1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

March 8th: PM2019 016: Satoshi Has Been Cursed...!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
  2. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

Not as weird as him not grounding himself to Galar.

3. Red and Blue

Who knows? Given how much he loved Alola Galar may not come off as that special to him, lol

4. AuraChannelerChris

The whole reason he liked Alola and decided to stay there was because he immediately visited the school, probably because it looked a bit fancy (and there was only one professor in the whole building).

5. World Turtle

World Turtle Well-Known Member

I think what'll make these Kanto captures more tolerable to me if a) Gengar is the last one and b) there are no big gaps between future captures and no last second captures (unless its like Zacian or something). I think Ash should catch them all now (by the end of this year or by the first half of next year) and sort them out later through scenes at the park/lab and rotation. Then during the later half of the saga he brings in his Oak Pokemon in full force to help him get through the Ultra Ball rank.

Ubermuk likes this.
  6. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I think the majority agrees with you on the first part.
    Though when you look at things logically, there's not really much left they can possibly give him from there. Hopefully Gengar really is the last one and that damn Machamp that keeps popping up goes to Go or belongs to Bea

7. Juaquin

Juaquin Well-Known Member

i kinda want him to get sandslash but ill take gengar if its the last kanto pokemon come on tyranitar if he goes to jhoto or gets a jhoto pokemon

8. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

Not referring to you (because I don't know your feelings), but you bringing up this problem, which reminds me of why people are against Ash and Riolu/Lucario, and for those specific reasons (not for any contradictory reasons to the ones I list however), it kind of irritates me to no end.

The argument a lot of people use is that Lucario has been shoved down our throats, and that we don't need Ash with Lucario. Yet somehow a lot of those people, are absolutely fine with Pikachu being shoved down throats even more.

Do you know how many roughly episodes Lucario has shown up in: ~36 episodes (and some of those might include flashbacks or even cameos)

Do you know the percentage of that is for the entire anime since it could've appeared? About 5% of about 600 episodes.

Dragonite has a few more appearances than that, and will definitely supercede Lucario even if Ash does get Lucario unless somehow they do not use Dragonite (because of Ash's Dragonite) Gengar? About 30 episodes. How about Pokemon like Bulbasaur or even Charizard. I guarantee you it's been far more than a measly 30 episodes. Pikachu? Every damn episode.

Each of the starters? Not counting 8th generation, I guarantee you they at least showed up in more. The only Pokemon that don't have 30 episodes under their belt being on the main cast are Pokemon like Palpitoad. The idea that a Pokemon is overused at only 30 episodes is kind of hilarious.

Hell Eevee had more than that and yet they still insisted on giving one to Serena and then Lana. Eevee was about 34 episodes before Serena, Serena bumped it up to 46 episodes and well holy crap Lana's Eevee shoots it up to about 89 episodes, and that's not even including the Eevee I ignored in my 34 calculations because they included 6th generation (Serena's Eevee), and 7th generation (Lana's) appearances by other people (like Ilmia). So I'm sure Eevee has had a 100 episodes by now or very, very close to it.

And yet people still think perhaps Ash might get one or skip to Espeon or maybe even give one to Go, or even have Go catch ALL the Eevee required for all the Eeveelutions, he might even just have an Eevee for the sake. Mascot like Pokemon or not, I find it weird that people make the argument "It's been overused or shoved down our throats" when in reality it hasn't even come close in comparison to other Pokemon and probably always will get shafted.

Now if it's a personal preference, like someone thinking Gengar is ugly or Riolu/Lucario are hideous, then fine, that makes more sense. But the idea Lucario is overdone, is by far a complete understatement. 36 episode out of more than 600 episodes, doesn't really qualify as overdone. 600 weeks is the equivalent of 11 years. Hell two American seasons of a "one hour" television show (if it gets at least 18 episodes a seasons) is equal to the amount of episodes here and even then some of them have more (and to be fair, in reality since it is a one hour or double a 30 minute show, it actually would just need to be 9 episodes a season since 18 hours is equal to 36 episodes of Pokemon). And in terms of anime, 36 episodes might simply just be an arc and half or maybe two arcs.

