• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel Universe Discussion Thread - **SPOILER WARNING** (movies, shows, etc.)

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
I didn't see a thread about these movies, so I hope it's okay if I start one ^^;; anyway, as the title might suggest, here is a place to talk about all things Marvel Cinematic Universe!

Questions to get started~

What are your favourite MCU movies and/or characters?

Which upcoming MCU movies are you looking forward to?

Marvel comics fans: what do you think of the MCU as an adaptation (things you liked, things you wish they'd done differently or not done at all)? Any characters or plots from the comics you'd like to see in the MCU?

If you didn't/don't read the comics: have you gotten into other Marvel media because of the MCU? (not just the comics - it could be the animated shows, games, anything at all)

Good thread choice sir, I am deeply grateful.

My answers:

1) My favourite Marvel movie is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Small SPOILERS ahead (don't know how to use spoiler tags).................................Everything about it was great, Arnim Zola, the Dr Strange, Smasher and Moon Knight references, the post credits scene and all of the ACTION!!! I also loved the first and second Iron Man films and The Incredible. I actually think the Thor movies are the worst, I don't know why.

2) Although it isn't official, I cannot wait for the Dr Strange movie, that has to happen. Also, my opinion for the credit music is "Tiptoe" by Imagine Dragons. Also looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy and Age of Ultron.

3) I would love to see Man-Thing in Agents of Shield, and I think Smasher could be introduced into it as well. For movies, I really really really want to see a Black Panther movie, he is like 100 times cooler than Batman.

4) I never watched superhero movies, but I saw that Iron Man 3 was getting good reviews so I decided to watch the first and second first. But then, I realised that there was a whole universe all relating to the same plot, so I ended up watching them all. Now Marvel movies are one of my many obsessions.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
I never watched superhero movies, but I saw that Iron Man 3 was getting good reviews so I decided to watch the first and second first. But then, I realised that there was a whole universe all relating to the same plot, so I ended up watching them all. Now Marvel movies are one of my many obsessions.

I always was half and half into Marvel when I was a teen.. So I saw Iron Man, and the soundtrack is actually what hooked me as I'm a huge AC/DC-fan.. But as for actual movies, yeah, Winter Soldier is definitely my favorite, even though Cap is my least favorite Avenger. First Avenger, Avengers, Winter Soldier back to back just makes so much sense..

Personally, I'm very satisfied with "Phase 2" thus far. The three Post-Avengers I movies while not all as good as some others did have the right atmosphere of being after such a climactic event.

Mister_SGG

I can't wait for them to introduce more Avengers with their own origins film. Marvel has a bright future at the moment.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I can't wait for Guardians of The Galaxy. "Hooked on a Feeling" has got me... Hooked, no pun intended. It seems like a great and fun watch. I can see RR becoming extremely popular to the masses, especially since he's got an attitude. I can also see people cosplaying more as Star Lord. Have Marvel stated where in the timeline the movie exists? I have a feeling GOTG will actually be set AFTER AoU, taking their cue from the 2008 GOTG comic reboot.

As for movies that I want to see in Phase 3 (I think only Ant-Man is the confirmed one so far), I'd like to see Namor or Moon Knight. I want to see underrated characters get their own movies. A Doctor Strange movie is currently being planned, and it would introduce the mystical part of the Marvel Universe.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I can't wait for them to introduce more Avengers with their own origins film. Marvel has a bright future at the moment.

Well, I can't speak for the comics, however the members that appear in the cartoons have mostly debuted already. The ones who haven't are Ant Man(confirmed film already), Wasp(I would imagine she would appear in the Ant Man movie in some form given there bond), Ms. Marvel, Black Panther(this would be an awesome movie), and Vision(he seems to be making an appearance in Avengers 2).

The main guys have all gotten a movie except for Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon(he is in the cartoon at least).

I could see a Widow/Hawkeye film somewhere down the line(although they could of just put him in Cap. 2 like they did with Widow lol).

The next movie I hope they announce though is a Black Panther movie. I loved him in the cartoon so him getting a movie would be awesome.

Looking into the comics, members include:

Swordsman(idk his chances given the whole villain thing)
Hercules(apparently he's gonna be in season 2 of avengers assemble)
Black Knight(never heard of him lol).
Mantis(she sounds pretty bad ***)
Moondragon(sounds really bad ***)
Hellcat(seems pretty basic to me)
Two-Gun Kid(Lol never heard of him, sounds like a glorified cow boy)
Wonder Man(He's a villain in the avengers cartoon)
Tigra(seems pretty cool)
She-Hulk(I wish she would get a movie, I love her lol, although she is a main character on Agents of Smash so there's that)
Captain Marvel(She seems pretty awesome)
Starfox(sounds kind of like a jerk to be honest)
Doctor Druid(idk what to say about him)

After this it goes into a bunch of different groups which seem to deviate from the actual main group avengers. I have no comic book knowledge so I could be totally wrong about the above.

