• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel Universe Discussion Thread - **SPOILER WARNING** (movies, shows, etc.)

Whiscash

Professional catfish
...I didn't see a thread about these movies, so I hope it's okay if I start one ^^;; anyway, as the title might suggest, here is a place to talk about all things Marvel Cinematic Universe!

For those of you that don't know, the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is the umbrella term for all the recent (last 5 or so years) Marvel superhero movies, which take place in the same universe. That includes The Avengers (or Avengers Assemble, depending on what country you're in), the Iron Man movies, the Thor movies, Captain America, and many more projects planned for the future! There's also the spin-off Agents of SHIELD TV series (which has its own thread here, but is also part of the MCU and references the movies quite often). SPOILERS EVERYWHERE for all the movies if you haven't seen them, but try to put the most recently released info/trailers/etc under cuts. Have fun! ^.^

Questions to get started~

What are your favourite MCU movies and/or characters?

For me it's tough, but I think The Avengers is my favourite. It was the first MCU movie I ever saw, but I just love seeing the team coming together, the way all the heroes meet and how their different personalities interact/clash with each other. The action scenes are pretty epic too of course, and it was a lot funnier than I thought it would be, but also has its sad moments. (COULSON ;__; although we know what happens there in the end. OR DO WE *dun dun duuun*)

I also loved Thor, even though it feels a bit ~lighter - it has humour, but also still a lot of emotional moments, and the characters both on Asgard and Earth really work for me. Thor: The Dark World may have just come out but it's fast becoming a favourite:
it was great to get closure on what happened to Loki post-Avengers, and the Loki/Thor relationship just gives me so many ~feelings~ - they're total opposites, but they love each other even when they hate each other! So sad about Frigga though, she was so awesome :c ngl I cried at least twice, but DAT ENDING. Thor 3 CANNOT COME SOON ENOUGH.

As for characters (if you couldn't tell already, lol), Thor is my absolute favourite. He's so lovely and sweet and enthusiastic and loyal (like a big golden retriever?), but he's also not a complete idiot like some people think - he tries so hard to do the right thing and fight for what he believes in, even though he's conflicted between worlds/family/etc!
But now he's lost his mother and (as far as he knows) his brother AGAIN, and I just want him to be happy :c
Basically, I am a massive Thor fangirl. (a lot of people on the internet will probably tell you Loki is better BUT THOSE PEOPLE ARE WRONG /unpopular opinion)

My second favourite would have to be Black Widow - she was awesome in The Avengers and the scene where she interrogates Loki, appears to be scared and then just totally owns him is my favourite ever. I reeeeally wish she'd get her own movie, or even a Black Widow/Hawkeye movie, but I can't wait to see more of her. I love all the six (so far) main Avengers in different ways/for different reasons, pretty much.

Which upcoming MCU movies are you looking forward to?

Captain America: The Winter Soldier!! The trailer looks amazing.
I am mostly excited for more Black Widow in my life, but I also can't wait to see Falcon in the MCU (from what I know of him in the comics and from the Avengers Assemble animated series, I really like him) and the whole Winter Soldier/Bucky plot. I haven't read the comics, so it's all new to me. Chris Evans being really hot doesn't hurt, either.
Also Avengers: Age Of Ultron, obviously.

Marvel comics fans: what do you think of the MCU as an adaptation (things you liked, things you wish they'd done differently or not done at all)? Any characters or plots from the comics you'd like to see in the MCU?

I only started reading the comics after I got into the movies so I can't really answer this, but I am looking forward to seeing
Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2!

