• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mature Pokemon

*sighs* I was hoping this would go into GPD, but alas. And it doesn't go into rename/redesign/make anything because noone's doing that.

Remember how the original, Japan-exclusive Pokemon Stadium had only some Pokemon? How mad people got? And what about Snap? One of the most beloved Pokemon games ever. 63 Pokemon, not even half.

So what if the guys at Nintendo/GameFreak were to make a "mature" Pokemon game, where battling and plot were dark, and Pokemonand people could possibly die? Of course, it'd be too gimmicky (not to mention copy-Mortal-Kombat-y) to include ALL the Pokemon, so they'd have to limit it down. If some few Pokemon were to be redesigned for such a game, which ones would you like to see?

Personally, I'd like to see Gyarados, Mr. Mime, Haunter, Magnemite/Magneton, Garbodor, and Aggron. Onix too. How bout you guys?

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
So what if the guys at Nintendo/GameFreak were to make a "mature" Pokemon game, where battling and plot were dark, and Pokemonand people could possibly die? Of course, it'd be too gimmicky (not to mention copy-Mortal-Kombat-y) to include ALL the Pokemon, so they'd have to limit it down. If some few Pokemon were to be redesigned for such a game, which ones would you like to see?

Personally, I'd like to see Gyarados, Mr. Mime, Haunter, Magnemite/Magneton, Garbodor, and Aggron. Onix too. How bout you guys?

That's a terrible idea and goes against the core charm of the pokémon game, there is no way Game Freak will ever make a Pokémon game like that.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
I'm not so sure about a "mature" game, maybe a bit of upping in the rating would be nice, but I think that it should be at ESRB T/PEGI 13.

AyameTori

solitude sometimes is best society
But having a mature game would ruin the whole base of the game! They are meant to be happy games -.-

PokeMaster366

*sighs* I was hoping this would go into GPD, but alas. And it doesn't go into rename/redesign/make anything because noone's doing that.

Remember how the original, Japan-exclusive Pokemon Stadium had only some Pokemon? How mad people got? And what about Snap? One of the most beloved Pokemon games ever. 63 Pokemon, not even half.

They already had a bit of a dark plot in Pokemon with the creation of the Pokemon Colosseum game and its XD sequel. Pokemon dying, however, is better left in the mangas.

I'm not so sure about a "mature" game, maybe a bit of upping in the rating would be nice, but I think that it should be at ESRB T/PEGI 13.

That's why I kept "mature" in quotations; not everyone uses ESRB or PEGI, so I wanted so leeway.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon

Why? Pokémon is a game that is targeted toward children so the age rating that it has is fine. Furthermost making pokémon a mature game doesn't automatically equal a good game.

And finally I leave you with the question;

"What is a mature game and what counts as mature?"

They already had a bit of a dark plot in Pokemon with the creation of the Pokemon Colosseum game and its XD sequel.

Even that was toned down and was very lightly touch upon, before Game Freak bush Colosseum and XD under the carpet.

Meeker

It needs a fence.
Why? Pokémon is a game that is targeted toward children so the age rating that it has is fine. Furthermost making pokémon a mature game doesn't automatically equal a good game.

I know that the label "mature" doesn't make a good game. I was just saying it wouldn't be horrible if it was upped a tad, a touch of realism isn't awful. But my opinion is that it shouldn't be overly violent. Pokemon wasn't meant to be gory or stuff like that. Leave all of that stuff to the other game companies.

And finally I leave you with the question;

"What is a mature game and what counts as mature?"

Even that was toned down and was very lightly touch upon, before Game Freak bush Colosseum and XD under the carpet.

As you said "Un toned down."
A "mature" medium doesn't sugarcoat the truth. It doesn't have to be risqué, just honest. Take "Here Comes the Boom:" it's PG, but it talks about embezzlement, fighting, mortality, and the modern dating paradigm (drinks and sex). In a universe where we have fire-breathing rhinos and Pokemon gangsters around every corner, it'd make sense that you could die, or if you did happen to launch an avalanche onto a Pidgey's head, I think it'd probably die.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
I'd like to see a more 'mature' Pokemon game, but I know it will never happen. There'd be far, far too much outcry from younger fans and their parental figures.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
...What does a "mature" Pokemon game have to do with not including every Pokemon, anyway?

Most spin-offs don't have every Pokemon, anyway; Ranger, Conquest, PokePark, Dash, and Channel come to mind.

Pikafleg

Twenty-Six!
Well maybe there could be more "maturity" in aspects similar to colosseum/XD's "shadow pokemon", or more developed/bad "evil" teams, but I don't think it should go as far as real, permanent, warfare violence in pokemon. That would be too much, even if it is more realistic. Plus either way it would never actually be created, I don't think.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
But having a mature game would ruin the whole base of the game! They are meant to be happy games -.-

Not everybody wants happy though. I think a GTA-style Pokemon spin-off (series) would be good for the franchise.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
I know that the label "mature" doesn't make a good game. I was just saying it wouldn't be horrible if it was upped a tad, a touch of realism isn't awful. But my opinion is that it shouldn't be overly violent. Pokemon wasn't meant to be gory or stuff like that. Leave all of that stuff to the other game companies.

