• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Mawile's Pokedex Entry

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
As some of you may have noticed, Mawile's pokedex entry in Ruby is misspelled:

"Mawhile's huge jaws are actually steel horns that have been transformed. Its docile-looking face serves to lull its foe into letting down its guard. When the foe least expects it, Mawhile chomps it with its gaping jaws."

Observe the underlined words. It is Mawile's name, but spelled wrong! How could this have happened? Was it an honest mistake? Sabotage to the games? Discuss.

RivalsByNature

Lalala Not Listening
I never noticed that...in fact, I thought Mawile was spelled Mawhile.

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
I never did until today, also. It amazed me. I just randomly decided to read the entry after I caught it, and....there it was. I was like "WHAAAATTT!!!"

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
In mine it is. It was spelled correctly in the European Release. Do you perhaps have a European game?

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
Yup, there is. If you go to Mawile's Ruby Pokedex entry on Bulbapedia and scroll over "Mawhile", it will show you that.

Soperman

The One and Only
I think they originally meant to name it "Mawhile" but changed their minds at the last minute and forgot to change the entry.

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
Both are valid options. Quite a Mystery.... :p

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I thought you were going to talk about Mawile itself...

Anyway, I think I heard Chuggaaconroy mention that before, and I took a look in my own Ruby copy. It's pretty hilarious how none of us noticed that as kids--perhaps.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
It's only in earlier copies of Ruby (and maybe Sapphire). It's a typo signifying it was actually supposed to be spelled differently.

How early, exactly? My brothers and I got our copies like about a year later, and mine has the misspelling. Haven't checked my brothers' copies, it slipped my mind at the time (and I can't check now, I'm not at home at the moment).

DarkCharizard2

Vae Victis
How early, exactly? My brothers and I got our copies like about a year later, and mine has the misspelling. Haven't checked my brothers' copies, it slipped my mind at the time (and I can't check now, I'm not at home at the moment).

I only got mine a year ago, but it was used. So, it is a possibility that mine is quite old.

Aquarelle

Staff member
I read about the misspelling on Bulbapedia a while ago, but I never noticed it on my game before then.
Probably because I never bothered to read Mawile's entry. :p

LOL! Just like Steven said, "Sootopolis Space Center..."

LOL! Just like Steven said, "Sootopolis Space Center..."