• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mario: 2D Platformers Vs 3D Platformers!

2D or 3D Mario platformers?

• Total voters

Slick

Banned
Super Mario Sunshine > All

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

Kabutopzilla

En Prócsem
I know it and I support it.

It's pretty funny when you said this. Look at your avatar.

The thread-starter person should make it a single choice next time. I picked both 2D and "They're both pwnahsum!!!!!!!!!!!111!1!", just for s**ts and giggles. And while I love the 3D games, primarily Sunshine, I do prefer 2D.

BUT. I know a Mario game that's better than any other game in the world. Only it isn't Mario. Begins with an "M", though.

... I really couldn't decide as to whether I like one more than the other without feeling that I made mistake. I'd have to go for both on this one.

I've played more 3D mario than 2D, but I think from what I've sampled, tasted, and then swallowed, it's a tough call to say one is superior in the entertainment it provides.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I also voted for both. I've played both 2D and 3D Mario games and all of them are great. They each have their own strengths, and few, if any, real weaknesses. My favorite games are Super Mario Galaxy for the 3D, and for the 2D, it's a three-way tie between Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Long live the Koopalings!

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Both are brilliant but I personally prefer 2D - apart from SMB2 which wasn't very fun to play.
I like 2D better as the games (generally) have better multiplayer, and in my opinion, better platforming.
But I will say the 3D games have better plot.

KyogreKing

I'm back
It's pretty funny when you said this. Look at your avatar.

The thread-starter person should make it a single choice next time. I picked both 2D and "They're both pwnahsum!!!!!!!!!!!111!1!", just for s**ts and giggles. And while I love the 3D games, primarily Sunshine, I do prefer 2D.

BUT. I know a Mario game that's better than any other game in the world. Only it isn't Mario. Begins with an "M", though.

Metroid?

By the way, I am happy to see my thread thrive.

Mikau Seafox

Veteran Trainer
It's Mario.

Quality is assured no matter what.

You'll just get really frustrated along the way.

*goes back to Bullshit: The Game (also known as Mario Kart Wii Online mode).*

I would have to disagree to that statement. Even Mario's been in a bunch of crap games, and I've played a lot of them.

It was a very, very good game even for Mario standards. Better then 64 though you say? Fox only. No items. Final Destination.

I rofl'd. Oh, tourneytards... you're all very precious. <3

Last edited:

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
I prefer 2d. The simple point A to point B gameplay appeals to me more and the 2d games seem to be much more focused on actual platforming than collecting Stars. I haven't played Super Mario Galaxy yet though so my opinion could change.

this sums up my thoughts perfectly. 2D makes for a more simple and overall fun experience than searching a sandbox for some McGuffin. I also can't say I enjoyed the way Super Mario 64 suddenly got rid of the power-ups (permanent power-ups, at any rate), but that's more an issue I have with the game's design more than 2D vs. 3D in general (though after the 3D switch, it sure took a long-ass time to bring any power-ups back to the franchise, for whatever reason).

a Mario game that's not Mario... Melee? I guess that starts with an "M" by technicality.

Last edited: