• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 12th: XY&Z026 - Rival Showdown! Ash VS Shota!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

Lol, and Sawyer puts ALL his faith in Sceptile, what's your point?? At least Talonflame and Hawlucha can actually battle unlike Sawyer's other pokemon.

Except from what were seeing from the preview for the episode it's becoming quite clear that Clawitzer and Doublade are becoming formidable opponents as well.

AuraKshatriya

Yeah this definitely proves it.

Last time we saw Sawyer he had 5 badges, during that time to now Sawyer got 3 badges while Ash got zero. And with the iceberg badge no less.

Clearly anyone who thinks Ash's traveling companions, Team Rocket, random fillers aren't at least partially to blame for Ash's lack of progress can now be shown this.

Well, I'd definitely blame random fillers, Team Rocket, and Team Flare. Ash's companions having their own goals can sometimes derail Ash's pursuits, but it's also worth noting that he's grown stronger in part due to their presence as well. Citron is currently assisting in analyzing the Ash Greninja phenomenon, Serena has reassured Ash on multiple occasions and is there to support him when he's reckless or puts himself in harm's way, etc. So I do think that's less of an issue than everything else. Ash can be a bit narrow-minded at times when he goes too far down a certain path (be it "I want to get stronger", or anything else). His companions help keep him grounded, provide occasional training partners, and often help him strive to grow stronger to protect them.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
To be fair, he did get one shotted by a technical mega, that and and his team has plenty of coverage on those gyms. So he's good.

Also, I think Greninja going to learn Feint Attack. The way he disappeared in the preview reminds of that move. So his first Dark type stab move.

Pikachu and Hawlucha are not megas or potential megas.

Except from what were seeing from the preview for the episode it's becoming quite clear that Clawitzer and Doublade are becoming formidable opponents as well.

Except one hit in a preview doesn't mean anything. Hawlucha and Noivern could still both sweep Sawyer for all we know, previews are always misleading.

ShadowForce720

Pikachu and Hawlucha are not megas or potential megas.

Except one hit in a preview doesn't mean anything. Hawlucha and Noivern could still both sweep Sawyer for all we know, previews are always misleading.

Except that doesn't mean they're going to be sweeped either, we don't know how the battles are going to turn out, although I wouldn't be that surprised if it's shown that both Doublade and Clawitzer are able to hold there own and one of them winds up getting a win.

knightwolf09

Except that doesn't mean they're going to be sweeped either, we don't know how the battles are going to turn out, although I wouldn't be that surprised if it's shown that both Doublade and Clawitzer are able to hold there own and one of them winds up getting a win.

Considering that Noivern has almost nothing that could deal decent damage to Doublade, and Hawlucha has to deal with Ice Beam from a Sp.Atk monster. Ash's chances don't look that good.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Noivern better get a win here. Just let him win already

Also since Shouta doesnt have a Mega yet can we expect one more battle before the League?

I hope not. I'm tired of "Sawyer battle time" every few episodes, it's getting old fast. We never saw Gary or Paul popping up every few episodes.
Tierno and Trevor need battle/screen time too.

dman_dustin

Well, I'd definitely blame random fillers, Team Rocket, and Team Flare. Ash's companions having their own goals can sometimes derail Ash's pursuits, but it's also worth noting that he's grown stronger in part due to their presence as well. Citron is currently assisting in analyzing the Ash Greninja phenomenon, Serena has reassured Ash on multiple occasions and is there to support him when he's reckless or puts himself in harm's way, etc. So I do think that's less of an issue than everything else. Ash can be a bit narrow-minded at times when he goes too far down a certain path (be it "I want to get stronger", or anything else). His companions help keep him grounded, provide occasional training partners, and often help him strive to grow stronger to protect them.

I didn't necessarily mean that they were bad news and Ash should avoid having traveling companions with their own goals.

I'm just saying that they do sometimes divert attention from Ash's goal to theirs.

Again I'm not suggesting fault here, I'm not speaking realistically here. That while I'm sure Ash is better off with traveling companions, Ash might be able to accomplish things faster and more of it, if he didn't.

