• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marriage, can you really be bothered?

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Well, if you really are in love with a person and you want to start a family... I can be "bothered". :p

I'm deeply in love with my gf. But we're 14, so I doubt we'll get married. Ahaha

PokeN3rd

Not Gem King Kilik
People should only get married if they are truly in love and know they will continue to be. Getting married because you want to rebel or getting married because you think it's the right thing to do aren't good reasons. You must know it's an OK thing to do because you're vowing to spend your life with that person. Should you choose not to, divorcing can cost you a lot and you'll probably miss out on plenty in life.

Divorce really is to easy these days. People get married thinking 'If I don't love this person later I can just file divorce!' But you know, that's their problem. If they can't come to see the responsibility of marriage, then they should be allowed to divorce and face what comes with it -- riches or losses. Oh well.

Darthkirby707

YINGER-HINGER-DURGEN
I have always thought weddings are kind of cheesy. But the king of expensive useless purchases is jewelry. I will never understand jewelry.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
You shouldn't need legal procedures to prove your love for another person.

Plus, having four ex-girlfriends sounds far more awesome than having four ex-wives.

Lazaruskun

The best since 1996
Your seriously gonna ask this question in a forum where there majority of people here cant even get legally married on their own -_-.

Most of the people here probably dont know what there talking about, like the chap above me.

If you love someone and they want to, you will have to comprimise cause thats what its all about, compremising to make life better for the both of you. But then again im sure the 15 year olds have a much more potent opinion on the matter which we should all listen to ¬.¬

SneaselClaw

But then again im sure the 15 year olds have a much more potent opinion on the matter which we should all listen to ¬.¬

I lol'd.

I'm getting married next year and I honestly couldn't be more excited about it right now. I see it as a chance to express your love with your partner and having your family and friends around you to share the experience.
You can't get the same experience from just having a party, no matter how much money you pour into it.

natie

Mr. F
I never saw the need for the whole expensive diamond engagement ring/expensive traditional wedding cemerony with expensive catering and expensive cake/expensive diamond wedding ring shebang, but I've never been a very traditional person. That said, if I find someone I want to marry(and who wants to marry me!), I'll marry them. But I'm not going to go for a needlessly extravagant wedding with a huge number of guests. A small party with friends and the family members I'm closest to is all I'd need, and it'd be both more fun and less expensive than a traditional wedding. If *you* want to go the traditional route then more power to you; I'm sure you'll be happy with it, and I won't stop you. But it's just not my thing, so I won't go that route.
Same here, I'd rather have a party with a couple of people I really know than invite the entire family only to say hi and give them some food and beverages. No need to do something as ridiculous as that.

Also, you don't HAVE to marry through church (hurray for atheism).

Last edited:

Crystal

The Pokemon Observer
One question to everyone who participated in this thread discussion:

Did anyone of had ever participated in a wedding? No need to be a big wedding ceremony, but at least a gathering of the bride and bridegroom. It can be your friend's wedding, your family member's wedding, or your boss's/colleague's wedding in your working place.

I did not. So I'll not give any opinion on the need of marriage and/or wedding ceremony. But still I do agree marriage is a troublesome event.

But yet, I post this question because if anyone of you had ever seen someone marry, then you might understand why someone had the need or not need to marry + giving out the ceremony.

One question to everyone who participated in this thread discussion:

Did anyone of had ever participated in a wedding? No need to be a big wedding ceremony, but at least a gathering of the bride and bridegroom. It can be your friend's wedding, your family member's wedding, or your boss's/colleague's wedding in your working place.

I did not. So I'll not give any opinion on the need of marriage and/or wedding ceremony. But still I do agree marriage is a troublesome event.

But yet, I post this question because if anyone of you had ever seen someone marry, then you might understand why someone had the need or not need to marry + giving out the ceremony.

I've been to many weddings in my life. I suppose that's because I'm Indian, and I have a rather big family...

I rather enjoy going to the weddings, though the way my family chooses to do it, is different to your traditional Muslim wedding (where, like, the boys and girls are split) or a traditional Indian wedding (which involves various other traditions, like I think breaking a coconut).

Before the wedding we have the "Moharu" where the brothers and sisters of the groom and bride's parents give thanks for being invited, by feeding them sweets, or giving presents to them.
If that's a bit complicated, let me say it like this:
Say I get married (hey, it's all hypothetical), my parents' brothers and sisters will feed us sweets/gives presents/etc. as a way of saying thanks for getting invited.

Then you have the whole wedding itself (where the various religious stuff happens), other traditions happen here (I think including the groom paying for the bride, and/or his shoes). The bride plans and pays for all this.

Then comes the "Walima". It's basically the reception that the groom plans/pays for. Not much else to say here.

Soyeah, I've actually been to a LOT of weddings. In fact, my cousin's wedding is coming up sometime mid-September (forgot the date XD). I'ma have to wear a suit 8D.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I agree that weddings really do take a lot more money than it's worth. But at the same time, it's the idea that you and your loved one are now becoming husband and wife/husband and husband/wife and wife on that day until forever (hopefully). Also, you'll look back on it and remember the happiness of that day and the events that happened that day (probably, unless you have one of those weddings that turns into a drunken debauchery where the cops have to take half the people away, but even then you can look back and laugh at that moment).

As for me, I'm really unsure. I'm probably going to end up having a semi-big wedding (my family wouldn't allow me to just get one of those wedding papers signed and call it a day). I would like to spend as little money on it as possible, but whatever. It's long in the future, so who knows.