• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Master Class is in Session! (915)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I like how Valerie doesn't give a damn about seeing Serena participate but instead we get to see how girly Korrina can be and has no real relation to Serena. Had Ramos owned a Lucario instead...

Meh. Let's see how futile Serena's goal is.

Gojira97

I can't believe im going to say this but i actually loved an episode featuring the pokemon showcase, they should have used this format for all of them since it was much better. Even though i was rooting for Jessie i couldn't help but shed a tear for Nene when she loss, she is such a mistreated character.

I'm sorry but I HATE Nene.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
I wonder what BGM we'll hear next episode in place of DoriDori... strangely I liked that disco music during the Serena vs Miette vs whatever they called her round. Still felt a little odd though.

Wait so is Cal's dub name Conchita? wut. Also shout outs to Scraggy being the Who's That Pokemon.

I still don't agree with Jessie's Shadow Ball spam but it's whatever.

DatsRight

I wonder what BGM we'll hear next episode in place of DoriDori... strangely I liked that disco music during the Serena vs Miette vs whatever they called her round. Still felt a little odd though.

Wait so is Cal's dub name Conchita? wut. Also shout outs to Scraggy being the Who's That Pokemon.

I still don't agree with Jessie's Shadow Ball spam but it's whatever.

At best they'll likely just make their own song, It's a shame since Haven Paschall can sing though, she did Join the Band (though that itself was a cheap replacement of Roaring All Stars).

I do kind of have hopes they'll keep the Rocket-dan Danka instrumental for Jessie's performance though, they DID actually use that in a few dub episodes.

Alas superfluous music edits seems to be the thing for dub XY, so I'm just expecting elevator music the entire episode.

Last edited:

Vipsoccermaster

Great episode to watch! Lots of things happening, yes, but for some parts the writers don't even care about (Shauna and the second rounds) so they sped it up there. Oh well. Jessie and Serena were both good here, and we all want Jessie to win, but we know how it's going to turn out, right? Yeah.

I'd say the writers chose who won, not the audience, much to our dismay.

This was an ok episode. It was nice to see Serena come a long way since the beginning.

Pikachu52

For the culmination of Serena's goal, it was anti-climatic, poorly scripted and seemed more an opportunity for amourshipping fan service than anything else. Seriously, the competition comes across as Pokémon Australian Idol - Prehaps the title of this espidoe should have been "Kalos idol". The audience votes for the winner of each round, making it basically a massive exercise in showmanship. It even had a vote at home from your iPhone option - I wonder how much it costs to send that text?? Miette trying to get Ash to support her then asking if he and Serena were an "item" when he said he'd support Serena was obviously just a hook for shippers - Miette has had about 5 conversations with Ash, why wouldn't Ash support the friend he's traveled with. It certainly is drawing a long bow for Miette to think it suggests Ash has any romantic feelings for Serena - By this point it's clear he doesn't, at least not in cannon. The crying from Miette and Nini was over the top and seems to be playing to rather troublesome stereotypes - Up until now few other characters have had such an emotional reaction to their losses and where characters have experienced depression and doubt in themselves over losses, it tends to reflect more complicated emotional processes. This came across as tears over loosing - perhaps furthing the similarity to reality TV. It also produces an anti-climatic end to Miette and Nini's Rivalries with Serena - they both bomb out in the first round and only Miette actually competes against Serena. Given the lack of any other development of her character, Miette seems to have only existed in this series as amourshipping fanservice through her role as a supposed "love rival" over Ash - But that went nowhere since Ash was oblivious to both characters feelings. Nini I'm not even sure what to say about given her limited screen time - I think she may have only been in two other espidoes.

Last edited:

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I must say that I love the master class format as it makes the freestyle performance a more competitive round and it's so much easier to compare. Jessie's performance was the stand out for me and deserves to be in the semi final. It is a shame that they couldn't show Shauna's first round or any of the second round properly but I guess this shows the time constraints the writers have. Anyway, it all comes down to the semi final and I can't wait to see who comes out on top.

