• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mario: 2D Platformers Vs 3D Platformers!

2D or 3D Mario platformers?

• Total voters

KyogreKing

I'm back
Super_Mario_Bros._box.jpg
super_mario_galaxy_4_800x600.jpg

Ah Mario. He has been through many adventures, parties, sports event and cleaned up ET's mess. He is an icon of gaming itself. But the most important games he's been in are platformers. For a while he was all 2D untill 3D graphics came around and changed foucus . But recently he was back to his roots and show the world his past. So, with that said, lets debate which style is superior.

2D OR 3D? YOU DECIDE!

Surfing_Pikachu

I would say they're all awesome. Nintendo handled the 2D to 3D jump in the N64 days like a pro, so much that Super Mario 64 is my favorite game of all time. Very, very few managed to get it on their first try, and other just plain cracked. One comes to mind...

Torpoleon

I like both 2D and 3D Mario Platformers. Recent games like New Super Bros. Wii, a 2D game, and the upcoming Super Mario Galaxy 2, a 3D game, seem great, in terms of 2D and 3D. Past 2D and 3D Mario games were great too. That is why I like both platformers.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
I enjoy both. All Mario platformers are enjoyable, reagardless of being 2D or 3D.

Dattebayo

Banned
I enjoy both 2D and 3D Mario games because they're so much fun to play.

I really can't compare them.
My favorites respectively though are Super Mario World, and Super Mario Sunshine.
Super Mario 2 is really close in the 2-D category.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
It's Mario.

Quality is assured no matter what.

You'll just get really frustrated along the way.

*goes back to Bullshit: The Game (also known as Mario Kart Wii Online mode).*

Surfing_Pikachu

Quality is assured no matter what.

You'll just get really frustrated along the way.

*goes back to Bullshit: The Game (also known as Mario Kart Wii Online mode).*
Let's put it this way. If you can survive MKW, then you can survive the platformers.

Wat.
Despite Super Mario Sunshines being my all time favorite game, 2d > 3d. But they're both brilliant.
2D gets:
-Better handheld play
-More power up focused (though I felt Sunshine did a good job of this by having all power ups in every world minus bonus and the final worlds)
-Funner speed runs
3D gets:
-More replay value
-More exploration based

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Very, very few managed to get it on their first try, and other just plain cracked. One comes to mind...

..Bubsy the Bobcat 3D: Furbidden Planet?

Crumpet

Delete your System32
..Bubsy the Bobcat 3D: Furbidden Planet?

Never again. Never EVER again. EVER.

On topic. I choose both. Its Mario. You expect **** games?

...Oh. Mario Party, Golf and Tennis...

ANYWAY. Both are as good as eachother.

Wat.
2d, due to SMB3 and SMW.

@42: Mario Sunshine was mediocre at best.

Mario Sunshine was the best of the 3. It had:
-the best camera
-the most atmospheric levels
-the best controls (by far)
-the best powerups, as well as use of them
-the best overworld

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
Mario Sunshine's camera sucked.

However, it gave us an a capella rendition of 1-1. And Mama Peach.

What's not to love?

Wat.
Mario Sunshine's camera sucked.

However, it gave us an a capella rendition of 1-1. And Mama Peach.

What's not to love?

64's was the worst.
Galaxy's was an improvement on 64, since they both had as many buttons for the camera, but by far a deprovement on sunshine.
I'm not saying it was a very good camera, but better than the other 2.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Hard choice. My favourite Mario games are Super Mario World and Super Mario Sunshine. I guess I like the 3-D games better because they're more fun.

#Gecko#

The Essential One
I really can't decide. I tend to go back to both equally every once in a great while. I'll just pick the convinient both are win.