• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Marvel vs DC

Well?

• Total voters

Estellise

peachy
I was peer pressured into making a thread...
I didn't see a topic like this, so I thought I'd make one...Basically, which comic book company do you like more. Personally, I like DC more than Marvel. (Mainly for Batman, but whatever...) Which do you like more?

Pesky Persian

Caffeine Queen
Marvel for me definitely. I think Batman is the only thing DC has going for them as far as I'm concerned. Marvel just has better comics/characters for me (and they publish the Dark Tower graphic novels which is huge bonus in my eyes).

Zazie

So 1991
DC. Because a vote for DC is a vote for all the other comic universes it swallowed up, such as the Captain Marvel Universe, Quality universe, Charlton universe, Wildstorm universe and Milestone universe.

What else has marvel got? The Ulktraverse, which they don't really do anything with.

On a less ridiculous note DC because they have pretty much all my favorite superheros like Batwoman, Blue Beetle, Static, Booster Gold, Star Girl. I really like their use of legacy characters as well.

Takeo

I like Marvel for their good writing
I prefer DC heros
I'm going with the one not on the table, IDW = Transformer.

BCVM22

DC. Because a vote for DC is a vote for all the other comic universes it swallowed up, such as the Captain Marvel Universe, Quality universe, Charlton universe, Wildstorm universe and Milestone universe.

What else has marvel got? The Ulktraverse, which they don't really do anything with.

That's kind of an odd way to look at it. DC and Marvel both have immense stables of characters - how/why does it change the characters any if they were originally the property of another publisher?

SneaselClaw

Marvel, I have nothing against DC, I just prefer Marvel's characters and storylines.
My biggest issue with DC though, is the amount of people who say they're the "better" comic series and then immediately list Batman as their only favourite character. Then, I have the same problem with people who say the same about Marvel, but only like Wolverine.

Zazie

So 1991
That's kind of an odd way to look at it. DC and Marvel both have immense stables of characters - how/why does it change the characters any if they were originally the property of another publisher?

It really is kind of odd honestly. There's just something amusing about having Captain Marvel and Superman in the same universe or having Blue Beetle II and Batman talk crime fighting methods and technology.* Part of it's a meta thing too, seeing Captain Marvel and Superman together teaming up is also interesting just because the two comics they were in were in competition with each other in the 40's. (intercompany crossovers certainly can happen too, but they seem to be a bit rarer than they used to be. Marvel and DC don't seem to want to crossover with each other anymore)

*this was done in Batman the Brave in the Bold specifically and I thought it was interesting.

Last edited:

Kamotz

God of Monsters
Marvel, 100%.

That's not to say I don't like some of the DC characters and storylines. I do. But I feel that they focus more on the storylines and the plots than the characters themselves. Don't get me wrong, that makes for a good comic, I guess. But I prefer Marvel's character-focus. Of course, certain big events like the Crises. AvX, Fear Itself will always be more about the story than the characters, but that's to be expected of "summer blockbuster" type comics.

But I usually find much more character-driven consistency with Marvel's comics. Some of it is still hit/miss, but I actually feel things for the Marvel characters. Can't say the same for DC's.

Marvel, 100%.

That's not to say I don't like some of the DC characters and storylines. I do. But I feel that they focus more on the storylines and the plots than the characters themselves. Don't get me wrong, that makes for a good comic, I guess. But I prefer Marvel's character-focus. Of course, certain big events like the Crises. AvX, Fear Itself will always be more about the story than the characters, but that's to be expected of "summer blockbuster" type comics.

I don't even know how you can say something like this when the entirety of Batman is character study. Like, no other mainstream comic focuses on character as heavily as Batman does. Marvel has not got anything that comes remotely close.

But whatever.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
DC will always be better
Then they rebooted most of the main series and screwed everything over.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
I honestly haven't cared to look into either of them :/

Black War Dragon

Dark Knight
I love Marvel. I wasn't a big fan of DC up until I purchased the new 52. I found out that I really liked Batman. I don't care for Superman but Batman, man, there's something epic about the dude. He's one mean bad ***.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
I read both but I prefer DC for having my favorite superheros vs Marvel where I only like Spider-man Iron man, and The Hulk out of all their characters. Superman and Wonder Woman hooking up also makes me very excited as to where DC is going with Justice League.

Plus the New 52 reboot has let me reconnect even better with comics as its a fresh start of the DC universe for the most part.

Kamotz

God of Monsters
I don't even know how you can say something like this when the entirety of Batman is character study. Like, no other mainstream comic focuses on character as heavily as Batman does. Marvel has not got anything that comes remotely close.

But whatever.

A single comic will not put me in DC's "camp". Especially not Batman. I'm just not very interested in the character. Night of Owls was a great mini-event. But I preferred the books that didn't focus on Batman. For every good issue of Batman, DC puts out a dozen or so "bleh-meh" issues like Wonder Woman, Green Lantern (all 3 series), and Justice League. All books that I skim, but don't invest myself in. I'd much rather spend my time with Journey into Mystery, Ultimate Comics (anything), Mighty Thor, Invincible Iron Man, Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four, and FF.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
More of a Marvel fan to be honest. Not that DC has a bad cast or anything, just I find Marvel delivers more variety.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Marvel because I have a ridiculous bias towards Steve Rogers.

Also I just generally know their comics better haha.