• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 11th: SM26 - Farewell, Māmane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
While I don't disagree with you, you should note that the Pikaclone has never, ever left the cast even temporarily since DP.

There is a first time for everything, y'know. ;)

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It does seem that he is leaving. His parents are seeking advice for moving elsewhere and the summary also says that Sophocles is sad about parting ways from his friends. Plus, the title clearly implies about Sophocles leaving- 'Farewell Mamane!', without any question marks, just like 'Farewell Ash-Greninja!'. Pretty much everything is implying that Sophocles is leaving. I really can't understand why people are thinking that it looks unlikely that Sophocles will leave.

Because Sophocles isn't a Pokémon who has been through a development arc. He is a human main character (who also happens to own this generation's marketable Pika-clone). As I mentioned in an earlier post, going by the summary, this episode has the potential to be that classic "kid thinks his parents are moving, only to find out it was all a misunderstanding." We may even get the classic "the parents decide to move across town or down the street, so the kid doesn't have to leave his friends after all" ending. Sophocles hears that his parents are seeking advice on moving, but does he hear it from them directly or does he overhear them talking with someone else?

I'm not saying Sophocles definitely will not leave, but now that we have a summary, my feeling that he won't leave has just increased. If he does leave, let it be for the sake of his character development (e.g., he is offered a position as a Trial Captain on Ula'ula Island, or some organization wants to hire him as a researcher and/or inventor, putting his skills to use), not because his parents are moving.

ShadowForce720

While I don't disagree with you, you should note that the Pikaclone has never, ever left the cast even temporarily since DP.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure back during X&Y that some people didn't think Clemont would leave temporarily as he had Chespin and people thought the writers would not allow him and Chespin to leave the main cast temporarily in the middle of the series and yet it happened, so I don't think a Pikaclone never leaving temporarily since DP is an issue as that can easily changed at anytime just like what was the case with Chespin.

Cat's Eye Draco

Yes, but I'm pretty sure back during X&Y that some people didn't think Clemont would leave temporarily as he had Chespin and people thought the writers would not allow him and Chespin to leave the main cast temporarily in the middle of the series and yet it happened, so I don't think a Pikaclone never leaving temporarily since DP is an issue as that can easily changed at anytime just like what was the case with Chespin.

I'm not sure why everyone's talking as though Clemont was absent for half the saga in this comparison. He was only gone for three episodes and had cameo appearances in each one. o_O

Last edited:

ShadowForce720

I'm not sure why everyone's talking as though Clemont was absent for half the saga in this comparison. He was only gone for three episodes and had a cameo appearance in each one. o_O

And yet the point still stands he did leave the group temporarily so it's not like you can just say that oh Sophocles won't leave temporarily since he has Togedemaru, and heck they could while he's gone from the group have a scene every now and again that shows what he's doing while he's away from the group. Will Sophocles leave the group or will he stay, will just have to wait and see but I don't think people should be dismissing either side saying that one's sides unlikely or won't happen because at this point we just don't know.

Last edited:

Spyro39

And yet the point still stands he did leave the group temporarily so it's not like you can just say that oh Sophocles won't leave temporarily since he has Togedemaru, and heck they could while he's gone from the group have a scene every now and again that shows what he's doing while he's away from the group. Will Sophocles leave the group or will he stay, will just have to wait and see but I don't think people should be dismissing either side saying that one's sides unlikely or won't happen because at this point we just don't know.

The circumstances for Clemont leaving the group was far different from Sophocles. Clemont left so he could prepare for his gym battle with Ash, and there was no way he was going to stay there after their battle was done. Sophocles on the other hand, has people thinking he's leaving permanently because his parents are supposedly moving away. So I don't know why people would use Clemont's departure as evidence for Sophocles supposedly leaving permanently.

Cat's Eye Draco

I didn't say that he wouldn't or couldn't leave temporarily. I'm just saying that Clemont's temporary absence might not be the best comparison when the circumstances of his leaving were fairly different to what Sophocles's would presumably be.

The circumstances for Clemont leaving the group was far different from Sophocles. Clemont left so he could prepare for his gym battle with Ash, and there was no way he was going to stay there after their battle was done. Sophocles on the other hand, has people thinking he's leaving permanently because his parents are supposedly moving away. So I don't know why people would use Clemont's departure as evidence for Sophocles supposedly leaving permanently.

Exactly.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
You know what...I honestly don't know what to make of this episode. I mean, logically it doesn't make sense to get rid of a main character at this point in time, but the title does have me thinking otherwise. It could be as something simple as Sophocles misinterpreting his parents actions, like other users have eluded to.

I just wish we knew exactly, how long Ash is going to be attending school, because if it's not going to be for much longer, then I could see some of these characters leaving, only for Ash to meet up with them later (them becoming Trial Captains and such), which means they'd go back to same old traveling formula, and I personally don't want to that. >_< However, if Ash is going to be attending school for a couple seasons or throughout most of the series, then it wouldn't make sense to get rid of characters, because it could get real boring if some of them end up leaving one by one. On the other hand, Sophocles could leave, but it doesn't mean the other characters will to, and they'll keep the same format. Ahh crap, I'm going in circles here, this isn't fun! :p

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Clemont technically didn't leave at all. We still had forced moments with him during that time. It was like he was still there....
There's no possible valid reason to send Sophocles away for a few episodes. Kiawe at least has family on another island. Sophocles lives on Melemele.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It's hard to tell whether or not Soph is leaving. Considering his lack of focus, I wouldn't miss him if he leaves.

Spyro39

lol watch them pull a fast one and sophocles only ends up moving two streets away or something.

Lol. Sophocles and the entire fan base getting all worked up about him moving away only to realize that it's just a few streets away. The reactions from him, his friends, and the fan base would be priceless.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Lol. Sophocles and the entire fan base getting all worked up about him moving away only to realize that it's just a few streets away. The reactions from him, his friends, and the fan base would be priceless.

Or, you know, if they decide to move closer to the school for some unexplained reason.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Sophocles must have some pretty awful parents if they're going to be that vague about where they're moving and torture their poor son like that. :p

Spyro39

Sophocles must have some pretty awful parents if they're going to be that vague about where they're moving and torture their poor son like that. :p

To be honest, Sophocles overheard his parents seeking advice about moving away, so he may have not heard the full details about what they were talking about. They didn't straight up tell him that they were moving away without telling him where.

Jangobadass

NOBODY EXPECTS A PALDEAN INQUISTION!
*reads summaries*

Oh -_-

*episode is almost over*
Sophocles: I thought we were moving.
Mom or Dad: Of course not! You just only heard part of the conversation and misunderstood us.
Sophocles: Yay, we're not moving after all!
Viewers: Dammit...

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I also hopes that he leaves, his character has been really boring and uninteresting to me.

He won't become lol. Trial Captains don't exist in the anime, this is pretty much clear now.

I haven't watch this anime yet; for real? I hear good things about this series, but I'm not really sure if it interests me.

Status
Not open for further replies.