• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 31st: SM77 - Kuchinashi's Grand Trial! The Awakening of Lugarugan!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
The title XY109 was "The Master Class Trial! What Will You Do, Serena!?", and many of us were confused if it would be the start of the Master Class Showcase while it was just Serena earning her 3rd key and qualifying for Master Class.

That's not really the same though. In SM, trials and grand trials are the key focus of this series, and they won't use these terms interchangeably. The summary clearly states "Grand Trial", so it's really not that complicated to understand that it's an official battle against Nanu the Kahuna.

Blaze Master X

The Fallen Hero
The title XY109 was "The Master Class Trial! What Will You Do, Serena!?", and many of us were confused if it would be the start of the Master Class Showcase while it was just Serena earning her 3rd key and qualifying for Master Class.
XY109's title hasn't said The Master Class Showcase, It said The Master Class "Trial" .

The summary said Nanu assigns Ash a Grand Trial and he takes the Grand Trial on together with Lycanroc. It hasn't mentioned a normal trial challenge.

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
XY109's title hasn't said The Master Class Showcase, It said The Master Class "Trial" .

The summary said Nanu assigns Ash a Grand Trial and he takes the Grand Trial on together with Lycanroc. It hasn't mentioned a normal trial challenge.
Then why would Nanu "assign" ash the grand trial if they both just have to battle?

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
That example doesn't work, showcases were an anime only creation so fans were automatically assuming whatever they thought that made sense.

Not only has Ash already had two grand trials we have never had a misdirection where the title and summary lied about something being a grand trial.

I'm not entirely happy, since Ash's Pokemon in general continue not to be used, and I'm confused as to why there isn't a totem trial, where Ash gets another Z-crystal to use or something to that effect, but a Grand Trial is a grand trial, the only reason it wouldn't be the case is Nanu was making up the rules.

That's not really the same though. In SM, trials and grand trials are the key focus of this series, and they won't use these terms interchangeably. The summary clearly states "Grand Trial", so it's really not that complicated to understand that it's an official battle against Nanu the Kahuna.

I know that it is not the same but I just wanted to show that japanese titles can be confusing sometimes. As well, the summary doesn't indicate that it is Nanu who will have the three pokemon that Ash will battle.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Even if we assume for a moment that this isn't a grand trial, but rather, is about Nanu testing Ash by having him do a trial, the next logical thing would be for Ash to battle Nanu which would ideally be after SM077. However, SM078 is about Ultra Beasts, which is quite a big and sudden jump from all the Ula'ula focus. And I just don't believe that SM077 is a normal trial, SM078 is suddenly about UB's, and after that is the grand trial again. That feels way to random and jarring in terms of flow.

Oh and there's also the mention of stern training with Lycanroc. Looking at SM074, it definitely looks like Lycanroc's uncontrollable rage costs Ash the battle against Nanu, so it only makes sense that a new and improved Lycanroc after training returns to take on Nanu again.

Which is why I'm very confident that this is indeed the grand trial, and Ash will beat Nanu.

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
Though nothing can be said for sure as summaries and titles have been misleading many times. Take for example, summary for SM074 says, Ash and HIS FRIENDS have come to ula'ula, while his friends are nowhere seen, unless friends means his pokemon!

It does. I usually translate it as "Satoshi and the others" to account for that possibility, but slipped up that one time.
But yeah, if you see "Satoshi and the others/Satoshi and his friends" etc in an SM summary, it CAN refer to Satoshi and his Pokemon/Rotom, Kukui, etc. Don't assume it means his classmates unless it specifically says "and his classmates" or "and his friends from school".

D

Deleted member 384931

Ash will win it, cause there is an UB episode after it

Henry's Journey

Well, is it like this is the reverse of the Roxie gym battle back in BW? Lycanroc will probably beat all of 3 Nanu's mons, I wanted Torracat to battle Alolan Persian (if anime Nanu owns one) but I hope the battle turns out great.

It's looking likely Dusk Lycanroc is/will be Ash's ace in Alola.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Well there might be a chance Ash will win here, but I just find it weird Ash hasn't yet participated in a Trial in Ula'ula and taking on Nanu only spending 3 episodes in Ula'ula.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Well there might be a chance Ash will win here, but I just find it weird Ash hasn't yet participated in a Trial in Ula'ula and taking on Nanu only spending 3 episodes in Ula'ula.

Considering where the TR battle takes place, I think it counts as Ash's regular Trial. Nanu & Acerola even powered them up to make them more of a threat, if they do manage to become effective for a bit. Of course, if he loses to Nanu again (could happen, but unlikely), he'd have a reason to go do the Mount Hokulani Trial.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Considering where the TR battle takes place, I think it counts as Ash's regular Trial. Nanu & Acerola even powered them up to make them more of a threat, if they do manage to become effective for a bit. Of course, if he loses to Nanu again (could happen, but unlikely), he'd have a reason to go do the Mount Hokulani Trial.
Or maybe in this episode Nanu is simply training Ash to prepare him for other Ula'ula Trials and it's not a 'true' Grand Trial.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I told ya'll the Kahuna's can do whatever they want lol. There's no rule that trials HAVE to happen. The anime has clearly broken from the anime has to show off the game gyms rule so he doesn't have to do the trials in their entirety.

Also I'm happy Lycanroc is getting some love and most likely learning Stone Edge/Z move, but I hoped Rowlet could get some love here too, especially since he has an advantage against Nanu's pokemon where as Lycanroc is neutral unless his other pokemon are literally Honchkrow and Weavile.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
I like how the trials just keep getting bigger and bigger as his skill progresses. Ash v. Hala was one on one. Ash v. Olivia was two on two. Now it seems that Ash v. Nanu is one on three.

Now I'm kind of hoping for a one on six battle later in the series...

Rock Captain 99

Following the dreams!!
I like how the trials just keep getting bigger and bigger as his skill progresses. Ash v. Hala was one on one. Ash v. Olivia was two on two. Now it seems that Ash v. Nanu is one on three.

Now I'm kind of hoping for a one on six battle later in the series...

Ash vs hala was 2 on 2!

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
I told ya'll the Kahuna's can do whatever they want lol. There's no rule that trials HAVE to happen. The anime has clearly broken from the anime has to show off the game gyms rule so he doesn't have to do the trials in their entirety.

We don't know that Ash didn't complete at least on trail to qualify for the grand trail they can sneak one in either SM75 or SM76.

Status
Not open for further replies.