• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marriage, can you really be bothered?

Most of us at some point in our lives will reach a point where we meet someone whom we'll want to spend the rest of our lives with. But can you really be bothered to book the church, organize the catering, send out the invitations - one of which is guaranteed to get lost in the post - and all the other stuff needed for a wedding, when you can just go down the the magistrates court, sign a marriage licence and be married in five minutes? Wedding are expensive, even a cheep one can potentially cost several thousand pounds. Surely it would be better to save that money for the more expensive stuff that comes latter in marriage like houses, cars and babies? After all it's not like your wedding will be the last party you'll host as a couple. There'll be anniversaries, bithdays, baby showers and naming ceremonies. The latter of which I would be more than willing to spash out on, as I concider it far less selfish to celebrate the arrival of a new life into the world than it is to disrupt everyone's schedule and have them stand in line for a day to watch me tie the knot. Any thoughts?

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
yeah it's kind of expensive is it? i'm personaly a fan of the weddingsack. easy and effective if you are strong enough.

chuboy

<- It was THIS big!
Most of us at some point in our lives will reach a point where we meet someone whom we'll want to spend the rest of our lives with. But can you really be bothered to book the church, organize the catering, send out the invitations - one of which is guaranteed to get lost in the post - and all the other stuff needed for a wedding, when you can just go down the the magistrates court, sign a marriage licence and be married in five minutes? Wedding are expensive, even a cheep one can potentially cost several thousand pounds. Surely it would be better to save that money for the more expensive stuff that comes latter in marriage like houses, cars and babies? After all it's not like your wedding will be the last party you'll host as a couple. There'll be anniversaries, bithdays, baby showers and naming ceremonies. The latter of which I would be more than willing to spash out on, as I concider it far less selfish to celebrate the arrival of a new life into the world than it is to disrupt everyone's schedule and have them stand in line for a day to watch me tie the knot. Any thoughts?
Well, tieing the knot is considered to be a huge event in someone's life. In fact, short of actually being born, there are few events as significant. What's wrong with celebrating that with your friends and family?

7 tyranitars

I guese it gives a feeling your 'really' bonded with someon

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
SoulSilver is the lord of romance. It's not a big deal for me but it is for her so it'd be fun.

jadebullet

I am having a nice country style wedding. The only big expenses are going to be catering and a DJ. Rather than a church, we are just going to rent a few pavilion canopies and set them up in the upper field. The reception and the wedding itself are at the same place.

Brumrha

Banned
Ugh... the mere mention of marriage is enough to make this sworn enemy of love cringe...

I am never going to get married, & I'll do whatever it takes to keep it that way. If someone were to be so love-struck by me that they're willing to physically force me into marrying them, I'll turn to suicide as a way out. That way, my "fiance" would cry herself the Nile River over my corpse, whilst I laugh at her evilly from the sky.

If it were someone else getting married, there are two things that I'll tell to both the groom & the bride-to-be: "May god have mercy on the both of you." & "I'm not attending your wedding, especially if it's on a Saturday."

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I think if you found some one you loved enough, then why not. You only live once. I imagine it would be nice to have a day celebrating your love and devotion to each other, with all your family and friends.
I mean Ive been in a relationship for 5 years, and my mum is constantly hinting at me getting engaged, but I just dont think I'm ready for it. (not sure where im going with this last point :p

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Ugh... the mere mention of marriage is enough to make this sworn enemy of love cringe...

I am never going to get married, & I'll do whatever it takes to keep it that way. If someone were to be so love-struck by me that they're willing to physically force me into marrying them, I'll turn to suicide as a way out. That way, my "fiance" would cry herself the Nile River over my corpse, whilst I laugh at her evilly from the sky.

If it were someone else getting married, there are two things that I'll tell to both the groom & the bride-to-be: "May god have mercy on the both of you." & "I'm not attending your wedding, especially if it's on a Saturday."
I bet you think you're soooooo edgy.

