• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mario Tennis Open

TicoPokemonMaster

I didn't see a thread for this so let go.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Mario_Tennis_Open
[IMG139]http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7e/MTOboxart.jpg/250px-MTOboxart.jpg[/IMG139]
a preliminary list of character is up. and The Nintendo Direct video confirmed Daisy, Boo, and bowser jr. ( haven't seen Diddy, DK, Wario, or Waluigi). and confirmes a May release for the US and Europe and Japan.
Release Dates:
US: May 20th
Japan: May 24th
Euorpe: May 25th

So who else do you want as a playable character?
This article or section is about an upcoming game. Editors must cite sources for all contributions to this article. Edits that do not follow this standard will be reverted without notice.
For more information, see the Citation Policy. Mario Tennis Open

North American box cover
Developer(s) Camelot Software Planning[1]
Publisher(s) Nintendo
Platform(s) Nintendo 3DS
Release date May 20, 2012[2]
May 24, 2012[3]
May 24, 2012[4]
May 25, 2012[5]

Genre Sport
Rating(s) ESRB: - Everyone
PEGI: - Three years and older
CERO: - All ages
ACB: - General

Mode(s) Wi-Fi, Multplayer
Media Nintendo 3DS cartridge
Input Nintendo 3DS:
Control pad

Mario Tennis Open is the latest installment in the Mario Tennis game series (developed by Camelot Software Planning). This installment is currently in development for the Nintendo 3DS. It has been stated that the game will feature gyroscope support and online multiplayer (using the Nintendo Network procedures).[6][7]

Contents [hide]
1 Gameplay
2 Characters
2.1 Playable
2.2 QR Downloadable Characters
2.3 Non-Playable
3 Courts
4 Special Games
5 Gallery
6 Media
7 References to Other Games
8 References
9 External Links

GameplayThe gameplay features the traditional basic elements from previous Mario Tennis games, utizing the button of the 3DS during gameplay single or multplayer matches. Players can perform different various of tennis shots by selecting the shot panels on the touch screen[8]. There are also Special Modes in the game, such as "Super Mario Tennis", where the player needs to hit enemies, blocks and coins with tennis balls in some levels of Super Mario Bros..[9]

CharactersPlayableThere will be a total of 16 playable characters in Mario Tennis Open[10]. Some will be unlocked during normal game play, but more can be unlocked using QR codes. [11] Additionally, each character will be in one of the six player classes available in the game, excluding the Miis as they can be customized.

Mario (All-Round)
Luigi (All-Round)
Peach (Technique)
Yoshi (Speed)
Daisy (Technique)[8]
Boo (Tricky)[8]
Bowser Jr. (Tricky)[8]
Diddy Kong (Speed)[8]
Donkey Kong (Power)[8]
Waluigi (Defense)[8]
Wario (Power)[8]
Bowser (Power)
Baby Mario[12] (Speed)[13]
Baby Peach[14] (Tricky)[15]
Luma[14] (Technique)[16]
Dry Bowser[17] (Defense)[18]
Mii (custom)[8]

QR Downloadable Characters
Blue Yoshi [19]

Non-Playable
Lakitu
Toads
Piantas
Nokis
Goombas
Mecha-Koopas
Penguins
Shy Guys
Koopa Troopas
Inky Piranha Plants[20]
Update: Course names
Courts

Mario Stadium (Clay)
Surface type: Clay
Bounce: Weak
Ball Speed: Slow

Mario Stadium (Hard)
Surface type: Hard
Bounce: Strong
Ball Speed: Normal

Mario Stadium (Grass)
Surface type: Grass

Mushroom Valley
Surface type: Strong

Wario Dunes
Surface type: Sand

DK Jungle
Surface type: Wood
Bounce: Normal

Bowser’s Castle
Surface Type: Stone
Ball Speed: Fast

Penguin Iceberg
Surface Type: Snoe
Bounce: Strongest

Peach’s Palace
Surface Type: Carpet
Bounce: Normal
Ball Speed: Fastes

EDIT: And now there is shitloads of artwork for the game, showing off the characters, the stages, some Mii costumes and some other cool stuff. http://mariopartylegacy.com/2012/04/...-open-artwork/
Credit goes to Torpoleon for this info

IN my attempt to gather QR here is the first
Light Blue Yoshi http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=178723

Last edited:

Torpoleon

Wario, Waluigi, Mii and I think Diddy & DK were actually shown in a trailer for the game from the Japanese Nintendo Direct. There's also Yoshi in the game as well. In total, I believe we know about 12 characters.

Not sure on other character for the game because right now it has pretty much covered the basics. Maybe we could also see characters like Koopa.

Never really owned a Mario Tennis game before (though I have played New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis some time ago), so I'm excited for Mario Tennis Open.

TicoPokemonMaster

Wario, Waluigi, Mii and I think Diddy & DK were actually shown in a trailer for the game from the Japanese Nintendo Direct. There's also Yoshi in the game as well. In total, I believe we know about 12 characters.