If you didn't/don't read the comics: have you gotten into other Marvel media because of the MCU? (not just the comics - it could be the animated shows, games, anything at all)

I knew pretty much nothing about superheroes before I went to see The Avengers - I only knew Iron Man cause my friend is obsessed with him, lol - but I ended up falling in love with the characters so decided to investigate further, and I'm so glad I did ^.^ comics still confuse me a bit because there are so MANY of them, idek where to start so I really just read bits here and there. But I started watching the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon (which was AWESOME and I miss it, tbh, the new one's just not as good :x) and other stuff which got me into Marvel in general, and that's really increased my enjoyment of the MCU movies c: but it's good that you can enjoy the movies without having to know anything about the comics before, though some comics purists probably disagree on that.

Last edited:

magmorta

I love thor 2 and avengers the most probably- and Hawkeye needs WAY more screen time!

TheEliteEmpoleon

I love Marvel, and the MCU. The movies are all really great. My favorite movie would have to be The Avengers. Although all the movies are close, The Avengers pulls ahead a little more for me. It really wrapped up Phase One nicely. And seeing Thanos at the very end was cool. Phase Two has also been awesome. IM3 and T:TTD were both great. I'm really looking forward to Captian America and Guardians of the Galaxy for within the next 12 months, and after that Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. But those are way far ahead. Right now I'm asking for the complete Phase One blu ray thing for Christmas.

Whiscash

Professional catfish
Hawkeye needs WAY more screen time!

Agreed! It sucks that he was brainwashed for like 90% of Avengers, and he wasn't even in it that much anyway...Hopefully he gets more to do in Avengers 2, or maybe a cameo in one of the new movies. (He could have a cameo with Natasha in Cap 2!)

I love Marvel, and the MCU. The movies are all really great. My favorite movie would have to be The Avengers. Although all the movies are close, The Avengers pulls ahead a little more for me. It really wrapped up Phase One nicely. And seeing Thanos at the very end was cool. Phase Two has also been awesome. IM3 and T:TTD were both great. I'm really looking forward to Captian America and Guardians of the Galaxy for within the next 12 months, and after that Age of Ultron and Ant-Man. But those are way far ahead. Right now I'm asking for the complete Phase One blu ray thing for Christmas.

Awesome, I got that boxset last Christmas ^^ yeah, Phase Two has been really good so far! Hoping it continues next year...I totally forgot about Ant-Man, lol. I'm not a huge fan of him in EMH and the comics, tbh, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

What does anyone think about another Hulk movie, btw? It looks unlikely they'd do another one, with so much other stuff planned for the future and how the other Hulk movies haven't been that popular, but I'd kinda like to see one with Mark Ruffalo since he was great in Avengers.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Yeah Ruffalo is probably the best Hulk out of Bana, the 2008 one, and himself. But the Hulk as you said isn't too popular, and I'd rather see movies based on other, maybe lesser known heroes instead of another Hulk movie. Marvel says if they were to do another one, it would be after Avengers 2, so we still have a bunch of time for the character and Ruffalo to develop enough for another one.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Love the MCU. Most of their movies have become some of my favorites in the past few years. Some of my favorite characters to come out of them so far are Tony Stark/Iron Man, Thor, and recently Bruce Banner/Hulk. Robert Downey Jr made me just love the character of Tony Stark and made me get interested in Iron Man and Chris Hemsworth does the same for me with Thor, as he just has the role down pat as well as Ruffalo for Banner, who is easily the best person to have portrayed him so far. And Loki of course goes without saying. Avengers has to be my favorite as it just brought everything together nicely and just provided one big source of epic superhero action. I really wish Spider-Man was able to be included in, but sadly that isn't the case so far. He's easily my favorite hero next to Iron Man. Although Iron Patriot/Rhodey is slowly starting to make a case for me.

Last edited:

Whiscash

Professional catfish
^ Technically, Spider-Man isn't part of the MCU because it's made by...Sony, I think? Which sucks, because as deathseer said, it'd be great to see him join the Avengers, but it won't happen while different companies own the rights to different heroes. Same deal with the X-Men :\ The first movie was underwhelming for me, but the trailer for the second one looks like it could be promising, so we'll see! (Admittedly, I wasn't much of a Spidey fan until I saw the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, but I love him and his snark/4th wall-breaking in that and I like Andrew Garfield's version well enough too. And I keep meaning to watch the Sam Raimi Spider-Man trilogy sometime, is that any good? /a little OT)

deathseer said:
I really wish Spider-Man was able to be included in, but sadly that isn't the case so far. He's easily my favorite hero next to Iron Man. Although Iron Patriot/Rhodey is slowly starting to make a case for me.

