• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March 8th: PM2019 016: Satoshi Has Been Cursed...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairy King

In all seriousness whether anyone catches it or not, I just find it disappointing that after 2 episodes in Galar, we’ve gotta come back for at least 2 Kanto episodes back to back again. I really wish the main base had been in Galar instead, at least then if we got a bunch of institute episodes we could focus on new Pokémon and locations.

Also it stings even worse when you consider those 2 Galar episodes are primarily focusing on Pikachu, Gyarados, and Charizard...kind of unavoidable given the context, but man you hate to see it.

I totally agree. When this series was first announced I was open to the region hopping premise but assumed that the base would be in Galar so we could get more exposure for the newest generation, but alas here we are in Kanto.

Gengar is a fun pokemon so I'm not too upset about another one being featured this series even if it is very similar to all previous ones. Koharu>Ash>Gou is my preferred order for who should catch it. I think Koharu and Gengar would play off each other well enough with their differences in personality. At first I thought the dynamic would be too similar to Acerola and Greedy Rapooh but I think the two girls are different enough to justify the capture. I could also see this being a fake out and no one catches it again.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Oh hi there, you must be new here. I'm not sure if you're aware, but 'plotless mediocrity' is Pokemon anime in a nutshell, and it has always been. Pokemon was never an anime too big on a major plot and you can find examples of these episodes throughout every series and every gen, so I'm not quite sure what makes this episode different from others.
Yup, they were in XY and XYZ too lol

Eddieursa

Marsh Trainer
They better allow Ash to capture Gengar this time, this is definitely a "remake" of Haunter. Ash being "cursed" reminds me about when Haunter removed his and Pikachu's spirits from their bodies. (It was creepy back then). So, I hope Ash will capture him this time.

FlygontheRavager

#1 Pokémon Anime Fan!
Good to know plotless mediocrity is what constitutes the backbone of writing in Pokémon nowadays.

You know, this episode may very well turn out to be mediocre. And if so, then that’s disappointing. And I also get that the first 10 episodes of this series were a mixed bag with mostly mediocre/boring episodes. I felt that way as well.

But...I must ask. After we’ve gotten Ash catching Dragonite, a heartfelt development episode for Koharu, and today’s amazing episode (which could potentially give Ash a goal to aspire to and give us more of a plot)...this is what you choose to focus on today? Really?

I mean, if you didn’t like the episodes all that much, then I can partially understand, but...are you here just to complain now? Because that’s not healthy.

dman_dustin

Gengar is a fun pokemon so I'm not too upset about another one being featured this series even if it is very similar to all previous ones. Koharu>Ash>Gou is my preferred order for who should catch it. I think Koharu and Gengar would play off each other well enough with their differences in personality. At first I thought the dynamic would be too similar to Acerola and Greedy Rapooh but I think the two girls are different enough to justify the capture. I could also see this being a fake out and no one catches it again.

I think Koharu suddenly being given a strong powerhouse of a Pokemon, when she's disinterested in Pokemon at the moment, I think would be a mistake, as well as pointless.

I mean maybe when Koharu is more developed and has some reasonable idea of what she wants to do then maybe I could see her with Gengar, but I just don't think that's going to happen any time soon, so it might be too late for that story to happen.

I mean we don't even know if her goal will be Pokemon related, she might not even catch any Pokemon this series, and she'll be one the more normal characters that isn't all about Pokemon.

Yamper might be her only Pokemon this entire series. Unless they start guiding her to a Pokemon related goal and even then it might be awhile before she would catch anything else.

Though to be fair, I could see Koharu tired of Gengar, and just angrily throwing a Poke ball at it and maybe she catches it that way, but the summary doesn't indicate Koharu will have any meaningful role so I'm very doubtful.

