• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel Universe Discussion Thread - **SPOILER WARNING** (movies, shows, etc.)

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
What part of this requires discussion, though? Paul Walker was also rumored for Captain America at one point long, long ago. Mel Gibson and Keanu Reaves were attached to/rumored for the role of Wolverine at different points many years ago. Punchline is that casting rumors for superhero roles go through more mutations than a flu virus. If we suddenly have to discuss what would be different if a given role were played by a different actor or actress, we'll be here forever.

That's a long paragraph that didn't really touch on the subject I was getting at.

Rumors are rumors. Several years have passed, we got Chris Evans to play Cap, okay. But I was also indirectly sharing my opinion about the complaints I've been seeing about Johnny Storm being a black guy in the FF reboot. (No one really commented, but I just want to share my opinion on the matter. Because hey, why not. I've got nothing better to do.) I personally don't think it matters if Johnny was white or black. It doesn't change his character either way. I don't find it a big deal like others were making it seem to be. Like I said, just my opinion. If anyone feels strongly against the decision of the casting, well I won't argue with you.

Last edited:

BCVM22

As much you don't want to admit it, a character from a show being pretty popular can influence movie writers to add that character into the movies or make movies based on that show. Not saying that is happening here, just that it can.

Ah, here we go. This is exactly what I'm saying is absolutely not the case, because it is absolutely not the case. Nothing the animated iterations do, in any way, has any effect on the films. It's that simple. It has not a thing to do with who wants to admit what, and if you really want to play the bias card, is it at all possible you place an inordinate amount of value on the animated iterations as a result of them being your prime exposure to the characters?

Let's take Agents of Shield for example. Now due to the popularity of that show, it wouldn't be that shocking if characters from that show cameo'd in a movie down the line, especially since they are connected.

It wouldn't be terribly likely, no, but even if that were the case, it would at least make sense because AoS is an MCU production. The animated iterations don't even have that going for them.

Black Panther and Ms. Marvel were popular characters from a pretty popular show. The movies have used characters from said shows, so to theorize that a character could appear in a movie down the line due to them being popular on a show, isn't as impossible as you make it out to be.

You're still not getting it. It has nothing to do with their appearance on an animated show. NOTHING. Literally, no thing. You either don't understand or are willfully ignoring at this point the fact that the shows don't factor in. They appeared in those shows because they made those same appearances in the original comics and it is those comics that are themselves in turn the source material. The shows don't play a role in the adaptation from comics to film. No role. They aren't part of the transition. I do not at all understand how this can still be an issue here.

Last edited:

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
That's a long paragraph that didn't really touch on the subject I was getting at.

Rumors are rumors. Several years have passed, we got Chris Evans to play Cap, okay. But I was also indirectly sharing my opinion about the complains I've been seeing about Johnny Storm being a black guy in the FF reboot. (No one really commented, but I just want to share my opinion on the matter. Because hey, why not. I've got nothing better to do.) I personally don't think it matters if Johnny was white or black. It doesn't change his character either way. I don't find it a big deal like others were making it seem to be.

I think people don't like the idea because Johnny's sister will still be white, so it doesn't make that much sense (unless they make one of the parents black). I don't care TBH, because I'm not even going to see the film, I'm not that into The Fantastic Four. I haven't even seen the first one because of how bad it was supposed to be.

With the Will Smith mention, I don't think that would have worked. In WW2, America actually used black soldiers for cooking and cleaning, that's it. I know this because there's a real story where in the attack of Pearl Harbor, Doris Miller was a cook and decided to man the turret gun, with no experience, and took out a couple of planes. Thanks for that Year 10 History. So to think that America as a nation could follow this Captain America, it would be a bit too unrealistic. Also, I am not being racist, I am just presenting facts, I for one think it was wrong what they did.

And for what I said earlier about Will Smith being a bad choice for Black Panther, I actually think he's a great actor, I love his movies. I just think he wouldn't fill the role of an African King with superpowers properly IMO.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
I think people don't like the idea because Johnny's sister will still be white, so it doesn't make that much sense (unless they make one of the parents black). I don't care TBH, because I'm not even going to see the film, I'm not that into The Fantastic Four. I haven't even seen the first one because of how bad it was supposed to be.

With the Will Smith mention, I don't think that would have worked. In WW2, America actually used black soldiers for cooking and cleaning, that's it. I know this because there's a real story where in the attack of Pearl Harbor, Doris Miller was a cook and decided to man the turret gun, with no experience, and took out a couple of planes. Thanks for that Year 10 History. So to think that America as a nation could follow this Captain America, it would be a bit too unrealistic. Also, I am not being racist, I am just presenting facts, I for one think it was wrong what they did.

