• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 8th: PM2019 016: Satoshi Has Been Cursed...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The Battle Frontier arc was about Kanto (really FireRed and LeafGreen promotion), so yeah it made sense Ash would use his original four in the final match.

Yeah, AG's really the only saga where Kanto pandering had an actual reasoning or purpose. May may have had Kanto Pokemon, but she still had Blaziken and Munchlax as her most memorable team members. And "Eevee" doesn't really count, they gave it to her for Glaceon. They knew what they were doing, unlike the recent Eevee which was literally pointless and just Kanto propaganda through and through as it never evolved

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
That's Episode 147 of the OS not Johto. Catching three Johto mons by Episode 30 isn't bad considering he caught the fourth soon afterwards.

I would love to reply to the rest of the points but they are kind of flawed, at first sight.

On Topic: I don't think Ash is getting Gengar here, if he is going to catch it. They will most likely drag it further for at least 5 episodes, make it cause much more havoc.
Doesn't matter it's Johto region.
One Johtomon is Oak'd immediately.
Sure reply all you want doesn't change the fact that anime clearly loves to pander to Kanto all the time no matter what form.That's the point.

dman_dustin

Why are people so against Ash getting Gengar?

I have to agree here with this question.

This didn't seem to be an issue so much when the Koharu episode was airing. But it seems like more and more "evidence" and its like SUDDENLY they have a problem.

Where was this "Kanto Pandering" argument during the Koharu episode, I assume I just missed it. Or is it because at the time there was a chance that someone other than Ash would get it but that chance is slowly decreasing?

I don't know, I honestly don't care too much. I'll care about Kanto Pandering, when I actually believe that Gamefreak and Anime actually realize Kanto/1st generation Pandering is annoying.......which I'm pretty sure will be never (but I could be wrong).

Cptnmac1

This didn't seem to be an issue so much when the Koharu episode was airing. But it seems like more and more "evidence" and its like SUDDENLY they have a problem.

Where was this "Kanto Pandering" argument during the Koharu episode, I assume I just missed it. Or is it because at the time there was a chance that someone other than Ash would get it but that chance is slowly decreasing?

I don't know, I honestly don't care too much. I'll care about Kanto Pandering, when I actually believe that Gamefreak and Anime actually realize Kanto/1st generation Pandering is annoying.......which I'm pretty sure will be never (but I could be wrong).

I actually kinda agree. I just think people don't want Gengar and are using kanto pandering as an excuse. If this episode was about the return of primeape or lapras, I don't think you'd hear any of those arguments despite them both being kanto Pokemon. It's solely due to the fact ash might get a Pokemon they dont want him to get

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Despite Koharu and Yamper finishing Gengar off, it seems Gengar was pretty annoyed at Ash and Pikachu for putting up a fight.

Now with Ash getting cursed, hopefully due to Cursed Body as I speculated before, Ash should catch it. I'm hoping Mr. Mime is the one Ash uses to battle it. It's Psychic is super effective on Gengar.

Who knows, Gengar could prove useful to use against Golurk in the future episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
dman_dustin said:

I can't speak for everyone, but I wasn't keen about the Gangar capture theories regarding Satoshi theoretically getting Gangar in that episode to begin with. At first I was hoping that Koharu would capture it, but then I started to find that more unlikely as the weeks passed. Then I moved on to wanting Gou to get it, which also didn't happen. I admit that at least at the moment Gangar being caught here seems more likely due to Gangar being promoted a lot in recent merchandise, however. That's the main thing that swayed my opinion on Gangar joining Satoshi.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Why are people so against Ash getting Gengar?
I don't know. Might be wanting to see the new Pokemon used by the main cast instead of Pokemon that had the chance 2 decades ago.

