• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel Universe Discussion Thread - **SPOILER WARNING** (movies, shows, etc.)

phanpycross

God-king
Replacing heroes for the sake of it is controversial no matter how you look at it (you also listed a controversial change with the Flash one, so...), because you're replacing somebody. You are not honoring anything. You are replacing the person.

Marvel and DC both have a longstanding problem with replacing characters or changing them entirely either for shock value or to appease SJWs. Falcon as Cap is one example. Miles as Spider-Man is another. The abomination called "Thorina" and its subsequently stupid story is another. Iceman being a "closeted" homosexual despite the fact that only one or two men in the Marvel universe have probably had as many girlfriend's as him is another.
DC fans: Look up "pink kryptonite". It's not a joke, sadly...

PSA: "Assuming the mantle" is a convoluted way of saying "replacing". Pretending to be someone you are not is not honoring a person.
But they arent tryng to appease SJWs since basically none of hem read comics, they are doing it so the hero can have a triumphant return in time for their movies. it happening to be Caps longest standing sidekick makes complete sense, but no, lets blame it on SJWs.

Miles as spider-man could easily have been color-swapped as well, since literally none of his stories has anything to do with race(same goes for the female thor).

I also wonder if you actually know anything about the iceman story, given it's the younger version of iceman, who hasnt had all these girlfriends yet, and might just be in a phase for all we know.

Janovy

Banned
God forbid Marvel has some variety in their characters, you don't have to be a SJW to want this sort of representation.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Except it isn't. Please tell me what the "differences" are, because there are none.

It's also asinine. Falcon is a normal human. Why is HE "Captain America" instead of another super soldier, like... I don't know, Bucky? SJW. That's why.

Thor is a nameless amnesiac oaf now wandering the planet with no purpose. Yes, he has been erased.
Okay...? You just described Miles as the replacement for Peter.

Replacing heroes for the sake of it is controversial no matter how you look at it (you also listed a controversial change with the Flash one, so...), because you're replacing somebody. You are not honoring anything. You are replacing the person.

Marvel and DC both have a longstanding problem with replacing characters or changing them entirely either for shock value or to appease SJWs. Falcon as Cap is one example. Miles as Spider-Man is another. The abomination called "Thorina" and its subsequently stupid story is another. Iceman being a "closeted" homosexual despite the fact that only one or two men in the Marvel universe have probably had as many girlfriend's as him is another.
DC fans: Look up "pink kryptonite". It's not a joke, sadly...

PSA: "Assuming the mantle" is a convoluted way of saying "replacing". Pretending to be someone you are not is not honoring a person.

Really?? So there is no difference between making Steve Rogers black and having another completely separate character honor him who just happens to be black??

Bucky was Captain America after Steve was killed(or put into a fixed time loop) and even after Steve was revived and retired after giving Bucky his full blessing to be Cap. Falcon only took over the role after Fury was killed and Bucky took Fury's place.

Lol what?? Thor doesn't have amnesia he just loses the ability to use the hammer and after confronting female Thor, he sees she is worthy and gives her his blessing as well. Thor is now trying to find out who this new Thor is.

Hell even Miles got Peter's blessing to be the new Spider-Man. Not to mention that Miles is COMPLETELY different character wise to Peter.

Grey Wind

"They did it to appease SJW" is such a stupid sentence. They did it to diversify their cast and represent their fans who aren't straight/white, not to "appease" an undefined group of people who don't exist.

Sid87

I love shiny pokemon
The problem is not "OMG THEY MADE [x character] BLACK!" There is nothing wrong with that, and replacement/legacy heroes is a story that dates back to the Silver Age. Sometimes it works, and the replacement character is a success who creates his/her own legacy.... sometimes it is a short, cheap pop or a huge failure.

The PROBLEM is that Marvel and DC have so little faith that minority characters can get over on their own that they feel the only way they can is if they put them in the guise of established, successful heroes. It's basically saying that black people or gays or Muslims or what-have-you are so unappealing that they have to be spoon-fed to the public in the sugar-coating of something the public already knows they like. Why not just create new minority characters and push them prominently in big titles? Though that hasn't always worked--see Northstar, Rage, Triathalon, Silverclaw--it's still better than just co-opting a larger character and saying "There. Now this minority is palatable".

BCVM22

The problem isn't "though that hasn't always worked," it's that it doesn't work far more often than it does. It's simply too easy for characters like the ones you mentioned to end up shunted off to the background or even gone completely. Rage, Triathlon, Silverclaw, all essentially demoted to appearances in crowd scenes as soon as Hama/Busiek were done with their respective runs on The Avengers. Northstar is more fortunate in belonging to the mutant corner of the Marvel Universe, where there are, you know, only ten or so books monthly in which he can potentially appear.

