• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Max raid NPC's from best to worst?

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Last edited:

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
None of the NPC's in Max Raids are much help in my experience, I usually end up with the Magikarp, Pikachu, Hawlucha and Clefairy, though I have been seeing the Salazzle and Heatmor a lot more lately. I always appreciate getting the female dancer NPC though, because I love the little "I need to go potty!" dance she does.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
Funny enough, I’ve been saved multiple times in a max raid battle by either a Togepi or a Clefairy. Togepi using Life Dew to heal myself or another Pokémon to avoid being knocked out. Clefairy using Follow Me to prevent another Pokémon taking a super effective hit.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
No one is as bad as the guy with the Solrock. I never had a problem with that pokémon before, but it’s now one of my least favorites because of him

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
No one is as bad as the guy with the Solrock. I never had a problem with that pokémon before, but it’s now one of my least favorites because of him

Martin's. Freaking. SOLROCK.

That is the most useless thing since that Wobuffett that can't predict the correct return move to save its life.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Just be like me and intentionally attack Martin when given the chance.

Poppy can go away too.
If it wasn't for the max raid rules I'd do it in a heartbeat

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
When someone with a Magikarp is more desirable as an A.I partner than most of the NPCs, you know there's a problem. The NPC with the Magikarp can actually be rather helpful because at least it puts in effort to break barriers.

As for the worst Max Raid trainers, the only right answers are the NPCs with the Solrock and Wobbuffet respectively. None of them are as bad as them, even some of the less desirable NPCs.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Game Freak really needs to do a patch update with the Max Raid NPCs. They are damn near worthless.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
All of them are equally garbage, they really ought to have programmed in some better NPCs for the Raids that overwrite the weaker trainers as you progress through the game. Meaning the stupid Solrock is gone after say... gym three? And NPCs can actually dish out proper damage, rather than restrict you to using the wolf OR sitting there and hoping somebody joins your Giga raid so you can catch it.

Against normal Dynamax, they're not so bad. But against Gigagantimax, they flat out suck!

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
I tend to like the person with the salazzle, considering for awhile my only offline max raids I was really doing was for Gigantamax butterfree (didn’t have online for my switch)

Martin and his solrock have been the most notoriously frustrating NPCs in this franchise since whitneys Miltank
Brb getting charged with first degree manslaughter

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
You would think there would be more useful NPCs like your rivals, the Gym Leaders, & Leon the further you progress into the game
Agreed.

Solrock and Clefairy get on my nerves. The former for not doing much and the latter using follow me at the worst times sometimes. Wobbuffet makes third place for not doing much.

Magikarp tries, but its defense sucks. Salazzle works hard, same with Jolteon and Togepi comes in handy with its recovery move.

nel3

Crimson Dragon
its a tie between solrock and wobuffet for the worst, solrock just cosmic powers and the occasional rock throw. wobbs just doesnt know that counter or mirror coat is the top moves for it to use. Magikarp is more useful than solrock in this game in the raids...

Hey now, it's not Solrock's fault that their trainer is monumentally incompetent : P

But seriously, Martin really is the worst. It feels like he's there as a constant reminder of things that don't pan out well in raids: boosting stats and depending on an ability. Both just get flushed away when the dynamax / g-max poke does that little dispelling burst. It's cool when he DOES decide to attack, but I think his Solrock's only attacks are rock throw, which just loves to miss, and confusion??

I want to say I've had good cooperation from the Qwilfish and Salazzle users, and Wishiwashi, while not good against water-immune opponents, is neat for being the only one to improve as you progress since schooling doesn't happen at low levels. Eevee's user has some good ideas, but I've been annoyed a few too many times at all the instances she could've taken down a shield with quick attack but decided helping hand was the right choice™.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Martin is the worst, but did you guys ever consider the ultimate power move (courtesy of a mandjtv video)? TAUNT his Solrock, forcing him to attack.

Helping Hand should do something extra when shields are up, because Eevee is a close second.

Apparently, I'm the only one who gets a correctly - predicting Wobbuffet, though it uses Safeguard too much.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
I think the worst Raid NPC is Wobbuffet, Solrock occasionally sneaks an attack every so often but Wobbuffet generally sucks at correctly predicting Counter or Mirror Coat. Marractus is somewhat handicapped the move it uses the most often (Solarbeam) is a two-turn attack useless you roll Torkoal or set up Max Flare.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Martin is the worst, but did you guys ever consider the ultimate power move (courtesy of a mandjtv video)? TAUNT his Solrock, forcing him to attack.

It's okay.

But it leads to a half dead turn, and if Solrock just dies in the process, then it's a waste.