So this heavily might be go with the whole meme of "Is four a lot" "Depends on the context" For Riolu and Lucario's 36 episodes might seem like a lot, but we already surpassed 1000 episodes, and sure it was episode 400 around 4th generation, so it's not like its not approximately 3.6% of all episodes, since we have to be reasonable for when the Pokemon was introduced. So is 5% a lot, it depends on the context. There's still approximately 95% of the anime of when Lucario could've appeared that doesn't appear at all. Nor even if Ash does get Lucario, even if boosts to 10% somehow (or more like 7% or 8%) it's not like its going to stop Lucario from never showing up. Have you seen Charizard? I don't even want to know how many episodes Charizard has appeared in, because I guarantee you its more than Charmander and Charmeleon combined, and most of the basic starters usually surpass their evolutions in terms of episodes showing up, the exceptions would be for Pokemon who evolve relatively quickly but their middle stage goes beyond the number of their basic stage before potentially evolving (or like Bayleef, just hasn't evolved yet and probably won't).

Ultimately I honestly don't care as long as Ash doesn't get something like Pyukumuku

RLC, BabaVanga, Kazuniya and 7 others like this.
  9. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I don't think that's a fair comparison, because Pikachu has been with Satoshi since the first episode and is a mainstay in the series whether people love him or hate him. Most fans seem rather neutral about Pikachu around these parts [probably because there's nothing that can be done about his status in the cast either way since he's already here to stay], whereas the Lucario line hasn't been caught by Satoshi yet, so of course there's more division among fans regarding whether or not Satoshi should get one given that the situation isn't set in stone.

Ubermuk, MegaSalamence05 and Ignition like this.
  10. Zariful

Zariful Well-Known Member

I’m still not certain if I believe Gengar will get caught this episode. It does have a solid moveset though with Psychic, Shadow Ball and Ice Punch. I do think Go should get a solid team too. But Ash getting another poison type wouldn’t hurt either.

Ubermuk likes this.
  11. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Look I don't think anyone denies that Pikachu gets the most screentime and love in the show but why would anyone who complains about screentime hogging want a Lucario on Ash's team? That'd be like adding gasoline to a fire because then we would have Pikachu's annoying ass hogging screentime as usual and Lucario in the mix getting a big share of screentime too.

It's like some of you guys want Dragonite and which ever other Pokemon Ash catches later on to be pushed into the background and disappear into obscurity as a result of Ash getting an extremely popular Pokemon like Lucario.

I don't even like Gengar but I pray that it gets caught here because that's one more spot filled on Ash's team and unlike Lucario Gengar doesn't seem to be as big of a screentime hog from what history shows us.

12. Red and Blue

Lucario hasn't been much of a screen hog in recent years. The only one we got in SM came from Kukui. And that was literally at the very end of the series.

13. mehmeh1

mehmeh1 You can make a change

and his only screentime consisted of him getting his ass kicked

14. AuraChannelerChris

I could only squint my eyes as I could tell the writers shoved it into Kukui's team just to show it in Alola in some way before the series could end. Like, they had a mighty need.

(I guess my crazy Poni Island wild Lucario pack episode was scrapped.)

15. Master Pikachu 11

Master Pikachu 11 Well-Known Member

It maybe Kanto team right now, but that’s not to say that he can’t catch other Pokémon from other regions in the future. Especially when he has made a comment about wanting to capture multiple Pokémon as well. Since he is doing a world championship tournament thing, I fully believe that he will need not only bring some reserves back but also capture multiple Pokémon that many people thought he should have captured back in the day. Dragonite and Gengar are popular Pokémon and even though they are Kanto mons, there are quite of few people out there who don’t comment or have an account on here that wanted Ash to catch these Pokémon. There are even a few, myself included that always wanted Ash to have these Pokémon. I think that it is too early in this series for everybody to be saying that Ash is only catching Kanto mons. I fully believe that with this tournament, Ash is going to need more then just a usual team of six to go far.

