• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 12th: SM121 - Mao's Valiant Effort! The Forest Pokémon Café!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Y'know, it might just be me, but I'm sensing a trend for the past few episodes. I can't really put it into words that well, but does anyone else feel like these are essentially a "part 2" of previous focus episodes?

Sophocles competed in a Charjabug race, then a Vikavolt race.

Lana fished Totem Wishiwashi, then Kyogre.

Mallow was helped by Oranguru, now she's going to help it in return.

Honestly, it's kind of a fitting end to reference older development episodes with different twists to them as a way of finishing up their development.

Part 2 might not be a good description since there's obviously more episodes that focused on them in-between, but it's the best I could come up with on short notice.

DatsRight

Y'know, it might just be me, but I'm sensing a trend for the past few episodes. I can't really put it into words that well, but does anyone else feel like these are essentially a "part 2" of previous focus episodes?

Sophocles competed in a Charjabug race, then a Vikavolt race.

Lana fished Totem Wishiwashi, then Kyogre.

Mallow was helped by Oranguru, now she's going to help it in return.

Honestly, it's kind of a fitting end to reference older development episodes with different twists to them as a way of finishing up their development.

Part 2 might not be a good description since there's obviously more episodes that focused on them in-between, but it's the best I could come up with on short notice.

Kiawe mentoring others with Z Moves also works as a bookend to his mentor role for Ash early on (also Ash helping him in the Marowak episode).

p96822

Evolve me please
Kiawe mentoring others with Z Moves also works as a bookend to his mentor role for Ash early on (also Ash helping him in the Marowak episode).

What are you talking about? Kiawe never taught Ash nothing about Z moves that was Tapu Koko.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Yeah, I mean you could sort of get it with BW and XY since they wanted to take themselves more seriously, and BW actually had TR as a serious threat for a change. SM however is primarily comedic, you'd think they'd thrive on having them do more tongue in cheek stuff with the twerps, but there's only really been a handful of episodes that have capitalised on them having ANY sort of funny chemistry, most of them only from Ultra Legends.

There hasn't really been any friendly moments at all this saga, best we got was Ash helping Mareanie... and that was it.
I wish we got another James/Serena type of episode, that was such a great episode...

A Mallow episode with TR? Then Tsareena is going to evolve. Oh wait...

Mega Tsareena confirmed

DatsRight

Mallow will have to forfeit the league due to Tsareena evolving into a tree. :p

There hasn't really been any friendly moments at all this saga, best we got was Ash helping Mareanie... and that was it.
I wish we got another James/Serena type of episode, that was such a great episode...

Stuff like the Pokebase and Phermosa episodes were fun, but they're so damn rare. SM really comedic approach could have been a return to the OS' dynamic, with the two sides frequently having funny banter and dynamics and everything being played much more tongue in cheek, but this happened once in a blue moon, even ironically in the actual Kanto episodes (though I liked Misty moaning about already beating TR the other day, should have had WAY more moments like that).

The twerps being weirded out by Bewear was the one consistency they didn't stonewall TR, and even that is more Bewear.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Mallow will have to forfeit the league due to Tsareena evolving into a tree. :p

Stuff like the Pokebase and Phermosa episodes were fun, but they're so damn rare. SM really comedic approach could have been a return to the OS' dynamic, with the two sides frequently having funny banter and dynamics and everything being played much more tongue in cheek, but this happened once in a blue moon, even ironically in the actual Kanto episodes (though I liked Misty moaning about already beating TR the other day, should have had WAY more moments like that).

The twerps being weirded out by Bewear was the one consistency they didn't stonewall TR, and even that is more Bewear.
Shoulda just focused this entire saga around the classmates as a baseball team.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Oooh so Meowth is just there to translate for the Green Twerpette. Makes sense.

Wait... why can't Rotom translate as well? It seems odd that Ash, Sophocles, and Olivia are helping at Aina Cafeteria.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Oooh so Meowth is just there to translate for the Green Twerpette. Makes sense.

Wait... why can't Rotom translate as well? It seems odd that Ash, Sophocles, and Olivia are helping at Aina Cafeteria.
Rotom hasn't been able to translate any other time, why would this be different?

Those 3 might be doing it for free food. Or perhaps Mallow just needs some extra hands.

Zoruagible

That's my point. It's a Pokémon that can speak human language as well. It SHOULD have that ability.

Another missed opportunity.
Rather than force Meowth to be all chummy with the twerps just to hear what a Pokemon is saying for the umpteenth time

Not to mention it'd actually make Rotom have more of a purpose... he barely gets to even do his job of being a Pokedex!

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
That's my point. It's a Pokémon that can speak human language as well. It SHOULD have that ability.

Rotom now thinks in Japanese/English, not in "Pokemon language". He shares this characteristic with Meowth who usually thinks out loud. Both Pokemon also have higher intelligence compared to others of their species - think how the Rotom-Wash acted when it was trapped in the Rotom Pokedex.

From what I've read about how language works, the language you "think" in depends on how you link a concept with that language. Since almost all of Rotom's intelligence came after he started speaking human, the Pokemon language would only occupy a small portion of his memories now. How easy is it for one to recall a specific memory from 5 years ago? 10 years ago?

He's had a lot of opportunities to converse with Pokemon and showed no ability to do so, so I'd wager he lost any native communication upon becoming a Pokedex.

Zoruagible

Really if Mallow caught more Pokemon then her restaurant then she would have more help.

I'm sure a certain starter from the Kanto region would have been loads of help...
Sucks she's the only one who didn't catch anything when her goal, much like Kiawe's can involve multiple Pokemon. Unlike the worst goal.... freaking bubbles, ugh

Leonhart

Imagineer
p96822 said:
Really if Mallow caught more Pokemon then her restaurant then she would have more help.

I agree, but I don't think the writers themselves even care enough about Mao's struggles to think that way given how infrequently her cooking hobby is brought up.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
Preview for the next episode of POKENCHI has new footage for this episode:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
I can't believe an animation director that last worked on the first part of the Groudon and Kyogre episodes. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how the episode has been animated.

nuzamaki90

I take back what I said, I don’t think anything is gonna come out of this episode for Mallow. If she was getting a Z-Ring, I don’t see why her name was left out of the Z-Move boot camp summary. I mean, Lillie’s was too, but add in the fact that her artwork in PokeFan didn’t have her with a Z-Ring while everyone else did, I’m thinking our girl is gonna be left out of this one.

At the most, I see a Gracidea being given to her. Please let me be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.