1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

May 31st: SM77 - Kuchinashi's Grand Trial! The Awakening of Lugarugan!!

Discussion in 'Animé Spoilers' started by Dephender, May 7, 2018.

1. Dephender

Dephender Gizakawayusu Staff Member Moderator

Kuchinashi assigns the Island Pilgrim Satoshi a "Grand Trial". The trial involves defeating three Pokémon in a row using only a single Pokémon. Satoshi takes the Grand Trial on together with the "Wolf Pokémon" Lugarugan, whom he has just overcome stern training together with.

------

Satoshi finally attempts Kuchinashi's Grand Trial. The Grand Trial involves defeating Kuchinashi's three Pokémon in a row using a single Pokémon. Will Satoshi and the others be able to demonstrate what they gained from the training and clear the Grand Trial?

Screenplay 米村正二 (Shōji Yonemura)
    Storyboard 樋口香里 (Kaori Higuchi)
    Episode Director 毛利和昭 (Kazuaki Mōri)
    Animation Director 大西雅也 (Masaya Onishi)

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Well-Known Member

Amazing. After doing nothing for around 40 episodes, the Lycanroc is getting some good focus. But i doubt he will be able to defeat 3 pokemon in a row unless the opponents are not that strong. Also, is it a trial or a grand trial??

3. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

I guess this episode's entire purpose is to give justification for obvious power gap in Ash's current team.

4. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 The Unbeatable Magician

Didn't see that coming. I like how original this one is if we compare it with the games.

5. 345ash-greninja

345ash-greninja XY(Z) is the best!!!

Man, this Grand Trial certainly has a heck of a criteria! Defeating 3 Pokemon in a row all by itself?!?!?! Dusk Lycanroc surely has a heck of a task cut out for it, but yeah, it'll obviously pull through because Ash is supposed to win all the trials. :D

6. Akkipeddi

Akkipeddi Gen VII = trash

Ash should win this. Even the title suggests that Lycanroc really is in full flow with its 'awakening'. Furthermore, the stern training suggests that Lycanroc probably lost in SM074 due to its red eye rage, and they've overcome it. Also, it'll be pretty pointless for Ash to lose here and take on Nanu again for a third time.

7. DatsRight

DatsRight Well-Known Member

Maybe we'll finally get some explanation to that 'red eye rage mode' thing.

8. Genaller

Genaller ChaSnorPea GreScepIn

Well if there was any doubt, we can now say with full confidence that Lycanroc is Ash’s Alolan Ace :D!

9. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lucario Lover

That's just dumb, Rowlet's had more than enough trial fights.
    But Torracat and Poipole need some action too! Torracat moreso as he's never participated in a Grand Trial, and was only in a single trial.
    Battles are rare enough as it is and they always favor Pikachu, Rowlet, and Lycanroc over the others

10. 345ash-greninja

I think the red-eyes rage mode thing will likely be sorted out in SM75 where it presumably confronts Tapu Bulu. But if the red-eyes thing is truly a power up/boost or so, then I expect Dusk Lycanroc to use it properly in this episode with good effect to win the battle.

11. xEryChan

xEryChan Ace Trainer Staff Member Moderator

I really hope we get to more into Lycanroc’s berserk mode in this episode. I’m hoping that maybe Lycanroc will learn a new move in this episode. Can’t wait for this one.

12. Rock Captain 99

Rock Captain 99 Well-Known Member

I am still in confusion whether it is a Grand Trial or simply a Trial? Seems like a trial to me as i don't see Ash sweeping three pokemon of an island kahuna with just a lycanroc. Also, what exactly this "Island Pilgrim" means?

13. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Super Sweet Sylveon

A Grand Trial that soon. However it seems tough that Ash has to defeat all three of Nanu's Pokémon using only Lycanroc. But at least it's good that Lycanroc is getting some more focus here and maybe here Ash could use Lycanroc's berserk state to his advantage to do a lot of damage to Nanu's Pokémon.

14. Jangobadass

Jangobadass Well-Known Member

Especially since Litten had a deep/dramatic backstory like many of the other aces.

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. 345ash-greninja

Well, defeating 3 Pokemon with 1 Pokemon seems to be a criteria of this Grand Trial. If the writers can have Ash sweep a Kahuna 2-0, why can't they have him sweep a Kahuna with just Lycanroc? Very much possible.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Genaller and Rock Captain 99 like this.
  16. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria Super Sweet Sylveon

Ash is battling an Island Kahuna, which is Nanu, and as of now it is not known if he is battling a Totem Pokémon (in a 'standard' Trial) as well which is very unlikely to happen so it will more likely be a Grand Trial. Island pilgrims refer to the trial-goers of the Alola region, those who participate in trials to overcome challenges.

Rock Captain 99 likes this.
  17. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja Master of Ninjutsu

A 3vs1 sounds really unfair. If it was Ash who's allowed to use three pokemon, then yeah, Ash is the challenger of the grand trial and Nanu as the "tester" who changes the rules for the challengers to have an advantage over him for whatever reason. I still wouldn't like that but I could live with that. But this way...nah.

I hope the battles are at least good.

18. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

Sigh, I was hoping Torracat and Pikachu would have been used here. What's worse is one of Nanu's three is likely Persian. Missed opportunity.

19. Rohanator

Rohanator Well-Known Member

This has potential if they make all 3 battles fairly hard, but if Lycanroc just low diff's the first two and then struggles against the third simply due to being a bit tired I don't see the point, I'd rather give Torracat and especially Poipole something as well.

20. FrozTKnight

FrozTKnight Will ORA ORA ORA you

Actually the defeating 3 Pokemon in a row is an awesome departure from the game. It makes the trial more unique from the others, wish they did this with the previous trial (even in the game).

And considering the Pokemon are wild and don't have a trainer its pretty fair.