• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mare Tempestatum (AaML; PG-13)

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Thanks! But when you say short, do you mean it's just short, or too short? I mean, do you feel like it went too fast? Do you feel like I didn't spend enough time on each topic? Because I'd like to try to correct it if I didn't.

Well, anyway, I'm really glad you liked the characterizations. As I've said before, that's what I've been working on the hardest.

Yeah, lol. I don't know what happened this time. It's like . . . I just went so long without writing any that it was hard to get back to. And I got discouraged about it for a while. But yeah, I'll definitely get to it earlier this time.

Sableye King

The Ghost Guru
Wow. This is a really good fic. All the charater descriptions and the cute moments between Ash and Misty are great! I especially like the drama of Philip being Ash's brother, I sense some conflict and possibly violence. Everything is so well descriped too. I don't mind about the last chap being short, I thought it was very well written, I'd rather have a good short chapter than a long bad one. Can I be on the PM list? I also think the medival times setting was a very unique and cool idea. And isn't it ironic that my sig is written like back then?

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Thanks! I'm glad you like the character descriptions, and I'm glad you like the moments between Ash and Misty. I was worried they may not be dramatic enough. I'm glad you like the part about Philip too, that's going to come up more in the next chapters. Thanks. That's mostly what I was worried about- the content. I'm fine with it being short as long as I got everything in. Sure! I've already added you. Really? I thought it was a bit cliche myself, but I'm glad you like it. Yeah, lol.

el_toro

Superfly
I'm absolutely amazed! This has been one of the best PS fics I've read so far! :D

The characters are very developed and the plot is interesting, especially since it takes place in Medieval times. I like the fact that you gave Misty a mysterious past since now you have a full arrange possibilities with what you can do with her past.

This story has a lot of potential and I can already see how you will began to entangle their character lines. Their is a bunch of conflict just waiting to happen so of course I can't wait for future chapters! :D

To be honest, in this current chapter you left me begging for more towards the end (which is sometimes good ;)) I just hope that there'll be more shipping in the next chapter, though I do agree with you on character development.

I'd like to be on the PM list please! I look forward to this fic and trust me when I say that it's quickly become my most favorite fic of all time! :D

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Wow, thanks! I'm really glad you like the characters, and the plot and setting. I'm still setting things up, and I'm always worried that it'll be too boring.

Yeah, I'm trying to build up energy for situations. I don't wanna have a bunch of conflict and have it be like "Where did that come from?" I want the characters' actions to make sense, for them to have motivations.

Well, I'm glad you like it that much! Yeah, I'll still be trying to work on building a situation for the next two chapters I think, but I'll put interaction in it if it flows. Please bear with me! I promise I'm building up to something good! At least, I hope it's good!

Sure! Thanks a lot, that makes me so happy!

Sableye King

The Ghost Guru
Wow, thanks! I'm really glad you like the characters, and the plot and setting. I'm still setting things up, and I'm always worried that it'll be too boring.

Yeah, I'm trying to build up energy for situations. I don't wanna have a bunch of conflict and have it be like "Where did that come from?" I want the characters' actions to make sense, for them to have motivations.

Well, I'm glad you like it that much! Yeah, I'll still be trying to work on building a situation for the next two chapters I think, but I'll put interaction in it if it flows. Please bear with me! I promise I'm building up to something good! At least, I hope it's good!

Sure! Thanks a lot, that makes me so happy!

I don't mind the wait, I also don't like it when some fics go straight into the action and conflict when nothing builds to it or gives it much logic. You take as much time as you need to write the best chap you can!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
That's good. I'm always worried that people will lose interest and stop reading. Thanks!

And by the way, thanks to whoever bumped me up to 4 stars! It was kinda bugging me that I only had 3, but I didn't wanna vote for my own fic.

el_toro

Superfly
That's good. I'm always worried that people will lose interest and stop reading. Thanks!

