• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 13th: PM2019 110 - The Traitorous Battle Royal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 384931

Imo Cinderace's win rate depends on the location it's in

In an Open area with wide spaces like a Field or an Arena, Cinderace usually wins

In tight closed areas like Caves or Forests, Cinderace will usually job
God that is freaking sad honestly.
Long reply again.

Goh and Raboot had been battling a few times since episode 7.

Zapdos was on the defense and was trying to leave the match. It deflected or shrugged off pretty much anything that came its way. Raboot got one good hit in and knocked it down, but Zapdos was completely fine after that.

Type advantages aren't everything, especially in the anime. The battle made it clear that Raboot had a speed and field advantage, which let them work around the type advantage. Plus we don't know how skilled Oleana even is because this was her only battle.

None of those Pokemon held their own. Mewtwo just deflected their attacks or played with them until it decided to knock them out.

His Scizor was powerful even before Goh caught it, and it's an evolved Pokemon with a type. Plus it's evolved and had several advantages over Farfetch'd, who still managed to do well. They're both good Pokemon.

None of his Pokemon could hit Zapdos either, except for the surprise Blaze Kick. The whole fight was also there to show how inexperienced he is in comparison to Ash and Gary.

He asked what types are good against it. Which is pretty reasonable, especially when he's never even seen an Alolan Ninetales before and no other Pokemon has that same type combination. In the actual fight, Cinderace does fairly well.

One attack missed, and Toxicroak got one attack in before the match was interrupted. That's not indicative of anything one way of the other.

Drizzile needed more screentime, but its win is hardly an issue. Inteleon are naturally stronger than Drizzile, who was only slightly weaker than a rando's Kecleon.

Same with Ash - they were fighting mirrors. Cynthia had to circumvent the mirrors entirely by using a move that hit the Pokemon AND the Unown that created them.

Goh used Mantyke to trap the Pokemon, because in a one-on-one fight, Inteleon was losing. Even then, it didn't beat the Pokemon - it just weakened it enough for Goh to catch it.

Team Rocket are jobbers and we know that Gacha Pokemon vary wildly in quality.

Boldore was on-screen for less than two minutes and went down to the first attack Articuno threw at it. (Which was Sheer Cold, for reference.)
I just gave my opinion on how I found these battles. Glad you countered it! This is what makes discussion so fun!

Gingertail24

Honestly character going from rookie to skilled was always a problem on the anime. Even before XY and Serena. I remember many people thinking most of mays contest wins and battles were Bs. Especially how she beat Brock (I remember her evee taking multiple hits but she suddenly had a come back and beat him with a few hits). Though I don't remember the battle much so anyone can correct me.

It feels like the anime has a hard time showing natural ski progression. Especially when they use fodder like TR to try to boost the characters. For example, koharu evee managing to hurt one of matori matrix member elite pokemon. Yeah it's not that serious because it's not like she has a full battle and she had support. But mind you, I don't think evee ever battled by that point

Anyways, even though goh has issues in this as well (idk I feel even if Zapdos was weakened ,it still should of sweeped the floor with raboot, but just imo) ,I feel like his case compared to the likes of other characters (like Lana and sopochles) is much more believable

Zweilous

Go-ing for Gold

I just gave my opinion on how I found these battles. Glad you countered it! This is what makes discussion so fun!
No YOU'RE fun. And sorry if my post came off as too harsh or anything, I was worried about that.

Landton

If you honestly think that Cinderace "held its own" against Mewtwo, you were clearly not watching the same battle. Mewtwo was literally toying with Lucario/Cinderace the whole fight and barely using its strength. He even has a line, "Are we done?" when they get toward the end of the fight.

People somehow twisting this into think Go or Cinderace (or even Lucario at the time) were as strong as Mewtwo makes me laugh. It's like you guys can't comprehend what you're seeing in the show.

Gingertail24

Goh is the writers pet, his skills depends on the episode plot armor but he should perform badly in battle, he has other skill but battling isn't one of them.
Let's be honest. Many characters are like this. If the writers want a character to win, they'll win no matter what. Happened with:
May vs Brock
May vs dawn
Mallow vs TR
Serena
Etc

Gingertail24

If you honestly think that Cinderace "held its own" against Mewtwo, you were clearly not watching the same battle. Mewtwo was literally toying with Lucario/Cinderace the whole fight and barely using its strength. He even has a line, "Are we done?" when they get toward the end of the fight.