Leonhart

Imagineer
ShinjiElebooFan85 said:
I agree. I don't think Koharu will get Gengar, maybe another pokemon when we're a little more into the series

I don't think that she'll get Gangar here either, mainly because this doesn't seem to be an episode that focuses on her. I don't expect Satoshi or Gou to get it either, however. I get the feeling that Gangar might be a recurring Pokemon for the time being and that its capture might not happen until closer to the end of this series.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Unless this isnt Gengar's capture episode

Hopefully it is. I'd rather see it over and done with than get dragged out, we already have Jigglypuffy to fulfill the troublemaking wild Pokemon role... and they aren't even using her! Makes them bringing her back more irritating than it already was to begin with, what was even the point if she's not being used?

BlueDragonfangirl

I hope this episode leads to something good for Ash, I hate slap stick humor on him but as long as it leads to a capture.

Fairy King

I think Koharu suddenly being given a strong powerhouse of a Pokemon, when she's disinterested in Pokemon at the moment, I think would be a mistake, as well as pointless.

I mean maybe when Koharu is more developed and has some reasonable idea of what she wants to do then maybe I could see her with Gengar, but I just don't think that's going to happen any time soon, so it might be too late for that story to happen.

I mean we don't even know if her goal will be Pokemon related, she might not even catch any Pokemon this series, and she'll be one the more normal characters that isn't all about Pokemon.

Yamper might be her only Pokemon this entire series. Unless they start guiding her to a Pokemon related goal and even then it might be awhile before she would catch anything else.

Though to be fair, I could see Koharu tired of Gengar, and just angrily throwing a Poke ball at it and maybe she catches it that way, but the summary doesn't indicate Koharu will have any meaningful role so I'm very doubtful.

I agree with many of your points. Like the Alola girls she could absolutely have one pokemon all of or the majority of this series. I think if she caught Gengar it wouldn't receive a ton of screentime or participate in a lot of battles. She certainly wouldn't be the character to utilize it to its fullest potential. I also don't think she'll actually catch it.

Personally, I just like the idea of this nonchalant character catching a skilled Gengar. I think there is conflict to be mined there. Where the pokemon is good and the trainer has to catch up in skill level before both are working together optimally. I think they would also be a fun pairing with a ton of narrative space to develope. Realistically, if it is between Ash and Gou I want Ash to catch it. He has the skills to use it and it would hopefully get some good screentime. Mostly, I've yet to warm up to Gou and I don't want him to have it.

Oh hi there, you must be new here. I'm not sure if you're aware, but 'plotless mediocrity' is Pokemon anime in a nutshell, and it has always been. Pokemon was never an anime too big on a major plot and you can find examples of these episodes throughout every series and every gen, so I'm not quite sure what makes this episode different from others.

Notice how I said “ backbone of writing “ but maybe you missed that.

I seem to recall a time when story arcs and good character writing were the backbone of writing in the Pokémon anime and “ plotless mediocrity “ was only served in separate chunks spread throughout the anime. Always of varying quality, but never type the main dish. Maybe I’m a boomer or something, but that time definitely existed whether you remember or not.

So when I say these episodes now make up the backbone of writing in anime, hopefully you were able to understand I made a quality judgement based off the first 10 or so episodes to come to the conclusion that plotless mediocrity was now the new norm in storytelling in Pokémon anime.

You know, this episode may very well turn out to be mediocre. And if so, then that’s disappointing. And I also get that the first 10 episodes of this series were a mixed bag with mostly mediocre/boring episodes. I felt that way as well.

But...I must ask. After we’ve gotten Ash catching Dragonite, a heartfelt development episode for Koharu, and today’s amazing episode (which could potentially give Ash a goal to aspire to and give us more of a plot)...this is what you choose to focus on today? Really?

I mean, if you didn’t like the episodes all that much, then I can partially understand, but...are you here just to complain now? Because that’s not healthy.

If a few “ decent “ episodes rocket what you thought was a mediocre/boring show to something of good quality, more power to you. Clearly we have different tastes.

But, assuming that I thought all of those episodes were great was a mistake since only the Dragonite episode was of good quality and the other two, including the episode today were just more of the same.