And by the way, thanks to whoever bumped me up to 4 stars! It was kinda bugging me that I only had 3, but I didn't wanna vote for my own fic.

Sure no problem! ;) It kind of struck me weird that such a good story had a low rating so I had to do something about it! Trust me, you deserve it! :D

And don't worry about the readers losing interest. No matter how long you will take, if it's a good story, you're readers will come back to it!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Well, you know how it goes with shipping fics. Shippers of another ship will sometimes give low ratings just because the fic isn't of the ship they like, which I'm pretty sure is what happened here, because I went from 4 to 3 in like 1 vote. Anyway, I just hope everyone else is like you!

Sableye King

The Ghost Guru
Don't worry, with the number of pokeshippers on this site, being voted down by others who don't agree with the ship won't be too much of a problem. In fact, I'm going to vote for this fic right NOW! Like el_toro, this is becoming one of my all-time favorite fic!

Aquaflowr

I've just voted your fic five stars too. Hopefully this thread's rating will get up there quickly too. And your fic won't lose interest: it's simply too good!

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it!

Well, you deserve all the praise, Hakajin. You really do such a great job fleshing out this medieval theme Pokeshipping fic.

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
WOW...wow, this chapter was totally worth waiting for! It's so vivid and descriptive, and the events and thoughts just seem too weave into each other seamlessly. Too good for words, my friend.

Your fic was actually what inspired me to write mine...so I'd be honored if you found time to read it. The link is in my sig...^^

Ampris

Slip slidin'
Gee, thank you SO much for forcing me to read a Pokeshipping fic, of all things, with your amazingly brilliant writing, Hakajin. >O

I kid. :D

This really is a beautiful fic, the pairing in question non-withstanding. Hmm. No- that doesn't make sense. It's really your deep, thoughtful characterization of the two characters that makes the story. I started reading because the story itself seemed intriguing and Catherine caught my attention, but reading through I ended up being truly engaged thanks mostly to the characters. I especially like Misty's chapters; her thoughts and feelings are very interesting to read, and quite well described. I can't really comment on the shipping content and how it affected my enjoyment of the fic since I'm not much into the pairing, but the parts that hinted at the future romance felt nicely done. Subtle, and not overwrought at all. But really, it's the story itself that I like reading, and I look forward to the next chapter! :)

Last edited:

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Well, I haven't checked back here in a while . . .

Nathan Madien: Thanks!

Artemis Ignitan: Thank you! I'm glad you thought it flowed well, I was worried that it went a little too fast. Sure! It makes me really happy that I inspired someone!

Ampris: Oh, I'm SO sorry for forcing you to read! Lol, it means a lot that you liked it, despite the ship. I'm most proud of these kinds of reviews. Not that I don't appreciate reviews from Pokeshippers, but it's harder to get a non-Pokeshipper to like it. I'm really glad you liked my characterizations. Like I keep saying, that's what's most important to me. I hope I'm not straying too far from the original characters though. I'm also glad you don't think the romance is overwrought. I want it to go slowly . . . very slowly. Thanks!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Chapter 4
The Clashing Tides​

Ash listened to the gently rolling waves to calm himself, but it did no good. Once again he was in the long, marble-floored hall standing eye to eye with Philip, waiting for Sir William’s signal. The surroundings were the same as they had always been, the circumstances, completely ordinary. But although things seemed exactly the same, they had changed since the last time they had crossed swords. At least, for Ash they had. It amazed him how things could become so different in so short a time. Two days ago, he had not known that Philip was his brother. Then, Philip had been just an unusually grumpy rival with an unreasonable grudge against Ash. But now that Ash knew the truth, he realized that Philip’s grudge was not so unreasonable after all. He realized that he had stolen the throne from Philip- the thing his brother had desired more than anything. And though there was nothing Ash could have done to prevent that, he felt guilty. He was personally responsible for Philip’s misery. Worse, there was nothing he could do to correct it. Ash had spent the past two days racking his brain, trying to find some solution to this mess. But there was nothing. He could never give Philip what he wanted. This frustrated him more than anything. He didn’t want the crown, would gladly have given it to Philip had he the choice. But Ash had been born to rule Kanto. He would disappoint so many people if he gave up his birthright- his father, Anna, the whole kingdom. He couldn’t do that. But maybe there was another way to appease his brother. If only he could talk to Philip. There had to be some way to make him understand.