People somehow twisting this into think Go or Cinderace (or even Lucario at the time) were as strong as Mewtwo makes me laugh. It's like you guys can't comprehend what you're seeing in the show.
The issue might be more of Pikachu getting immediately knocked out, while cinderace lasted longer. If mewtwo is just toying with cinderace and Lucario, so he would be doing the same with Pikachu. Yet Pikachu lasted 5 seconds. At least I thinks that's the issue some have with the batti

D

Deleted member 384931

No YOU'RE fun. And sorry if my post came off as too harsh or anything, I was worried about that.
Nah. People can disagree or see things differently. I am fine with that. Some people just like to insult the person they are discussing with and THAT is what I cant stand.
Let's be honest. Many characters are like this. If the writers want a character to win, they'll win no matter what. Happened with:
May vs Brock
May vs dawn
Mallow vs TR
Serena
Etc
It is true, no point denying that. Tho with Gou it is a little bit TOO obvious in my opinion

DatsRight

May vs Brock
May vs dawn
Mallow vs TR
Serena
Etc
I mean in the end they at least admited that Mallow beating up Meowth doesn't really mean a lot in terms of skill. The problem was it didn't show an improvement in writing. They know what skill progression actually is but Mallow's defeat via an actual trainer was her last battle, she didn't have to time to have real improvement and Journeys hasn't really shown them refining that course with other characters, besides perhaps that they put Goh in more pressurous cases where he actually loses more often than the girls, if still randomly.

DatsRight

Again I think the problem might be different here. The girls had the issue of regularly being plot armoured to look powerful in superficial ways to try and hide their lack of development (eg. always being given worse opponents or plot armoured boosts whenever they risked losing or even just calling off the battle altogether when they realistically can't win). As I mentioned in a previous thread, the girls tend to remain kind of unremarkable in terms of competence, just they tend to avoid having them get their ass kicked as much as possible, XY-SM girls only got KOed ONCE EVER.

Goh sort of kind of has proper skill demonstration and the right win/lose ratio to demonstrate how fallible he is, but the problem is that it's TOTALLY random. One battle he'll struggle or job instantly, another he'll last longer than Ash or win with little effort. His power level is completely erratic. It's almost like the episodes are out of order.

The girls are carried through in spite of stagnancy. They don't seem to remotely know WHAT they're doing with Goh.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I would trace the power scaling of this series to how Journeys abuses off-screen training. Iris I can understand because being away from the screen for so long made the passage of time feel sensible (let's put aside how time passes and nobody ages for a second). Whatever happens in this series is not acceptable. We watch it week to week. Show us what's happening off-screen rather than letting us infer it.

BlueDragonfangirl

Honesty, Goh reminds me of Iris. I remember back in the BW days how she caught a Dragonite and won battles with an uncontrolled one and people in BW series these characters accepted it as a legit win.

I think back to the kanto days when Charizard lost do to not listening to Ash.

Landton

Honesty, Goh reminds me of Iris. I remember back in the BW days how she caught a Dragonite and won battles with an uncontrolled one and people in BW series these characters accepted it as a legit win.
Iris' Dragonite only won battles in the Junior Cup and she was called out for it. Her Dragonite lost every battle afterward (to Ash's Krookodile, to Claire, Drayden), and Ash would have beat it with Charizard had N not interrupted it.

DatsRight

I mean they did at least start calling that out after a while and Iris tried to actually tame Dragonite.

A better effort than say, Misty's deus ex Psyduck who was the crutch of nearly ALL her battles.

BlueDragonfangirl

Iris' Dragonite only won battles in the Junior Cup and she was called out for it. Her Dragonite lost every battle afterward (to Ash's Krookodile, to Claire, Drayden), and Ash would have beat it with Charizard had N not interrupted it.
I mean they did at least start calling that out after a while and Iris tried to actually tame Dragonite.

A better effort than say, Misty's deus ex Psyduck who was the crutch of nearly ALL her battles.
I hated it so much, every flipping time that happened. Has Goh not been called out on yet?

I‘m not an avid watcher for Journey’s I just watch when I see something I like, example masters 8.

Or when an old time friends return.

Gingertail24

I would trace the power scaling of this series to how Journeys abuses off-screen training. Iris I can understand because being away from the screen for so long made the passage of time feel sensible (let's put aside how time passes and nobody ages for a second). Whatever happens in this series is not acceptable. We watch it week to week. Show us what's happening off-screen rather than letting us infer it.
Yep, they did this when Lucario did that spirit bomb aura sphere . We saw flashbacks of him training with everyone. Even though the viewers never saw that . Found that scene so forced and awkward

Status
Not open for further replies.