So yes, I did actually not like those episodes and yes, I did come here to complain because I had a problem with how this show approached storytelling. I’ve sparingly commented on Pokémon 2019, so this picture you’ve painted of a person who is constantly complaining about this new series isn’t a picture based on reality.

I am happy to inform you that I am of good mental and physical health. Thanks for being concerned.

If I took the opinions of avatars on the internet seriously when it came to what is healthy and was what is not, then maybe I would have a screw loose.

Last edited:

Cptnmac1

I don't think that she'll get Gangar here either, mainly because this doesn't seem to be an episode that focuses on her. I don't expect Satoshi or Gou to get it either, however. I get the feeling that Gangar might be a recurring Pokemon for the time being and that its capture might not happen until closer to the end of this series.
Except that wouldn't really work here. All the other times we've had recurring Pokemon they've had entire regions to move around in so it made sense that there would be long stretches of episodes before the reappeared. Here, they're based in a lab that know the Gengar is hanging around the area of. Going long stretches without seeing Gengar cause trouble wouldn't make sense the same way it has before. So Gengar would have to show up constantly which would old really quick or it would be captured. Of the 3 characters that have a chance to capture it, ash makes the most sense. Koharu has no interest in capturing Pokemon at the moment and we've already seen that Gou's method of capturing Pokemon is totally ineffective against Gengar. The fact is even if Gengar isn't captured here, it going to get captured sooner rather than later

Master Pikachu 11

I'm so hyped for Ash to get yet another Kanto Pokemon. Like, how refreshing, I'm totally not sick of Kanto. LOVE IT.
I know that the last thing you want to see is Ash capture another Kanto Pokémon, but think of it this way if he does indeed catch it, he will finally get the last type that he has not own in ghost type. Since Go already owns a ghost type and is probably going to add two more in Unova then it only makes sense for Ash to get Gangar
In all seriousness whether anyone catches it or not, I just find it disappointing that after 2 episodes in Galar, we’ve gotta come back for at least 2 Kanto episodes back to back again. I really wish the main base had been in Galar instead, at least then if we got a bunch of institute episodes we could focus on new Pokémon and locations.

Also it stings even worse when you consider those 2 Galar episodes are primarily focusing on Pikachu, Gyarados, and Charizard...kind of unavoidable given the context, but man you hate to see it.
Um Drednaw is also getting focus as well!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Um Drednaw is also getting focus as well!

That is true but you kinda misunderstood the point.
The few Galar episodes we've had have been primarily Kanto Pokemon focused, the Scorbunny/Nickit episode was really the only one that wasn't.

We've had four Galar episodes thus far and barely a handful of Galar Pokemon debuted, not even the other starters yet! Heck Ash hasn't even caught a Galar Pokemon(Yet)

And yes, Drednaw is getting a bit of focus but when you look at the episode titles you can see that Gyarados/Charizard/Pikachu are the main attractions for this Galar arc.
Perhaps people wouldn't be so sour about this if the episodes didn't literally go from Dragonite, Gengar, Gyarados/Charizard, Pikachu/Gyarados, Unova, Cubone/Mankey, and back to Gengar. For a series revolved around region hopping, Kanto sure is getting an overwhelming amount of favoritism

Ashton Ketchum

Nasty? This is great. It's enjoyable seeing Ash getting hurt in slapstick comedy.
You enjoyable. But half of fan base is tired from this. This was acceptable for the first 5-9 seasons. But for characters like Ash - this should stopped! Because it is not compatible with development and moral growth.

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
You enjoyable. But half of fan base is tired from this. This was acceptable for the first 5-9 seasons. But for characters like Ash - this should stopped! Because it is not compatible with development and moral growth.
People who have matured and grown can still be clumsy sometimes lmao. Adults can also be clumsy.

This has nothing to do with emotional maturity or whatever it is you're talking about.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I still think Koharu and Yamper will further their connection here. Maybe Ash can even help Yamper and her train since they've got the Electric type pokemon in common. I think Gengar will stay recurring until Koharu starts taking pokemon more seriously and maybe starts traveling with Ash and Go. Then she can catch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.