Then you are playing the wrong game and don't understand that Pokémon is a children game that will never change no matter what.

Furthermore Game Freak and Nintendo are unwilling to up the age rating, which is why the Game Corner was watered down in the European version of Pokémon Platinum and then replaced in the western release of Heart Gold/Soul Silver before being removed from the series all together.

A "mature" medium doesn't sugarcoat the truth. It doesn't have to be risqué, just honest. Take "Here Comes the Boom:"

Pokémon has shown that pokémon do die, explored the concept of truth and ideal, shown how a lack of human emotion can make a man cold and uncaring and how some people will do anything to get money.

but it talks about embezzlement, fighting, mortality,

Aside from embezzlement pokémon has covered on fighting and mortality.

and the modern dating paradigm (drinks and sex).

It's a children game they are far too young to be thinking about drinking, dating and sex. Go and play a different if you really want to play game that has those features.

In a universe where we have fire-breathing rhinos and Pokemon gangsters around every corner, it'd make sense that you could die, or if you did happen to launch an avalanche onto a Pidgey's head, I think it'd probably die.

But then that would go against the reason why made the pokémon faint rather than die, he wanted to create a game that wasn't centred around violent. The moment they make a pokémon game where your pokémon dies then it isn't a pokémon game any more and the series is dead.

If you really want to play a game where your character dies then play one of the Fire Emblem games.

Not everybody wants happy though.

Then they can play a different game there is no need to change the Pokémon series into something that it shouldn't be.

I think a GTA-style Pokemon spin-off (series) would be good for the franchise.

No it wouldn't, if anything that would kill the franchise and parents wouldn't want children to be playing a violence game.

Folks I am going to say this right and you better damn sure get it into your head.

Pokémon is a children game nothing more and nothing less. The very fact that you want it to be "mature" means that you are either growing out of the series or need to try playing different games that suits your taste.

Last edited:

Raiin

Johto Boy
having your pokemon die and such would just be... weird. I mean there is the nuzlocke but that's a fan made challenge, and your pokemon still don't really die. I don't think it would work out to much. I do think Colosseum and XD did a great job of adding a little darker atmosphere to the game but any more would be over kill. Besides pokemon have died before in the series, Lavender town... Marowak...

Zachmac

Pokemon's done far too much work to make themselves child friendly. It's a game about making magical creatures fight, but these are magical creatures that enjoy fighting and like to befriend their trainers. They never fight to the death, breeding pokemon is hinted to happen in a much more mysterious manner then, um...the usual means, and the only easy way to make a pokemon "hate" you is to give them bitter medicine. But even then, new pokemon are hinted to be more uncertain more then anything else.

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
A game that is more mature could work, but making it dark and gritty seems like a very bad idea. The pokemon world being so friendly and joyful is a great deal of what makes it fun to play.
If they would make a more mature version, they should make only 2 changes in my opinion:
1. Make the protagonists older, as in mid-twenties or so.
2. Make pokemon battling something only a selection of skillful adults (NPCs) can do, and the majority of the population only keep them as pets or work companions, much like Mightyena and Tangrowth in the 13th movie.
With these simple changes, the games would be much more mature and realistic, without resorting to making it dark and gritty for no reason.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Then you are playing the wrong game and don't understand that Pokémon is a children game that will never change no matter what.

Pokemon is not only for children. It's for everyone. People of any age can play it. Seriously, why do people keep saying that pokemon is for children only. There is nothing in it that makes it only for children NOR is there anything that makes it exclusive to adults. It is for both of them.

Anyway, if you want a more "mature" game ( as you say ), then you just need to change the story. BW's story is quite good. That is mature enough for pokemon. It doesnt need to get gory and stuff. That would be stupid IMO. I just hate those games where they show people dying horribly just for the fun of it. It's weird.

BlackCatNYC

I get where you are going with it but I think Gamefreak has a format they won't ever change. It's making them loads of monies, lol.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
They've got to keep a "child" friendly face to the whole thing. The Pokémon Designs are very "Bright", and hardly seem dark. Pokémon is Disney's Alice in Wonderland compared to American McGee's Alice games.

Pokémon Anime has a "prime time" TV slots, and on Children TV channels. I should point out why Adult Swim is not on CN in the UK, but on TCM. CN(UK) (and Also CITV, who also show Pokémon) is considered by the Regulator as a "Children Channel" and is limited to show only "child Friendly" Programs.

The Smash Bros Series is the highest Rated "Pokémon" game, however that could the fact it's a fighting game, and not an actual Pokémon Game.

The reason you can't find this type of thread, They've been shut and subsequently "deleted." Most of the last threads turned in to Flame wars. While I want to shut it, I'm having trouble finding a valid reason to do so.