BCVM22

Have Marvel stated where in the timeline the movie exists?

The Marvel films have taken place more or less in order of release, the variable being how long it is from film to film.

I have a feeling GOTG will actually be set AFTER AoU, taking their cue from the 2008 GOTG comic reboot.

No, this will likely not be the case.

As for movies that I want to see in Phase 3 (I think only Ant-Man is the confirmed one so far)

Captain America 3 is confirmed, Dr. Strange is confirmed in development, the Avengers cast is under contract for a third film in that line and they'll confirm Thor 3 at some point.

I'd like to see Namor

Marvel Studios doesn't have Namor's rights.

Swordsman(idk his chances given the whole villain thing)
Hercules(apparently he's gonna be in season 2 of avengers assemble)
Black Knight(never heard of him lol).
Mantis(she sounds pretty bad ***)
Moondragon(sounds really bad ***)
Hellcat(seems pretty basic to me)
Two-Gun Kid(Lol never heard of him, sounds like a glorified cow boy)
Wonder Man(He's a villain in the avengers cartoon)
Tigra(seems pretty cool)
She-Hulk(I wish she would get a movie, I love her lol, although she is a main character on Agents of Smash so there's that)
Captain Marvel(She seems pretty awesome)
Starfox(sounds kind of like a jerk to be honest)
Doctor Druid(idk what to say about him)

You'll almost certainly see some iteration of Captain Marvel in a film soon, possibly as soon as an Age of Ultron cameo, though it's unclear how they'd introduce Carol Danvers without her male Kree predecessor. She-Hulk is a candidate if Hulk ever gets another film. The rest are all obscure characters whom they don't need to use because they aren't going to lose access to the core Avengers.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
The Marvel films have taken place more or less in order of release, the variable being how long it is from film to film.

Captain America 3 is confirmed, Dr. Strange is confirmed in development, the Avengers cast is under contract for a third film in that line and they'll confirm Thor 3 at some point.

You'll almost certainly see some iteration of Captain Marvel in a film soon, possibly as soon as an Age of Ultron cameo, though it's unclear how they'd introduce Carol Danvers without her male Kree predecessor. She-Hulk is a candidate if Hulk ever gets another film. The rest are all obscure characters whom they don't need to use because they aren't going to lose access to the core Avengers.

Are Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel the same people?? Cuz in the cartoon, I do believe Carol was the name of Ms. Marvel.

Honestly my top three characters to get movies would probably be She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and Black Panther.

BCVM22

Are Captain Marvel and Ms. Marvel the same people?? Cuz in the cartoon, I do believe Carol was the name of Ms. Marvel.

The original Captain Marvel was a Kree envoy to Earth. An accident involving Kree technology granted Air Force colonel Carol Danvers his powers; she originally took the name Ms. Marvel (later Binary, Warbird) and served with the Avengers and as a hero on and off. In the interim, the name Captain Marvel shuffled among a few individuals - some linked to the original, some not - until Marvel decided they wanted Carol at the forefront of their stable of female characters without her being a "Ms." and had her take the name.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
The original Captain Marvel was a Kree envoy to Earth. An accident involving Kree technology granted Air Force colonel Carol Danvers his powers; she originally took the name Ms. Marvel (later Binary, Warbird) and served with the Avengers and as a hero on and off. In the interim, the name Captain Marvel shuffled among a few individuals - some linked to the original, some not - until Marvel decided they wanted Carol at the forefront of their stable of female characters without her being a "Ms." and had her take the name.

So Carol is officially Captain Marvel now, not Ms. Marvel anymore??

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
That's correct. She took the name about two years ago now.

Ah, thanks for the info. Kind of like the name Ms. Marvel better but meh.

Perhaps she can appear in Agents of Shield?? I mean they do have the whole Kree storyline going.

BCVM22

She's a name that Marvel wants at the forefront. If they use Carol specifically, they'll debut her in the films where more eyes (or at least more notable eyes) can see her (and where there's a more generous effects budget).

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna

Iron Man 1 and 2 were set before Hulk 2008, and of course, Cap First Avenger was set way before all the others. I can still see GOTG taking place after AoU. We can't really tell yet, until the movie is out, and we get little hints of where the movie takes place (mention of Chitauri attack, Loki losing his scepter, etc).

Namor is part of the FOX Fantastic Four deal then? Dangit! Whatever. Can't wait for Justice League's Aquaman instead.

