• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Master Class Choices! (912)

Gillachu

Banned
Has anyone else tried to figure out what Serena's supposedly missing in her performances, because at this point I don't see it. Her routine seems no different than every other performer up until this point, so I don't get how she's missing something that would make her as good as Aria

She's Mary Sue-ing her way through TriPokalons, so I don't get what she's lacking either...

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
She's Mary Sue-ing her way through TriPokalons, so I don't get what she's lacking either...

She's not a Mary Sue tho. If she was she would've swept each showcase easily, but she had a tough time in each one and even lost two of them. It was a close call here as well.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Unless you expect her to force her Pokemon to learn new moves after each Pokemon Showcase just to have a COMPLETELY different performance it's not a valid complaint.

Serena works with what she has....hence Fairy wind.

I just wanted to point out the fact that Braixen has yet to even use Hidden Power or Scratch in a performance, only Flamethrower and Fire Blast.

-

I found this episode underwhelming. The good parts were the post-showcase sections. I love how Ash put his hand on her shoulder and told her that they would be going to Gloria City.

I find it interesting how everything that Serena did prior to becoming a performer came back full circle. It made me recall to her conversation with Ash in the Summer Camp arc. Where he told her that he doesn't think anything is a waste of time and that everything will help him grow towards his goal. I do like that Rhyhorn Racing came back, Poképuff baking, the PokéVision, etc. However at the same time, it feels so forced that it has happened this way. Apparently Rhyhorn just happen to love Serena. :rolleyes: Her performances while have added moves here and there, still feel very samey. Maybe that's what Palermo saw as a flaw. She's uncomfortable to go out of her comfort zone?

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Has anyone else tried to figure out what Serena's supposedly missing in her performances, because at this point I don't see it. Her routine seems no different than every other performer up until this point, so I don't get how she's missing something that would make her as good as Aria

I heard from someone that Yashio was questioning Serena as to what she wanted to achieve from being on stage. Serena responded that she wanted to have fun with her Pokemon and Yashio said something like "that's it?". Her problem with Amelia was that while she may have had Serena's missing quality/qualities she acted like a knob, ie not Kalos Queen material. Serena's a good Queen personality wise but I believe the problem was that she was only in it for fun.

Of course, I can't personally confirm if this is what happened because I don't speak Japanese myself, just taking this person's word on it. Feel free to correct me if you do speak it (I know there's a couple here at least).

izmir

this episode has been declared a TRio free zone
Yep, I know that.That's why this episode is so great: no team rocket.

I hope we will get more episodes like these in the future.They don't have to appear every single episode.

XXD17

Draco rex
LOL that must be cheating. EVERY RHYHORN IS MALE??? And Amelia just uses Attract? That must be against the rules.

Worst theme performance of all Tripokalons IMO.

Did they say that all the rhyhorn were male? Amelia did have both dragonair and espeon use attract. One could easily be male while the other female so all the rhyhorn will be attracted.

I'm glad to see that sylveon has finally come out of its shell since its evolution. However, I was a little annoyed that no one acknowledged that the dragonair was shiny. Seeing dragon dance for the first time was cool though...Oh and that espeon's movepool was nice too. Rain dance, psychic, attract and hyper voice? that's actually pretty original for a 'mon that you'd expect to run a psychic move, shadow ball and maybe morning sun (in the anime at least).

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I hope they explain in Master Class why Jessie suddenly just skipped this one when she's been in every other one and recently got her key.

I love when Ash told Serena they'd go to Gloria City instead of Snowbelle though. It was cute. (But seriously, it's taking too long to get there)

And what a letdown for Amelia, I was excited for her and she barely interacted with Serena

Rampardo

How the hell can anyone find these showcases fun to watch? They are so damn tedious and uninteresting. I can understand they are entertaining to little girls but I assume most users here are not that.

Soniman

Break the Limit
How the hell can anyone find these showcases fun to watch? They are so damn tedious and uninteresting. I can understand they are entertaining to little girls but I assume most users here are not that.

lol thats kinda sexist.

but speaking for myself, I tolerate them because I like Serena, but I dont think anyone on these fourms love them. They either hate them or dont care about them at best

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
lol thats kinda sexist.

but speaking for myself, I tolerate them because I like Serena, but I dont think anyone on these fourms love them. They either hate them or dont care about them at best

Uh, I actually love them. :eek:

But I have to agree with what other users said: this Showcase was really lackluster. Honestly, the others had better choreography and visual appeal, as well as interesting characters. This... not so much. I'm waiting for the subs to explain a few things, but for now it didn't attract too much my attention.

I love the idea of showcases, but the writers didn't even try to make them as exciting and competitive as contests. They have all been rushed and boring imo.

