• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Masuda Method Discussion [Or, how to get Shinies Easier]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_Chaos

WARP EVOLUTION!
I rarely to never use the GTS because of the trades... a LV 5 Ralts for a LV ??? Lugia... What kind of a deal is that!?
This method is obviously real because all the Youtube videos and stuff back up the method... Now all I need is a Japanese Ditto (or at least borrow one), so I can breed a shiny male and female Ralts, Piplup, and Charamander.

DryBones

Event Collector
Ok guys, here is the video I promised.

I began recording all the egg hatching up until the 12th egg and a shiny Shuckle hatched out.

It's been a while since I read the rules, so I do apologise if posting Youtube links isnt the right way of going about it but I did speak to Erik in advance through IRC so yeah, he should understand I hope.

Enjoy, and good luck!

Masuda Method Video - Shiny Shuckle

(Please rate and comment if possible)

Miltank Lover

Breeder, Miltank Ftw
Wow, this is awesome. Myself living in Europa means getting a french or german pokemon is rather easy to do so :D so the chance is aprox 2000 now, that is quite reasonable if you breed once in a while.

Dragonking

Yeah I've been using this method and haven't seen a shiny hatch yet. So far 926 eggs so it still takes awhile.

Alloute

Not Banned
Really this works, I just hatched a shiny Smeargle, Treecko, Taillow, and Teddiursa^_^

Arande

My only concern about this is, I thgouht using the everstone to help control natures had to be between pokes of the same language....

Hmmm, better chance for shiny, or more useful nature... tough choice XD Can always go for eevee that has many useful natures

SmartD

Can this work on Diamond? I have some Japanese Pokemon I traded on the GTS.

Maes Hughes

I hope this method actually does work, because I got a Japanese Roselia on the GTS several months ago, and it is one of the shinies I want the most. I haven't tried it yet, because I don't like hatching eggs, I get frustrated easily.
:p

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
I'm actually right now using my PC Eevee (Yeah, event pokémon, I know. Flame me if you must. ;>_>), with a Lucario I've received from Riley. Hopefully, the method'll work its magic for me to get a shiny Eevee, huh? (I'll probably release it later for lulz tbth. XD)

Tadashi

kiss my greens
This is so funny. I have a Japanese Ditto that I've been using strictly for daycare purposes, yet I've never hatched a shiny. (Then again, I only hatch a few eggs at a time) Maybe I'll try this out more in-depth and see if I manage to finagle a shiny.

shadowkami

Internet Hustla'
Seriously guys, this is not new. Smogon has been talking about this in the RNG research. You guys act if if you discovered a new element...
Smogon geeks said:
Each call to the IRNG returns a single 32 bit value, which is used in its entirety to create the PID.

When breeding with two parents from games of different Regions (Japanese and US Platinum are examples of different Regions) there is a slight modification to the Algorithm. When an initial PID is generated by the IRNG the game checks to see if it generates a shiny, and if not the following formula is applied:

PID = PID * 0x6c078965 (Hexadecimal) + 1

Only the first 32 bits of this new PID are kept, so if you are calculating this yourself simply discard any digits higher than the 8th position (in Hexadecimal).

This is repeated a maximum of three times. Each time the multiplication is applied to the PID a check is made to see if it will generate a shiny egg. If so, no further multiplications and are performed and the egg is assigned this PID. This gives us four tries for a shiny Pokemon, increasing our overall odds from 1:8196 to 1:2048.

DryBones

Event Collector
Seriously guys, this is not new. Smogon has been talking about this in the RNG research. You guys act if if you discovered a new element...

No one said it was 'new'. Clearly it isnt as Junichi posted this information 2-3 years ago on his blog.

It's just an interesting discussion, no need to try and kill it by acting like a smartass

wichu

To be honest, I'd never use this method. Sure, it increases the chances of getting a shiny; however, it's still only 1/2048 (I believe someone analysed the game's coding, and found that instead of generating one egg, it generates four and chooses the shiny one if there is one). It's rather pointless when using an alternate method, it takes me around 10 minutes to hatch a shiny (plus I get to see its nature, gender and ability before hatching it). I have 4 shinies which I hatched from eggs over the course of a few days; a Quiet Clamperl (HP Electric), Naive Charmander (Dragon Dance), Calm Porygon, and Relaxed Bronzor. All of them also have good IVs (for example, Porygon has 4 flawless IVs, while Charmander has 3).

However, this is still useful; the best results are from using this method combined with the RNG method, as you can get a good one 4 times as fast. I just don't have a foreign Ditto; besides, my quad-flawless English one is too good to pass up as a parent :p I'd rather spend longer getting a good nature than resetting for IVs from two mediocre parents.

Oh, and I actually noticed this nearly 2 years ago. I kinda got ignored when I posted about it, though...

First line of the thread said:
Albeit, this is apparently old, it's just now getting around from what I see.

Hey man, thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.