• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mastering Current Events! (622)

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This episode was good. The old guy's attitude seemed a bit harsh. Mainly the "waste of time" kind. It was awesome to see Gliscor learn Giga Impact. I can't believe Gliscor left considering that it was an awesome pokemon and having just learned Giga Impact.

pokedexfiller

Unova Trainer
Another Pokemon gone, likely never to return, but it kinda sounded like the Squirtle/Charizard situation. Guess not.

The old guy reminded my of Milo(that's it, right?) for the 4th movie, yet acted nothing like him. The old guy was almost like a jollier verison of Paul.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The dub's choice of song during the flashback scenes made me laugh. It wasn't sad, at least not to me. It was just the wrong song to choose. Anyway moving on, for some reason (and this may be because of the dub, I'm not really sure) this didn't seem like other "abandonment" episodes. Ash didn't seem to mind leaving Gliscor, even if he did intend to meet up with it again at some point. Is it just me or did he seem glad to leave Gliscor behind? Was he happy Gliscor would be trained properly or was he just too preoccupied to care?

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Well, the episode I've been dreading... I know Gible is beloved by all, and I don't dislike it, but I don't see the necessity of Gliscor being given its walking papers to make room for the dragon shark. Silly really. Hopefully Gliscor will be more fortunate than Ambipom, and will indeed return for the league.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
The dub's choice of song during the flashback scenes made me laugh. It wasn't sad, at least not to me.

Lol, not to throw a dampener on your choice of music, but I had a song similar to this one at my friends funeral after he got run over and it had most girls falling over themselves in tears. I guess it would have been better though to have something like the theme tune from Season 1, something jolly, covering the flashbacks, like how Butterfree had when it left.

On your other point, I put somewhere else how it shows Ash growing up, despite the fact hes still 10 (or is he only 9 now? :D). When Charizard went, he was angry, now hes not simply as hes matured and understood how Pokemon need time to grow. Perhaps even seeing Charizard and Squirtle go away and become brilliant Pokemon influenced him; or it could just be that he doesnt view Gliscor as integral to his future plans, whereas Charizard was, even when it didnt obey him, arguably the best he had at that time.

Its still possible for Gliscor to return for the league however.

Knew Id find one of these here; everyones given the reasons why; it wouldnt serve Gible or the rest of Ash's sinnoh team any benefit to have Gliscor stick his head around the door as theyre prepping for big matches at the league.

Commander L. Halsti

Toxin Squad Cmdr.
The difference between Paul and Ash-it's not that big. It's just about how will they say goodbye to their Pokemon. They both abandon them relatively often.

halloweenghost

I thought this was a pretty good leaving episode. I loved the scenes where it showed Gliscor's capture and first gym battle, and the song fitted it so well, but which film was it from?
I also liked the training in the night scene and how Dawn came through to help out. Shows how strong their friendship is.

the song was the ending theme to the rise of darkrai and it also appeared in the ending of arceus and the jewel of life with it's own ending theme and giritina and the sky warriors ending theme.

Good episodes indeed. I'll miss gliscor I always wanted to see it get better, and now it will.

and wow...the people months back saying ash is as bad as paul abandoning weak pokemon.... wow.... there's a HUGE difference in what ash does compared to how paul gets rid of weak pokemon. don't let your blind love for paul hide this. He was not abandoning gliscor at all.. He's letting them make the dicision to train and he says he'll see them again and well sometimes..he does lol... but hey who knows maybe some day he'll still see pidgeot..or maybe he has off camera..

Last edited:

KGB13

Man of Mystery
No matter how many times I see Scizor in the anime it still looks cool to me. I really liked all the air battling and thought how TR kept getting blown away by the wind was funny. It's sad to see Gliscor go but if it returns it will be stronger, which is a good thing. Overall this was a pretty good episode.

AstralEon

The one and only.
Great episode.

Oddly enough, this episode reminded me of yet another battle episode dealing with the same 'riding the wind' concept and involving the same exact Scizor for a foe.

*looks into the episode list*

"Curbing the Crimson Tide!" anyone?

Back on topic:

Must be frustrating for Gliscor not landing a single hit in the beginning battle with Scizor. He does have a lot of resistance though. Took many hits from a Scizor and was still able to continue.

He almost had Scizor the 2nd time but still was bested by him. Nice to see a a new move learn though.

The old man ticked me off a bit. The way he acted and all doesn't fit his character.

TR wasn't much of a threat this round. They were easily blasted off by the wind and were just in the way

In the end, Gliscor decided to stay and train some more. Leaving Ash yet another Pokemon to be long forgotten....probably. Wasn't much of a sad scenery either. They're really getting bad with these 'good-bye' scenes. They just don't make them how the use to.

Overall. I give it a 6/10.

Meh, I'm not much a a Gliscor fan.

thunderblade12

Ash says he'll see Gliscor again sometime so I assume we will see it again. Gliscor almost won that battle! 2 fire fangs and a giga impact.. 2 more fire fangs and it would have been over! I really hope Gliscor comes back. I want to see its big improvement.