Maybe they'll get the rights back for Avengers 3! Probably not, cause money blah blah but you never know, right? And Iron Man 3 really made me love Rhodey, he's awesome. WARMACHINEROX

TheEliteEmpoleon said:
Yeah Ruffalo is probably the best Hulk out of Bana, the 2008 one, and himself. But the Hulk as you said isn't too popular, and I'd rather see movies based on other, maybe lesser known heroes instead of another Hulk movie. Marvel says if they were to do another one, it would be after Avengers 2, so we still have a bunch of time for the character and Ruffalo to develop enough for another one.

Yeah, I think that would be best if they did make another one, especially since the new characters in Avengers 2 will need development/maybe their own movies? I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in Avengers 2 anyway. (The Iron Man 3 post-credits scene counts as development, right? It shows us Bruce and Tony are still in contact, at least, which makes me happy because they were great together in Avengers. Science bros~!!) But yeah - they have so many great characters and stories to. I'd personally love to see some more female heroes - if we can't have a Black Widow movie, then maybe Captain Marvel?

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
The MCU is great. I love all the steps they did for the Avengers! It blew me away. I saw it with my family and we all loved it. My sister's not even a superhero fan by any means and she had a great time with the Avengers. We are excited for Avengers 2. Iron Man was great, one of my favorite comic book hero movies ever. Iron Man 2 was...not as good but Iron Man 3 made up for it. I saw Thor and I loved it. I wasn't much of a Thor fan until I saw the movie and it made me love Thor and Loki so much. I can't wait to see Thor 2 Dark World. I could say the same for Captain America. After reading the comic series Avengers vs X-Men I was a little turned off to the character but his movie made me love him as well. I really enjoyed what he stood for in the movie and Steve Rogers was good in his movie and Avengers :)

For the other Marvel movies not apart of the MCU, I loved the Amazing Spider-Man reboot movie. After Spider-Man 3 I was a little worried they rushed the reboot but they did a good job and I really enjoyed the Amazing Spider-Man. Without a doubt I'm looking forward to the Amazing Spider-Man 2, but I must admit I'm worried they'll kill Gwen Stacy off. I enjoyed her more then the Mary Jane character in the original trilogy. The X-Men movies, I love First Class and X2. X-Men and the Last Stand are alright, not my faves. I did not enjoy Wolverine and haven't seen the new Wolverine movie yet. I wish we could see the Avengers, Spider-Man, and X-Men all in one movie for the biggest blockbuster movie ever. But I know they are owned by different companies movie wise.

CMDShift4

Anonymous
Oops, I forgot that Spiderdude and Wolverine are not part of the MCU. That sucks because it'll be awesome to be in it.

As for the MCU goes, I really amazed at the Captain America: Winter Soldier trailer. Cap 2 would be something like a comic book characters in a Tom Clancy setting. Cap going head to head with the WS (who's using a knife) was amazing. Did you see how effortlessly WS caught his shield? For me, it'll be better than IM3 and Thor 2 once again.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
I largely enjoy MCU movies, Thor was great and I simply really enjoyed Thor and Loki a lot as well as their brotherly dynamic and interactions. I think I enjoyed Loki's role more than Thor because I felt like there was more there and felt as though I could actually relate to his situation. I'm heavily looking forward to seeing the sequel sometimes from today to Saturday, I've heard nothing but good about it. The Avengers is another great one, the combining of so many amazing heroes into one epic movie and seeing them all work alongside one another was simply fantastic.

