• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~Mario Kart Thread

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yeah I'm using the Pro Controller as well, I've just got the GamePad to the side of my monitor so I can glance at it if I need to.

KillerDraco

I swear the second I bumped it up to 100cc, the AI started trolling hardcore with items.

Me in first place: Get hit by a blue shell when I'm maybe 10 feet from the finish line, then follow it up with two red shells.

Someone else in first place: Banana peels and coins for everyone!

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I've not had any real issues with Blue Shells, which is great. I have had to fight for first place at the end of the race more times than I'd care to in 100cc though. All seems very convenient for the AI.

Rainbow road + 150cc AI = pissed off me. Got red shelled twice in a row then blue shelled and finished 2nd... Would've gotten a 3 star...

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Alright, well I just picked up the game today. Been playing it for a few hours. I finished all of 50cc but I got second in a few races so I gotta go back through and do those. I know it's way to easy but I want to get all the stars like a nerd. It gives me a reason to get all the stamps as well. I just unlocked Metal Mario and my Mii.

I also went online for a few hours today and the online is insanely fun. I think my best story so far with wifi is one race we were playing Wario Mountain and I was way out in the lead for pretty much the whole race. Then right at the end I got hit by a blue shell, 2 red shells, and a green shell. I got 7th somehow. Yeah I was pissed that I lost it at the end after leading the whole race but it was still freaking funny. I especially loved my family's reaction. Other than that i've gotten first a few times, second and third most other times. I think my ladder score so far is 1186. The online's been working great to, I haven't noticed any major glitches or flaws.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
How do you set up so you don't have to use the gamepad as the main controller?

Torpoleon

I got MK8 earlier today and I'm loving it! Nintendo really did an amazing job! I ju ed g wish they displayed the map on the TV.

Charizard_Millky

Punk Rock > You
Same as any other game, just start playing with whatever controller you want to use.

Thank you very much

I do love the current tracks. Upset about the lack of map on the screen though. Finished the 50ccs to move up soon

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
So I was breezing through everything until I got to the 150cc Star Cup, now I keep getting unlucky with what items are hitting me. Will have to continue my 3-star quest tomorrow. Definitely very impressed with the game so far though, and I should be good for multiplayer some time tomorrow as well.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I have thus far 3-star everything before the first tracks of 150cc.

And I also recorded every single cup for my channel. Too bad my upload speed is atrocious so it'll take like a week to upload everything in the main game.

Recon

There's really no other way to summarize my experience than the word "Amazing". I've enjoyed the game so much since I've started playing. So far, I've unlocked all the characters, gotten 750+ coins, and gotten 3-Stars on all cups in 50cc and 100cc. It seems so much easier to get 3-stars now.

Also, personal highlight of the the day, I outmaneuvered a Blue Shell. I didn't destroy it with the Super Horn or anything, I actually outmaneuvered it, albeit accidentally and not with some fancy drifting.

Currently on Sherbert Land and on the third lap and on the frozen lake with the freezies. I see the Blue Shell coming at me on the map on the gamepad. However, I fall into the hole in the ice in the middle part of the lake, bringing me underwater. The Blue Shell comes...and goes. It passes by over my head. After I complete the lap, I look at the map on the gamepad and the blue shell is doing a victory lap trying to hit me, only to disappear somewhere in the middle. It was one of those "Okay...that just happened." moments. I'll have to check to see if the replay is still in the archives.

RedGyarados1

Interesting. The game now gives credit for beating 50cc or 100cc if you beat it at 150cc. So there is no longer any need to grind through the 50cc or 100cc cups just for completion.

There's really no other way to summarize my experience than the word "Amazing". I've enjoyed the game so much since I've started playing. So far, I've unlocked all the characters, gotten 750+ coins, and gotten 3-Stars on all cups in 50cc and 100cc. It seems so much easier to get 3-stars now.

Also, personal highlight of the the day, I outmaneuvered a Blue Shell. I didn't destroy it with the Super Horn or anything, I actually outmaneuvered it, albeit accidentally and not with some fancy drifting.

