• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 27th: PM2019 112 - A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
It might not be a good excuse for you, but it is what it is. If DP has showed us anything, Paul will always jump on the chance to get stronger and be more competitive, as long as he can do it without being burdened (though this may change). DP went to great lengths to showed how Ash and Paul are essentially two faces of the same coin. It's pretty ironic you can make the bolded statement but somehow think Paul is the exception to it.

And the Gym + traveling around argument can be applied to Ash as well, which as you know, he's not doing in this series. Besides, nothing about Paul stated that he only needs to travel around. He only travels to wherever he can take the next big step, otherwise (as shown in the Veilstone episodes) he can retreat to a home base to take a breather and take the next step where he needs to go.
Ash is a Champion and as far as we are aware has travelled through more regions than Paul has so it’s different. And you are right with this statement “Paul will always jump on the chance to get stronger and be more competitive, as long as he can do it without being burdened” I just think this applies to almost every other person in the Master Class (they wouldn’t be there if that wasn’t the case). It virtually applies to everyone even beyond the Master Class. Most people in the PWC are competitive and want to have opportunities of getting stronger. Also when I made that statement I wasn't excluding Paul but instead I was just saying that the specific reason you mentioned isn't an exclusive reality to only Paul and therefor should not guarantee him a spot.

I also made the bolded statement because I feel like people took the “they’re images of each other!” and took that to a greater extreme. It’s ignoring the fact that it’s possible having similarities but not doing everything another person does. This is the same type of narrative being used to justify that he must be strong just because Ash is at the moment. Sasuke and Naruto were displayed as being two sides of the same coin and implied multiple times throughout the series but they ended in different places despite that being true. Ash competing in the PWC, being Champion tier and being in the Master Class doesn't mean Paul should be or is even doing that.

Last edited:

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
That would be highly out of character for him, given the type of person he is. Being in the M8 but being kicked out by a strong trainer, is a far better explanation.
Let's be honest here. We don't even know what character or type of person Paul is at this stage. We haven't seen him in 10 years and last we saw him he started changing his ways. There is no certain way to tell if Paul in Journeys is identical to Paul in DP.

Claiming it would be OOC for Paul is lowkey ridiculous when you don't even know how or in what way Paul has changed or even how he will be presented in Journeys.

Additionally, I would prefer Paul having a compelling personal reason for choosing not to participate than a generic 'he lost off-screen' explanation which would be atrocious writing, and quite frankly lazy AF.

Last edited:

Ali.Frenstein

Let's be honest here. We don't even know what character or type of person Paul is at this stage. We haven't seen him in 10 years and last we saw him he started changing his ways. There is no certain way to tell if Paul in Journeys is identical to Paul in DP.

Additionally, I would prefer Paul having a compelling personal reason for choosing not to participate than a generic 'he lost off-screen' explanation which would be atrocious writing, and quite frankly lazy AF.

Actually we haven't seen Paul since September 2010 which is almost 12 years. It will definitely be very exciting to see him again after such a long time.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
The only way Paul would seek Ash out is to increase his own ranking in the PWC, but with the Masters Eight set in stone he can't do that right now.

Not necessarily. I'll say it once again, Paul is the type of person to challenge opponents to gauge where he is currently in strength. He's done it before with Cynthia and thought he was above Brandon but got a rude awakening and then tested himself against Ash at Lake Acuity.

After already losing to Ash in the Sinnoh League and now seeing Ash is one of the Top 8 trainers in this worldwide competition, it would be totally in character for him to challenge him to a battle to gauge where he himself is at.

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
To be honest, Paul seeing Ash on TV and deciding to have a friendly match with him to gauge his own strength seems way more in-character than him offering help to train against Cynthia. It will either be him contacting Ash, or those two will meet each other by accident. There’s no way that Ash will initiate the contact.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
or it could be another break, Frankly I wouldn't be surprised, we haven't had one in a while.
Wouldn't the next break be at the end of June when the next Urban Legends special takes their time slot?

AJ97

If Ash wins this fight Paul has no reason to appear outside of Project Mew stuff.
Maybe Ash gets matched with Cynthia and meets with her.
The latter mentions how she foresaw battling Ash and Paul one day and how it is coming true now (Call back to Sinnoh Episode).

It is revealed that Paul got knocked out of the Master Class by Cynthia or barely missed a chance of entering etc. Ash then calls Reggie who connects him to Paul and they have a lake valor training match in preparation for the Cynthia fight.

Much better theory than Ash losing a stupid Battle Royale and calling Paul out of the blue to boost his confidence or whatever.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
This thread took a weird turn but I’m here for it tbh
Meanwhile the inappopiate man:

ZomboDroid_04042022100532.jpg
What a king. That’s why he’s my favorite character in Masters.
Why do people need this grand explanation on how Paul didn’t make it in the Master Class… what if he just decided he didn’t wanna compete?
Tbh I’m expecting Paul to be concerned with tackling the Battle Frontier to eventually get a rematch with his dad Brandon. Would be the most satisfying follow up to his character imo.
Watch slowpoke episode 3.0 is revealed instead
Yes please

Status
Not open for further replies.