GOTG is going to introduce several alien races, one of which is the Kree. And they'll have to branch off someday. Gotta introduce the West Coast Avengers, Next Avengers, Avengers Academy, Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, and of course the silly side, Pet Avengers! Marvel has full creative control, and they can expand it so much. The one I'm looking forward to the most is Marvel Zombies , but I doubt that's gonna happen sometime in the next decade.

BCVM22

Iron Man 1 and 2 were set before Hulk 2008, and of course, Cap First Avenger was set way before all the others.

I did say "more or less", but people never quite seem to get that. The former isn't even necessarily completely accurate - Nick Fury has Hulk footage running in the base where he meets with Tony at the end of Iron Man 2, suggesting the two films take place concurrently to some degree if anything.

Your assessment is based on the One-Shot, I'm sure, and while that did happen, it seems more like they conceived that entire short solely to try and explain why Tony would be talking to General Ross of all people at the end of Hulk, a conversation that doesn't otherwise fit with the larger Avengers narrative.

I can still see GOTG taking place after AoU. We can't really tell yet

Problem being you're not really basing that on anything. I could surmise any number of other potential continuital placements for Guardians of the Galaxy based on equally little.

Namor is part of the FOX Fantastic Four deal then?

Worse, he's at Universal, the sole Marvel character they have. So the possibility exists of a Namor film where the character exists completely outside any sort of larger Marvel Universe.

Gotta introduce the West Coast Avengers, Next Avengers, Avengers Academy, Dark Avengers, Young Avengers, and of course the silly side, Pet Avengers!

Expecting all of these - any of these - in film any time in the next... ever... is a bit unrealistic for any number of reasons. Key among them, Marvel knows they can't spread out the brand in film like they can in comics, where they run 5-6-7-8 titles under the Avengers indicia at any given time, without risking diluting it severely and irreparably.

Last edited:

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
Black Panther has also been stated to be in development, and Stan Lee said that he definitely wants to see one. I think characters like Moon Knight, Smasher or Wasp will either be sidekicks or have cameos in movies, or be main characters in episodes of Agents of Shield, or any of the Defenders mini-series seasons. BTW can't wait for Daredevil and Iron Fist!!! Captain Marvel should also be around by the Avengers 4 movie, if Marvel want the diversity right. Guardians of the Galaxy has been confirmed to take place after the Iron Man 3 storyline, I think. WILL NOT be after AoU, as GOTG features an Infinity Gem which will most likely be the subplot for AoU.

Discussion: Who would you want to play Dr Strange and Black Panther in the movies? I would go for Johnny Depp (would have been Liam Neeson if not for his age) and Idris Elba, although it's hard for me to picture him in the part.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Problem being you're not really basing that on anything. I could surmise any number of other potential continuital placements for Guardians of the Galaxy based on equally little.

Like I said, I was basing it off the GOTG 2008 reboot, in which Ultron had an impact. Of course they don't really have to follow, but it could have been the inspiration for the movie's plot. But as Torterra said, it's been confirmed (I'll have to look this up later. Can't believe I missed this info) to take place after AoU, so that's that.

Expecting all of these - any of these - in film any time in the next... ever... is a bit unrealistic for any number of reasons. Key among them, Marvel knows they can't spread out the brand in film like they can in comics, where they run 5-6-7-8 titles under the Avengers indicia at any given time, without risking diluting it severely and irreparably.
Like the "Nintendo must make parks!" argument, I'm not EXPECTING all of them to be adapted. Do i have to make a "just joking!" or "nah, not really", or any of that sort to all my comments? Don't take it everything so literal. Of course I know expecting all that is too much.

However, I can definitely see West Coast Avengers and New Avengers being created sometime in the next decade. Pietro and Wanda are in AoU, and they and Hawkeye can be part of the WCA, like in the comics. I can totally see Pet Avengers becoming a fun Disney show.

And yes, I also can't see the comic model working in movie form. Having that many, IMO, would just pop the Superhero craze happening right now, so they have to be careful on how they progress it. Will they have to reboot the whole thing several years from now? Maybe, maybe not. I'll just have to see how Marvel and Disney keeps things fresh as the years go on.

Discussion: Who would you want to play Dr Strange and Black Panther in the movies? I would go for Johnny Depp (would have been Liam Neeson if not for his age) and Idris Elba, although it's hard for me to picture him in the part.

No Idris Elba. Chris Evans might have played two Marvel heroes (Human Torch and Cap), but at least they were from different movie universes and weren't connected in any way. Idris Elba is already in Thor as Heimdall, and having him play T'Challa in the same connected universe would confuse moviegoers.

Didn't the Vulture already get an actor? IIRC, Stan Lee said he wanted to play a villain. Vulture could have been perfect for him. Just give him a bald cap.