MegaSalamence05 and Leonhart like this.
  16. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

I just mean their insistence in using Pikachu over Pokemon. Sinnoh was fantastic in my opinion (on that regard), Pikachu got focus but it didn't get MAIN focus.

Like why Pikachu against Hapu a ground type trainer? Pikachu, an electric type Pokemon. And of course the way they justify is magically enforcing "soak" so it can be vulnerable to electric types. Meanwhile Torracat never got to be used in a island grand trial. Rowlet didn't get anything since Olivia where it was knocked out by Rockruff and Ash's Rockruff at that.

I don't mind Pikachu getting the focus it actually deserves or makes sense. Such as against Hala because Ash only had Rowlet and Pikachu and it just made more sense for Pikachu to win that Grand trial. And I was fine with Pikashunium-Z because at least it was something.

But look at Unova real quick, a lot of Pokemon got screwed over in Unova. Burgh, Elesa, Roxie were all given to Ash's Pikachu, and I don't mean at least one win, that's acceptable.

Tranquil was never used against Burgh, Ash didn't even intend to use Pikachu and we had to have Pikachu throwing a temper tantrum in that episode, whereas Ash was just being incredibly stupid for stupid comedic purposes (which wasn't funny to me), and then Roxie, only because Pignite and Palpitoad couldn't defeat Garbodor despite the fact that it should've never been a 3 vs 6 battle to begin with (Boldore, Unfezant, and Palpitoad got screwed over).

And then look at the Battle against He who shall not be named, beating Samurott and Swanna and then losing to a Lucario in 5 vs 6 where Ash was somehow struggling so much.

I only like Pikachu when the focus makes sense. But if he is primarily used in favor of other Pokemon, despite the fact they will NEVER come close to any shared fair treatment and they desparately need that focus, it annoys me (aka Palpitoad should've given Ash the Toxic Badge not Pikachu). And that's kind of my point. Pokemon are just simply going to be screwed over regardless of what it is. Ash's Dragonite could likely suck in comparison to Iris's Dragonite for example.

Dismissing a capture because its overdone, could at this point really only apply to Charizard, Pikachu and Eevee. And while Pikachu is more overdone, I'm also even more annoyed about the constant Charizard being shoved down our throats in favor of Ash's Charizard. Because Champion Leon HAD to have a non 8th generation Pokemon as his signature Pokemon for whatever idiotic reason (probably because they couldn't create a Pokemon that fit Leon, so they decided on Charizard, just to shove it down our throats more), because someone other than Ash has to have a Charizard (and yes I am more criticizing Gamefreak here than I am the anime writers who have no choice to follow the games).

As I said it honestly doesn't matter, the whole "overdone" argument just seems ridiculous of an argument. Honestly given they just don't care, it has to boil down to aesthetic preferences at this point for Pokemon you do not want Ash to have rather than because its "overdone" because obviously don't care about that to even begin with.

BabaVanga likes this.
  17. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

I hope that this series won't have any more fanfic wish fulfillment captures for Ash.

18. ShadowForce720

ShadowForce720 Well-Known Member

Then your probably going to be disappointed. Look if Ash can get past gen pokemon then it makes sense that some of the pokemon are going to wind up being ones that people always wanted to see him have. Also I don't see why it's bad thing for Ash to get some fan favorite captures.

RLC and Henry's Journey like this.
  19. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

Yea. I'm already prepared to be disappointed

mehmeh1, Rock Captain 99 and Ubermuk like this.
  20. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Eevee's the one that seems to get a free pass, not Pikachu. Lucario will get bashed 24/7 even when he hasn't appeared, and never had a main or important role.
    While Eevee's been owned by three characters, soon to be possibly 4. Multiple rivals had one and one even had an entire team of them!
    But please tell me how Lucario is more of a hog
    I swear, no wonder it's so easy to hate Go when his defenders always bash good things like Lucario, TRio, and Ash.

Like what, Latias and Tyranitar? Gonna be disappointed lol

AuraChannelerChris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.