• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 27th: PM2019 112 - A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blood Red

【推しの子】
Best girl deserves it lol
ngl I gotta say, it's hard to get behind characters being handed Legendary or Mythical Pokémon for seemingly no reason; it feels way too fanfic-esque, and almost makes the character feel like a writer's pet or self-insert. Lillie's one of the worst examples of this, with how they gave her an unobtainable Pokémon just because they felt like it.

The frequency of characters just being handed Legendaries, Mythicals and Ultra Beasts (yes, including Ash with Melmetal) through incredibly contrived circumstances is one of the worst things about the last couple series.

Gingertail24

ngl I gotta say, it's hard to get behind characters being handed Legendary or Mythical Pokémon for seemingly no reason; it feels way too fanfic-esque, and almost makes the character feel like a writer's pet or self-insert. Lillie's one of the worst examples of this, with how they gave her an unobtainable Pokémon just because they felt like it.

The frequency of characters just being handed Legendaries, Mythicals and Ultra Beasts (yes, including Ash with Melmetal) through incredibly contrived circumstances is one of the worst things about the last couple series.
I mean it's not like megearna pushes Lillie into a competent trainer. She never used it to battle, and there are many characters that can wipe the floor with her. And her Vulpix is still weak. She didn't even catch the naganadel , as it seems gladion is the one that has the PokeBall

Blood Red

【推しの子】
I mean it's not like megearna pushes Lillie into a competent trainer. She never used it to battle, and there are many characters that can wipe the floor with her. And her Vulpix is still weak. She didn't even catch the naganadel , as it seems gladion is the one that has the PokeBall
The fact that she doesn't use it doesn't change the fact that she has it, and for no real reason either. Also, I know that Gladion owns Lillielego, which is also stupid; they didn't need to give the dude a shiny UB, especially when the one it really bonded to was Mohn.

Pokemonfan5

What's wrong with Ash getting Melmetal? There is whole backstory behind Magearna and Lillie also she need to work towards activating it rather than handed it to her with no effort behind it

Ash and Gladion can easily catch those mythical or ultra beasts with pokemon battles but how the capture happen is far more impactful than simple battling, it's not like Tobias who got legendary or mythical pokemons handed to him by writers to just to make him OP and stop Ash from winning Sinnoh league

Blood Red

【推しの子】
What's wrong with Ash getting Melmetal?
Because he just kinda...got it. They didn't really put any effort into making Melmetal feel special either; they just kinda gave Ash a Meltan, then it just kinda evolved, and it's just kinda...been there since then. Its friendship with Rowlet was cute, but I don't get why it had to be a Melmetal, of all things. Why not use some other random Pokémon?

Just compare Melmetal with all the Legendaries and Mythicals Ash has bonded with along the way, especially something like Meloetta or Latias. Those, I'd be fine with; here, it almost felt like they were checking it off some list.
There is whole backstory behind Magearna and Lillie also she need to work towards activating it rather than handed it to her with no effort behind it
Or, just bear with me for a second, what if they didn't use a Magearna for this plot line at all? To this day, I think it's incredibly stupid that Mohn just so happened to find a shiny Mythical lying around in some shop, and that it later became some super-necessary macguffin to help move the 'find Mohn!' plot along.

I'll give it some credit: It was done far better than Ash getting a Melmetal. That being said, it still feels like the primary concern here was to somehow give Lillie an unobtainable Pokémon.
Ash and Gladion can easily catch those mythical or ultra beasts with pokemon battles but how the capture happen is far more impactful than simple battling, it's not like Tobias who got legendary or mythical pokemons handed to him by writers to just to make him OP and stop Ash from winning Sinnoh league
I agree with the 'how' of the capture being far more important, which is exactly what I dislike about Ash's Melmetal. Again, I wouldn't complain if it didn't feel like they were doing it because they HAD to.

Pokemonfan5

Because he just kinda...got it. They didn't really put any effort into making Melmetal feel special either; they just kinda gave Ash a Meltan, then it just kinda evolved, and it's just kinda...been there since then. Its friendship with Rowlet was cute, but I don't get why it had to be a Melmetal, of all things. Why not use some other random Pokémon?

Just compare Melmetal with all the Legendaries and Mythicals Ash has bonded with along the way, especially something like Meloetta or Latias. Those, I'd be fine with; here, it almost felt like they were checking it off some list.

Or, just bear with me for a second, what if they didn't use a Magearna for this plot line at all? To this day, I think it's incredibly stupid that Mohn just so happened to find a shiny Mythical lying around in some shop, and that it later became some super-necessary macguffin to help move the 'find Mohn!' plot along.

I'll give it some credit: It was done far better than Ash getting a Melmetal. That being said, it still feels like the primary concern here was to somehow give Lillie an unobtainable Pokémon.

