash losing the league and seeing a full battle with Kukui vs Guzma. At the end of the day that would be more interesting to me than Ash vs Guzma

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Tbh, I'm not too hyped about yonemura being the writer, his battles tend to be unconcluded, curbstomps, or even both

DatsRight

Tbh, I'm not too hyped about yonemura being the writer, his battles tend to be unconcluded, curbstomps, or even both

Meh, there have rarely been any fully realised villain battles throughout the entire show, besides maybe BW which halfway tried to make some good TR battles (as in TR actually landed token offence but Ash still recovered and won on his own sometimes). Almost all the writers save their brainpower for choreographing the official battles like the gyms, though SM suffers a bit even in that area now due to several new writers.

Most of the time the villain is competent enough to land a single hit on one of the heroes, you know some sort of plot armour will be used to end the match. The twerps are rarely forced to sweat it out against some bad guy.

In fairness, even in the games, Guzma is kind of pathetic. I can see the plot humiliating him in some way, even if he can battle more competently than his lackeys.

Last edited:

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
The writers who gave this title to Guzma, give yourselves a pat on the back!

All he needs to do now is say this: "You wanna know what I do when some machine messes up? The first thing I do is give it a nice hard smack! I mean, most of the time I smash it to pieces, but hey, what can you do? Now let's see if I can't fix you!"

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Oh hey, glad to see they're actually doing something with Guzma's "we don't need a League" line from the games.

There, it was just mentioned once and is never relevant afterward.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Guzma is more of a person and citizen of Alola rather than some criminal of Team Skull like previous team leaders so I like this. Overall Skull in game and anime are not awful evil crime syndicate leaders, just a bunch of wannabe-tough punks so it’s awesome they’re retaining that with him just marching up to Professor Kukui and opposing a league. Yes, give me my DarkParadise in anime format. I hope we see Kukui’s Warrgle again or maybe even a third Pokemon here. Burnet’s Gonbe evolving into the Kabigon he uses in game would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.