• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

~Mario Kart Thread

Spacial

procrastination
I vastly prefer Mario Kart Wii to MK8. Not only have I practically been raised by Mario Kart 8 but I find everything about it preferable - the music is much more melodic, the course selection is great, the character selection is good and actually makes sense as opposed to all of those Bowser clone things from one of the more recent Mario games, the bike/kart selection is good, battle mode has actually had effort put into it, the motion controls are the primary way of playing, the general presentation is much more appealing. MK8 just doesn't click with me. I know this isn't relevant to the discussion but I just feel like contributing because Mario Kart Wii is really important to me.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Outside of the bad battle mode in 8, I have no idea what you are saying because the opposite is true for all of that.

Torpoleon

Outside of the bad battle mode in 8, I have no idea what you are saying because the opposite is true for all of that.
Well, except for the character selection. MK8 doesn't have a bad roster, but it's still missing characters like Birdo, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, King Boo & Petey Piranha and introducing characters like Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki Mario & Cat Peach. Still, the roster isn't terrible, especially when you factor in the DLC characters (minus Cat Peach & Tanooki Mario).

Really the only two complaints I have with MK8 are the battle mode and character roster. Thing is, I probably wouldn't even play battle mode that much and I'd probably pick Mario regardless of whoever is playable anyways. That being said, I easily prefer MK8 over any previous Mario Kart.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Well, except for the character selection. MK8 doesn't have a bad roster, but it's still missing characters like Birdo, Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, King Boo & Petey Piranha and introducing characters like Metal Mario, Pink Gold Peach, Tanooki Mario & Cat Peach. Still, the roster isn't terrible, especially when you factor in the DLC characters (minus Cat Peach & Tanooki Mario).

Really the only two complaints I have with MK8 are the battle mode and character roster. Thing is, I probably wouldn't even play battle mode that much and I'd probably pick Mario regardless of whoever is playable anyways. That being said, I easily prefer MK8 over any previous Mario Kart.

I prefer MK7 over MK8. In my opinion, the course selection for MK7 was much, much, much better than MK8's. It had many of my favorite courses such as Mushroom Gorge, Koopa Cape, Maple Treeway, Dino Dino Jungle, etc. I like the character selection of MK8 just a tad bit more, but the metals and babies aren't that great imo. Wiggler and Honey Queen were very odd and interesting additions to MK7, but I really enjoyed both of them. As for Character roster, I think MK: DD had the best. It had Petey Piranha, King Boo, Diddy Kong, Toadette, Birdo, Bowser Jr., and even Paratroopa.

Last edited:

R_N

I prefer MK7 over MK8. In my opinion, the course selection for MK7 was much, much, much better than MK8's. It had many of my favorite courses such as Mushroom Gorge, Koopa Cape, Maple Treeway, Dino Dino Jungle, etc. I like the character selection of MK8 just a tad bit more, but the metals and babies aren't that great imo. Wiggler and Honey Queen were very odd and interesting additions to MK7, but I really enjoyed both of them. As for Character roster, I think MK:DD had the best. It had Petey Piranha, King Boo, Diddy Kong, Toadette, Birdo, Bowser Jr., and even Paratroopa.

man MK8 courses >>>> MK7 courses and i say that as someone who likes 7's

still baffled as to how none of the dlc brought diddy or bowser jr. Probably the most glaring omissions

also wii clearly had the best roster

Erron Black

The Outlaw
man MK8 courses >>>> MK7 courses and i say that as someone who likes 7's

still baffled as to how none of the dlc brought diddy or bowser jr. Probably the most glaring omissions

also wii clearly had the best roster

To me, the MK8 Nitro Courses are the best, but the Retro courses are very meh. Only great ones are Yoshi Valley, Piranha Plant Slide, Yoshi Circuit, and Tick Tock Clock. Whereas the Nitro has amazing ones such as Thwomp Ruins, Wild Woods, Cloudtop Cruise, Dragon Driftway, etc...

