• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 13th: PM2019 110 - The Traitorous Battle Royal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace-Barn

#Tokio&Nickit
Oh hey Ace Barn haven't seen you in a while
Got into the show for alt. protagonist and 'catch them all', neither of which have have had real focus recently, so I've sort of tuned out of the show.

No need to be a Negative Nancy in the threads when I can just invest my time elsewhere.
What do you guys think of the idea of Goh giving away Grookey to Tokio and Inteleon to Asahi?

That way Goh can have a fresh start with Cinderace by his side by the end of the series?
I agree with others that I can't see him giving them up, and it would be easy enough for the writers to leave all 3 starters behind. They may be Goh's starter/ most used pokemon, but none of them is Pikachu relevant.

I'm also not sure that Grookey-Tokio would be a thing. Yes he has Bayleef, so people initially suspected Grass/ Psychic trainer, but he specified that he is only going after psychic types.
No reason for Horace/Tokio to not be one of the final three chasers because they wouldn’t brought him back in the first place if he was not going to be picked
I'm just going off of the summary. You're right that they don't need to drop him from the Chasers since there is no current alternative set up.

But at the same time Tokio could be the Chaser Raihan/Flint to Chaser Alain (who came out of nowhere). So it isn't a possibility that I'm ruling out.

Gingertail24

Got into the show for alt. protagonist and 'catch them all', neither of which have have had real focus recently, so I've sort of tuned out of the show.

No need to be a Negative Nancy in the threads when I can just invest my time elsewhere.

I agree with others that I can't see him giving them up, and it would be easy enough for the writers to leave all 3 starters behind. They may be Goh's starter/ most used pokemon, but none of them is Pikachu relevant.

I'm also not sure that Grookey-Tokio would be a thing. Yes he has Bayleef, so people initially suspected Grass/ Psychic trainer, but he specified that he is only going after psychic types.

I'm just going off of the summary. You're right that they don't need to drop him from the Chasers since there is no current alternative set up.

But at the same time Tokio could be the Chaser Raihan/Flint to Chaser Alain (who came out of nowhere). So it isn't a possibility that I'm ruling out.
Honestly I just can't see goh leaving any of his starters

ShadowForce720

But why do all that. Instead of just having new character with the starters?
Because Goh is an already an established character that isn’t specifically tied to one region and represents one of the major mechanics of Pokémon.

Plus Goh is going to have more access to a large pool of Pokémon then any new character that would be created to replace him. Sure you might not like how his Pokémon are handled, but from a marketing perspective Goh is extremely useful.

As they can just have his Pokémon just casually show up or have him use them in future episodes, with Goh they don’t really have to worry about a limit to the number of Pokémon he catches or has so they are able to have more Pokémon to use.

I mean really from a marketing perspective there are more perks to just keeping Goh rather then replacing him with a character that is only going to have a team or 3, 4 or if were really lucky 5-7 Pokémon.

In some ways as much as some people may not like it Goh is a marketing gold mine.

Gingertail24

Because Goh is an already an established character that isn’t specifically tied to one region and represents one of the major mechanics of Pokémon.

Plus Goh is going to have more access to a large pool of Pokémon then any new character that would be created to replace him. Sure you might not like how his Pokémon are handled, but from a marketing perspective Goh is extremely useful.

As they can just have his Pokémon just casually show up or have him use them in future episodes, with Goh they don’t really have to worry about a limit to the number of Pokémon he catches or has so they are able to have more Pokémon to use.

I mean really from a marketing perspective there are more perks to just keeping Goh rather then replacing him with a character that is only going to have a team or 3, 4 or if were really lucky 5-7 Pokémon.

In some ways as much as some people may not like it Goh is a marketing gold mine.
If they didn't want to tie him down, don't give him three starters of the current gen. And how is he useful? Because he has a whole bunch of Pokemon the anime barely gives any screentime to?

From a marketing perspective, goh is the same like any other character. They only really market his starters, every other pokemon he has is irrelevant. Especially since they drastically slowed down on his captures

Goh being an established character doesn't mean anything. It literally takes one episode to establish the new characters.

