• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

March Plot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Hm, but GSC during its run ran 80 chapters or so in like 2 years. Wouldn't that imply they were a bi-weekly thing? If they could juggle that a decade ago, I'm sure they can now too.

At its peak (in terms of publication), PKSP was carried by three (sometimes four) monthly grade magazines, which despite some overlap, gave us 3-4 chapters per month. For RGB, Yellow and most part of RS, all three magazines were dedicated to that one arc and thus we get a very large amount of chapters for those arcs, but with slightly smaller page counts per chapter. We then had a period where each magazine was dedicated to a different arc, most notably during the concurrent RS, FRLG and Emerald run. By DP, all 3 magazines were serializing the same arc again, but at around the time Platinum and HGSS came out, these monthly magazines got cancelled one by one due to falling sales. One grade magazine remained and PKSP was picked up by Corocoro Ichiban, as well as a non-regular release of Pokemon Fan, which reduced the effective monthly chapters to 2. Platinum and HGSS were thus both heavily editted in the actual volume version after their magazine runs ended prematurely or abruptly, partially due to BW's release. It was speculated that the writers were forced to start serializing BW alongside the game release and had to end both Platinum and HGSS before their formal end.

BW had a fairly stable release of two-chapters per month until that final monthly grade magazine was also dropped, reducing BW to one stable monthly chapter and a somewhat bi-monthly Pokemon Fan chapter. B2W2 was started very late, actually after XY was already on the horizon, making it the shortest magazine run (5) before both Ichiban and Fan became XY-oriented. For XY, Fan only carried 7 chapters before it stopped carrying PKSP. That's when the online ORAS serialization began.

All in all, the writers were capable of getting out 3-4 chapters per month in the past, but they were shorter in length and they had more channels to do so. The only reason I'm disappointed is with a regular platform like Webry, it is really the writers' decision to cut down the production rate, unless, of course, a more frequent new material release on the Webry possibly charge them more, and the writers are doing this to reduce cost. I'm not sure exactly who's paying who in these online manga serializations.

Coronis~

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
What? Why would he appear in B2W2?

He appeared in last month's SM.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
What? Why would he appear in B2W2?

First of all B2W2 is still going while XY and ORAS have both finished which I for one think is odd, secondly Nanu is a member of the international police, ranked higher than looker, given his code number he could be ranked higher than Black-two, for that reason I could see him possibly show up.

Also, Colress and Grimsley both actively show up in Alola, perhaps the manga can elaborate on why they go there (Especially with Grimsley since it's said he's no longer a member of their group)

lolipiece

Staff member
First of all B2W2 is still going while XY and ORAS have both finished which I for one think is odd,

You're forgetting that these chapters were made in 2015, before Sun and Moon were even announced. There would be no way for Kusaka to have known he exists.

Also, Colress and Grimsley both actively show up in Alola, perhaps the manga can elaborate on why they go there (Especially with Grimsley since it's said he's no longer a member of their group)

Who's to say they'll even show up in SM? It's not like they play an actual role in the games.

I'm curious how kusaka is going to handle the pwt

He won't. It was already mentioned in the previous volume that graduates of the Trainers' school get to participate.

Our heroes aren't anywhere near that point in their school life to do that.

Coronis

In lucid awakening
coronis, did Nanu really appear in the BW2 arc?

I was wondering what you were asking previously. While he did appear in SM's latest chapter, he was certainly not in B2W2.

I could understand where your question came from though, since Nanu is an ex-officer of the International Police force, and it wouldn't be totally out of character for the writers to reference him in earlier arcs. I don't think Nanu will play any significant role in B2W2 to be honest. At most, we may get something along the lines of someone mentioning 'a powerful ex-officer who is now a Kahuna in the far off Alola region', much like how we see new gen stuff make cameos in earlier arcs. We are talking about 2 generations apart though, so I'm not sure if they would reference something 3 arcs away, but it's a possibility.

Some are also speculating that the volume version of ORAS will link Anabel to the International Police force as well.

Coronis~

lolipiece

Staff member
Alola! It's Sun and Moon time.

[img139]https:i.imgur.com/vmmrlcG.jpg[/img139]

Unfortunately, it's just the one picture this time.

But they're here!