MK7 had the best Retro Tracks imo.

plz man

wii roster was 2nd best
double dash roster is master race

R_N

To me, the MK8 Nitro Courses are the best, but the Retro courses are very meh. Only great ones are Yoshi Valley, Piranha Plant Slide, Yoshi Circuit, and Tick Tock Clock. Whereas the Nitro has amazing ones such as Thwomp Ruins, Wild Woods, Cloudtop Cruise, Dragon Driftway, etc...

MK7 had the best Retro Tracks imo.

plz man

wii roster was 2nd best
double dash roster is master race

Wii has everyone from DD except for Petey & Paratroopa an in exchange we got Funky Kong, Rosalina, Dry Bones & Dry Bowser
the facts speak for themselves

e: Also the retro courses were great. Lovely HD Moo Moo Meadows, DK Jungle & Grumble Mountain, a fantastic rendtiion of Rainbow Road 64, SNES courses that tried to make their own niche

the only stinker is sherbet land

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Wii has everyone from DD except for Petey & Paratroopa an in exchange we got Funky Kong, Rosalina, Dry Bones & Dry Bowser
the facts speak for themselves

Oh yeah forgot about the Dry Duo. Funky Kong was a odd addition, and tbh everybody used him since he was the god of Wii. The Dry Duo was a really great addition and Rosalina was nice too.

if only MK8 wasn't so metal this and baby that

like were tf is diddy, birdo, dry bones, bowser jr., etc... etc... (sadness ensues)

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin
those Bowser clone things from one of the more recent Mario games

Stop. The 'Bowser clone things' you're referring to actually debuted in Super Mario Bros 3 which came out in 1988. Mario Kart 8 is the first time they've ever been playable. They're far more deserving than the characters you failed to mention like Baby Rosalina/Daisy, who were made up for Mario Kart and let's not forget that there are four versions of Mario and Peach in MK8. If you're going to be critical of the roster make sure you actually have your facts in order and place blame where it belongs.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with any of the characters in MK8 even if I don't care for some of them. I also would like Bowser Jr back...

Last edited:

R_N

people always love to lump the koopalings together despite having mostly dissimilar sizes, personalities, voices and, uh everything

the babies and metals they are not

Erron Black

The Outlaw
people always love to lump the koopalings together despite having mostly dissimilar sizes, personalities, voices and, uh everything

the only thing the koopalings have in common is that they're koopas, siblings, and they all work for bowser. that's really it. if people want to say the roster is bland because of all 7 of them being playable why not say it's bland because peach, daisy, rosalina, wario, waluigi, mario, luigi, and waluigi are in? there's 8 characters that are human, but they are all completely different from each other, just like the koopalings.

Kirby

ʘ‿ʘ
Staff member
Admin

Agreed so much. The only thing they have in common is that they are siblings and they are the same species. That's really it. It's like saying Mario, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Rosalina and Daisy are all the same characters because they're all human.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Wii's unique courses didn't f*ck around, though

Bowser's Castle and Rainbow Road are the obvious points of comparison, since they have counterparts in other Mario Karts that fulfill the same role as the final courses, but there's a lot of insane layouts throughout that I haven't really seen other Mario Karts try to replicate; most of the better courses have been made into retro tracks already, though I'll still throw a shout-out to Toad's Factory for being more intense than the majority of MKDS... in the Mushroom Cup.

Aegon

I started playing more MK8 yesterday and the age-old problem I have with the series made an appearance in the game for the first time. I had comfortably taken first place three times in the cup and was on my way to achieve the same in the final race. On the final lap, just seconds away from the finish line, I was hit by a blue shell, which was followed up by a hit from a Fire Flower, costing me the three-star rating. I did have some fun while playing online, though the modes available are quite limited.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, all the DLC music is on it. It's unfortunate that Nintendo of America doesn't release good things like this for Club Nintendo, but fortunate that the internet exists and I can buy it anyway. Looking forward to listening to it all the way through later tonight.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
Yes, all the DLC music is on it. It's unfortunate that Nintendo of America doesn't release good things like this for Club Nintendo, but fortunate that the internet exists and I can buy it anyway. Looking forward to listening to it all the way through later tonight.

I have not really been one for video game music, but I do really like the music of Mario Kart 8.
But having the DLC music included sounds great for people that wanted it.