• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marnie from Spikemuth (1188)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
unless by date you meant “hanging out and vibing”, in which case, disregard what i said.
It's meant as a joke, don't worry

Although with how excited/ecstatic people tend to get during hyped fights in shonen anime... (especially between two male rivals)

Heck, even Giovanni got affected by it during Origins
A Pokémon getting two new moves out of nowhere is something I'd expect from reserves, not from a current team member.
You'd also expect Gengar to actually train to fight as Gigantamax, but lo and behold...

I want to see what happens in Offscreenland, because it always sounds more interesting than what we actually get

Anyone got directions to Don'tworryaboutitville, or Stopaskingforbasiccharacterwritingtopia, or Pleasegivethesecardboardcutoutsevenashallowpersonalityfortheloveofmewpolis?

pardusco

"The oppression of Poké Balls."
Anyone got directions to Don'tworryaboutitville, or Stopaskingforbasiccharacterwritingtopia, or Pleasegivethesecardboardcutoutsevenashallowpersonalityfortheloveofmewpolis?
Yeah, just turn left once you reach Itsjustakidsshowborough

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Journeys is making me at least warm up to characters I did not like like with Korrina & Marnie. Her mannerisms really do work better animated. Laughed when she asked Morpeko is it even possible and it’s just like “idk lol”

Piers was definitely my favorite part of the episode. The way he introduced his Pokémon (lol at Rillaboom just not even acknowledging Ash & Go) was what I wished the games did. Also love how Piers is just naturally a big brother type by getting over Ash interrupting his rehearsal and taking full responsibility for his detour by driving him personally. The drive to Wyndon was another highlight with how short yet realistic their conversation was. You can tell he was rooting for Marnie but also impressed with both of them.

Never liked Yell but seeing them put on the helpful facade and argue with Ash was kind of funny. Love the difference in how Piers and Marnie deal with their fans.

The battle was ok. Wasn’t really amazed by the GMax but stuff like focusing on Grimmsnarl’s hair, the crazy eye twitch from GMax Gengar, and Gengar using the trapped side effect of GMax Terror to stall its transformation. Seeing Grimmsnarl, Obstagoon, Toxtricity, and Rillaboom in one episode is nice since they’re all among my favorites in this generation. Just wish they got to do more. Seeing Darkest Lariat again was cool. Gengar have Dazzling Gleam & Sludge Bomb is nice but would’ve liked it to learn it on screen.
EDIT: Why was this a 1v1?

Overall a pretty solid episode. Maybe it’s just me wanting more Galar focus but the Galar episodes are usually some of the best. 9/10

Last edited:

Risrhayne

Y’know, maybe if they spent less time shilling the cutesy Pokémon every episode, the debut of Marnie and Piers could have been LOADS better because…my gosh, this was just rubbing salt into the wounds that was Spikemuth in the game. Did they really think they could convey the story of two siblings from a dying town fighting to revitalize the area in ONE episode?? The battle itself was honestly fine, if not…a tad overblown as Ash WRECKED Marnie despite her higher ranking, but the buildup could have been so much better if we had met her and Piers earlier. Or better yet, had met other Galar gym leaders, so the idea of a dark-type gym in some dead town would have been more intriguing because Ash and Goh wouldn’t have heard of it.

This was very much a tell don’t show kind of episode, from Marnie’s whole story to Gengar learning not one, but two new moves offscreen, but hey let’s see how Renji and Magnemite met because everyone was DYING to know about that 80-something episodes into the season.

If there are any positives I can give this episode, I did adore Marnie’s little accent and I appreciate them not harping on Morpeko too much, given their gimmick.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Gengar have Dazzling Gleam & Sludge Bomb is nice but would’ve liked it to use it on screen.

do you mean learned on screen cause Gengar did use both attacks before g-maxing.

I really don't care if it learned them off screen or not, it started in unova and has been going on ever since. Even if it's just one guy or multiple we've had someone learn stuff off-screen

not even alola is exempt from this because of naganadel

Jiffunk

Why are we even getting 1v1 battles at the end of hyper class? Seeing how the master class battles have been 1v1 too makes this whole thing seem so poorly handled

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
do you mean learned on screen cause Gengar did use both attacks before g-maxing.