I agree with the 'how' of the capture being far more important, which is exactly what I dislike about Ash's Melmetal. Again, I wouldn't complain if it didn't feel like they were doing it because they HAD to.
Because Melmetal is unknown pokemon whome nobody know about until Professor oak did some research while Meloetta is well known, Ash and Rowlet created a family bond with Melmetal which is bigger than Meloetta and Latias also perfectly fit with SM family theme

Meltan didn't randomly evolve as there was build up to it, it was motivated by Rowlet battle and want to help Ash win the league, Ash wasn't randomly handed over OP legendary that you're comparing with as it loses first battle unlike charactee like Tobias who got OP legends handed over to him by writers, from meltan capture to evolution it was greatly handle

Magearna is mythical pokemon and most of the mythical or legendaries had some mysterious power, like why Meloetta is connected to forces of nature? Why she can control them in anime? Nothing she is just a plot device for Team rocket two parter if Magearna is for mohn search, also does it matter that Magearna is shiny? For Lillie it didn't

Meltan capture was perfectly fit for SM theme, it can't go any better than that also Meltan and Melmetal was treated speical or mysterious pokemons throughout last season

Also why this fandom first complain about Ash wasn't allowed to catch any legends while Go or Tobias handed over legendaries easily but when Ash does capture one they complaint about why Ash need to capture legendary instead of normal pokemons? It's like fans just want to find a reason to complain

Last edited:

MegaSalamence05

As the issue is only from Sun and Moon. Zygarde makes sense from XYZ, No character from BW fully owned a Legendary. They may just be a simple COTD/POTD.

Considering 5 people all had claim towards their ambitions involving Legendaries, Mythicals and Ultra Beasts.

1.) Gladion - Silvally (Self explanatory), Lillilego (S-Nihilego) (Exceptional nickname props to whomever came up with this). These two are pretty simple to explain, Silvally is Gladion's Ace and comes from the games so no ddiscrepancy. While in turn narratively speaking it's a full circle moment involving Lillilego. The Ultra Beast that emotionally scarred Lillie to the point where experimentation was done to forget the initial encounter.
2.) Lillie - Magearna - The last tangible thing that connected her to her father regardless of if it was Shiny or not. But seriously who cares if Shiny Magearna is unobtainable in game I sure don't because the Anime doesn't equal the video games.
3.) Lana - Manaphy - Obsession with the sea, makes sense with Manaphy being the Prince of the Sea.
4.) Mallow - Shaymin - This was related to her mom. As no other Pokemon properly filled the description of having a main character's parent pass away.
Can't get rid of this table for whatever reason apologies.
5.) Ash - Solgaleo, Naganadel and Melmetal. As this is where the vitriol from other users while my opinion stems from how it was presented. 3 separate arcs at different points in the show.

The Cosmog story was swapped from Lillie to Ash for two reasons. 1: Lillie in the Anime doesn't equal the games in regards to temperament at the start and it only changed after the conspiracy of human experimentation was uncovered. 2: Lillie was still involved but not the main focus because Ash is the main character of the anime.

The Naganadel story as a whole should've been more focused with Gladion instead of Melmetal. This is one thing that should've happened. Silvally was literally created to fight Ultra Beasts and Ash had an Ultra Beast fight but not against the one thing that it was created to battle against it.

With Melmetal it's a little tough because of how the execution was. As soon as it was created and showed off. It was the 1 Mythical that seemed feasible for Ash to catch. Now with execution is key. It should've evolved vs Guzzlord and not at a radical dance party at Manalo Harbour. As Meltan gets discovered on Poni Island off the cliff near the Alter of the Sunne. (Should've been the Lake of the Moone because Meltan is based on Mercury, (The metallic substance). Due to the relationship in astrology and a play on words. Moone and Mercury as planets in astrology terms. Moon is creativity while Mercury is intellect and communication. (Sound emission that Meltan makes). Could've easily made that into into how Meltan was discovered on Ula Ula Island during the Nanu arc with Ash and Acerola.

I'm open for discussion.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Lillie’s Magearna is, indeed, shiny. The black one is the ‘original color’ form of the shiny, just like the red and gold one is the non-shiny’s original color.

Fun fact: Anime Lillie is the only person in the whole Pokémon universe who has a shiny Magearna; not even people who play the games have one yet.
So I guess it is good to be rich and get free gifts in life without doing anything

nuzamaki90

To be fair, it's been established that Mele-Mele Island is a tight knit community, and that Alola's all about sharing and celebrating.
I mean I’m definitely not turning down any opportunity to party but you know there’s always that one person that’s gotta call Officer Jenny for noise complaints

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
I think Lillie only has Magearna so she can have a strong Pokemon since for whatever reason the writers just refuse to evolve Snowy :/

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Then they wouldn’t have had Lillie keep the Ice Stone and play off Snowy’s reaction to it as it just not being ready to evolve yet.
I feel like the writers forgot about that considering it hasn't been brought up since

Also considering that had Serena's Braxien, Clemont's Bunnelby, and Iris' Axew evolve offscreen what is their excuse for not evolving Snowy by now?

Status
Not open for further replies.