And for what I said earlier about Will Smith being a bad choice for Black Panther, I actually think he's a great actor, I love his movies. I just think he wouldn't fill the role of an African King with superpowers properly IMO.

When did the US finally allow intermarriage between whites and blacks? It's not too hard to believe that one parent is black, and the other white. I'm not really into Marvel's First Family either, but if it's a good movie in its own right, I'd still like to watch it.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Captain America was created as a tool for propagonda. A vision that would attract men to help enlist in the war, and boost morale and patriotism. An image of a Star-Spangled white superhero dressed in the American Flag socking the jaw right off of Hitler did just that. Perfect physique and nice looking didn't hurt either. Racism was still rampant around the 1940s, so I don't think having a black icon would have been a smart choice to lead a country.

Will Smith did Hancock in 2007 (or 08?), and that was, I thought, a great superhero movie. Him as Black Panther? Great! I can see him in the role. How many serious roles has he done before, and how good were they? That's the only thing that's keeping him from a "PERFECT" casting choice in my eyes. T'Challa's not really the happy-go-lucky guy Will Smith is. Can he play the role of a serious king?

Oh man. Just found out Edgar Wright is no longer the director for the Ant-Man movie due to conflicts with Marvel Studios (differing visions?) A new director is going to be announced soon, but still sucks to hear.

Last edited:

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
When did the US finally allow intermarriage between whites and blacks? It's not too hard to believe that one parent is black, and the other white. I'm not really into Marvel's First Family either, but if it's a good movie in its own right, I'd still like to watch it.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Captain America was created as a tool for propagonda. A vision that would attract men to help enlist in the war, and boost morale and patriotism. An image of a white guy socking the jaw right off of Hitler did just that. Perfect physique and nice looking didn't hurt either. Racism was still rampant around the 1940s, so I don't think having a black icon would have been a smart choice to lead a country.

Will Smith did Hancock in 2007 (or 08?), and that was, I thought, a great superhero movie. Him as Black Panther? Great! I can see him in the role. How many serious roles has he done before, and how good were they? That's the only thing that's keeping him from a "PERFECT" casting choice in my eyes. T'Challa's not really the happy-go-lucky guy Will Smith is. Can he play the role of a serious king?

Yeah, that's what I was getting at with T'Challa. Johnny and Sue's parents can be interracial, they don't even have to be mentioned.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Yeah, that's what I was getting at with T'Challa. Johnny and Sue's parents can be interracial, they don't even have to be mentioned.

If the Fox X-Men movies were part of Marvel, he'd be married to Halle Berry! Two actors who've been in god awful movies ruling as King and Queen of Wakanda.

Their most severe form of punishment and torture would be a back-to-back feature of Catwoman and After Earth.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Duuuuuuuuuuuude. GotG looks amazing. I've never been this excited since the Avengers!

It sucks they ain't gonna be in AoU. I guess the Avengers aren't ready for outer space. XD

Btw I'm a MCU fan since Iron Man. I've never really like Thor for strange reasons(which is why I haven't seen TDW). Maybe I'm too lazy to see it.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
Duuuuuuuuuuuude. GotG looks amazing. I've never been this excited since the Avengers!

It sucks they ain't gonna be in AoU. I guess the Avengers aren't ready for outer space. XD

Btw I'm a MCU fan since Iron Man. I've never really like Thor for strange reasons(which is why I haven't seen TDW). Maybe I'm too lazy to see it.

You've got the exact same thoughts as me mate. But, Dark World is better than the first IMO, so you should see it as it relates to the Infinity storyline. And GotG aren't actually Avengers anyway, at least I don't think so, but the film will also benefit the Thanos and Infinity storyline to a great effect.

I also can't wait for AoU, I really want to see how Jarvis turns into the Vision. Probably from an Ultron virus that infects one of Tony's suits.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
You've got the exact same thoughts as me mate. But, Dark World is better than the first IMO, so you should see it as it relates to the Infinity storyline. And GotG aren't actually Avengers anyway, at least I don't think so, but the film will also benefit the Thanos and Infinity storyline to a great effect.

I also can't wait for AoU, I really want to see how Jarvis turns into the Vision. Probably from an Ultron virus that infects one of Tony's suits.
The first Thor was decent. But I heard it's sequel was better(also your opinion was good). So I should take a look at it. Looks like I need to buy some movies :D

Dang I wish its May 2015 already. The wait is killing me.

randomspot555

How exactly does using a character because they appeared on a show=inspiration from said show.

All I said was that maybe Black Panther and Ms. Marvel could get their own movies sometime down the line due to them being popular characters who just so happened to be popular enough to be main characters on the show. Did I say they were gonna take this exact character, plot points, story lines, no. All I said was that they could appear based on the fact that a lot of the main characters on said shows have had roles in the movies.