But it was hard to believe that when he looked into Philip’s eyes. They held an expression of utter disgust. Philip looked at Ash the same way he might look at a rat that had found its way into the castle kitchen. The expression reminded Ash of another time, another duel from years ago. Philip had beaten him soundly, which was not unusual. But he remembered what Sir William had told him.
“Ashton” he had said, “do you know why you’re never able to win?”It was a rhetorical question, but Ash shook his head in reply.
“It is because you don’t want to win. You have to desire victory like Philip does, or you will never achieve it.”And then Ash had looked over at Philip, still practicing his fencing stances. Their eyes had met, and in that instant Ash finally realized what it was in that glare that intimidated him so- hatred. Philip hated him, wanted to hurt him. Those eyes had not changed in all that time. They bored into Ash’s own now, daring him to challenge Philip. He could barely maintain eye contact at all. The air was so thick with tension that Ash found it hard to breathe. And when Sir William finally gave the signal, he was so distracted that he made no move at all. Philip took advantage of the moment and landed a heavy blow to Ash’s right shoulder.

“Ow!” Ash cried, flinching and clutching his shoulder.
The pain of the hit echoed through his collar bone and knocked the wind out of him. He sank to the ground, gritting his teeth against the hurt, and rocked back and forth to dull it. His eyes were squeezed shut, but he could feel Sir William’s disapproving gaze like a weight upon him.
“Let me have a look at it.” Sir William said.
Ash was finally able to open his eyes as he pulled the sleeve of his tunic down, revealing the nasty purple bruise that was forming there. Sir William knelt down beside him and roughly grasped the shoulder, testing the bone with his thumb. Ash sucked in air through his teeth as the pain surged back.
“It’s not broken,” Sir William informed, “but you can’t hold a sword in that condition. We’ll stop for today.”
Then he turned to Philip, seeming genuinely angry for once.
“Philip!” he yelled. “This is the second time in as many practices that you’ve injured Ashton What do you have to say?”
Philip seemed as surprised as Ash at his outburst, but he somehow maintained his attitude.
“I’m not the one you should be angry at.” His reply was cool, but his eyes were smouldering like coal embers. “Unlike that buffoon Ashton, I’ve kept up with my training. It’s not my fault if he’s too slow to react. After all, Sir William, have you not always told us yourself that politeness has no place in swordplay?”
“And that is true, but there is no need for such brutality, Philip! Your father is going to hear about this!”
“Good.” Philip said, crossing his arms. “Maybe that will help that dull-witted old man realize which of his sons is truly fit to be his heir.”
At this, Sir William completely lost his temper and struck Philip hard across the face.
“How dare you speak of your king that way!” He bellowed. “You will never say such a thing again! Now get out of my sight!”

For an instant, Philip lost his perfect composure, a dazed look flashing across his face. But in one more instant, his brow creased and the corners of his mouth turned down into a wicked frown. Too proud to rub his stinging cheek, he glared fiercely at Sir William. And suddenly, Ash had a vague notion that this had happened before, a long time ago. Only it seemed it had been someone else then, not Philip . . .