Of course I'm not saying it needs or should be changed. But to realize because of it, other trainers (rivals of Ash), Sawyer in particular are not hindered in such a way and could realistically grow faster than Ash can grow.

The issue with Sawyer though is that we're not seeing any onscreen success for it to be justified to Ash losing him in the league. Instead any success Sawyer does have is always something we don't see.

As I said before, because of the hindrance to Ash's goal, Sawyer can believably close the gap between Ash and himself. My issue comes from we're not seeing this gap close when they battle except for Sceptile, and then to suddenly be okay with Ash's other Pokemon struggling against Sawyer, or even Sawyer manages to beat Ash in the league, THAT is what's unbelievable.

If Ash didn't basically one shot Shelgon with Hawlucha, one shot Honedge with Pikachu and one shot Sceptile with Ash Greninja, I would be FAR more willing to accept Sawyer defeating Ash. Instead Sawyer is one shotted multiple times, hell Pokemon fan says as much Sceptile was one shotted by Ash Greninja (if I'm not mistaken).

So to see him only after 10 episodes being close in strength to Ash, with 3 badges including Wulfric's badge, a badge Ash is apparently struggling to get, doesn't feel justified. I've no problem with closing the gap for the league, and so it can be a down to the wire battle. But it should always still end with Ash being victorious.

But Pokemon isn't know for being realistic, so why bother thinking they would.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys

I said could, as in just because someone is doing good in a preview, doesn't mean they are gonna have a cake walk and win. The writers would be moronic to suddenly start one shotting Ash's pokemon now.

knightwolf09

I said could, as in just because someone is doing good in a preview, doesn't mean they are gonna have a cake walk and win. The writers would be moronic to suddenly start one shotting Ash's pokemon now.

Of course they won't one shot them, but the summary did say that Shota has studied up on Ash and came up with strategies to beat him. And since he's battled some of those pokemon before, of course he would bring out pokemon that would do well against them. It's basic pokemon strategy. There's more to pokemon battles than just power.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Wow Greninja being faster than Sceptile in the preview looked cool, plus I'm glad that we'll see Xerosic and Jenny as well. I'm just surprised that Sawyer defeated Wulfric.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I'm honestly shocked people are surprised that Sawyer was able to beat the last three gyms. Did you guys really think he would only get anime only badges

Yes. He hasn't shown any semblance of strength in what Ash has 'taught' him.

The fact that he surpassed Ash and got the Iceberg Badge already (possibly without a rematch) could be a huge hint at the League outcome.

Lucas MV

I don't know what do I want to happen here. I would prefer that Ash wins every single time against Sawyer, including the league.

But if Sawyer always losing to Ash prior the league might mean Ash losing to him at the league, then Ash better lose this one.

So, I hope Ash loses, so he can then beat Sawyer at the league and everything will be alright with the world.

The fact that he surpassed Ash and got the Iceberg Badge already (possibly without a rematch) could be a huge hint at the League outcome.

If anything, that would mean Ash is now the underdog and will defeat Sawyer at the league. Specially if Sawyer wins this one (or any other before the league for that matter).

ashsfuture

based on what the preview showed us,looks like shota is going to give Ash a real challenge this time and I also like the fact that Shota won the fairy, physic, and the icicle badge the same ones that Ash has plus he is going to obtain the icicle badge so at least he's not far behind, just by one badge no big deal. Anyway the main thing I want to see here is that Shota beats Ash in this battle mainly because like many have said if Ash wins this battle, then there's a good chance he might lose against Shota at the Kalos league, I would accept that more then Ash losing to Cameron in the Unova league since their league battle was their first and last battle. plus Shota wasn't introduced way late into the series.

Another thing is Ash and Greninja have still not mastered the Ash-Greninja form and honestly Ash beating Shota once again without even mastering Ash-Greninja and then losing to Shota at the league after mastering Ash-Greninja that really wouldn't work, so for this battle Ash needs to lose since for these 4 battles of the Ash-Greninja trial

.Ash vs Alain rematch- no conclusion "Ash faints"
Ash vs Diantha rematch-no conclusion/through basically Ash would have won "Ash faints"
.Ash vs Shota rematch- "most needed outcome Ash loses"
.Ash vs Wulfric- no victor yet

Still even with all this what about Team flare?

