• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Masuda Method Discussion [Or, how to get Shinies Easier]

• Thread starter Deleted member 11515
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

SupremeJudicator

Still gotta catch 'em all!
Got a few question regarding this method:

1. When you are traded a foreign pokemon, how do you find its foreign pokedex entry? I was recently traded a Japanese Ditto and I don't see where its foreign entry is. (I had an english Ditto beforehand, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.) By the way, do you even need its foreign dex entry for this to work?

2. Also, I've heard that doing this method doesn't allow you to give your pokemon an everstone and have the nature pass on. Is this true? So, for example, say I give my adamant, Japanese Ditto an everstone and put it in with some other non-Japanese pokemon, if I breed until I get a shiny, will that shiny definetely be adamant, or will it just be random as usual?

Thanks in advance.

1. If you have Diamond/Pearl not every pokemon has a foreign dex entry. If you have Platinum, then on their dex page at the bottom there will be a little tab that you can select to switch to the foreign language. But, you don't need the dex entry for this to work.

2. That is correct. This method doesn't allow for the passing of natures with the everstone. The natures will always be random when you breed two pokemon from different languages.

Buck The Bidoof Masta

No HM Slaves Here
No. But if it evolves in your game then the name will change to english. For example, if you got a japanese elekid but you evolved it into electabuzz, then the name of the pokemon will be in english. But because the ot is foriegn its still a foriegn pokemon.

Thanks alot!

BrockDaRock

Pokemon Breeder
I recieved a foreign female Piplup through the GTS. So far 60 eggs hatched and 59 of them are males all with 12 Hp. I've bred pokemon before and have never seen such similarities. It makes me wonder if the piplup was hacked therefore forfitting any chances of a shiny ever hatching from an egg. Also, does it matter which is foreign, mother or father? I'm sure that has been posted already, sorry for a repetative question if so.

Last edited:

danoziami

I recieved a foreign female Piplup through the GTS. So far 60 eggs hatched and 59 of them are males all with 12 Hp. I've bred pokemon before and have never seen such similarities. It makes me wonder if the piplup was hacked therefore forfitting any chances of a shiny ever hatching from an egg. Also, does it matter which is foreign, mother or father? I'm sure that has been posted already, sorry for a repetative question if so.

I don't believe it is hacked, as it is not unusual for hatched same-species Pokémon to have the same HP. As for the Males, there is a greater percentage for Males (87.5%) than Females (12.5%) for Piplup, so...

BrockDaRock

Pokemon Breeder
ok thanks, I was unaware of the breeding percentile of piplip but now i know. I was just worried of getting a hacked pkmn off of GTS and that messing up my chances of a shiny.

JD

Guys I got a shiny totodile after hatching 49 eggs got it on the 49th Im so happy!

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
I recently hatched a shiny Skorupi using the Masuda Method. It took me 983 eggs for it to hatch, my next target to get is Totodile with Dragon Dance, hatched 10 eggs so far.

darkrai4

Dark Trainer
I recently hatched a shiny Skorupi using the Masuda Method. It took me 983 eggs for it to hatch, my next target to get is Totodile with Dragon Dance, hatched 10 eggs so far.
983??
how did you got that many eggs?
Did you not got tired?nor bored or annoyed?

Mudkip8003

Ahhhh, a nice, easy way to get shinys!!!! Does the Magicarp the man trades you work with this?

danoziami

I don't know how many Eggs I ended up hatching total, but after days of doing so, I finally hatched a Shiny Magikarp! I was hoping not to get Lax Nature, but what do you know? I had to get it! I guess I can't have everything in life :p After days of doing the Masuda Method with an English Ditto and a Daisuki Fan Club Magikarp, I gave up this morning. I instead got a Japanese Ditto off of the GTS, and put it in with an English Magikarp. I have been hatching for around 4-5 hours with those Pokémon, and less than ten minutes ago, while watching TV, I looked down to see yet another Magikarp Egg hatch, and it was SHINY! Japanese Ditto is the way to go!

DSCF0951.jpg

Last edited:

Needs a Deoxys

I've been going after Lapras for a while now via Masuda. So far I've hatched about 150 but with no luck. Its really not all that boring as long as you have something else to occupy your mind with (like TV). I suggest watching TV or doing something that entertains you while hatching, so you don't get too bored or discouraged and just quit.

Blastoise07

Pokemon Junkie
I've been going after Lapras for a while now via Masuda. So far I've hatched about 150 but with no luck. Its really not all that boring as long as you have something else to occupy your mind with (like TV). I suggest watching TV or doing something that entertains you while hatching, so you don't get too bored or discouraged and just quit.

Thats good advice :) If it weren't for the T.V. i would have quit using the Masuda Method long ago haha

Needs a Deoxys

Thats good advice :) If it weren't for the T.V. i would have quit using the Masuda Method long ago haha

lol, the monotony of going up and down that road would overwhelm you otherwise.

Btw, I finally hatched my shiny Lapras! Two eggs after I posted I had hatched about 500 (really it was like 498), I got my Shiny! Ended up taking exactly 500 lol. A nice round number.

I<3 You

Attempting to Chain
Thye average of finding a shiny pokemon through this method is around 400-1000 eggs...

Of course you could get unlucky and end up doing 2k...

It works for all i know.

chaining is easier but breeding is more fulfilling to me.

CrownFire

Thye average of finding a shiny pokemon through this method is around 400-1000 eggs...

hmmmm, my understanding is the probability of hatching a shiny PKMN using the MM is 4 times better than normal (8192 * .25 = 2048) thus 1 in 2048. Isn't that the average?

Ammako

Masuda Method lets us hatch the eggs and do the steps needed to buy the two decorations for the Villa, plus we get to get shinies.

ShinyFufu

Arriving glacially.
Got a Japanese Male Mawile with False Swipe today. :D It'll be perfect to breed with my quint-flawless female Breloom. I'll force those two to make babies after I get shiny Riolu.

Surfing_Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.