Not sure on other character for the game because right now it has pretty much covered the basics. Maybe we could also see characters like Koopa.

Never really owned a Mario Tennis game before (though I have played New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis some time ago), so I'm excited for Mario Tennis Open.

I'm in a similar boat as you expect for one key difference, I own Mario Tennis 64. and I haven't played any other Tennis game. So I am hyped for Tennis Open. And your right basically all the basics are covered. and I would like to see Koopa paratroopa make a return.

Torpoleon

I wonder if they'll make Rosalina a playable character. Outside of the Galaxy games, she's appeared in MKWii & MK7, so it would be nice to see her appear in a Mario Tennis game and a lot of people probably like her too. Maybe they'll also include other characters like Dry Bones & Birdo.

TicoPokemonMaster

I wonder if they'll make Rosalina a playable character. Outside of the Galaxy games, she's appeared in MKWii & MK7, so it would be nice to see her appear in a Mario Tennis game and a lot of people probably like her too. Maybe they'll also include other characters like Dry Bones & Birdo.

if memory serves me right Birdo was in Tennis 64. Here to the baby forms making a return baby mario was in Tennis 64 as well

TicoPokemonMaster

Hopefully Toad comes back

He was oddly absent from Power Tennis

Well for now his "species" is listed as non -playable. So let hope "The" Toad does come back

Torpoleon

Would be nice to see Toad playable though. At least we do already have a decent amount of playable characters. For now, he seems to be spectator (at least in Peach's Garden because Bowser's Castle has Mecha-Koopas) and a referee.

TicoPokemonMaster

Would be nice to see Toad playable though. At least we do already have a decent amount of playable characters. For now, he seems to be spectator (at least in Peach's Garden because Bowser's Castle has Mecha-Koopas) and a referee.

yeah looking at the video again I see the Mecha- Koopas. That a nice touch

chanseychansey77

Elite Trainer
I'm pretty excited. I need to expand my 3DS library, I really liked Power Tennis, and it's coming a lot sooner than I'd expected. I'm not terribly sure how impressive the 3D will be (I seem to remember playing Power Tennis in a top-down perspective), but I'm Nintendo has learned something since Mario's Tennis.

As for the number of characters... I don't really care, I didn't care about Mario Kart 7's decrease, and I don't right now. As long as they make a difference in the gameplay, anyway.

I heard the game'll have gyroscope support. Don't know how that's going to work, but even it it doesn't pan out, the game as a whole probably won't suffer.

TicoPokemonMaster

I'm pretty excited. I need to expand my 3DS library, I really liked Power Tennis, and it's coming a lot sooner than I'd expected. I'm not terribly sure how impressive the 3D will be (I seem to remember playing Power Tennis in a top-down perspective), but I'm Nintendo has learned something since Mario's Tennis.

As for the number of characters... I don't really care, I didn't care about Mario Kart 7's decrease, and I don't right now. As long as they make a difference in the gameplay, anyway.

I heard the game'll have gyroscope support. Don't know how that's going to work, but even it it doesn't pan out, the game as a whole probably won't suffer.

the nintendo direct america, said something along the lines of the Gyroscope being used to look from side to side in top-down perspective. I think I also read that it can be used in the way you serve.

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
It's nice to hear that it has online. However, I was really hoping for an RPG like the first two portable Mario Tennis's.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Never been a fan of Mario Tennis. I might pick it up.

Mudkip8003

It's nice to hear that it has online. However, I was really hoping for an RPG like the first two portable Mario Tennis's.

Here's hoping that this is just the regular tennis mode. I want to see everyone from the Royal Academy play again. D;

Angeltripper

♥ Ace ♥
too bad they didnt add wiggler. anyways, my fav tennis marios were on the N64 and GBA. I still have the gba one (mario tennis power tour)

Torpoleon

too bad they didnt add wiggler. anyways, my fav tennis marios were on the N64 and GBA. I still have the gba one (mario tennis power tour)
It hasn't been confirmed yet that the 13 characters we have seen are the final roster.

EDIT: As if an official name and a trailer weren't enough! Here's the US Boxart:
[IMG139]http://www.mariowiki.com/images/thumb/7/7e/MTOboxart.jpg/250px-MTOboxart.jpg[/IMG139]

I think it looks OK. What do you guys think?

By the way, TicoPokemonMaster, I think you should probably put release dates on the first post. May 20 for the US, May 24 for Japan and May 25 for Europe.

Last edited:

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
Spotted out that they put the Nintendo Network symbol on the upper right hand corner of the game case. This does though mean that this game would mark the debut of the Nintendo Network in North America. Though this might also mean that this would also be the official debut of the Network in Europe. That is since that it could have easily been a error that they included the word "Nintendo Network" in the European Mario Kart 7. But hey , I can actually can see that there is a high possibility for DLC to come to this game. Then that would mean that there could be a chance that Fawful appears in the game as a DLC charcter.