Good episode, onto the next one!

Pikachu52

I must say that I love the master class format as it makes the freestyle performance a more competitive round and it's so much easier to compare.

Easier to compare for the audience certainly. But there's still no written or objective criteria being applied. And presumably Ash and his friends will always vote for Serena whatever the comparison - He pretty much told Miette as much.

DatsRight

It would probably help if the montage of Kalos viewers didn't scope characters who had all befriended Serena. I don't see any of them really voting against her. For Aria perhaps as that's where professional opinions and nostalgic fans may overwhelm, but for a slightly more exposed performer and a completely anonymous one? They didn't stand a chance.

This was something that degraded Serena's arc, even if she HAD put enough hard work and talent into it, the majority of votes she got didn't feel based on that effort. We only saw a couple of Shauna's friends and Jessie, as demonstrated with her first performance, had only James and Meowth. It felt like they had been carried to the top far less.

Ash&Pikachu-Fan

Pika-Speed
Hm, I really liked the episode, I thought it was pretty good. Oh wow, the Master Class looks amazing, I really like where it's taking place, inside a castle! It really fits with Pokemon Showcases and it's theme of "Kalos Queen" which is what I like about it.

So it looks like all of Serena's rivals have met. Serena's reaction was funny when Miette asked Ash if he would cheer for her and over Serena and he says if it's Serena, he'd choose her, then she asks if they are a couple lol. She looked worried asking him. All the girls know about Serena and Miette love rivalry for Ash. :p

I also liked how Serena had to use her 3 Princess Keys to open the door, it looked nice. It's cool that Korrina, Alexa, Goodra, etc. Are also watching Serena's Master Class. I don't know why Grace wasn't sitting next to Ash and the group. Anyway I liked the performances, Serena's performance was great along with the music. It was sad when her rivals lost and were crying telling her to win. I'm looking forward to the next episode! 8.5/10.

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
Awesome episode. I was rooting for Jessie the entire time. Now I'm torn between my two faves: Jessie and Serena. Nene's comment on how it sounded complicated cracked me up XD

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
A nice mixed bag I would say. On the one hand, the show makers felt it was needed to skip a large portion of the competition. Make of that what you will. On the other hand even though I still do not like performances, this one seemed surprisingly good and well animated.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Been waiting for this one!

Love seeing the (friendly) rivals coming together. And Jessie is my Kalos Queen <3 Except... they didn't explain how Jessie got into the Master Class. She's only won 1 Princess Key. Or am I missing something...?

Nini and Miette taking the losses was rough, but a little underwhelming. They didnt really build up this Master Class tournament enough as they should have. With the short time frame, it doesn't help either.

Alloutℯ

Banned
The animation was excellent and I loved all of the appeals that were shown. I also loved that glance that Aria gave Serena before the Master Class started.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
For the second time, a minor scene regarding Ash's storyline redirected this fandom's attention in the middle of a major Serena episode.

This time it was Goodra

In XY64: Battling with Elegance and a Big Smile! Sawyer debuted

Or are mobile phones for everyone new to the pokemon world now?

Bianca and Trip both had Xtransceivers throughout Unova: Bianca used hers to call Professor Juniper frequently, and Trip's debuted when Ash called him to the Luxuria Town Battle Club at which they had the 5on5

I think she may have only been in two other espidoes.

She was in
Pathways to Performance Partnering!
A Performance Pop Quiz!
A Dancing Debut!

The animation was excellent and I loved all of the appeals that were shown. I also loved that glance that Aria gave Serena before the Master Class started.

This was copied from Lillie at bmgf

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
From what I remember watching this episode a while back, it was at least nice to see Professor Sycamore, Korrina, Gurkinn and Keanan see the Master Class performance so there is the feeling that a lot of Kalosians were watching the performance. Seeing all the rivals come together made it seem pretty tough but happy for Serena, Jessie and Shauna to pull through.