Coronis

In lucid awakening
Just picked up the magazine:

At Kukui's Science Lab, Moon is shocked that the professor is someone who bares his chest and gets thrown out of houses with his Pokemon. Kukui approaches Sun about his great product, and it appears that Sun is collecting the slime from Pyukumuku and selling them as cosmetic products to the women on Melemele, proving to be a big hit. Kukui orders 20 bottles for his own wife, and while Sun is exhilarated for more money, Moon is annoyed. Before Sun could explain Moon's identity, Kukui and Rowlet get sent floating in bubbles made by Popplio, and Moon immediately freaks out. She hurriedly pierces Kukui's balloon with her arrow, but the man simply cheers at how great Popplio's skills are, chimed in by Sun. Moon demands to know what is going on, and Kukui finally asks who she is. Sun reveals her to be the item he delivers, and Moon formally introduces herself. Kukui breaks into tears of joy upon seeing Rotom, since it is rare in Alola, and Sun only wants his receipt signed as soon as possible. He activates his Ride Pager, and we learn that Tauros vanishes instantly because the Pager apparently has some sort of remote transfer system that sends Tauros back to the ranch.

Kukui gets Sun and Moon into his lab, and Sun doesn't understand why he is still needed. Kukui starts explaining about Rotom and its formes (which Moon is aware of), and Sun wonders if it could become Abacus Rotom or Piggy-bank Rotom. Kukui reveals that there are only 5 known formes of Rotom so far, but some genius young inventor in Kalos (?Clemont) has invented the Pokedex Sun currently holds, which can be assimilated by Rotom. Since Rotoms are not found in Alola, Kukui sent a request to the whole nation for one. Moon reveals that Rotom isn't really her Pokemon, but was bestowed upon it because the Rotom is said to be weaker than normal and would not tolerate an electronic transfer. Thus, as a pharmacist, she delivered it personally and also optimized its conditions. They finally get Rotom to try entering the Dex, but upon touching it, Rotom speeds away in disgust and anger. Kukui wonders what is wrong, and discovers that the Dex is kinda of sticky and smelly. Sun only then reveals that he has not only dropped it in the excreta of Mudsdale but also dropped it in the sea and river and also touched it when his hands were slimy with Pyukumuku's slime. Kukui breaks into a fury, and attacks him with Flying Press, Dynamic Punch and Double Kick, while Moon watches with an annoyed look.

At Iki Town, Olivia and Nanu get into a match with Hala as the referee, and we see Lycanroc (night) vs Alolan Persian. Nanu has the upper hand, and Olivia calls him tricky, but Nanu says she has so much to learn, whether it is battles or with love. The remark quickly ticks off Olivia, and as Hala watches in horror, she releases the Z move Continental Crush, while Nanu retaliates with Black Hole Eclipse. Hala cuts in to stop them and gets hit (surprised how it didn't kill him), and his Bewear catches him from his fall. Olivia apologizes immediately, and Hala thinks this at least means their stage can stand powerful moves. Nanu snickers again, and thinks the stage is certainly sturdy since it can take Olivia's rampage, causing Olivia to cry out in fury. The Kahunas then reveal that they shall fight some of the young Alolan trainers tomorrow, being their new hope, at the Z Festival. Whoever emerged victorious shall take on the Island challenges as a means to pacify the Tapus. Hala mentions that all the Kahunas and Captains all possess the Z ring and have fought the Tapu. However, since the Tapus are clearly no ordinary opponent, it soon became the Festival Battle which is a fight dedicated to the Tapus serving a similar purpose. Hala thinks the Tapus must be pacified in order for the residents to feel safe, but Nanu wonders if they can really be pacified this way since they don't even know why they are angry in the first place. Hala agrees, and reveals that he going to call upon Kahili, since they would probably need foreign support as well.

Meanwhile, back at Kukui's, Sun emerges from the lab in torn clothes and a bruised eye, and informs Moon that he has finally retrieved Rotom after falling off cliffs and trees. Moon heals his wounds without charging him, and Sun wonders if she plans to go back to her region. Suddenly, Rowlet intercepts them, and seems rather acquainted with Moon. Earlier, after Sun chased after Moon, they realized Rowlet was still trapped in Popplio's bubble, and after rescuing Rowlet, Moon healed it with medicine since it became cold after staying in the bubble for so long. She also learnt from Kukui that it is mostly nocturnal, which is similar to her (good reference to her being 'Moon'). Sun laughs that Moon is certainly 'dark', and Moon hits him in the face with a handful of sand. They then notice the fire torches in Iki Town from afar, and Sun tells Moon about the Z Festival, though he has no idea what is is exactly.

