1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

March 8th: PM2019 016: Satoshi Has Been Cursed...!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, Feb 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "How did I know that would be your reaction?"

It's wild and it's gotten a lot of focus in this aimless adventure to catch em' all (except Porygon). Chances are it's getting captured.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  2. Ashton Ketchum

Ashton Ketchum Well-Known Member

Oh, boy. Again, various humiliations and slapsticks against Ash from these nasty scriptwriters? They themselves did not bite from this?

3. dman_dustin

dman_dustin Well-Known Member

After the previous episode seemingly about Go and Cubone, I'm just not sure why they would suddenly make this episode a Go capture if Gengar is being caught, if Go potentially gets a good capture episode with Cubone.

Since the episode is about Ash being possessed I can't help but think it would make more sense. I think the story needs to be that since Go can't fight Gengar to help Ash, Pikachu or Ash himself breaks through being cursed (Pikachu shocking him or by sheer force of will), and then Ash catches Gengar. Or hell Ash's Dragonite helps out.

Given how strong Gengar is, I honestly think the only person who should catch it is Ash. Even if I would've preferred Ash not catch it, simply because after Dragonite, I wanted them to focus on other generations of Pokemon, unless of course Ash truly is catching 10 Pokemon this series. so 2 of of 10 captures being Kanto related isn't completely annoying.

Unless somehow this Gengar ends up being the Haunter that Ash used to work with, and it went through some horrible traumatic experience after leaving Sabrina, I'm just not too sure why this particular Gengar exists, it didn't need to be an exact Pokedex entry like personality.

Edit: Actually the re reading the summary, it sounds like Ash is really himself, so it's not like the whole Pyramid King possession, so I don't think Ash needs help catching Gengar, if he can command his Pokemon just fine.

4. AuraChannelerChris

At least Ash's intelligence is high enough for him to get cursed, but too low to get brainwashed by aliens.

5. Cptnmac1

Cptnmac1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure it has possessed him. To me it would make more sense if Gengar is messing with him by creating illusions. We've seen ghost types do this as recently as Gou's misdreavus and have even seen Gengar doing this back in johto. The staircase could be made to look like a normal hallway and the vase could be seen as a normal glass of water. It would make more sense than ash being possessed

6. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Nasty? This is great. It's enjoyable seeing Ash getting hurt in slapstick comedy.

7. AuraChannelerChris

Still waiting here for him to get a few broken ribs th-

I mean, yeah!

wolf jani and mehmeh1 like this.
  8. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

You mean Go, he's well overdo for that.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  9. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: The bEGGinning of greatness!

This reminds me of how many TR pitfalls people fell and it only ended in some kind of serious injury like once
    That Rapidash episode iirc

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I wasn't expecting Gangar to return this soon after its debut, but I like the fact that Satoshi will have bad luck since it seems like the kind of scenario that will lead to a lot of humorous moments at his expense.

11. Remmie

Remmie Here I go!

Ash already got a freakin Dragonite 2 episodes ago he's not gonna get a Gengar on top of it either that would be way too much he needs a Galarian pokemon now.

wolf jani and Ubermuk like this.
  12. Cptnmac1

Cptnmac1 Well-Known Member

Why not? Gengar has been heavily advertised in merchandise and it's a recurring Pokemon causing trouble and those almost always get captured outside of Malamar. Add to that it's fleshed out moveset and battle capabilities and ash is the most likely person to capture it.

13. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Never say never. People thought it was crazy he would catch a Dragonair at episode 10 as well

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  14. Bortgreen

Bortgreen UP NEXT: The bEGGinning of greatness!

Now you said that about the moveset, it really makes sense Ash is going to get it

15. Power Up

Power Up ...

Good to know plotless mediocrity is what constitutes the backbone of writing in Pokémon nowadays.

16. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

He'll probably start getting them once he starts his Galarian goal and is actually in Galar more than usual.
    He's getting the Dynamax band in the next episode so it's likely they'll give him one of the starters and the first gym in the near future

17. AuraChannelerChris

Plot Twist:

This whole saga is trying to cover Ash's Kanto run by making him catch Gen 1 Pokemon only, effectively "resetting" him but giving him fully-evolved monsters from the get-Go.

mehmeh1 likes this.
  18. CMButch

CMButch Kanto is love. Kanto is life.

Gengar could've easily been like that Malamar recurring antagonist Pokemon.

19. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

I think we could see more Koharu and Yamper development here and that Gengar will stay reoccurring.

20. Kazuniya

Kazuniya Reading some posts

Oh hi there, you must be new here. I'm not sure if you're aware, but 'plotless mediocrity' is Pokemon anime in a nutshell, and it has always been. Pokemon was never an anime too big on a major plot and you can find examples of these episodes throughout every series and every gen, so I'm not quite sure what makes this episode different from others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.