• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel Universe Discussion Thread - **SPOILER WARNING** (movies, shows, etc.)

BCVM22

Does anyone know if it takes place in the past (the creation of S.H.I.E.L.D.) or modern day?

Given everything, the answer to this is sort of obvious, don't you think?

I heard Joss Whedon won't be directing Avengers 3, which is bad, imo. He seems to really know what he's doing.

This isn't confirmed yet, and when Age of Ultron makes another billion dollars for Marvel and Disney, I'm sure Joss Whedon will be made an offer to return that comes with a lot of zeroes tacked on the end, which can be very persuasive.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
I am looking forward to Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend. I really don't know much about them since I don't read too many comics. I can't believe they are already planning a GotG2! I imagine the movie will do very well though.

I'm also looking forward to The Defenders and the second season of S.H.I.E.L.D. (although I hope the 2nd season is way better). I will give the Agent Carter show a chance, but I just don't know if I will be interested in it. Does anyone know if it takes place in the past (the creation of S.H.I.E.L.D.) or modern day? I would assume the past, but it seems like it would basically be like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

And of course I am looking forward to Age of Ultron! I heard Joss Whedon won't be directing Avengers 3, which is bad, imo. He seems to really know what he's doing.

Agents of Shield will hopefully be better and darker considering they're now fugitives. Agent Carter is back after WW2, when she, along with others, discovers SHIELD. It will be an old school AoS. The Defenders is going to be awesome, most looking forward to Iron Fist and Daredevil.

GotG looks good as well.

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
Given everything, the answer to this is sort of obvious, don't you think?

This isn't confirmed yet, and when Age of Ultron makes another billion dollars for Marvel and Disney, I'm sure Joss Whedon will be made an offer to return that comes with a lot of zeroes tacked on the end, which can be very persuasive.

I hadn't looked up anything about it so I didn't know. I stated I "assume the past". Plus it's based on a comic book so time traveling is definitely possible....

No it isn't confirmed and I'm sure you are right. He is probably just wanting a pay raise.

Agents of Shield will hopefully be better and darker considering they're now fugitives. Agent Carter is back after WW2, when she, along with others, discovers SHIELD. It will be an old school AoS. The Defenders is going to be awesome, most looking forward to Iron Fist and Daredevil.

GotG looks good as well.

I'm hoping it will be better too. The first few episodes of the first season were just okay, imo.

That's what I thought. Thanks for answering. I'm just not sure it's going to be all that great, but it might end up being better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. lol. I'm going to give it a try.

The Defenders does look awesome. I am really looking forward to it the most too. I want to see all four of the characters, but I'm most looking forward to Iron Fist.

torterra_4_the_win

Ya want some?
I'm hoping it will be better too. The first few episodes of the first season were just okay, imo.

That's what I thought. Thanks for answering. I'm just not sure it's going to be all that great, but it might end up being better than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. lol. I'm going to give it a try.

The Defenders does look awesome. I am really looking forward to it the most too. I want to see all four of the characters, but I'm most looking forward to Iron Fist.

I think AoS started off alright, but then at the middle of the series it dropped off. But then at the end, it got really good and suspenseful. The little scene with Coulson blasting Garrett after he declared himself "unstoppable" or "invincible" was priceless.

I can't see what could be so good about Agent Carter that they would want to make a show. Maybe it's a way of introducing characters and showing the development of Hydra?

I want the mini-series to be dark, but still tiny bits of humour. Like Arrow, man that show is good (sorry to the DC haters)

TheEliteEmpoleon

I'm so pumped for Guardians! I'm going to see it on Saturday, which will be the closest to release date that I'm seeing one of the MCU movies. Anyone going on release date?

Chaos Rush

Guardians of the Galaxy was freaking amazing. It's definitely one of Marvel Studio's best. I'm still kind of speechless from it, but that was, hands down, the most epic and satisfying climax of all the MCU films to date.

JD

I saw the Imax 3D advance screening yesterday and got this nice poster.
iKN6xmsl.jpg

TheEliteEmpoleon

I saw the Imax 3D advance screening yesterday and got this nice poster.
iKN6xmsl.jpg

Wow that poster looks awesome! I'll have to look for it online. Anyway, I'm seeing it later today, so I absolutly cannot wait!

RogueLapras

Water Gym Leader
I saw GotG today and I really enjoyed it. It has plenty of action and quite a few funny parts. I loved all of the music. I didn't know much about the GotG going in, but I like all five of the characters now that I've seen the movie. I also enjoyed seeing the Easter eggs and the cosmic side-characters. I'm looking forward to watching the sequel.

The after-credits scene was just... ok. I'm not too fond of the character they show. I hope that character doesn't get a stand alone movie. If anything, it'll be ok to see that character in the GotG sequel. That's all I'll say for now. I don't want to spoil it for anyone :)

Last edited:

X Drake

I Am Groot
This has to be my second favorite Marvel Movie yet(first being Winter Soldier).The humor was good,and the soundtrack was amazing.Can't wait for the sequel.Have to say 2014 has been Marvel Studios best year with two awesome films.Now I hope Age Of Ultron manages to top this,and based on the audio footage I heard on Youtube(the audio from the footage they played at Comic Con) the movie is going to be awesome.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Wow that was an amazing movie! All the characters were awesome, and they each had their moments. Rocket and Groot were especially funny. Ronan was okay as a villain. I would've liked to see a little more of what he could do with the infinity stone. Great soundtrack as well! I can't wait to see how they come together with everything else that we've seen so far, and the sequel in a few years! The only bad thing about this movie is the wait until Age of Ultron! Also: dat post-credits seen. Even thou he's not getting his own movie, he's going to be an interesting member of the MCU.

randomspot555

There is a 0% chance that the guy in the post credits scene will ever be in his own movie. Maybe a bit higher of making a similar cameo. I loved it but it was blatant fan service.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
This movie was amazing!!!! Seriously it was really epic and seriously funny as hell. The scene with little Groot dancing was also probably the cutest thing I've ever seen in my life xD.