The next morning, Sun is in the middle of the delivery and stops by Kukui's. Kukui apparently hasn't slept the whole night because he was fixing the Dex and demands to know if Sun actually encountered Tapu Koko (he shows him a printed paper with its picture). Apparently, the Dex would not have identified it since it doesn't have its info, and Kukui angrily reminds Sun that he was supposed to speak up when he sees an unidentifiable Pokemon, which Sun obviously forgot. Kukui talks about the festival and Hala, whom Sun doesn't know again, and Kukui appoints Sun as one of the challengers who shall take place in the Festival Battle, despite Sun's protest that he still has work to do. At Iki, the Kahunas look through the challengers' photos, including Sun, Lillie, Hau, the Masked Royal, the male Skull Grunt (and possibly someone else since they said there would be 6)... (edit: should be Gladion)

==============================

I'm liking the strong personalities of Sun and Moon so far. Rotom hating the Dex which has been dropped in Mudsdale poo amuses me. This arc seems to continually catch your attention since they don't really follow the games 'that' closely with these silly things. Loving the bickery interaction between the Kahunas, especially how they reference Olivia's 'failure' in love in the games. 2 Z moves already showcased, although they should have killed Hala. It seems Moon knowing about Rotom so well hints that she could really be from Sinnoh? Sinnoh and Kalos are the only 2 regions where Rotoms are found locally in the games. And I like how the find a way to explain the Page Rider, where the Pokemon just mysteriously appears and disappears. I don't think this was explained in the games, was it?

And I wonder if it's a typo or they are deliberately hiding a 6th challenger in the Festival.
Edit: should be Gladion

Coronis~

Last edited:

Moni_22

And I wonder if it's a typo or they are deliberately hiding a 6th challenger in the Festival.

I don't usually comment, but apart from thanking you for the summary, I wanted to point out that in the image that lolipiece posted, you can see that Gladion is behind the first speech bubble, so he's the last member

Last edited:

Coronis

In lucid awakening
I don't usually comment, but apart from thanking you for the summary, I wanted to point out that in the image that lolipiece posted, you can see that Gladion is behind the first speech bubble, so he's the last member

Ah missed him. You're correct.

Coronis~

Moni_22

What I'm curious about is why is Masked Royal one of the participants? Shouldn't they be like... young people? The others are definitely young, I don't know the grunt's age but he should be at least a teen. But Kukui should be like 25

Red and Blue

I'm curious why Lillie is in the tournament when she dislikes battles and lacks Pokemon in the games. Maybe she will be different in Pokespecial?

I'm curious why Lillie is in the tournament when she dislikes battles and lacks Pokemon in the games. Maybe she will be different in Pokespecial?

Lillie looks pretty reluctant in that picture. Maybe she still dislikes battling, but considering that Kukui basically just forced Sun to join the tournament...^-^ Glad she apparently has another Pokemon besides Nebby if she's in.

lolipiece

Staff member
She could have been entered under a misunderstanding. Unless they changed her role in the story, shouldn't she be in hiding from Aether right now?

Moon likes being active at night. Between this and her dislike of tropical areas, I'm starting to worry I'll be getting a new favorite female Dex holder soon...

What I'm curious about is why is Masked Royal one of the participants? Shouldn't they be like... young people? The others are definitely young, I don't know the grunt's age but he should be at least a teen. But Kukui should be like 25

Hey, 25 is young!...is what I like to tell myself, as I'll be that age next year.

Even if the Grunt is a teen, that'd still be too old to do trials.

You have to be 11 to do them.

Last edited:

Moni_22

Hey, 25 is young!...is what I like to tell myself, as I'll be that age next year.

Even if the Grunt is a teen, that'd still be too old to do trials.

You have to be 11 to do them.

I'm not saying 25 is being old. Seen that Gladion is there too, I don't think they're applying the "you have to be 11", but still around 25 is a lot older than the other characters. Sun and Hau are 11, I think Lillie is a year older maybe? It is never stated but for me she was a little older than them. Gladion should be like 14 or so? And the grunt is below 20 for sure. So Kukui being among them is a little strange. Since he's with his Masked Royal persona maybe he's just a special guest?

And yeah, I can see the situation with Lillie being a misunderstanding. I doubt she'll battle in the festival

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.