• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Masuda Method Discussion [Or, how to get Shinies Easier]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
After a little over 300 eggs i hatched a shiny Charmander with a quirky nature. Its the second shiny ive collected in around 400 eggs that ive hatched over the last week.
300+ eggs for shiny charmander
7 eggs for shiny electrike
I knew the method was legitimate but just by using the method myself i can clearly see that with a little luck you can obtain valuable shinys (even if you stink at using pokeradar) in a short amount of time

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
Now im going for shiny Skarmory and/or Dratini :) ;147;

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
hey did you use pokemon from the GTS?just out of curiosity...

Yep, i recently traded for a german ditto and that is the ditto ive used when breeding for both of my recent shinies :)

jbtenseventeen

Shiny Hunter
Yep, i recently traded for a german ditto and that is the ditto ive used when breeding for both of my recent shinies :)

were the pokemon you bred with the German ditto from your game?

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie

Yea, i bred a charizard i pal-parked from fire red and a manectric i pal parked from emerald (seperately of course,each with the german ditto). Any pokemon that you have will work as long as it is able to breed and the two pokemon you are breeding are from two different languages i.e. english and japanese ;328;
oh also be prepared to hatch eggs for quite a long time, you may hatch a shiny very quickly but it also may take 1000+ eggs. It still is all luck but with this method you just have much better odds :)

Last edited:

darkrai4

Dark Trainer

yeah, are they?????
and just out of tremendous curiosity(again),how many eggs did it took you to hatch your most recent shiny(i know i am sooooo curious...)

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
yeah, are they?????
and just out of tremendous curiosity(again),how many eggs did it took you to hatch your most recent shiny(i know i am sooooo curious...)

Ummm... It took right around 330 eggs (350 at the very most, because some of the eggs i just hatched and did not store them in my boxes to count) before i hatched my shiny Charmander. I had pretty good luck with the hatching so far, but i was starting to lose patience even though i got a shiny very quickly compared to normal breeding odds.
I actually will just put my parent pokemon in the daycare and collect eggs till i have about 2 boxes full, then i start hatching them. I repeat the process till i find one, (or fall asleep from boredom). Oh im new to this method too so if anyone has any tips on any part of this method then send em my way ;munchlax;

darkrai4

Dark Trainer
Ummm... It took right around 330 eggs (350 at the very most, because some of the eggs i just hatched and did not store them in my boxes to count) before i hatched my shiny Charmander. I had pretty good luck with the hatching so far, but i was starting to lose patience even though i got a shiny very quickly compared to normal breeding odds.
I actually will just put my parent pokemon in the daycare and collect eggs till i have about 2 boxes full, then i start hatching them. I repeat the process till i find one, (or fall asleep from boredom). Oh im new to this method too so if anyone has any tips on any part of this method then send em my way ;munchlax;
oh ok thanks for the tips,i was too impatient :), i only hatched 6 of my japanese driflimb eggs,thanks.

CrownFire

I'm over 750 Magikarp eggs. I've been using mostly a German female Magikarp (from GTS) and a male Magikarp of my own (English). About 50 eggs with a Japanese Ditto (from GTS). If my luck holds true to form (bad luck in other words) I will have to breed and hatch 1 and 1/2 times the average -- or over 3000 eggs before getting my shiny Magikarp. After that ordeal I doubt I will continue with the Masuda Method -- it's just so boring when compared to chaining for shinies.

During
the past couple of week or so I've been trying out the MM I've chained some swarm-of-the-day shinies as a break from the monotony. 1 Dunsparce and 8 Makuhita (4 are Adamant, one of which has 31 ATT IV).

darkrai4

Dark Trainer
I'm over 750 Magikarp eggs. I've been using mostly a German female Magikarp (from GTS) and a male Magikarp of my own (English). About 50 eggs with a Japanese Ditto (from GTS). If my luck holds true to form (bad luck in other words) I will have to breed and hatch 1 and 1/2 times the average -- or over 3000 eggs before getting my shiny Magikarp. After that ordeal I doubt I will continue with the Masuda Method -- it's just so boring when compared to chaining for shinies.

During
the past couple of week or so I've been trying out the MM I've chained some swarm-of-the-day shinies as a break from the monotony. 1 Dunsparce and 8 Makuhita (4 are Adamant, one of which has 31 ATT IV).
yeah,it is way boring.But is less frustrating that when you have over 30 chained pokemon you get a @#$# Staraptor!!
Curse you evil bird!!

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
Alrighty. I'm breeding with Syberia's Ditto and a kickass Lucario I got in a trade. I've hatched 554 eggs so far, and no shiny in sight.

I know the chance is 1/2048, but honestly, all these reports of getting shinies in <200 eggs is getting to me. I'm starting to wonder if my Pokemon are truly international.

So, my first question. Let's say a Pokemon egg is generated in a Japanese game. Then, it is traded and HATCHED on an English game. Would the hatched Pokemon be considered Japanese by the game, or would it be considered English?

Needs a Deoxys

Got a few question regarding this method:

1. When you are traded a foreign pokemon, how do you find its foreign pokedex entry? I was recently traded a Japanese Ditto and I don't see where its foreign entry is. (I had an english Ditto beforehand, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.) By the way, do you even need its foreign dex entry for this to work?

2. Also, I've heard that doing this method doesn't allow you to give your pokemon an everstone and have the nature pass on. Is this true? So, for example, say I give my adamant, Japanese Ditto an everstone and put it in with some other non-Japanese pokemon, if I breed until I get a shiny, will that shiny definetely be adamant, or will it just be random as usual?

Thanks in advance.

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
Does the foreign pokemon that comes to your DS change its name into english characters?

Does the foreign pokemon that comes to your DS change its name into english characters?

No. But if it evolves in your game then the name will change to english. For example, if you got a japanese elekid but you evolved it into electabuzz, then the name of the pokemon will be in english. But because the ot is foriegn its still a foriegn pokemon.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
So, my first question. Let's say a Pokemon egg is generated in a Japanese game. Then, it is traded and HATCHED on an English game. Would the hatched Pokemon be considered Japanese by the game, or would it be considered English?

English. Doesn't matter what game the egg is generated on, it matters in what languaged it's hatched.

Also, be careful with this. There have been people who have saved the game, hatched shinies in one language, reset, traded the shiny egg to another language, and hatched a non-shiny. It all has to do with personal ID's and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.