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
In a very weird scenario, they could always have Ash and Sawyer battle again, this time being Mega Sceptile and perfected Ash-Greninja where Greninja defeats Mega Sceptile and at the Kalos League, Mega Sceptile could come out on top. It might not be everyone's preferred cup of tea but I wouldn't mind it too much as strange as it sounds.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Of course they won't one shot them, but the summary did say that Shota has studied up on Ash and came up with strategies to beat him. And since he's battled some of those pokemon before, of course he would bring out pokemon that would do well against them. It's basic pokemon strategy. There's more to pokemon battles than just power.

Meh, he's tried that before and got one hit KO'd. Plus if anything, Slurpuff would of been better against Hawlucha(poor thing needs redemption anyways).

All I know is Ash better call out Noivern against Doublade first because to make the same stupid mistake two episodes apart would just be sad.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
As I said before, because of the hindrance to Ash's goal, Sawyer can believably close the gap between Ash and himself. My issue comes from we're not seeing this gap close when they battle except for Sceptile, and then to suddenly be okay with Ash's other Pokemon struggling against Sawyer, or even Sawyer manages to beat Ash in the league, THAT is what's unbelievable.

Don't you love it when "show, don't tell" is utterly violated?

I'm really sick of the rivalries that don't have the characters interact. Flashy battles are just dangling keys if there is no character interaction behind them. We barely get to see Ash and Sawyer interact let alone Tierno and Trevor.

NihilisticNoivern

Does this forum ever do anything but complain? I'm newer here, but I've watched this and played this from the very start, and I've spectated all of these threads for a few years, mainly for spoilers and clever takes on what's up. But I've noticed that just under half of people are really stoked about any given episode, whether their theories are outlandish or not, and over half are always saltier than McDonald's fries over aspects of the episode. This is not Breaking Bad. This is not The Wire. This is not House of Cards. This is an anime that is written for 5-12 year olds specifically. Mainly to sell toys and games, as well. And here we are with people losing their minds over plot points that aren't believable, when really they should be focused on the fact that the head honchos down at Pokemon Inc. likely pay attention to the biggest fan site out there for their franchise and try to do right by us. DP Ash to strong, too OP? Lets give him a fresh start. Unova Ash too incompetent, all around garbage? Give him character development, amazing travelling companions, and a strong (for the most part, believably) team? Up to and including the most hyped and frankly (so far) well done arc of the series excluding leagues? Nah those writers suck. Good lord.

Afrodisiac

break up w yo gf, im bored
Don't you love it when "show, don't tell" is utterly violated?

I'm really sick of the rivalries that don't have the characters interact. Flashy battles are just dangling keys if there is no character interaction behind them. We barely get to see Ash and Sawyer interact let alone Tierno and Trevor.

Agreed. Sawyer at this point is just a generic boy, even Alain has developed a stronger bond with Ash in just 2 episodes.

knightwolf09

Does this forum ever do anything but complain? I'm newer here, but I've watched this and played this from the very start, and I've spectated all of these threads for a few years, mainly for spoilers and clever takes on what's up. But I've noticed that just under half of people are really stoked about any given episode, whether their theories are outlandish or not, and over half are always saltier than McDonald's fries over aspects of the episode. This is not Breaking Bad. This is not The Wire. This is not House of Cards. This is an anime that is written for 5-12 year olds specifically. Mainly to sell toys and games, as well. And here we are with people losing their minds over plot points that aren't believable, when really they should be focused on the fact that the head honchos down at Pokemon Inc. likely pay attention to the biggest fan site out there for their franchise and try to do right by us. DP Ash to strong, too OP? Lets give him a fresh start. Unova Ash too incompetent, all around garbage? Give him character development, amazing travelling companions, and a strong (for the most part, believably) team? Up to and including the most hyped and frankly (so far) well done arc of the series excluding leagues? Nah those writers suck. Good lord.

Welcome to internet forums, bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.