People saying it's because they don't want Ash to specifically not get Gengar and not because it's a Kanto Pokemon confuse me like people weren't just against Dragonite or Mimey.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters

Koharu doesn't have a Kanto Pokemon, that's why people were cool with it.
Now here we are with Ash's second capture and fourth team member.... being yet another Kanto Pokemon.
Thank god Riolu's gonna be soon, I seriously hope it's the next episode. I just want to see something on his team that isn't a Kanto Pokemon. Gengar would likely have been more accepted if they'd bothered to give Riolu and a starter a slot on his team before him, the way it's going right now.... it's kanto pandering. Doesn't help people are tired of Kanto.

I like Gengar, I'm just annoyed they're rushing to get him onto Ash's team when there are literally seven other regions worth of Pokemon that deserve to have a team slot before another Kanto....

I actually kinda agree. I just think people don't want Gengar and are using kanto pandering as an excuse. If this episode was about the return of primeape or lapras, I don't think you'd hear any of those arguments despite them both being kanto Pokemon. It's solely due to the fact ash might get a Pokemon they dont want him to get

No it isn't.
He owns those, it's the fact it is a new Pokemon and a Kanto Pokemon to boot while Ash hasn't captured anything from Johto -> Alola or even Galar yet!
People want the old Pokemon to show up, and we pretty much know Greninja's returning at some point so a Kanto one like Primeape wouldn't be something to get upset about

This is supposed to be a world tour, yet so far Ash has only captured Kanto Pokemon
Go got two Galar Pokemon, Koharu has one, and even Team Rocket has one! It's about ****ing time Ash got one too, we're nearing episode 20 for crying out loud! Where are Sobble and Grookey?

Master Pikachu 11

Yeah, but they also want to see Ash catch Pokémon from other regions even though, giving Ash Gengar would finally give him a ghost type. This would make up for not having Haunter. Gengar is a popular Pokémon and even though it’s a Kanto Pokémon, it’s always been a Pokémon along with Dragonite that I have wanted Ash to catch back in his Kanto days. So to finally have this chance of him having one of his own would be be awesome. Even if he gets Gengar, that still doesn’t mean or rule him out on catching other ghost type Pokémon like Dreepy, which is a Pokémon that I could still see Ash catching

Brydont

Serebii Fanatic =P
I really don't mind Ash getting Gengar, in fact, after Dragonite, I was hoping the dynamic would be (at least for a while), that Go just caught any old thing and if a powerful pokemon was to be caught, it'd be Ash. In my headcanon, it makes sense since Go is the rookie and Ash is a champion. It sort of grinds my gears a bit that Go caught the pokemon he caught in the Unova ruins so early on and it seems insane that the newbie trainer would get a Gengar on top of it. At the VERY least I hope if Go gets it, there will be the Ash's Charizard/Dawn's Mamoswine/Iris's Dragonite dynamic.

Egakor

I really don't mind Ash getting Gengar, in fact, after Dragonite, I was hoping the dynamic would be (at least for a while), that Go just caught any old thing and if a powerful pokemon was to be caught, it'd be Ash.
Sorry to disappoint you but the Golurk capture already destroyed that theory.
Even if it's a powerful Pokemon, Ash would do his best to battle them and then Gou would catch them.
Well, he already caught an oversized Golurk (thanks to Ash's Dragonite doing the most work). His Darmanitan is pretty strong too so I guess from this point he would just catch strong Pokemons by himself.

Red and Blue

Since they bothered to show Gengar at the end of today's episode, and possibly the cause of Sakuragi Institute shutting down, I think it will be caught here

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
We're only at the beginning of this series and people are already complaining that Ash only captures Kanto mons... I understand you guys but do you think Ash will only capture exactly 5 or 6 mons?

I expect him to capture equal number from each region (minus Pikachu) with the exception of Galar...

So yeah, Gengar must be his...

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
We're only at the beginning of this series and people are already complaining that Ash only captures Kanto mons... I understand you guys but do you think Ash will only capture exactly 5 or 6 mons?

I expect him to capture equal number from each region (minus Pikachu) with the exception of Galar...

So yeah, Gengar must be his...
I could still see Gou catching Gengar to save Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.