You seem to be under the impression that EMH is somehow going to make a character more movie-worthy when, in fact, the animated division has nothing to do with the MCU and in fact, if anything, the animation division changes on the whims of the movies, not the other way around.

I don't really know where you're getting that EMH was some popular show and that Ms. Marvel and Black Panther were popular characters. The fact is EMH was canceled. One part because of its poor to average ratings (and there's reasons for that that I won't go into here) and the other is because, in fact, they wanted a more movie-like show. Hence EMH was out and Avengers Assemble was in. And as a fan of EMH's first 1.5 seasons, it sucks, but AA seems to have better ratings.

In reality, Black Panther and T'Challa are a woman and a minority, and Hollywood is always nervous about making those types of films. In the comics world, both have struggled to maintain solo series and so that often means they are featured in teams rather than on their own. Could a movie change that? Sure. I'd say they're movie candidates regardless, especially since vibranium and Wakanda have already been mentioned.

But their appearance in EMH or any other show is not going to impact whatever their role, if they have a role, in the MCU.

So you believe that since Black Panther and Captain Marvel are popular heroes, in both comics and shows, that they have a high chance of having movies? That seems like an appropriate opinion, it makes sense. Then at least the MCU is definitely going to get ratings and money from said movies.

PS. Black Panther all the way.

Neither are really popular in the comics. Ms. Marvel, now Capt Marvel in the comics, has a series that, were it any other series, would've been canned several issues ago. But Kelly Sue Deconnick is a super cool person, and she is a woman writing a female super hero. The image and perception is worth more to Marvel than the lackluster sales so she's gonna keep on going.

But their struggles with sales aren't really a new problem so that's why you always see Black Panther and Carol Danvers as part of teams.

All I said was that if a character was popular on the show, it makes sense to capitalize on that characters success and adjust said character to the big screen. That's it.

As much you don't want to admit it, a character from a show being pretty popular can influence movie writers to add that character into the movies or make movies based on that show. Not saying that is happening here, just that it can.

But you're also ignoring that the shows not only change, but sometimes get canceled and replaced, based on the films. All indications are that the animated shows are at the whims of the films, not the other way around.

Let's take Agents of Shield for example. Now due to the popularity of that show, it wouldn't be that shocking if characters from that show cameo'd in a movie down the line, especially since they are connected.

That makes sense if you don't think about it too hard. But in reality, it is a very difficult pill to swallow. While yes, AOS and MCU exist in the same universe, an ongoing television series is a different ball park than film. A movie can take several months to shoot and that is an ongoing work of process. A television series running Fall-Spring is pretty much filming at some point or another year around with a small break here and there and a larger break in the summer. The schedules usually just don't work out. TV also typically has less of a budget, and that may result in some bad visuals in mid-season episodes so everything can go all-out for the finales.

Like the MCU, AOS is full of mostly relatively fresh faces to TV acting. It is highly unlikely any of them would make the jump back to film, though we'll likely continue to see some of the B and C list actors from the MCU (many of whom have TV backgrounds) from time to time, such as Maria Hill.

I'm more concerned about the new FF film sucking more than anything else.

Will Smith could easily have played Cap but obviously the story they were looking for probably wouldn't be fit with an African American unless they heavily modified it to fit Isaih Bradley. He'd be a great fit for many MCU characters thath aven't appeared yet, but again, he's an experienced actor and I don't think he'd appreciate being low balled by Marvel execs.

Chaos Rush

The first Thor was decent. But I heard it's sequel was better(also your opinion was good). So I should take a look at it. Looks like I need to buy some movies :D

Dang I wish its May 2015 already. The wait is killing me.
I didn't like the first Thor that much either. I particularly found the Asgard scenes way too boring.

However, I was greatly impressed by Thor: The Dark World. I don't know why it got mixed reviews, I thought it was freaking awesome. Asgard was handled a lot better (and depicted a little differently so that it uses more real sets and less CGI, and overall just feels a lot more convincing), and unlike Thor there was never a boring part. The tone of the film was a bit darker too (as with the rest of MCU's Phase Two films in comparison to their Phase One counterparts), which definitely helped change how the non-Earth locations felt. Personally, I felt that in the first film, Asgard just felt too much like a fantasy world, not to mention we didn't see much of it besides interiors. The Asgard seen in T: DW is a lot more realistic, with shrubbery, oceans, and mountains all visible (a particular scene involving an escape sequence showcases this the most).

