• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March Madness Thread 2012

Phoopes

There it is.
Hey college basketball fans! Ready for March Madness? Selection Sunday is on the horizon, so I thought I'd start this thread now. Currently, there are many bubble teams vying for those last spots in the 68-team tourney (feels weird saying that). And we'll get confirmed spots in the tourney not too long from now with conference tournaments. But as for now, a few questions can be discussed in the days leading up to Selection Sunday.

1. Will Northwestern finally break through and make the NCAA Tournament? Or will they have to settle for the NIT yet again?

2. Which teams will get the important Number 1 Seed this year?

3. Which bubble team could be this year's VCU?

4. Who is the favorite to win the tournament?

5. Could a dark horse, like UConn last year, pull off a run and win the tourney?

These and many more, remain to be seen. Feel free to make predictions, root for your favorite team, (etc.). Have fun!

Go 'Nova!

PsychicPsycho

I'll be rooting for Missouri. They seem to have a good team this year, so they could make it a decent way in. Or they could lose in the 2nd round, who knows.

1. I'm not sure. I feel like they'll probably get in if they can pick up a win in the Big 10 tournament. If not, they may have to get lucky with some other teams losing.

I'm hoping Virginia Tech will be able to make it in this year, I think they've been one of the first 4 out every year since I started paying attention.

2. I'm guessing Kentucky and Syracuse, for sure, then probably N. Carolina and Kansas. Duke and Missouri my be able to overtake the last 2 depending on how the conference tournaments go.

3. I have no idea. I guess VCU could be this year's VCU- they won their conference the other day, right?

4. I'd say Kentucky would be the favorite, just because their loss looks better then Syracuse's, to me at least.

angles

Banned
wa,thanks for all of these.

g.gif

PsychicPsycho

Wow, I'm surprised no one else has really posted here. Surely there's someone around that will fill out a bracket.

I had an awkward moment during the Big 12 tournament. I was hoping Missouri and Kansas would meet in the final, but that means I'd have to root for Kansas, which, as a Missouri fan, I couldn't bring myself to do.
I'm guessing Kentucky and Syracuse, for sure, then probably N. Carolina and Kansas (will be number #1 seeds).
I can't believe all these teams lost in their conference tournaments. At least they were good games for the most part.

Do you guys thinking losing right before the championship tourney is helpful or hurtful?

Phoopes

There it is.
I think losing in the confernece tournament can help a team, like Kentucky for example. They have a lot of young players, so losing would probably let them know that they have to work to win a championship.

On a seperate note, I noticed that Drexel missed the tournament while Iona made it. What this is I don't even.

PsychicPsycho

Well, let's see...I went 13 of 16 on the Thursday games- I missed the Iowa State/Connecticut, Wichita State/VCU and New Mexico/Long Beach St. games.

Didn't get to see many games since I had school, but I did see part of the Syracuse game. Thought their opponents were going to pull off the upset for a while. I did get to see most of the Conn./Iowa St. game, which was one of the ones I was looking forward to.

Also, I've been wondering- why is it the play-in games aren't between only #16 seeds?
On a seperate note, I noticed that Drexel missed the tournament while Iona made it. What this is I don't even.
I used to think a lot about whether a certain team should've made it. Then a guy, talking about Virginia Tech a few years ago when they missed the tourney, said 'Do they really have a chance to win the title?'. Since then I use that qualifier to judge.

Last edited:

PsychicPsycho

Holy crap..I think this has to be the craziest single day I remember. Last year they said the total seeds of the Final 4 were the highest ever; I wonder if this years' round of 32 total is near the record.

I'm at a total of 22 of 32 for the first round. I had Notre Dame, Duke, Memphis, Missouri, Temple, Michigan and St. Mary's winning today. My second round is already has 3 failures and one of my E8 teams is down (Missouri). Good thing I didn't go homer and pick them as the national champ.

Yesterday night, they said around 11000 brackets submitted to espn (of about 6.5 million) were still perfect, and 8 were completely wrong. After today, none were perfect, and the best remaining had 30 right (there were 4 of those).

G50

No longer posting
Being a major Duke fan, what a heartbreaking loss.... right in the 1st round. I'm still in shock right now... I certainly hope the Women go much farther than the Men did and hopefully overcome all of the injuries they have to win their 1st championship, surprising everyone.

PsychicPsycho

lol, I went 8 for 8 on Saturday, then 3 for 8 today, although 3 of those were already gone from 1st round losses. I lost one of my Final 4 teams (Fl. State), and had to shake my head as Norfolk State (who beat the Tigers) got handled by their opponent.
Being a major Duke fan, what a heartbreaking loss.... right in the 1st round. I'm still in shock right now... I certainly hope the Women go much farther than the Men did and hopefully overcome all of the injuries they have to win their 1st championship, surprising everyone.
I like Duke, so after the Tigers lost I figured I'd be able to root for them. The tournament isn't going too well for teams that I like. And of course Kansas is still in.

G50

No longer posting
Duke Women Cruised through to a win against Samford today. Thank goodness... Two losses in the 1st round would've been a lot to bare for Duke Fans.

Nice to see the Women win on the road against Vanderbilt. Next up is the Sweet 16 vs seed #3 St. John's

Last edited:

PsychicPsycho

I think the basketball gods are frowning on Missouri. With hopes of a championship, they lose in the first round, then their eliminator gets smoked in the second round. I friend of mine noted that, in the first round game, 5 Norfolk players had the best game of their careers.

Meanwhile, hated rival KU comes back in every game played to reach the championship game. They might as well just give them the trophy right now.

During the talk of Missouri possibly leaving the Big 12, a local radio personality noted that the fan bases of MU and KU are as defined by their program winning as they are by the other one losing. I doubted that at first, but, now that some time has passed, I'm thinking it's true.
Duke Women Cruised through to a win against Samford today. Thank goodness... Two losses in the 1st round would've been a lot to bare for Duke Fans.
It's weird to think that the women made it further then the men.

Last edited:

G50

No longer posting
Kentucky wins and Baylor wins.... John Callapari (Spelling?) wins his first championship. I would've preferred Kansas to win since I don't really like him as a coach, but Kentucky really was the better team in that game.