I'm looking forward to soon seeing Captain America, the sequel for it, The Amazing Spider-Man and its sequel. Iron Man was fun and Tony Stark was very entertaining, I've been meaning to watch both sequels but I keep procrastinating them. I have fair amount of watching to do without a doubt. Also Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is most definitely on my to-watch list. How could I forget the Incredible Hulk, I've seen it iirc back when I was younger but I've surely forgot the plot completely and everything. Thor was the first movie where I've really, really appreciated a villain, Loki is very interesting for me and a big part of the enjoyment factor of the films.

Steampunk

One Truth Prevails
Just finished seeing CA:TWS, and loved it. I still have to see Thor 2, but other than that, I think I have seen the rest of the SHIELD/Avengers arc. I think the only one from the X-Men arc, I haven't seen is The Wolverine. [spoil]With the introduction of mutants into the Avengers arc, (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch) I am hoping that we will see these 2 arcs meet more in the future.[/spoil]

Mister_SGG

I adored Cap 2. It's my favourite Phase 2 film by far; great tone, spectacular action, and some good one-liners. Classic MCU film.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Winter Soldier was amazing! These movies are really coming along nicely. Phase Two will only get better, too, with Guardians and Ultron. And then Phase Three begins on my birthday in 2015, so I'm excited for Ant-Man as well.

With the introduction of mutants into the Avengers arc, (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch) I am hoping that we will see these 2 arcs meet more in the future.

Keep in mind that Days of Future Past will have a different version of the twins, so its not like they will be bridging the gap between the two universes. The MCU doesn't have the rights to any mutants; but seeing as Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are both mutants and Avengers, they can be in both universes. If it weren't for legal issues, then maybe we'd see them in both series being the same people with the same actors.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Just finished seeing CA:TWS, and loved it. I still have to see Thor 2, but other than that, I think I have seen the rest of the SHIELD/Avengers arc. I think the only one from the X-Men arc, I haven't seen is The Wolverine. [spoil]With the introduction of mutants into the Avengers arc, (Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch) I am hoping that we will see these 2 arcs meet more in the future.[/spoil]

While not movies per say, we do see X men appear in the the cartoons. Wolverine appeared in the Ultimate Spiderman a couple of times for instance.

BCVM22

While not movies per say, we do see X men appear in the the cartoons. Wolverine appeared in the Ultimate Spiderman a couple of times for instance.

But that's an irrelevant entity entirely separate from the various film continuities, ostensibly what are being discussed here.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
But that's an irrelevant entity entirely separate from the various film continuities, ostensibly what are being discussed here.

I know, I'm just saying that if they have the rights to put them in their shows, they could put X-Men in the movies in the future.

BCVM22

I'm aware what you're saying, and it's absolutely not the case. Movie rights and television rights are not the same and are not linked, at all, hence words like "irrelevant" and "separate".

Last edited:

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm aware what you're saying, and it's absolutely not the case. Movie rights and television rights are not the same and are not linked, at all, hence words like "irrelevant" and "separate".

I'm assuming that since they have characters on their shows that appear in both the movies and the shows, that they could make in the future.

After all, many of the characters that appeared in the shows have also appeared in the movies.

BCVM22

Okay. I'll try again. What I'm telling you - I'm not guessing, I'm not hypothesizing, I'm not going "well, but..." - is that movie rights and television rights are not the same. It is wholly irrelevant which characters you've seen appear on TV. As the rights are structured right now, Marvel Studios has most of the characters and Sony and FOX have a few each.

Barring future modifications to these rights - which none of the sides are inclined to change, for now - these properties cannot, legally or practically, cross over in films from company to company. Again, this is completely separate from what you've seen as far as character appearances in cartoons, which are separate and irrelevant here.

Please read this thoroughly, please understand and please do not respond "well I saw this character in a cartoon on TV so it COULD happen in the movies!" I can't phrase this any differently.