But before he could dredge up the memory, Philip turned his red hot glare on him and stamped briskly in his direction. Ash cringed, expecting Philip to strike him, but he did not. He simply brushed past him and out the arched doorway, though in a terrible huff. Ash looked after him for several moments before the sudden quiet in the room became uncomfortable.
“Um . . .” he said, trying to think of something to say to lessen the tension.
Sir William sighed deeply, almost ruefully, Ash thought, and then glided out of the room himself. Ash was left standing alone, unsure of what to do. Finally he decided that as no one present to judge his etiquette, it didn’t really matter, so he left too, still a little confused by what had just happened. He would never have expected Sir William to strike Philip like that. Philip was his star pupil, and though he often had to discipline him, it was always a half-hearted rebuke. But not this time. This time Sir William had truly been angry. But then, Philip had never gone that far before. Sir William was a knight after all, unfailingly loyal. Of course he would never let anyone who insulted his king go unpunished. Not even his own star pupil.

But there was something else puzzling Ash. He couldn’t be sure, but it seemed that Philip was becoming even more aggressive than usual lately. Why was that? Things had recently changed for Ash, yes, but Philip knew nothing about that. Or did he? And if he did, why would it make him angry? The thought nagged Ash and distracted him during class.

Today he was playing chess against Misty. He was no good at it, of course, just like everything else that involved school. This was bad, because a chess match was always part of the program when King Ashton checked on his son’s progress. Fortunately the cunning Mordecai had come up with an ingenious system. Ash and Philip would play, and when Ash lost (as he always did), Philip would teach him how he had been beaten, move for move. Then, when King Ashton’s visit arrived, Ash and Philip would play the same game, but with their roles reversed. Ash could tell that it infuriated Philip to have to play the loser, but he acquiesced. He seemed smart enough to know that it was better to give his father what he wanted than to try to show off. And though it was only for show, Philip’s detailed walkthroughs had helped Ash improve. But Philip was conspicuously absent today. Ash thought it was useless to play Misty; she was never his opponent when his father came. But Mordecai said that it would be good practice.

Ash stared at the board. Misty was winning; she had all but cornered his king. Ash thought carefully about his next move, turning over all his options in his mind. There was no way he could beat Philip at either physical or mental tasks . . . Besides, he wanted to befriend his brother, not worsen the grudge. So he would have to reason with him. But how would he do that? What would he say? The most important thing to make Philip understand, Ash thought, was that he didn’t want to be king. He hadn’t willingly stolen the throne. If he could only make Philip see that he didn’t want to be enemies. It sounded easy. But Ash knew that Philip’s intense hatred wouldn’t be easily quenched. He would have to choose his words carefully. If he said this to Philip, how would he reply? Or what if he said that? How would the conversation play out? Ash furrowed his brow in deep concentration.
“Hmmm . . .” he hemmed.

Misty sighed impatiently.
“Ash, would you make your move already?” She said. “You’re going to lose, no matter what you do.”
“Huh?” he replied.
“Make your move ”
“Oh, right.” Ash said.
He quickly moved his pawn to a space near Misty’s knight.
She stared curiously at him.
“What?”
“You spent all that time thinking just do that?”
Ash laughed, but nervously.
“I guess I’m just not as smart as you, Misty!” he said, a little too cheerfully to be believed.
“Well I know that.” Misty agreed with a laugh. Her expression softened. “But are you sure you’re all right?”

Ash was silent. Normally, he didn’t mind telling Misty his problems so much. He was always reluctant to talk at first, but she usually wheedled it out of him eventually. And he had to admit, he usually felt better afterward. But this was different. This was between Philip and him. Misty seemed to understand his mood. Her brow was still creased in a worried frown, but she wasn’t going to press him any further. Ash thanked her mentally.

