• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

May 5th: SM120 - Suiren Hooks a Kyogre?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I know Pokefan basically confirmed it, I just don't want to get my hopes up like I did with Dewpider just on the extreme off-chance it winds up being a new move, or something. But I know it's almost certainly evolution.
She has Primarina's Z-crystal, there's really no doubt about what will happen.

pancakemonster

Alola...home...
Evolution aside, there's an image in the thing Dephender posted where just Ash and Lana are looking at Kyogre. I wonder if they'll get separated from the others somehow and be the only 2 to meet it, then have to try and fail to convince everyone else that they actually met it. I could easily see this being a "boy that cried wolf" joke after all the teasing she's done.

nuzamaki90

So PokeFan confirmed its evolving here. Which is strange because since it debuted I don’t even remember it making the slightest bubble.

Obviously it’ll do something in this episode but it evolving before Torracat who’s actually been somewhat active is jarring.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Disappointing. It sounds like a rehash of the totem Wishiwashi episode, where she fished it and Popplio first used Hydro Vortex.

The only similarity we know so far is that she fishes it up. Also, fishing is what Lana does. She's a fisherman, after all.

Also, Popplio didn't use Hydro Vortex until after that episode.

dman_dustin

Praise Arceus for that!

Brionne evolving is still stupidly rushed though

Taking a guess, they really wanted Lana with a Primarina, and so they wanted to fully evolve Popplio, so I don't think, assuming Brionne is considered "ugly" by the producers, that Brionne was going to last as long as we would think.

RashSkies

I don't mind Brionne evolving so soon, the series is almost over and both Lana and Popplio have shown interest in singing AND Popplio's final form all the way back in episodes 56 and 84 (remember Mina's painting?). Battling isn't the only factor to consider here, Popplio has shown will to evolve and Lana has been training it throughout the whole series. That and personally I'm just way more insterested in seeing Primarina animated than Brionne, lol

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I don't mind Brionne evolving so soon, the series is almost over and both Lana and Popplio have shown interest in singing AND Popplio's final form all the way back in episodes 56 and 84 (remember Mina's painting?). Battling isn't the only factor to consider here, Popplio has shown will to evolve and Lana has been training it throughout the whole series. That and personally I'm just way more insterested in seeing Primarina animated than Brionne, lol
Also, Lana getting Primarium was essentially confirmation that she will be getting Primarina, even before the PokeFan leak.

TheWanderingMist

Praise Arceus for that!

Brionne evolving is still stupidly rushed though
She's had Brionne for longer than Ash had Goomy and Sligoo combined.

TheWanderingMist

Goodra had reasoning, albeit a bad one. Brionne does NOT. -.-
Only Lana fans argue of course....
While it is true that Lana's my favorite, pretty sure Mallow's Bounsweet evolved even faster between Bounsweet and Steenee stages. Popplio should have evolved earlier, yes, but it's not anywhere close to rushed.

DatsRight

It's not so much being rushed as much they added ZERO substance in between. Brionne and Tsareena are arguably among the blandest of the main Pokemon right now, and they've lacked many personal challenges besides very easily beating up a few bad guys. Goodra was rushed but there was consistent character development and involvement and even some of similar bad guy face-offs were far more involving. Neither was a particular favourite approach for me due to the excess plot armour boosts going on in all of them nulling out when they should have developed actual agency, but I do think we at least got something of an endearing and involved character with Goodra. I just have no investment with Brionne or Tsareena, they're so flat and complacent, in fact they borderline tick me off. I was actually getting sick of the sight of Mallow and Lana until they got their secondaries.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
It's not so much being rushed as much they added ZERO substance in between. Brionne and Tsareena are arguably among the blandest of the main Pokemon right now, and they've lacked many personal challenges besides very easily beating up a few bad guys.

Mallow was given Bounsweet years before she even met Lana. With the presented timeline, Mallow's had her Bounsweet longer than Ash has had Pikachu. While I do agree that Tsareena is bland (an unfortunate effect of the evolution), her evolution was a long time coming.

As for Brionne, if we look at how Oceanic Operetta is basically a Z-Move version of Popplio's balloon making, her training to this point - first making balloons that wouldn't break and then having them grow bigger and stronger - is the catalyst for the evolution, and not simply "battle strength". Not all game evolutions are triggered by the level up, so perhaps in this case the balloon skill is the requirement for Popplio line evolutions.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I'll bring up the obvious since no one else has.

Charmander participated in, what? 3 battles before it evolved? And spent all of about four episodes as a Charmeleon? Nobody complained about Charmander's rapid growth spurt. Hell, I was excited to see Ash with a Charizard because Charizard was my favorite Kanto Pokemon at the time. Popplio is barely any different.

But of course, Charmander gets a free pass because Kanto and Early Installment Weirdness, right? And Popplio is evolving quickly in a series that isn't trying to be battle-heavy to begin with. So I don't see what the problem is.

I'll agree that yes, maybe Popplio should have evolved last year amongst all the filler. But hey, Popplio is so bland that when it evolves is irrelevant, right? :p It would still spend most of it's time in the background no matter what form it's in simply because it has the misfortune of belonging to Lana and not Ash or Lillie.

TL;DR: When Popplio evolves or how long it stays in whatever form really doesn't matter. SM isn't a battle-heavy series anyway, so battle experience is largely irrelevant.

Last edited:

DatsRight

The thing was however, Charmander evolving early at least led to greater characterisation, and arguably also had repercussions from lack of training, arc focus for both it and the trainer. Brionne and Tsareena pretty much just got a freebie power boost and no real substance added to them. Tsareena getting plot armoured to final state and pretty much doing battles like the Persian one single handed with barely any commands was not treated as something against Mallow's capability as a trainer, if anything it tried to make her look more badass. It was a sign they had intentionally skipped over any real development this Pokemon could have.

Status
Not open for further replies.