One could argue that the perfect compromise is a character like the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle, the Simon Baz Green Lantern or the Kamala Khan Ms. Marvel - new, minority characters whose chosen mantles tie them into a larger legacy that ensures that if they aren't kept in the forefront, they're at least innately tied to characters who are.

Last edited:

phanpycross

God-king
Well, RIP Marvel universe 1961-2015.

Hopefully you will be back soon, with a lot less one more day, and avengers #200.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The issue was horrible. Only good part was Punisher coming to get the bad guys

Skiks

MUCH RESPECT
The issue was horrible. Only good part was Punisher coming to get the bad guys
Well actually it was pretty good if you read the lead up to it. Which was a long road to getting there. You had to read all the issues Hickman wrote beforehand for the avengers and some of his Ultimate runs. As a first issue for an event standalone, yes I can see it's pretty weak if you weren't following the build up. I hope Ultimate Reed gets a big role in Secret Wars. He's my favorite villain from the Ultimate line.

Last edited:

Chaos Rush

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24586...oduction_on_marvels_captain_america_civil_war

So Captain America: Civil War has begun filming and Marvel has released the official cast listing:

• Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
  • Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
  • Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
  • Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon
  • Paul Bettany as The Vision
  • Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye
  • Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes/War Machine
  • Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
  • Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man
  • Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther
  • Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13
  • Daniel Brühl
  • Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow/Crossbones
  • William Hurt as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
  • Martin Freeman

So, all of the
New Avengers seen at the end of Age of Ultron
are in, and also surprised to see Ant-Man is in, and General Ross who hasn't made an MCU appearance since 2008's The Incredible Hulk, still played by William Hurt. That is one big cast.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
http://marvel.com/news/movies/24586...oduction_on_marvels_captain_america_civil_war

So Captain America: Civil War has begun filming and Marvel has released the official cast listing:

• Chris Evans as Steve Rogers/Captain America
  • Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man
  • Scarlett Johansson as Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow
  • Sebastian Stan as Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier
  • Anthony Mackie as Sam Wilson/Falcon
  • Paul Bettany as The Vision
  • Jeremy Renner as Clint Barton/Hawkeye
  • Don Cheadle as Jim Rhodes/War Machine
  • Elizabeth Olsen as Wanda Maximoff/Scarlet Witch
  • Paul Rudd as Scott Lang/Ant-Man
  • Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther
  • Emily VanCamp as Sharon Carter/Agent 13
  • Daniel Brühl
  • Frank Grillo as Brock Rumlow/Crossbones
  • William Hurt as General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross
  • Martin Freeman

So, all of the
New Avengers seen at the end of Age of Ultron
are in, and also surprised to see Ant-Man is in, and General Ross who hasn't made an MCU appearance since 2008's The Incredible Hulk, still played by William Hurt. That is one big cast.

Incredibly surprised by Martin Freeman. Oh well, lets see what he'll do! :D

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Guys, awesome news!! Agents of Shield and Agent Carter have officially been renewed <3!!!!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Guys, awesome news!! Agents of Shield and Agent Carter have officially been renewed <3!!!!

I'm excited for Agents of SHIELD season 3. I'm going to skip on Carter again, I just don't like her actress.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I'm excited for Agents of SHIELD season 3. I'm going to skip on Carter again, I just don't like her actress.

Aww, but why?? Hailey is amazing as Peggy :(...did you at least watch the first episode?? It's really good.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Hurray! I finally got to see the new Avengers movie with Ultron. I enjoyed it. It was fun. I'll admit I enjoyed the first Avengers and the Winter Soldier better as Marvel movies, but this one was good too. Lots of action scenes. I tried to avoid watching any trailers for this movie because I didn't want to be spoiled. Glad I did, because I had a geek moment seeing Iron Man get in the Hulk Buster suit to detain Hulk. And bringing in Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch was cool. I know in the comics they are no longer Magneto's children...for now, but I'll always see them as that. So good movie. Marvel hasn't disappointed me yet. I'm excited for Antman this year too. After seeing the trailer for it, it looks enjoyable.

phanpycross

God-king
So the new Thor's identity was leaked today...

Yes, they did actually go for the obvious choice by putting Jane Foster in the suit, but Im not complaining, as I have honestly bee enjoying the book a ton, even if the OG Thor left.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I am freaking awestruck right now. This two part finale for Agents Of Shield was probably two of the best hours of TV I've watched in a long time. Seriously I don't think there is anything that happened that I didn't like.

I'm worried about Gemma but other then that, I'm so excited for next season.

Especially for Shield new super hero team. I definitely see Lincoln joining Skye and I could see Deathlok being brought back to join. Other then that, I guess we should expect some new characters soon enough.

Also anyone really happy that Raina is dead?? Seriously she was so annoying to me.