I can't wait for the next movie as I want to know more about Star Lord's father. I also can't wait to see more of Peter and Gamora together, seriously they are too adorable <3!!!!

I decided to join the bandwagon and go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy' this past Saturday. As someone who never read the Marvel comics in my childhood, I was pleasantly surprised- it's quite possibly one of the best movies I've seen all year. I honestly need to find the comics somewhere; try to associate more into the fandom.

randomspot555

I decided to join the bandwagon and go see 'Guardians of the Galaxy' this past Saturday. As someone who never read the Marvel comics in my childhood, I was pleasantly surprised- it's quite possibly one of the best movies I've seen all year. I honestly need to find the comics somewhere; try to associate more into the fandom.

I wouldn't recommend the current Guardians. The writer, Brian Michael Bendis, is completely phoning it in on all of his Marvel work. The team has some similarities in membership but there's several members who aren't in the movie and never will be due to movie rights. I'd also say the Chris Patt version of Quill and most comic versions are quite a bit different.

My understanding is that the team most like in the movies is from the 2008 Guardians series, which is part of a multi year galactic Marvel event called Annihlation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_(comics)

But if you just want some flat out fun comics to read, that aren't reliant on heavy continuity, there's several being published by Marvel. The current Ms. Marvel series is only 6 or so issues in and is absolutely awesome, featuring a young (I think she's 15) Muslim-American woman who finds herself empowered with strange, shape shifting powers. When she first gets powers, she sees Carol Danvers, the current Captain Marvel, and her powers kind of design her costume to look like her.

The current Nova series, which is only 20 or so issues in, is about a 10 year old boy named Sam who lost his father under mysterious circumstances and finds himself empowered by the Nova force. Several of the themes of Quill in GOTG are hit upon in the current Nova series. It has changed writers a few times but they're all really good, at least in this book. It is the best galactic/space book Marvel is publishing.

Hawkeye, by Matt Fraction and David Aaja, is just fun. It is a good read. Go buy it.

Mrmuffin123

First Male Swiftie
Saw GOTG today and omg and I impressed. Slightly disapointed that the end credits scene didn't give any hints on the story to come, but Groot dancing (someone make a gif of it ASAP!) And Howard the Duck made up for it! My favourite line? "Look at us, a bunch of jackasses standing in a circle". And when Groot impaled all of those guys..... :D :D :D :D

I wouldn't recommend the current Guardians. The writer, Brian Michael Bendis, is completely phoning it in on all of his Marvel work. The team has some similarities in membership but there's several members who aren't in the movie and never will be due to movie rights. I'd also say the Chris Patt version of Quill and most comic versions are quite a bit different.

My understanding is that the team most like in the movies is from the 2008 Guardians series, which is part of a multi year galactic Marvel event called Annihlation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annihilation_(comics)

But if you just want some flat out fun comics to read, that aren't reliant on heavy continuity, there's several being published by Marvel. The current Ms. Marvel series is only 6 or so issues in and is absolutely awesome, featuring a young (I think she's 15) Muslim-American woman who finds herself empowered with strange, shape shifting powers. When she first gets powers, she sees Carol Danvers, the current Captain Marvel, and her powers kind of design her costume to look like her.

The current Nova series, which is only 20 or so issues in, is about a 10 year old boy named Sam who lost his father under mysterious circumstances and finds himself empowered by the Nova force. Several of the themes of Quill in GOTG are hit upon in the current Nova series. It has changed writers a few times but they're all really good, at least in this book. It is the best galactic/space book Marvel is publishing.

Hawkeye, by Matt Fraction and David Aaja, is just fun. It is a good read. Go buy it.

All right. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into tracking them down.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
Hey guys, with a suggestion from a member, I decided to make this the go-to thread for all Marvel discussion. :)

First and foremost, i'm not a comic book person. Thought i'd establish that, just for the sake of doing it. Typically, i'm more of a DC fan in terms of Superheroes, but i did enjoy Guardians of the Galaxy. Honestly thought that Marvel did a better job on the movie than the Avengers. Of course, it's a perception based argument. I personally liked the comical aspect of the movie, the unconventional heroes that were in it, and how the movie was successful given the cast of lesser-known superheroes (not to say the Guardians of the Galaxy aren't obscure (though i'm not sure personally) but they don't strike me as having the notoriety of the heroes that comprise the avengers)) that were in the movie. Good movie though. I give it a 8.5/10. Not the greatest superhero movie i've seen, but it was definitely great.

phanpycross

God-king

As a guy who read the 2008 series, I can quite safely recommend it, It is just a superb run, if a bit heavy on contuinuity.

If I can talk comics a short comment, a quick glimpse on wikipeadia is really all you need, and most of the bigger books do make "catching-up" issues, like the ".1" issues.

If all else fails, just ask :)