• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 28th: PM2019 068 - Rivals for Go?! The Road to Mew!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowForce720

Sawyer, Gladion, Alain (imo) were good rivals, even better than everyone before Paul (yes, even Gary, who almost never showed up), what happens is that Paul set the bar very high

The opportunity was lost in BW, N must have been Ash's rival from a philosophical and moral point of view like in the games.
If I had to guess they might have been initially planning for that in BW, but the reasons why those plans changed was because of the Team Rocket vs Team Plasma episodes being banned and because of BW getting sequels instead of a 3rd version.

This also why Ash never battled Drayden, even though things were initially pointing in the direction of Ash battling Drayden for his 8th badge.

He was decent, the biggest minus for XY is that it didn't have memorable rivals.
To be fair, the only memorable rivals are Paul and Gary, the latter just for being Ash's first rivalry.

Some fans, especially SM fans, will say Gladio, but honestly, he's just another Sawyer when it comes to being '' memorable ''. Even people remember Alain more.

Anyway, as I said above, Paul put the bar very high and to this day there is no rival that comes close to him.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
After August 18th 2016, Alain became an unforgettable character for a lot of people

I have to say alain was a poor rival, if they were serious about making him a rial they should have made that in the start of series and not in last 30-35 episodes. Gladion was a better rival even if he was a watered down version in anime since he was established as a rival in early SM.

RafaSceptile

I have to say alain was a poor rival, if they were serious about making him a rial they should have made that in the start of series and not in last 30-35 episodes. Gladion was a better rival even if he was a watered down version in anime since he was established as a rival in early SM.
I mentioned this plenty of times before, but Alain was much better as a separated character with his own plot and story than as an Ash's rival.

But you mention '' memorable '', which is different

I think Gladio is decent, hhowever I think he is closer to sawyer than paul

Alain was not a rival, he was just a dude that battled with Ash.
They fought 3 times, he was very important in the TF Arc, appeared in many episodes and he even had specials

Yes, is definitely better than Harrison, Morrison, Hau, Cameron etc.

If Alain was not a rival , then everyone above and Trip would not be considered rivals either.

Alain is probably the most powerful anime male rival who has fought Ash, after Leon.

Jeal

They fought 3 times, he was very important in the TF Arc, appeared in many episodes and he even had specials

Yes, is definitely better than Harrison, Morrison, Hau, Cameron etc.

If Alain was not a rival , then everyone above and Trip would not be considered rivals either.

Alain is probably the most powerful anime male rival who has fought Ash, after Leon.
Alain wasn't a rival. Rivals are people who compete for the same goal, or who want to be better than each other.

Ash and Alain weren't competing, nor did they wanted to be better than each other. Before the league, for Ash, Alain was a random guy he battled twice. He didn't even know if he was going to see this random guy ever again.

Psajdak

I have feeling that Go will start to actually use Suicune, and perhaps even Eternatus soon.

Pokemon seem to trust him A LOT, and I could see him (somehow) manage to become friends with Eternatus, no matter how much of a force of nature it seems to be.

Alain wasn't a rival. Rivals are people who compete for the same goal, or who want to be better than each other.

Ash and Alain weren't competing, nor did they wanted to be better than each other. Before the league, for Ash, Alain was a random guy he battled twice. He didn't even know if he was going to see this random guy ever again.
'' share the same goal ''

Alain: Be the strongest person using Mega Evolution

Ash: Pokemon Master

Okay, it's not the same although it involves the same effort in battle, so who else shares the same goal as Ash? Gary before changing targets?

So Ash has no rivals.

Status
Not open for further replies.