I really don't care if it learned them off screen or not, it started in unova and has been going on ever since. Even if it's just one guy or multiple we've had someone learn stuff off-screen

not even alola is exempt from this because of naganadel
Oops yeah typed my initial reply half asleep thanks for pointing that out. I don’t really mind when Pokémon learn moves off screen but Gengar really hasn’t done much in between battles so it would’ve been some nice development. Not trying to say this is a Journeys only issue since this has been a thing since OS nor is it a big enough criticism to take away from my enjoyment of the episode.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Why are we even getting 1v1 battles at the end of hyper class? Seeing how the master class battles have been 1v1 too makes this whole thing seem so poorly handled

to be fair, we've seen what morpeko can do by now (i don't think most would've enjoyed seeing Ash fight another one), if we go by the games her other dark pokemon are Scrafty and Liepard...which by now would it really be entertaining to see them bashed in? That's why they probably made this a 1 v 1

It really doesn't require a whole episode for a Pokémon to learn a move (though those can be nice to) but have Pokémon be used in episodes unrelated to them to solve whatever the episode conflicts are maybe get into non important battles and have them just...learn the move during said events...like in the games. But since the writers hate Ash's team we never get to see them unless they're the focus which is only very sparingly and it's not enough time for them to learn new moves naturally so just toss it randomly on then off screen. Kinda makes it harder to get invested in a Pokémon's growth when they aren't even interested in showing it

Growth of a team is something the writers have hardly ever done well, because every single one of Ash's teams has flaws not just this one.

PWC battles seem to have been worse recently, in terms of both animation and choreography.
77 and 86 had great animation, which is understandable, considering Iwane was animating that.
Farfetch'd vs Gurdurr is still the best 1v1 Ash has had this series. And that says a lot from the rest.
The 2v2 battles and 3v3 battles are much better animated for some reason in comparison to the 1v1s. The best 1v1 (did not feature Ash) was Lance vs Leon.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Glad I rewatched this with subs. Way better than I thought.

Mary's goal of entering the PWC to increase Spiketown's clout and revive it was a unique motivation for her entering the PWC. I actuallly like what they did there, having Nezu's indifference to Daimax cause his city to die since no one comes there anymore to keep the economy alive and Mary wants to be Champion to save it. Nezu on the other hand is kind of selfish and also self-loathing a little about the fact he doesn't like Daimax battles but also its his job as the gym leader to save and revitalize his town. Not his little sisters. I'm actually shocked they managed to get so much characterization and narrative plot setup with half the episode. Definitely makes me far more fine with it being a 1. on 1. battle. The scenes of her not going along with Yell's plot and waiting for Satoshi due to not wanting to win in this way made her feel pretty likable.

I actually would have loved a PWC against Nezu just to get away from Daimax for a bit and he's easily the most interesting gym leader in PM thus far imo for his dislike of Daimax but not sacrificing his individuality to conform to what all of the region loves, it fit well with his whole "alternative punk rocker" aesthetic. No he legit reminded me of punk rockers I've befriended or seen at musical events a lot. Goes to show he likes battling and being a gym leader but won't capitalize on Daimax's popularity if he doesn't like it just cause. It's a nice contrast to Dande, who even in the previews for the next episodes Sonia says he wears a facade due to being a Champion. I hope we get more of him again. Spike Siblings are both solid character.

Battle wasn't rushed imo. Just very systematic. Beginning sparring before Mary felt things out to make her move in Kyodaimaxing. This actually was my favorite and first enjoyable Daimax fight. This is how the spectacle of it should work. Not activating at one time, actually showing some back and forth and it not being a brute force thing. Also the animation looked just fine and art, I'm glad to have seen a Galar Pokemon in action too and Olonge looked good. Magical Shine just appearing was expected and I wanted it and liked how Satoshi used it defensively like Kairyu's Hurricane. Sludge Bomb (sick of the terrible brown CGI) is just meh....but I know they probably wanted to reveal it here to also clue viewers in before Satoshi used its Daimax counterpart.