ShadowForce720

If they didn't want to tie him down, don't give him three starters of the current gen. And how is he useful? Because he has a whole bunch of Pokemon the anime barely gives any screentime to?

From a marketing perspective, goh is the same like any other character. They only really market his starters, every other pokemon he has is irrelevant. Especially since they drastically slowed down on his captures

Goh being an established character doesn't mean anything. It literally takes one episode to establish the new characters.
Actually no, he is not the same like any other character because he can pretty much pull out any Pokémon whenever the writers need him to. They also are able to just have his Pokémon appear in the background from time to time when he is at his hub.

Also no, him having all 3 Galar starters doesn’t tie him down as they can have them stay at the lab most of the time where he just takes Cinderace and winds up having a gen 9 starter.

Gingertail24

Actually no, he is not the same like any other character because he can pretty much pull out any Pokémon whenever the writers need him to. They also are able to just have his Pokémon appear in the background from time to time when he is at his hub.

Also no, him having all 3 Galar starters doesn’t tie him down as they can have them stay at the lab most of the time where he just takes Cinderace and winds up having a gen 9 starter.
The writers don't care about goh other pokemon. They had every character before goh have a limited team. Wasn't a problem for them before, isn't gonna be a problem for them in the future. And yes it does. It'll be odd he keeps cinderace, but grookey, the one constantly on his shoulder and his other most prominent pokemon Inteleon just randomly aren't there? Yeah no

It's like if Ash randomly takes rowlet but leaves Litten....

ShadowForce720

The writers don't care about goh other pokemon. They had every character before goh have a limited team. Wasn't a problem for them before, isn't gonna be a problem for them in the future. And yes it does. It'll be odd he keeps cinderace, but grookey, the one constantly on his shoulder and his other most prominent pokemon Inteleon just randomly aren't there? Yeah no

No, it’s not because he would still technically have access to Grookey and Inteleon, and they could appear from time to time, they just wouldn’t be appearing as often with him or constantly with him likely they are now.

Also one considers odd is completely subjective and opinion based meaning it doesn’t have any actual effect on whether it actually happens or not.

Gingertail24

No, it’s not because he would still technically have access to Grookey and Inteleon, and they could appear from time to time, they just wouldn’t be appearing as often with him or constantly with him likely they are now.

Also one considers odd is completely subjective and opinion based meaning it doesn’t have any actual effect on whether it actually happens or not.
It is. If they didn't want to have this issue, why tie him down to three starters of the current gen and then mostly show him with those starters only. And then have most of his character arc tied around the three starters.

It's easier to have a new character with a new goals instead of redoing project mew and try to write an odd reason why goh would just leave his starters

solrocknroll

S-Class Indigo League Fan
Honestly, Goh’s starter should have just been Eevee, and then he gets Scorbunny as his second Pokémon. That way, they could keep him current forever.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master

I dunno.

He could just leave them behind for some unspecified reason. Or just rotate them out for Gen 9 starters. Or heck, are we even sure if the anime would be that focused on the Gen 9 region?

Much of Galar remains unexplored by this point, and it's clear that Journeys has been banking on old gimmicks from older games that may in fact no longer be on sale anymore.

Gingertail24

I dunno.

He could just leave them behind for some unspecified reason. Or just rotate them out for Gen 9 starters. Or heck, are we even sure if the anime would be that focused on the Gen 9 region?

Much of Galar remains unexplored by this point, and it's clear that Journeys has been banking on old gimmicks from older games that may in fact no longer be on sale anymore.
The thing is companion never leave there starters. It's their signature pokemon. Like it or not, goh is heavily featured along cinderace,grookey, and Inteleon. Literally gave him three of the most iconic pokemon from this gen. He isn't leaving them behind.

They said the climax of journeys is close. Basically saying they aren't rotating gen 9 into it.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Woah woah. I dont think lillie will ever surpass dawn or may interms of strenght....
Oh no you misinterpreted what I was saying, I was talking about the potential IF they go the USUM route, which is making her a full fledged trainer focused on battling. Considering her analytical skills, her smarts and Magearna and A. ninetales if it evolves, her going the USUM route would probably lead to her becoming a heavily competent battler

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Status
Not open for further replies.