Misty returned her focus to the game. She picked up her pawn and set it next to Ash’s king, completing a ring of black pieces that surrounded it.
“Check mate.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dusk was falling. The torches set into the halls had already been lit, and they cast dark shadows. Ash watched them dance across the red carpet while he waited for Philip. He had been standing there for at least an hour. Philip had disappeared earlier after their sword match, and Ash hadn’t seen him since. He half hoped that he wouldn’t appear at all. His brother intimidated him, and he was nervous about talking to him. Even now, his heart pounded in his chest. But Ash didn’t want things to continue this way. It hurt to have his brother hate him so. It wasn’t right. And he didn’t think he could take the anxiety of waiting much longer. The sooner the conflict was resolved the better. And so he stood in the hall, a little ways away from Philip’s room. Surely he would return soon. It was growing darker, and it would be time for bed before long. Ash sat down, tired of standing. The anticipation was wearing off, and he was getting bored. He must have drifted off to sleep at some point, because the next thing he knew, he was waking up to footsteps coming down the hall. He turned his head toward the sound. The torches were burning low now, but he could just make out a shadowy silhouette.

“Philip?” he called to it.
“Ashton?” it was Philip. “Taken to sleeping on the floor like a dog, have you? How appropriate.”
Ash chose to ignore that statement.
“Philip, I need to talk to you.” he said as he stood.
Philip didn’t answer, but he made no move to unlock his door. Ash took this to mean that he was listening. But he couldn’t think of how to start. Finally, he blurted out the first thing that came to his mind.
“Philip, we’re brothers.”
“Really? And how did you come to this fascinating conclusion?”
“Anna told me.” Ash knew that Philip’s reply had been sarcastic, but he held his irritation in check and answered sincerely. “I didn’t know until recently. No one told me before then.”
Philip gave up his feigned curiosity and his face hardened back into that perpetual scowl.
“Let me tell you something right now, Ashton.” his words came out sharp and deliberate. “You are my brother by blood, and unfortunately, there’s nothing I can do to change that. But I will never consider you family. To me you are nothing but a thief who stole my birthright. I want nothing to do with you, so stay out of my way!”
He turned swiftly to unlock his door.
“Wait, that’s what I wanted to talk to you about!” Ash cried out, running toward him. He snatched the key out of Philip’s hand. Philip glowered at him and Ash backed away, but he kept talking. ‘I know you hate me, but-”
“You know nothing! I was supposed to be king! I deserve to be king!” Philip loomed over Ash, backing him into a corner. “But you took that away from me.”
“But that’s what I’m trying to tell you, I don’t want to be king! I don’t want you to hate me anymore! I’m not your enemy, Philip!”Ash was getting frustrated, and there was an agitated edge to his voice.
“You may not be my enemy, but I will always be yours,” Philip responded cooly.
“But why? I would be happy for you to be king! It doesn’t even matter to me!”
“Which makes me hate you that much more. Do you know how it feels to have to watch you bumble your way through every single day, knowing that you will be king instead of me? You, who aren’t worthy to lick the dirt from my boot, will one day sit on my throne. Your very existence makes me sick!”
Ash felt a surge of renewed guilt. His brother was right- Philip was much more fit to be king than he was. But it also made him angry that Philip was so impossible.
“But it’s not my fault that things happened the way they did!” He cried. “I can’t do anything about it! You’re being unfair!”
“Don’t you dare complain to me what’s unfair!” Philip yelled back. “My entire life has been unfair! You took everything I wanted, but when one small thing doesn’t go your way-”
“But I told you Philip, I don’t want the same things you do!” Ash countered. “I’m not any happier about the situation than you!”
Philip sneered at him.
“Oh, poor little prince, your life must be so hard.”
“I’m serious!”
Philip laughed bitterly.
“Well, in any case, it doesn’t matter,” he said,“I hate you all the same.”
Ash could see that he was getting nowhere trying to reason with Philip. He decided to try a different approach.
“Fine,” he said, holding back anger and frustration. “But isn’t there some way I can make it up to you?”
“Yes, you can die!” Philip paused for a moment. “Or better yet, you can suffer. I should take away something precious to you, just like you did to me. What about that girl you’re always with?”
“Misty?”
“Yes, her. Would you be terribly miserable if you didn’t have her?”
Only now did Ash get mad.
“Leave her out of this, Philip!” he shouted.
Philip smirked.
“Ah, so she is important to you. But don’t worry, little brother, I promise I won’t hurt her.”
“I mean it, Philip! Don’t you touch her!”
“I won’t! I gave you my word, didn’t I?”
Ash thought about this for a second. He had never known Philip to break his word. But then, he had never known Philip to give his word. He was about to say something, but Philip grabbed his key back and had the door unlocked before Ash could form the words.
“I hope you sleep well, Ashton.” Philip said as they parted.