I never saw the need for the whole expensive diamond engagement ring/expensive traditional wedding cemerony with expensive catering and expensive cake/expensive diamond wedding ring shebang, but I've never been a very traditional person. That said, if I find someone I want to marry(and who wants to marry me!), I'll marry them. But I'm not going to go for a needlessly extravagant wedding with a huge number of guests. A small party with friends and the family members I'm closest to is all I'd need, and it'd be both more fun and less expensive than a traditional wedding. If *you* want to go the traditional route then more power to you; I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and I won't stop you. But it's just not my thing, so I won't go that route.

For those who can get it, good for them. For those of us who never will, we sit there and laugh.

Paying so much money for all that is pretty ridiculous. A gaudy ring, an ugly dress you'll only wear once, some big church you've never attended, food, horrible decor...its just kinda stupid, IMHO. Just go down to the courthouse, get a marriage license, and you're good.
Or, if you're crazy, Vegas weddings are always pretty interesting. Who WOULDN`T want Darth Vader standing there, marrying you two mega-nerds? I`d personally prefer Picard, but I digress.

A great way to avoid marriage, if that's not your thing? Get fat. \o/ You repel people better than spraying a Max Repel on a route full of Bidoof.

Last edited:

Hey I used to say stuff similar to this, not as severe, but stuff like "I WASN'T NEVER GOING TO GET MARRIED!"
though that was long ago, when I was young and immature and all a little bit stupid :B

If you find the right person, then have whatever wedding your heart desires. Hopefully you only have one of these!

shadow wolf

The one and only!
If I can afford why the heck not. Honestly depends what the spouse would want. So, I'm fine either way.

At first I reasoned that we were all 14 once, but then I realised you are 23.

faithInHumanity = faithInHumanity - 1

Adam Sandler sucks.

Anyway, I am engaged and i am looking forward to it. Not got a set date as we need to finish education first (yes we are out of school, I'm talking about college/Uni)

However I think it is a bit ridiculous to spend a stupid amount of money on the thing and i hate people looking at me (so walking up the isle is going to be a pain and as is the whole first dance thing). We are not getting married in a church as we are not religious at all. Churches themselves are lovely buildings but i am not going to make an effort to visit one every sunday and pretend to pray to a fake god just so i can spend less than an hour in one and sign a bit of paper.

That's something i hate about traditional religious weddings, especially if one half of the couple are not religious but they feel they must make an effort for thier religious other half. I also hate seating plans, set menus and paying money for invitations that i can make myself or use a phone/internet to do the job.
Let people sit where they want and let them order what they want.

However the rings, dress and shoes MUST be right =P. Especially the shoes.

That's my woman desires coming through though.

Anyway as far as the whole marriage thing is to me i honestly could live without it, in fact out of all my female friends i was the most opposed to it and now out of them i am the first to get engaged. The reason being that it is really important to my fiance and since i love him more than anything i want to marry him back as i know it will make him the happiest.

Also I'm HARDLY going to not enjoy it =P

So yeah we're going to have it in a nice place and the reception hopefully at our favourite drinking spot. We aren't going to bother with super expensive things just to make it more wedding-like.

Profesco

gone gently
A combination of these sentiments.

If I can afford why the heck not. Honestly depends what the spouse would want. So, I'm fine either way.

Honestly, that money could be put to a lot of better uses than some big shin-dig.

I don't mind weddings at all. Having to plan and pay for one will be a huge pain in the neck and not something I'd do for the sole purpose of my own amusement, but it's still probably worth it, especially if it makes the spouse happy. Weddings are kind of sweet, anyway.

Plus, I've got to have someplace to wear my orange-and-green tux.

Why wouldn't I get married? It's not the wedding itself, but the sentiment. The idea of a ceremony that brings two wonderful people together, so they can share the rest of their lives as a family.

Now, I'm not going to have a traditional wedding at all. Both Haruka and I have agreed that our wedding would be more of an awesome party that everyone will remember from years to come. We'd still say our vows and what have you, but the wedding itself would be very informal. Something you can feel relaxed and calm at. I've never been a fan of being a fancypants.