Currently on Sherbert Land and on the third lap and on the frozen lake with the freezies. I see the Blue Shell coming at me on the map on the gamepad. However, I fall into the hole in the ice in the middle part of the lake, bringing me underwater. The Blue Shell comes...and goes. It passes by over my head. After I complete the lap, I look at the map on the gamepad and the blue shell is doing a victory lap trying to hit me, only to disappear somewhere in the middle. It was one of those "Okay...that just happened." moments. I'll have to check to see if the replay is still in the archives.
Pretty sure it's easier to attain 3 star rankings now than it used to be. In Mario Kart 7, i believe it was calculated based off what you placed, as well as how many coins you amassed per race. Because i distinctively remember not getting 3 stars in MK7 despite winning 1st in all races with really good times. I believe MK8 only takes into account wins and tiers it accordingly (all 1st = 3 star, 3 1st, 1 2nd = 2 star, 3 1st, 1 3rd / 2 1st, 2 2nd = 1 star). Although the method has lost one requirement i wouldn't say it's any easier. To compensate for this change they did make the AI pretty challenging, even in 50cc from what i've seen. In 50cc and in some cases 100cc, i'm not nearly overlapping or beating the competition by half the map +. I've had a few wide margin victories, but for the most part, (especially at the 150cc level) every race is a heated battle. For me, it feels like the AI in this particular installment are the most challenging CPU's i've gone up against in any MK game. Whereas in other installments it feels like there are 2 CPU's that act as a main and supplementary rival and are often the most active out of the field of racers, it feels as if all of the CPU's are at the same level of difficulty. Don't get me wrong, if you play enough times you'll notice that 2 particular CPU's will often vie for contention, but it feels like they aren't the only ones specifically targeting you. I've come across multiple instances so far where i'll get nailed by a red shell by say, the 2nd place driver, then right as i recover, the 6th place driver will use his saved red shell on me as well, where, in other installments he probably would've held on to it. Noticed the same thing with blue shells as well. When you're not in 1st place, mainly in the 3rd lap i've noticed how the CPU (often one of the ones near dead last) will hold on to the blue shell which could've potentially helped you take the lead. In a way, Mario Kart 8 is perhaps the greatest test of how good a Mario Kart player you are. It feels like it's geared to specifically make the user have the most trouble. It sucks, but hey, i'm not really complaining. I like the challenge. Probably the most enjoyably challenging racing game i've played since F-Zero GX (Far more brutal, but not as RNG heavy. Try story mode on hard mode. surprisingly hard video game feat. And this is from someone who beat Battletoads!)

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
uhg, I'm having a hell of a time trying to play 100cc, I keep getting items shoved up my rear :/ Such is Mario Kart. I have been going online again. Had a blast doing it too. I think i'm up to 1230 as a ladder score. I can at least say I haven't come last in anything lol. So far my favorite character is definitely Luigi and I'm really liking the sports bike with the slim wheels. I also think my favorite track is Wario Mountain. Hopefully gunna have a blast tomorrow as well. Maybe i'll race some of you guys!

XD Mewtwo

Void#ZX0

That's known to happen, it has to do with the Blue Shell not locking onto the person in first, and taking alternate paths.

Stranger thing that happened to me was the Yoshi Valley position derping that happens with all the paths confusing the game with keeping track of player positions, Blue Shell flew right by me from a different path, the game said I was in second place, but I was in first a few seconds before hand, then after it flew by I was in first. I did a trick right before it flew by and the timing of Ludwig looking back made that scene more awesome, I saved that replay.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
I spent a few hours playing last night.

I have unlocked some of the characters, some stamps, and tested some kart/bike combinations.
I never really used bikes during my very brief time with MKWii, so I was unaccustomed with them at first. But now, I find myself using a bike more often. I find their cornering just great.
I am currently trying out heavier characters, which seems to be working out well, even though I typically used light characters in previous games.

One thing that really bothers me though is the screen between races.
I keep accidentally pressing "View Highlight Reel" instead of "Next Race."
I suppose I wish that those two options were switched, so that I could move on to the next race quicker.

Well, I plan on playing a lot more this weekend. I hope to unlock the rest of the characters, and most everything else.
I might try to get accustomed to some online play as well.

I am also looking forward to our tournament in just over a week!

(And yes, I have destroyed a blue shell with a super horn. That feeling.)

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Got my Wii U premium bundle today so played a few cups, some with my sister (who is lacking in video gaming skill :V). Good fun, quite liked Wario Mountain the most of the tracks I've tried thus far. Just doing 50 CC for now to get a feel for the tracks, and especially when my sister is playing too.

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Hell yeah, my game just arrived! Everyone start preparing for the MK8 tourney! I hope it lives up to my expectations!!

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Got my Wii U premium bundle today so played a few cups, some with my sister (who is lacking in video gaming skill :V). Good fun, quite liked Wario Mountain the most of the tracks I've tried thus far. Just doing 50 CC for now to get a feel for the tracks, and especially when my sister is playing too.
Oh yeah my sister has been playing with me too(her gaming skills are lacking as well), doesn't mind me since she likes playing with me and I like playing with her. Lot's of fun for the first couple hours I got to play until I had to go to work. All the tracks look so amazing, and the music is so great I can't help but smile every time I play it. So for now I'm just doing 50 CC as well easier for my sis who can manage 4th-5th place on the easier cups, and helps me get use to the new tracks.

I can't wait for the tourny this is going to be great!!!