• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mario Tennis Open

TicoPokemonMaster

I decided that this might be useful if anyone wants to know

The known character skill types as of Mario Power tennis ( if there are any changes made I will update it on the first page

Recon

There's a video on the 3DS shop channel for the game if anyone wants to check it out.

It seems that, every once in a while, a spot might light up on the court. If you hit the ball while standing on the space, the shot gets a special effect like a faster speed or a wicked curve. Could this mean that Power Shots are getting removed and being replaced with this new mechanic? I hope not!

Recon

Shy Guy and Rosalina. That's all I have to say about that.

Torpoleon

So what do you guys think about the game calling Bowser Koopa? I hope it gets fixed by the time the game comes out and hopefully Camelot has noticed the mistake and is having it fixed.

Rakurai

Bowser is called Koopa in Japan, so it's probably not so much of a mistake as it was them being too lazy to change for the purpose of a demo build.

Torpoleon

A new trailer has been released! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWH3Z_t1a4&feature=g-all-u&context=G242898fFAAAAAAAAAAA

There are some cool new mini-games you can play, which all look awesome. They are:
Super Mario Tennis, where you hit a wall that shows Super Mario Bros. levels on it.

Ring Shot, where you hit the ball towards your partner on the other side of the court through rings.

Ink Showdown, where you hit the ball towards your opponent and can get covered in ink from an Inky Piranha Plant.

Galaxy Rally, where you hit the ball to the Luma on the other side and can pick up Warp Star Fragments to create a Warp Star. When a Warp Star is created, and the ball goes through it, you get coins.

Coins can be collected throughout the game and spent on outfits for your Mii.

After watching the trailer, my excitement meter for this game just went up.

EDIT: And now there is shitloads of artwork for the game, showing off the characters, the stages, some Mii costumes and some other cool stuff. http://mariopartylegacy.com/2012/04/tons-of-mario-tennis-open-artwork/

Been a great day for Mario Tennis Open, that's for sure.

Last edited:

TicoPokemonMaster

Torpoleon, thanks for your help. With my busy university schedule I hardly have time to update. I'll add your info along with a Kotaku preview that I just found.

The Ring shot comes from Tennis 64, but I really like the Super Mario Bros and Galaxy special games. And normally I don't use the mii I have on my wii. But When I get a 3DS I will create a mii and use it for this game. I like the added items.

Last edited:

Torpoleon

You're welcome!

Yeah, now I'm hoping Koopa isn't playable (I wouldn't be surprised if this is the final roster) because the Mii outfits look really awesome. Too bad other games with Miis didn't do that,

Anybody else think Luma might be a playable character, along with the Galaxy-esque stage from Galaxy Rally being a playable stage for regular matches? I think it might be a possibility. It looks ready to be playable for matches.

Torpoleon

Australian release falls in line with the other regions, being revealed to be May 24, 2012.

The official site for Mario Tennis Open is now opened (well, the full site is coming soon). US Site, Australian Site, [url="http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/games/nintendo_3ds/mario_tennis_open_45516.html]European Site[/url], Japanese site not up yet.

Expect more info shown on the sites (which probably wont even be news to us...) as we get closer to the release.

So, anyone thinking about picking up the game Day 1? I would love to, but I'll be buying other games around that time. It does look like we'll all have a blast playing it!

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Forgot to preorder this while at the came store today, curses!

TicoPokemonMaster

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175940

New trailer from Nintendo Direct.
Customizable Mii costume ( I am going to dress my Mii as Fire Mario)

and Baby Peach and Luma were shown so confirmed playable. I will update the character list ( going to automatically add babies Mario and Luigi because of Peach.
and 16 characters total so
we have the 13
plus the Baby Peach + Luma that is 15 confirmed, whoops so either I am wrong about both baby or Mii is not in the count

freekhenstra

Water Pokémon lover
http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175940

New trailer from Nintendo Direct.
Customizable Mii costume ( I am going to dress my Mii as Fire Mario)

and Baby Peach and Luma were shown so confirmed playable. I will update the character list ( going to automatically add babies Mario and Luigi because of Peach.
and 16 characters total so
we have the 13
plus the Baby Peach + Luma that is 15 confirmed, whoops so either I am wrong about both baby or Mii is not in the count

Well, the supposed 16 character total comes from the Japanese site's character section, which shows 12 characters (no Mii) and 4 question marks.
With Mii having an entire section of the site, I doubt he'll be one of the question marks.
Also, note that the 16 character total is not confirmed. These sites don't always show all characters.
With what we know now, there'd be space for 2 more, of which one should be Baby Mario, now that we know Baby Peach is playable.
And we only know one Defense character so far, so instead of adding Baby Luigi, who would probably be another Speed character, like Baby Mario, they'll probably add another Defense character, like Wiggler.
We've also seen costumes of Koopa and Fire Mario, and so far all other costumes have been of playable characters.
However, there's also normal tennis wear you can buy based on Bullet Bills, Chain Chomps and even ? Blocks, so it might not mean anything.
But even then, I think it would be really mean of Nintendo/Camelot to make it possible to play as a huge-headed Koopa with a Mii face in its mouth, talking and moving like a Mii, but not Koopa itself.
Characters like Toad, Toadette, Shy Guy, Birdo are also still missing.
Then again, they could just keep it at 16, like with Mario Kart 7, but I really hope not.

Torpoleon

This is so awesome! The character roster is already looking great and we are confirmed to get more characters? Luma & Baby Peach are awesome. I'm guessing we'll also have Baby Mario and/or Baby Luigi as well.

freekhenstra

Water Pokémon lover
The European Nintendo Direct had a new trailer for Mario Tennis Open.
It didn't show anything new, but it did say "16 characters and more to unlock!".
So, I'm guessing that means the starting roster will have 16 characters, and that there'll be a few more to unlock (4-8 more characters?).
Also, Satoru Shibata said there was still more to be revealed about the game.

Torpoleon

I don't know about more than 16 characters, but the Japanese site does show the 12 we know of (well, obviously not including Mii, Luma & Baby Peach), with 4 question marks. 2 are likely Baby Beach & Luma and maybe one is the Mii. Hmm, I wonder if they plan to have DLC in the game.-

freekhenstra

Water Pokémon lover
I don't know about more than 16 characters, but the Japanese site does show the 12 we know of (well, obviously not including Mii, Luma & Baby Peach), with 4 question marks. 2 are likely Baby Beach & Luma and maybe one is the Mii. Hmm, I wonder if they plan to have DLC in the game.-

But the trailer confirms that there are "16 characters and more to unlock!"
So, 20 or 24 characters seems likely.

Torpoleon

You're right. Just looked at the trailer. I'm guessing the 12 we've known of (and the Mii) will likely be the default ones, with Baby Peach, Luma and others being unlockable. We'll probably also have Baby Mario and/or Baby Luigi. If it's both of them I'm guessing we'll also see Baby Daisy. I wonder if we'll also have Toad & Toadette in the game.