Also the mid-credits scene sets up Guardians of the Galaxy (and possibly Avengers 2, due to the recent revelation that Thanos will have some role in it despite the "Age of Ultron" title), which I would assume what's shown in that scene could affect one's interpretation of GoG, since it reveals that
The Aether, which was the main plot device of Thor: The Dark World ends up in the hands of this creepy-looking guy (internet tells me he is 'The Collector'). The Aether and the Tesseract are revealed to be two of the six Infinity Stones, and this guy plans on collecting all of them. He's seen in the trailers for Guardians of the Galaxy, so I expect that T: DW's credits scene could end up being an important piece of information.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
Channing Tatum was cast as Gambit?? Can he even do a Cajun accent? Arrrrgh! I really want to see Gambit again on the big screen, and Kitsch was decent in Origins, even though his accent was really horrible at times.

Do we have any details on Xmen Apocalypse yet, other than it's going to feature Apocalypse as the big baddie? Is it going to feature the young Xavier X-Men, or old Xavier X-Men? If it's young, then Warren hasn't joined the X-Men yet, thus no Archangel. Banshee's dead too. Wonder who he'll pick as his 4 Horsemen?

BCVM22

We have a title, a release date and director/writers. It will be set in the 80s, starring the First Class-era cast with "some members of the original cast" mixed in. That's everything we know.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
So did you guys here that Mark Ruffalo has been teasing a stand alone Hulk movie?? Personally I would love this since I really haven't watched a Hulk movie before.

Oh and
There's been some apparent leaks that say Black Widow and Banner have a little fling going on in the movie.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
So did you guys here that Mark Ruffalo has been teasing a stand alone Hulk movie?? Personally I would love this since I really haven't watched a Hulk movie before.

Oh and
There's been some apparent leaks that say Black Widow and Banner have a little fling going on in the movie.

*Giggles with delight* YES! A second Hulk movie has to come out! I really want to see Samuel Sterns become the Leader, it was teased so obviously in the first movie. Hulk is probably one of my favourite characters, and if they get the emotional stuff and the action blended together properly then it will be as good, maybe even better, than the first.

What would Hawkeye think of such an event? Anyway, unless he had some chill-pills, Banner can't have 'you-know-what' because he gets too excited.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
*Giggles with delight* YES! A second Hulk movie has to come out! I really want to see Samuel Sterns become the Leader, it was teased so obviously in the first movie. Hulk is probably one of my favourite characters, and if they get the emotional stuff and the action blended together properly then it will be as good, maybe even better, than the first.

What would Hawkeye think of such an event? Anyway, unless he had some chill-pills, Banner can't have 'you-know-what' because he gets too excited.

Don't get too excited lol. It hasn't been confirmed or anything and it most likely won't be for a few years. Who's the leader??

Ya, that was one of the other leaks, Banner is scared to sleep with her since he might go green. Keep in mind this could all be fake though lol.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
Don't get too excited lol. It hasn't been confirmed or anything and it most likely won't be for a few years. Who's the leader??

Ya, that was one of the other leaks, Banner is scared to sleep with her since he might go green. Keep in mind this could all be fake though lol.

The Leader, one of Hulks biggest super villains, was once Samuel Sterns (known shortly as Mr Blue in the first one) who, after having some of Banner's gamma radiated blood seep into a head wound, became extremely intelligent with a mutated head and green skin. Here's a video that has Incredible Hulk easter eggs, the Leader reference is shown at around 2:16 to 2:25.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unpdgmScJYs

randomspot555

There's not anything known beyond Phase 3's two announced projects of Ant-Man and Cap 3. They've said in the past they wanna do 2 movies a year and MAYBE kick it up to 3 if they have enough to work with but MCU is all about playing it super safe so I doubt 3 a year will happen any time soon.

With Cap 3 slated for May 2016 that means there's one other film that could be released at the time.

But Hulk doesn't have the best track record for guaranteed block buster success so MCU will be more hesitant about it.

I also suspect how well Guardians does will impact how MCU will perceive future galactic projects, and how well Ant-Man does will impact the more C-list characters and light hearted projects.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
There's not anything known beyond Phase 3's two announced projects of Ant-Man and Cap 3. They've said in the past they wanna do 2 movies a year and MAYBE kick it up to 3 if they have enough to work with but MCU is all about playing it super safe so I doubt 3 a year will happen any time soon.

With Cap 3 slated for May 2016 that means there's one other film that could be released at the time.

But Hulk doesn't have the best track record for guaranteed block buster success so MCU will be more hesitant about it.

I also suspect how well Guardians does will impact how MCU will perceive future galactic projects, and how well Ant-Man does will impact the more C-list characters and light hearted projects.

Are you insinuating that Ant-Man is a C-list character? Because he definitely is not. He is one of the founders of the Avengers, created Ultron and has been popular enough in the comics to have reincarnations. I'd say he's a B-list character at worst. A C-list character is someone more like Squirrel Girl or Nova.