• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 10th: SM74 - This Tough Old Geezer's the Island King?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry's Journey

The 2nd preview also features Tabu Bulu and Jessie with Mimikyu vs Pikachu and Ash. So all of these might happen in one episode, unless the preview was for upcoming episodes.

Umm I think the second part of yesterday's preview is the exact same footage from the preview of the upcoming episodes in Ula'Ula arc so I don't think it confirms the thrifty megamart thing happening in this episode.

Let's wait for wednesday preview to see what really happens oh and if they reveal the next episode titles we'll also have a better idea :p (I hope it's not more filler).

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I get the feeling like Jessie and Mimikyu will fail to use Let's Snuggle Forever and that will cause Ash to beat them.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
It would just feel like a complete rip off though. I can understand 'retired' companions coming back with random team spruce ups because their time as the main cast is done, but you're meant to be invested in the guys around right now, why skip over some important transitions in their development, especially when we've had half a series of them barely doing much at all (sure it was still fun in places but there was plenty of time to fit it in).

It just wouldn't fit in with SM's direction at all either, the series just feels WAY more character driven, they don't move around and get change ups because 'the story says so'. As mentioned even Ash and Team Rocket have been relaxed a bit from their old formula and made to take a new approach to make them feel like proactive characters again.

Also one of the things I REALLY like about all the team changes this series is they are immersed enough to feel like adopted siblings, what with more frequent interactions with the trainer's previous Pokemon and the other teams (see Snowy, Litten, and Marowak for key cases). Having all that done offscreen and assuming we went through all the development would disappoint me.
I’m sorry but SM is not character driven when 4 out of the main cast members have yet to be in an official battle and and three out of six have yet to have another capture. I hate to say it but even XY was treating their characters better. I use to really enjoy SM but the after the Aether arc it went downhill. It basically became the “Ash show”.

DatsRight

Battles aren't the pivot to being character driven. If anything SM had potential from deviating from battles non stop and having more unique ways for the twerps to be involved. The big problem however, is that it only seems to have thought up so many ideas out of this method, and the majority of them ironically still involve the battlers such as Ash and Kiawe.

Lillie and Sophocles have potential for example, since while their team isn't really battle experienced, they are established as the smart guys of the team, and their Pokemon have a number of more practical abilities to compensate for lack of brute force. The problem is that they never expanded on this much. There's only a few episodes their smarts have been made key and they've seldom expanded their Pokemon or their ability sets.

Granted even then we have those token efforts at least, those cases their personalities drive the plot, I struggle to remember previous series we even had those token efforts and things just reduced to COTD/TR plot lines where everything was just solved by beating up TR (who even the weakest battlers could defeat or be plot armoured against).

Even if it is mostly just the mainstays benefitting, I can at least credit it for that. There was nothing stopping this series being another travelling formula series with Ash going island to island with say Lillie and Hapu, and TR just doing their usual Pikachu nabbing schemes every episode. Instead however they're putting the two sides in very different situations where they are being made to change their approach dramatically.

Ash is being made to bulk up his experience by staying one place and being tutored by professionals. We also see him put in more situations he has to solve without just battling and be more improvisational and creative, along with dealing more directly with his team mates complexities (eg. getting told bluntly Lillie isn't just another perky sidekick, she's someone's little sister with a very delicate condition).

Team Rocket meanwhile is also stuck to one location, not just because Pikachu is there but Bewear is keeping them there. Thus they also need to improvise around being 'kidnapped' and also somehow keep up some flowing progress in front of their wary bosses. We see more cases of them making long term planning instead of just episodic Pokemon stealing plans, building a lair and for once trying to keep up with Ash's experience level by getting access to the Z Moves.

While neglecting the companions is disappointing, I can give the series credit just for showing these guys in a much more different light and direction than before.

Last edited:

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I get the feeling like Jessie and Mimikyu will fail to use Let's Snuggle Forever and that will cause Ash to beat them.
I feel that it will likely debut here because of it shown in the Ula'ula arc preview. Maybe Jessie tries to use the Z-Move once Mimikyu's disguise is busted and it makes her get angry and impatient.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
So the classmates aren't in these episodes?

Man, the screenwriters must hate Mallow and Sophocles even worse than I thought...:cautious:

And I guess this will be shorter than the Akala arc (they must hate the Island Trials too)

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
So the classmates aren't in these episodes?

Man, the screenwriters must hate Mallow and Sophocles even worse than I thought...:cautious:

And I guess this will be shorter than the Akala arc (they must hate the Island Trials too)

They are listed in the VA list, but they don't seem to have physically travelled to Ula'ula. It'll probably be a short scene of them saying bye to Ash.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Well, Ash almost didn't appear in the last episode, so there is nothing wrong if he gets a bit more screentime in this episode with the classmates not being g here. Even if the classmates did appear in this episode, they wouldn't have done much anyway with the focus being on Ash battling Nanu.

Zariful

I heard something about Nanu having Ash beat three of his Pokemon with just one. And Ash chooses Lycanroc. Is this an actual thing?

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
I heard something about Nanu having Ash beat three of his Pokemon with just one. And Ash chooses Lycanroc. Is this an actual thing?
Yes, in SM77.

Henry's Journey

Yeah I think Ash will lose against Nanu in this episode or maybe Lycanroc berserk out of control mode mades Nanu interrupt the battle.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Yeah I think Ash will lose against Nanu in this episode or maybe Lycanroc berserk out of control mode mades Nanu interrupt the battle.
Well yeah I can think of Lycanroc getting berserk for a reason Ash loses or the reason Nanu interrupts his battle. Probably after the battle Nanu likely suggests Ash to get Lycanroc to train with Tapu Bulu.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy

I'm not so certain that Ash will lose this fight. I mean, he would go from losing a one-on-one fight to having to win what amounts to a three-on-one fight. I doubt that Nanu would think Ash could handle it if he loses unless the reason for Ash's loss is solely on Lycanroc's behavior such as it goes berserk after getting dirty, but Nanu would likely end the battle if that happened. I could easily see Ash tying or barely eeking out a win by the skin of his teeth, with Lycanroc possibly fainting a moment after Krookodile does given what the Grand Trial consists of.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
Wow, so Nanu has a cat magazine (I assume so, what with Litten being on the front) and cat toys? He really loves his Alolan Meowth.

Status
Not open for further replies.