Lunanight

I love the idea of showcases, but the writers didn't even try to make them as exciting and competitive as contests. They have all been rushed and boring imo.

THIS. Showcases are just inferior versions of contests when comparing both as a whole. Especially since Serena's performances are more repetitive and bland when compared to either May or Dawn's contest appeals, where they don't just use literally the same thing over and over again. Showcases are basically contests for the characters who aren't good enough to be coordinators. I say this because contests also show off the Pokemon and trainer, but unlike showcases, contests have actual battles as well (even if its based on points rather than purely KO'ing the opposing Pokemon).

Its objectively more skillful to be a coordinator than to compete in showcases, since you'd have to be at least a decent battler to do contests (to not have your Pokemon KO'd in the battle round) in addition to being able to put on a performance, whereas doing showcases doesn't require strong Pokemon or for the trainer to be a skilled/intelligent battler. Its just a beauty pagent with a different name (even down to the girls-only thing), at least contests test skill, power and beauty whereas showcases only value aesthetics. I think showcases would have been better had they debuted before contests, at least then they wouldn't look as bad when compared to contests.

In other words: Showcases are basically a watered-down contest appeals round and nothing more, whereas contests test everything that the Kalos showcases would along with requiring other stuff too. I never thought I'd even defend contests that way considering that I believe contests themselves are basically the competition for anyone who isn't good enough to win badges/win Frontier symbols/compete in the Pokemon League. It doesn't help that aside from Zoey, the only remotely decent battlers who were coordinators were the ones on a badge quest (Nando), also served as a gym leader or similar role (Fantina as gym leader) or only did contests after having earned a high-status as a battler (Wallace as Hoenn Champion). I don't see the likes of Harley, Ursula and Kenny would even be able to handle a badge-quest, let alone the League. Even Barry of all people would beat them in an actual battle when the only thing that matters is KO'ing the other Pokemon, and he was weak enough to lose 3-0 in the 3-on-3 rounds in a battle that didn't involve a Legendary Pokemon (nor did it involve losing to one of the Elite 4/Frontier Brain/regional Champion).

Last edited:

Supersonicbro

Yeah, looking at her performance, there is a point where yashio smiles but then it goes away when she finishes. So it looked like she was doing something right for a second.

I think it was the fact that she stood there and let her pokemon do the work. Because when she was dancing with them that's when she was fine but during the end she stood there and let braxien and sylveon do the ending.

Since she's going to be actually singing in the final i think this will win yashio over because serena is showing her talents as well without fully relying on her pokemon.

YourLieinEevee

This just aired dubbed.

Great episode, despite a lack of Jessilee. Amelia was enough diva for this episode with her shiny Dragonair. Solid performance by Serena.

Holy crap did Palermo go full Miranda Priestly in the dub. At the end of the episode she sounded very Meryl Streep. Loved it.

DatsRight

I can maybe see why they opted to keep Jessie out of this one, we need to maintain some sympathy on the main character over the comical underdog, so we have an episode Serena loses to Jessie and then one where she is the entire focus with Jessie and other main rivals absent altogether. I suppose it helps maintain Jessie has improved by not having her losing to Serena immediately afterwards anyway (though I would have preferred to actually see her other two victories).

Concerning the showcases against contests, I think they had potential, just they are rather underdeveloped. They are what the contests were in Hoenn, having a sometimes bland output, only a couple noteworthy rivals, and often times it looking like the main character is being handed victories. They have potential, the Appeal Rounds which work like a cartoony quiz show can be very versatile and unique (this was one of the better ones) and the Performance Round could revolve around more actual performing than just dancing around and showing off moves in a glittery way. If Alola reuses the showcases, I hope they develop on them the same way Sinnoh did the contests.

Since she's going to be actually singing in the final i think this will win yashio over because serena is showing her talents as well without fully relying on her pokemon.

Actually that's a concern. The dub hasn't used DreamDream even once throughout the series, what do you think they're going to paste on during the final?

Last edited:

Nyter

Island Challenger
I actually like showcases. We have to accept the fact that modern day Pokemon involves more than battling. There are Pokeathlons, Musicals, contests, and now showcases. And for what they are, they are fun. I do think Serena' s performances are sometimes repetitive but the dancing like it was a nightclub thing was so much fun to watch. She was dancing with them, doing her thing. I would have liked them to dance as a dance crew but it was cute enough.

I liked this episode.
4 out of 5 stars

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Did Serena use to bathe in Rhyhorn manure or what?

This showcase, despite how Serena constantly worried about Amelia, is perhaps the worst one of the lot. She had no rivals, she never talked to Amelia once or vice versa, things just moved too fast, and somehow you're allowed to bring your own food to a restaurant. Isn't that against the rules set by the health department?