I doubt it...

He told Pidgeot he'd see it someday too. He may have said it to Butterfree, Primeape, Lapras (in Johto), Haunter, and Larvitar too. I don't remember.

Brumrha

Banned
Something "must've" happened if this ep. has caused all this fuss. Let's see what it is...

- The gang continue their trek to Dawn's next "Gouge-your-eyes" fest. There's only one problem: They're lost in a thick forest. That's %&#$ing wonderful, people...
- Ash then lets out his Gliscor to scout ahead for a way out. What they find is a little shocking.
- They ended up finding a huge area below them, which is also heavily forested, but it also has some sheer mountains that end in a plateau up in their tops.
- Did I also mention that this place has erratic bouts of wind? Yeah? Well, I'll also mention that an Aerial Battle Master also dwells around these parts.
- Speaking of Aerial Battles, there's one going on here right now; a Chimecho is fighting against a Scizor.
- Of course, the Chimecho gets beaten to a bloody pulp by the Scizor. It then comes to mind that the Scizor is owned by the Aerial Master, whose name has slipped out of my brain, & he also has a granddaughter.
- In order to "try" to strengthen his Gliscor, Ash challenges him to an Aerial Fight, which the master accepts on the reason that he has too much time on his hands.
- Since Gliscor's Aerial fighting experience is at rock bottom, it doesn't take long for the master's Scizor to hand his #%$ over to him on a silver platter. I kind of saw that coming...
- During that time, TR is watching Gliscor get whipped from their own balloon. Because they, too, are at the mercy of sudden wind gusts, the erratic winds in this area reminds them that Aerial Fighting is not a good spectator sport, as the wind blows them toward a face on a mountain, which just so happens to have a branch jutting out of the face, & also happens to be at their level of altitude. The said branch punctures their balloon, thus sending them off into a cataclysmic ride up in the sky.
- The shut-out then turned Gliscor into an emotional wrecking ball. Why would anyone find this surprising?
- Since the day is turning late, the master shows them off into his guest house, in which they'll spend the night.
- However, Gliscor can't sleep for $@%#, & is up outside, with a lot on his mind. That brings Pikachu, & eventually Ash, to his side.
- They then decide to spend the night trying to read the winds, & because Dawn also happens to have a severe case of Insomnia, decides to help out as well, by tossing some Tin-foil Confetti into the air, thus revealing the direction of the winds to the naked eye.
- During the session, TR gets caught in the thick of it, & Gliscor crashes into them. They're finding out what he's doing, but Ash is none too pleased to see them here.
- They begin reciting their motto, but as they're doing so, the winds carry them off into the wild blue yonder, & Gliscor jumps off to rejoin Ash, or so I think...
- Next Day!! Ash feels confident this time, & thus he challenges the master to another Aerial fight, which he accepts again because he still has too much time on his hands. This guy seriously needs to start traveling, like right now.
- This time, Gliscor doesn't get whipped in a matter of seconds, & he actually starts hitting Scizor.
- Scizor is hit with a Fire Fang! That's a critical hit to the nads, here, ladies & gentlemen!
- Oh, jeez, Gliscor learns Giga Impact, the physical version of the SBC.
- But even with all of that, Scizor still manages to pull out a win for his master.
- Seeing how far Ash's Gliscor has progressed, he offers him a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity: to train his Gliscor further in Aerial Combat.
- Gliscor accepts this opportunity, which thus brings about an emotional parting...

Well, some of the people around here are beside themselves in tears with Gliscor being left behind, I'm not one of these people. For me, I think that Gliscor will always, in my mind, be a useless piece of #@%$. That aside, if Ash manages to get another Pokemon on his side, the chances of him, & most everyone else, forgetting about his Gliscor are almost guaranteed.

Last edited:

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Welll........I hate Gliscor too, but for someone who dislikes it seemingly more than me....you chat about it wiv bare passion

Vernikova

Champion
Well, I'm not bothered by the fact that Gliscor left. Actually, these two CotD characters I found to be pretty cool. I guess it's the fact that they felt a little snobbish, mainly the girl, and that the old man was a cool grandpa.

We are missing something here. All Pokemon released by Ash in and after Johto have some similarity between themselves and that is they return back in the league except for Larvitar who was never expected to be seen again. My point is, if all Pokemon are returning then Gliscor can also return for the league and writers are hiding it from us to give us a bug surprise.
And I don't think all of Ash's reserves seen in the latest Opening will make a cameo in the league as it has happened before.

Dax

Legend
I love Ash left Gliscor with no problem and was not affected by the decision while Gliscor was left crying.... what a good trainer!!

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Agree with Dax.......which is why I disagree with Sceptile Lover, if they spring that surprise on me.....I swear....

Still laughing at the grandad though, if Ash had happened to bring Swellow, Scizor would have been turned inside out-upside down.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The sad thing is Gliscor's release made me realize how boring the rest of Ash's Sinnoh pokemon are. Monferno is the only other one that has a personality.