Psychic is very situational, the writers nerf it on what ever pretense. It just snatched Raichu from a far distance and insta-KO'd it like some stuff out of OS then with Corni its used on a rock but not the opponent, with Denzi it gains a "range" usage expressed by a circular purple animation. It getting erased is fine imo. I did like seeing Kyodaimax Gengar in action and his signature move (I'm bias since it's my fav) and the usage of swallowing to defend against Darkiest Lariat. The writers are also super inconsistent about whether Daimax Pokemon are impervious to normal-sized moves. So weird watching Gengar's Sludge Bomb do nothing but Soul Crusher kicked Gengar good. I think both mons substained enough damage to not make the battle feel cheap at least.

This was a good episiodic challenge for what it was worth, a debut for two SwSh characters, advertising Gengar, showing off Olonge, and explaining the lore and story of Spiketown and Yell. The usage of the band obviously was meant to harken back to the games. Episodes like this remind me I'm way more happy with this show when I take it for what it was, it was very advertising/checklist but that's what the anime is, a commercial for the games and showcasing the Pokemon. I thought they did just fine by Mary here and I don't feel like she was mistreated given she achieved such a high rank and ultimately left having succeeded in revitalizing Spiketown. Glad her smile was for Yell and not Satoshi, that would have felt forced.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Finally I have something to say about Journeys:

Being a Marnie fan, I couldn’t help but watch this episode. I’m happy to report my fears were unjustified. I’m happy with what they did with Marnie and her motivation and goals are 100% exactly in line with my fanfic headcanon. 100%!

Ash x Marnie is an even more interesting idea to me now.

Jiffunk

to be fair, we've seen what morpeko can do by now (i don't think most would've enjoyed seeing Ash fight another one), if we go by the games her other dark pokemon are Scrafty and Liepard...which by now would it really be entertaining to see them bashed in? That's why they probably made this a 1 v 1

Growth of a team is something the writers have hardly ever done well, because every single one of Ash's teams has flaws not just this one.
Every trainer has a different battling style so just because Ash fought a Morpeko in the past, doesn't mean that battling Marnie's would be the same. This is a world championship tournament to determine the world's strongest trainer so it's inexcusable for high ranking battles to be 1v1.

AJ97

What do you mean by "constantly losing"? Ash's wins have always outnumbered his losses substantially, and they finally let him win a league in the previous region.
He's always lost the meaningful battles in all the main regional leagues.
And on top of that, Ash was always shown to be vastly superior to Elite four Members and Regional Champions until Journeys. It was only in Kalos.

Ash is being set up to potential defeat or at least go toe to toe and be the hardest challenge for a Trainer who has supposedly never lost a PWC battle and even stands above all the other Regional Champions and Elite Four members.

The whole losing and improving dynamic is just not going to work anymore if they want to create a convincing serious fight between Ash and Leon.

At this point, if Ash does lose, it should only be against a much more established and stronger character (~ Master Class).

Sham

The Guardian of War
I knew he was gonna beat Marnie. It doesn't magically make sense that he beat a regional Champion but would lose to just anybody afterwards. It logically makes sense for him to lose to somebody in the hyper class and higher.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I knew he was gonna beat Marnie. It doesn't magically make sense that he beat a regional Champion but would lose to just anybody afterwards. It logically makes sense for him to lose to somebody in the hyper class and higher.
The PWC isn’t linear though.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
Aaaand this marks the third time in a row people have complained about a battle. I am not sure if there is a problem with the writing or a problem with the community, though if I were to guess I would say a bit of both.

At least there were no specifically dislikable parts in the battle I guess?

"Some people just want to watch the world burn"

And one of them it's me.

What this series has done to Team Rocket is unforgivable. It's a damage beyond repair for me.

This.

There are literally tens of thousands of shows out there, if 50% of the time you think it’s trash it’s makes no sense to tune in every week. Why would anyone subject themselves to a series you think has bad writing, bad animation, and bad characters?

You know what there is a saying in my country that says the following "What embellishes the desert is that somewhere there is a waterhole" so I have to keep watching to find the waterhole, to find that defining moment that will make me say "Hey this is not that bad"

If I choose to rest in the desert and surrender how I'm going to find that?

There is thousands of show. Yeah I can watch My Unoriginal Academia or Demon Slayer when it comes in 2025 if the world has not crumbled by then. I choose this one cause even from deep my heart I love this show.