• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Masuda Method Discussion [Or, how to get Shinies Easier]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

AyameHikaru

Alt-Reality User
The scuttlebutt is that the M Method increases your chances of hatching a shiny PKMN by 4 so that means, on average, your chances are 1/2048 rather than 1/8192.

I have hatched over 3000 eggs in pursuit of a legit shiny Magikarp. Once I get my Magikarp I am not likely to use the M Method again -- it's boring!! I much prefer chaining -- I've gotten over 300 shinies (54 different species) that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck to all pursuing shinies!!

I agree that chaining is easier and faster, but what about those you can't chain? I for one have been trying to get a shiny staryu. My only method is either RNG abuse or Masuda method. =.=

CrownFire

I agree that chaining is easier and faster, but what about those you can't chain? I for one have been trying to get a shiny staryu. My only method is either RNG abuse or Masuda method. =.=

That's why I'm trying out the M Method, to get a shiny Magikarp/Gyarados -- but I think after that ... and hopefully I get one before my brain explodes from boredom!! .. I will just be happy with chaining for shinies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck to all pursuing shinies!!

If you hatch eggs while watching a movie or tv that helps with some of the boredom. Still hatching eevee's, no shiny yet but I've been keeping the modest, timid, and jolly natured ones. Yesterday I got really lucky 0_0, I hatched a bold natured one with hp electric (evolved into vapoeron), and a modest natured one with hp fighting (will probably evolve that one into espeon :D). I also just hatched a modest one with hp ice, my best candidate so far for a jolteon. At least I'm getting something from this in the meantime. Will check thier ivs later.

Brave Birdy

I have a japanese timid ditto, which I would like to use to breed a shiny magnemite, however, I heard that the everstone trick doesn't work with foreign pokemon. Is this true?

Cheffinator

<--- Latest Shiny
@brave Birdy: Thats true

The everstone trick doesnt work with foreign pokemon

CharlieDoryRose

Dragon Freak
This may turn out to be an incredibly stupid question, but if you recieved a pokemon from the GTS is there any way to find out which country it originated from?

I got a Shiny Duskull on my fourth egg. I'm at egg 70 something(or more) for mudkips though.

Amphar0s

Indie Music Fan.
This may turn out to be an incredibly stupid question, but if you recieved a pokemon from the GTS is there any way to find out which country it originated from?

The only way that comes to mind is to check the Globe inside the GTS, because the last place you received a Pokemon from is a different color square than past trades.

t6r7

<--Resets: Alot
Hi. I have a question. How do you get a shiny mespirit? Do you soft reset after you battle it or what?

I would really appreciate if my question is answered.

Shadow Breaker

It's Snap with G36C!
Hi. I have a question. How do you get a shiny mespirit? Do you soft reset after you battle it or what?

I would really appreciate if my question is answered.

You have to go to the cave where she is and sit in front of her and save. then click on her (you know what I mean) and see if she's shiny in the picture.

If not, SR again and again and again (this could take a long time, hours, days, a month at most)

When she is, don't SR again and pursuit her until you've got her.

I haven't done this, but I think that's how it goes. While she's flying around, she stays shiny, so don't worry. If you doubt me, you should ask someone else, otherwise try this.

Good luck

wichu

Wrong. The picture always shows the non-shiny sprite. I have caught a shiny Mesprit, and I know that the picture wasn't shiny - you have to encounter it to find out if it's shiny or not.

So you'd save in front of it in the cave, press A, then go out and hunt for it in the wild. If it's shiny, then you can save and attempt to catch it (it will stay shiny the next time you see it). Otherwise, reset and free/hunt it down again.

Shadow Breaker

It's Snap with G36C!
Wrong. The picture always shows the non-shiny sprite. I have caught a shiny Mesprit, and I know that the picture wasn't shiny - you have to encounter it to find out if it's shiny or not.

So you'd save in front of it in the cave, press A, then go out and hunt for it in the wild. If it's shiny, then you can save and attempt to catch it (it will stay shiny the next time you see it). Otherwise, reset and free/hunt it down again.

Well, as I said, I didn't do it, so I really don't know. Now I know though and maybe I'll try(?) Thanks for pointing out my half-newbish mistake

Either way, I never had any luck Masuda Method'ing or Soft Resetting, so I think I'll stick to Pokeradar, because I'm good at it and I have a bunch of shinies as a result.

EDIT: @ uae saif we have the same trainer name! ;)

t6r7

<--Resets: Alot
Thanks for answering. I guess I wont get a shiny mespirit cause I already set it free. :)

Status: Using the masuda method to get a shiny magikarp. Up to 130 eggs but no luck. :(

Glaser

Pokemon Ultimatum
Okay, so I have a this Crobat, which I believe came from Japan (it's name and its previous owner's name are both written in Japanese). So, supposedly, if I bred this with another Golbat, there would be a higher chance of the baby being shiny? Just making sure :)

Also, how do I know if any of my Pokemon are from somewhere else that speaks english? Is there a way of knowing this?

JosJuice

Slightly inactive
Okay, so I have a this Crobat, which I believe came from Japan (it's name and its previous owner's name are both written in Japanese). So, supposedly, if I bred this with another Golbat, there would be a higher chance of the baby being shiny? Just making sure :)
That's correct.

wichu

Yes, it's been confirmed. Somebody looked into the game's coding and found it; it simply rerolls the Egg's personality ID (a hidden number, like IVs, which controls shininess, as well as a few other things) up to 4 times, and stops if the Egg would be shiny. So it basically quadruples the chance, from 1/8192 to 1/2048.

Status
Not open for further replies.