Of course, Ash did not sleep well. In fact, he didn’t sleep at all. For hours, he laid on his back and stared at the canopy over his bed. He was upset that Philip still hated him, but more than that he was worried about Misty. He wasn’t entirely trustful that Philip would keep his promise. What if he sneaked down to her room in the night and . . . Finally Ash couldn’t stand it anymore. He got out of bed and went to the oaken chest at its foot. It was filled with ceremonial clothes, but he pushed these aside until he reached the chest’s bottom and found what he wanted- a dagger. Ash held it above his head, letting the rubies in its hilt sparkle in the moonlight. It had been given to him by his father on his last birthday, but he’d never thought he would need it. Now, he was glad he had it. He slipped the dagger into the pocket of his night shift and sneaked downstairs. Everything looked different in the dark. The unnatural quiet made Ash a little edgy, but the suspense was somehow exciting. His senses were heightened, and he could really feel his blood pumping. Finally he reached Misty’s room. She was sleeping peacefully, totally unaware of the danger she was in. Ash gazed at her as she breathed. He fondly remembered all the stormy nights they had spent here together as children, both cowering in fear of the thunder.

“Don’t worry, Misty,” he whispered to her, “I promise I won’t let Philip hurt you.”
“Ash . . .” she said.
Ash froze. He was caught; now he was in for it.
“. . . you’re an idiot.”
He breathed a sigh of relief as he realized that she was talking in her sleep.
He sat down beside her bed, dagger in hand, and waited. He was a little afraid, and he still did not want to hurt his brother, but . . . he was almost hoping that Philip would show up. He felt very manly protecting Misty like this. This was what being a prince was all about. His heart pounded in anxious anticipation. Ash chuckled to himself as he imagined Philip on his hands and knees at the point of his dagger, begging for his life. And Misty, of course, would be eternally grateful when she found out what he had done for her.

But as the hours passed, the excitement dulled. It was becoming more and more unlikely that anything would happen, and Ash was growing sleepy. His eyelids started to feel heavy. He kept them open for as long as he could, but it was a losing battle. The rhythm of the sea filled his ears, and soon his dreams.

Last edited:

Sableye King

The Ghost Guru
This, is, GREAT! Fantastic! I love suspense, I wanted so bad for Ash and Philip to make up! I didn't sense any shounen-ai personally. I loved when Ash was guarding Misty and how he and Philip were arguing over her. Does Philip try to kill misty or try to swoon her so that Ash loses her? I can't wait for the next chapter!

Hakajin

Obsessive Shipper
Yay! Thanks! I'm glad you wanted them to make up. More than anything, i want my readers to care about the characters. And I'm glad you didn't think it sounded like shounen-ai. It was awful last night, I was seeing inuendo in everything! Although, some of it did sound rather . . . The line "I don't care about myself," was originally "do anything you want to me!" Oh dear. Yes, I tried to actually put a little shipping in it for a change. Lol. Heh heh heh, you'll see! I'll probably start working on the next chapter tomorrow. I'm already itching to get going.

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Um...I don't think that sounded like shounen-ai. :3

The chess match was an interesting way to foreshadow things, it was like it was saying that no matter what Ash did, Phillip would always find a way to counter it with hatred. Maybe you would use it again when the tables are about to turn?

I dunno, for some odd reason I liked that chess scene. :3

Now I'm nervous for Misty. (shakes in fear)

Overall, a great chappie! Ja ne! :)