• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Masuda Method Discussion [Or, how to get Shinies Easier]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 11515

Albeit, this is apparently old, it's just now getting around from what I see.

Essentially, the Masuda Method consists of this:

1. You obtain a Foreign Pokemon [E.g. a German Ditto]
2. You breed your Pokemon with aforementioned foreign Pokemon.
3. The Game checks to see if one pokemon is foreign.
4. Thus, the chances of getting a Shiny Pokemon is roughly fourthed [supposedly 1/2048 instead of 1/8192]

Masuda's Official Blog.

Discuss, I guess.
I'm not 100% sure this is legitimate; yet, it was on GF's official blog, so :c
Apparently people say it works.

LightingKimba

Listenin' t'Dragons!
The Shiny Lovers Club seem to be benefitting from this, so I suppose it's true. Problem is getting pokemon from different nationalities, but hey, Masuda made it a good Easter Egg for people to communicate and not act like Paul and never trade or play with anyone else.

DryBones

Event Collector
Comments on the video show would make it appear that the method is legitimate.

A few people have claimed it to be an April Fools joke, but certainly not the majority.

Alloute

Not Banned
Oh la la!! I'll try it! I have a shiny Ditto, it'll increase my chances woot woot!

zlxq3000

Master Collector
Oh boy, do want. A foreign female Lax Charmander would be amazing for this. :D

Black Diaruga

Chahuistle
Wow, I had read about it, but hadn't seen the actual blog post.
DryBones said:
A few people have claimed it to be an April Fools joke, but certainly not the majority.
Why? It was posted on December.
I think it's true, why would Masuda lie?

TSL

Mischievous.
Hm, what happens if you put two compatible foreign pokemon in daycare? Is the chance to get a shiny 8thed?

DryBones

Event Collector
Heh, looks like this method does wonders!! =D

Just after my previous post I set up my video camera and began recording my egg hatching

On the 12th egg, the Shuckle came out shiny

I used a Japanese Ditto and an English/American Shuckle

Video evidence will be available soon, I am now editing it.

Alloute

Not Banned
Heh, looks like this method does wonders!! =D

Just after my previous post I set up my video camera and began recording my egg hatching

On the 12th egg, the Shuckle came out shiny

I used a Japanese Ditto and an English/American Shuckle

Video evidence will be available soon, I am now editing it.

Awesome, good going.

I want a shiny Shuckle teehee.

Odd, I find this thread before I posted on how to get a shiny pokemon on platinum and now i learn that trading over foreign pokes can help increase? Wow. So, I have a ditto from my emerald pack and I have 2 or 3 foreign pokemon. If I breed them, would I get a shiny?

SteelMetagross

Certified Trainer
I bred about 55 torchic with this method and didn't get one so I gave up. I should keep trying though, and maybe I'll get lucky and hatch a shiny.

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
Hm, what happens if you put two compatible foreign pokemon in daycare? Is the chance to get a shiny 8thed?
No. The bonus happens when the two Pokémon come from different language versions from each other. So if you put two Japanese Pokémon in the Daycare, you get the usual odds. But if you put a German with a French, you get the same boost you'd get from putting a Spanish in with an English.

I hatched a shiny Skorupi after ~325 eggs. On its own, it's not statistically significant, but combined with the results of others, it counts for something.

And the guys at Smogon rediscovered this while reverse engineering the egg PV calculation formulas, so I'd say it's credible.

(Funny thing is, I had known about this blog for around 6 months, but never got around to actually trying. Also, my old plan wouldn't have worked, because I would have used a Pokémon bred on an English game but hatched in a Japanese game as my foreign breeder, which apparently doesn't work.)

echo-lima

some dude
hey would my pokemon from my English cartridge pokemon be classed as foriegn (my diamond is an auz cartridge) even if i pal parked them and all that?

MetalMario

< It's Passion Pink!
hey would my pokemon from my English cartridge pokemon be classed as foriegn (my diamond is an auz cartridge) even if i pal parked them and all that?
Nope. Language is all that counts.

echo-lima

some dude
cool then i need my japanese and all that must look for ditto

Prince Amrod

Dragon Tamer
how about a munchlax from japan that had evolved on an english game? the name has since changed into english, would that change anything?

Khamul

Fail Meister
I have a question about this, does this include the german magikarp that the hiker trades to you?

Yeti

Banned
Well I went and GTSed myself a foreign Ditto, found a nice Japanese one and traded my spare lv 100 Entei I got in a trade eons ago.

Got the random Aerodactyl that's been on my Diamond for who knows how long and have hatched 22 eggs, no shiny yet but I'll keep hatching.

This would be the first shiny to have my OT and ID.. something about my games just never lets me get shinies o( My 120+ shinies are all traded lol :c

Once Aero shiny hatches I'm not too sure what I'll breed for, but there's a lot of Pokemon on my game I could breed. Maybe I'll breed my shiny Japanese Meganium with my Chikorita and get a third shiny Meganium lol.

It's sort of interesting nobody found this in the game's data or whatever before [except Smogon recently figuring it out but the game's been out for 2 years]. I hope it is true, seems like a nice little tidbit the creators threw in for the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.